Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like too many similar stories for it to be a coincidence.  I hope Wideners gets their shit together.  I've ordered from them before, but it was a long time ago.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have an unauth'd charge for $600 show up on my debit once and BBT fixed it within a day.

Pretty sure most debit cards are as zero-fault as credit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And this is why you should NEVER use a debit card.

I have an unauth'd charge for $600 show up on my debit once and BBT fixed it within a day.

Pretty sure most debit cards are as zero-fault as credit.

Same here.

Mine is a Visa debit card from my local credit union.  Had fraud charges 2 or 3 times.  Each time, the inconvenience consisted of a phone call: "Are these your charges?", "No", refund given immediately.  Done.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a phone call from my card yesterday asking about possible fraud charges. Sure enough, someone went to town with it. First was $50 to red cross, then a bunch to different things totaling over $10,000.

Card has been canceled and only the first few charges went through so I need to call and get them removed.

I just used this card at Widners, Amazon and advance auto online.

I am pissed and if it happened because of Widners then I sure wont be using them anymore.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Me too.
Rarely use that card, placed order with Widners, next week theres about 40 fraudulent charges, most overseas.
Bank called and cancelled card, but it's got to be Widners, given the above and fact I only used that card once or twice in the prior months.

Nothing against Widners, they probably just got compromised. Otherwise they are a great merchant.
View Quote

Yeah, great place to shop if you don't mind your credit card info getting hacked. I haven't bought from them before, but probably never will now. They have a shitty ammo policy and I don't feel the need to go through that shit when I can pay the same price or less elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Happened to me too. Ordered some 5.45 from Wideners and got a call 5 days later from CC fraud watch showing a "test" on the card. Got it cancelled before any charges were made. Now I know where it came from. Has anyone contacted them over the matter ?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Happened to me too. Ordered some 5.45 from Wideners and got a call 5 days later from CC fraud watch showing a "test" on the card. Got it cancelled before any charges were made. Now I know where it came from. Has anyone contacted them over the matter ?
View Quote

Im gonna call Monday. I hope some of you guys do to. They can be hard to get on the phone but this needs to be fixed on there end or they're gonna lose alot of us
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Should the photo ID on file concern me ? I just updated it with a blank photo, but what is someone got that ? No SSN on it ,so any worries ?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use one at the issuing bank atm Only.
Before use I look for any kind of skimmer attached.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]
fuck I guess better check my cards
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Good to know but not like I needed ANOTHER reason to NOT to due business with Wideners

fake "factory" CZ-82 mags
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Why do people always think that when their account is compromised, it was the last place they used a card associated to the account. That is such bullshit.
I had a an account with fraudulent charges where the card was NEVER swiped nor left the envelope it was mailed to me in.
A CITI account with lower interest for 6 months on balance xfrs. CITI recently closed the account for lack of use.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
They got me too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
THIS

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
yup.  same thing here.  3k worth of airline tickets on my business card out of puerto rico.  last place used was wideners.  will call them monday and give them a piece of my mind.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#14]
That sucks. Wideners has been one of my go-to vendors. Oh well, I use prepaids to make online purchases anyway.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Got me also; no damage done, caught immediately this morning.  Charges for 13 cents and $3.00?!?  Bought three weeks ago.  Widener's are good folks, so I hope the point of theft is located.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
This just happened to me. Used a CC I haven't used in more than a year. Got some ammo from Widener's, two weeks later my CC called me and cancelled the charges and issues a completely different card.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn my card got hit a week after I ordered from Wideners. Luckily the bank caught it and I was out no money.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#18]
CC people called today. Aparently my CC took a trip around the world. lol.

Card closed another on the way. As much as Wideners relies on internet sales, the problem will be fixed ASAP. Email sent to help them along.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I too had fraudulent charges on my debit card 6 days after using it at Widener's. Not saying they're related for sure, but that's what happened.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why do people always think that when their account is compromised, it was the last place they used a card associated to the account. That is such bullshit.
I had a an account with fraudulent charges where the card was NEVER swiped nor left the envelope it was mailed to me in.
A CITI account with lower interest for 6 months on balance xfrs. CITI recently closed the account for lack of use.
View Quote

Dude have you read any of this thread? Not to mention the other 2 i have going. Im not sure if you work there but ya got to be out there to not see dozens of people who last bought at wideners got there card info taken.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Shit, I bought some 5.45 from Wideners and my card was compromised a few days ago too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#22]
same thing happened to me
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Fuck me....

Same thing happened here....bought a crate of 54R from them...and soon after....got blown up by Bank of America also.

Luckily BOA fraud department caught it ....reversed the charges asap.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#24]
For those of you using CC's with internet monitoring, look into setting up alerts when you have certain activity on your account.  For my credit card I get text messages if it's over $100, out of state, and various other alerts. All are pretty much as soon as they happen too.  If I am making a big purchase I expect the text so it's kind of nice.  I know if I get a random text about my account I can act quickly.

Not foolproof by any means, but a nice addition to help you catch it quickly.  I use capitol one FWIW.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Funny thing is we had a $200 limit on our. But didnt recieve a email like normal for the $900's. I guess they found away around it maybe?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Funny thing is we had a $200 limit on our. But didnt recieve a email like normal for the $900's. I guess they found away around it maybe?
View Quote

Now that you mention it, that happened to mine as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Dam this is becoming a Target deal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#28]
it happens, last year mine got dinged, along with a friend, and a bunch of other people. the common thread? ordered blurays from wbshop.com (was months later tho)

capital one quickly locked my card and was calling me to report there was airline tickets being purchased in florida.
and this is why i pay extra for the best fraud protection on my card. capital one will call if i make purchases over a certain ammount or if theres out of state purchases going on. which is very nice.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Sign me up too.  I bought a bunch of Star Wars toys in CA then booked 4 one way tickets to Greece.  CC caught it fast "since it wasn't all gun stuff".

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

yeah, Dave Ramsey foams at the mouth about credit cards, but he never brings this issue up for discussion.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
yeah, Dave Ramsey foams at the mouth about credit cards, but he never brings this issue up for discussion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He just incorrectly states that debit cards have the same protection as credit. Not the case.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I was contacted three days ago by Visa fraud protection about some "unusual activity" on my card.

Seems two transactions were declined and one put on hold from Istanbul Turkey. Why the put one on hold is beyond me.
So they cancel my card and issue a new one. So, now I'm checking my balances several times a day. Two days later the charge on hold goes thru. I called  and it was refunded to me within 10 minutes.

I couldn't say if my info was gathered from Wideners or not, I've done quite a few online purchases in the last month.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Virtual account numbers.  

They can be a pain to use but they are a guaranteed one use number with no chance of follow up fraud.

I'm thinking it may be a good idea to never use the actual card number online now, and just rely on the virtual numbers.  Makes life more inconvenient but the trade off might be worth it.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Virtual account numbers.  

They can be a pain to use but they are a guaranteed one use number with no chance of follow up fraud.

I'm thinking it may be a good idea to never use the actual card number online now, and just rely on the virtual numbers.  Makes life more inconvenient but the trade off might be worth it.

View Quote

How does that work?

As much as I hate paypal, it offers a certain amount additional protection.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 12:47:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How does that work?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Virtual account numbers.  

How does that work?

If your credit card company offers it, it's pretty simple:

1. Log in to your credit card account
2. Click on "generate me a virtual account number so that them thar crooks can't swipe my info"
3. A one-time use credit card number, expiration date and CCV number appear
4.  Use that info to make your online purchase

The credit card company ties it to your regular account number and it shows up on your statement as usual.  Any subsequent use of that number is denied by the credit card company, making it worthless to the crooks.

I know Citibank offers these, but you'll have to check with your credit cards to see if they do also.  Not every card issuer offers this.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 1:31:38 AM EDT
[#36]
A question & a comment:

Do you guys let Wideners "save" your CC info to keep from having to enter it for each purchase?

This would be a really good way for shady anti-gun foes to wage war on the already ammo shortage front.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 1:49:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've thought about just using prepaid CC's for ammo/parts purchases,the kind you get at walmart and pre load with a however much $$ you want on it.
has anyone tried this,do these CC's work for online purchases?
View Quote

These work GREAT for online purchases, Just make sure that the money is taken off of the card at time of purchase if an item is back ordered, ect as they charge a monthly fee. Everytime i want something online, I head to walmart and pick up a new card with JUST enough for my order [or to the next nearest dollar], Purchase the product, then trash the card. Reason being? This thread explains it perfectly. Its a hassle, and an extra $3, but i dont have issues with my card being comprimised.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:58:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is the best way. It is also an easy way to pay for stuff, where you are concerned the vendor will add recurring charges (subscriptions).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've thought about just using prepaid CC's for ammo/parts purchases,the kind you get at walmart and pre load with a however much $$ you want on it.
has anyone tried this,do these CC's work for online purchases?
I think there is also a way to create a "virtual" credit card with a different number for each purchase, so your own information is never used on the site you are purchasing from.  I've never done it though.  

This is the best way. It is also an easy way to pay for stuff, where you are concerned the vendor will add recurring charges (subscriptions).

I used to use this feature, but Discovercard decided in their infinite wisdom, to cancel it.  Fuckers... guess they figure it's cheaper for them to re-issue me a new card than for me to use a feature that helps keep my info safe from hackers.

My solution?  Visa gift card, pay the $5 extra fee, makes online purchases MUCH safer.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 3:19:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He just incorrectly states that debit cards have the same protection as credit. Not the case.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In some cases, he's right.  I have a Visa debit card.  It's treated just like a Visa CC, as far as protection.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/get-help/financial-skills/debit-cards.jsp

EDIT:  I didn't bother looking up other CC company's policies.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Had the same thing happen the first time I ordered from Wideners. I have ordered many times since with no more fraud issues.  (knock on wood)
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Well what the fuck did weidners say? Do they know half of arfcom got ripped off
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#42]
bought a CZ-82 from Widener's back in February, my card got hit with fraudulent charges mid-March.

Maybe it took 2 weeks to ship because someone was too busy grabbing cc info. rimshot
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#43]
It happened to me too...
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Got me too, less than 2 weeks after purchase, Cap One caught it
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Well, I like ordering from them, but I guess I won't be until they figure this cluster out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I got a call from my CC card company about a suspected fraudulent charge, which it was, and I also made a purchase from Wideners in the past month. Now I know where they got my information.

View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#47]
I ordered a couple cases of 5.45 a few weeks ago and noticed a charge from paypal for $365 yesterday.  I guess they got me too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I ordered a couple cases of 5.45 a few weeks ago and noticed a charge from paypal for $365 yesterday.  I guess they got me too.
View Quote

Wtf
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#49]
I only use pre-paid cards for online purchases now after being taken for a ride when ordering from PSA last year. They work great, and pretty much every vendor will let you use them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Wtf
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf

When did Wideners start taking Pay Pal?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top