Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2014 2:18:56 AM EDT
Does anybody have a copy of the current AR 670-1 with references? from my understanding tattoo's are still allowed on the hand while frowned upon you are still within regulations.

btw I'm not saying I am getting one on the hand or that I'm not getting one on the hand. please let's not discuss weather it's professional or not. just want to see the current AR 670-1, it's hard to find the most current one, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you check the milper messages? The last I saw uniform policy changes was 2005 I think.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:17:54 AM EDT
[#2]
e. Tattoo policy
(1) Tattoos or brands anywhere on the head, face, and neck above the class A uniform collar are prohibited.
(2) Tattoos or brands that are extremist, indecent, sexist, or racist are prohibited, regardless of location on the body,
as they are prejudicial to good order and discipline within units.
(a) Extremist tattoos or brands are those affiliated with, depicting, or symbolizing extremist philosophies, organizations,
or activities. Extremist philosophies, organizations, and activities are those which advocate racial, gender or
ethnic hatred or intolerance; advocate, create, or engage in illegal discrimination based on race, color, gender, ethnicity,
religion, or national origin; or advocate violence or other unlawful means of depriving individual rights under the U.S.
Constitution, Federal, or State law (see para 4–12, AR 600–20).
(b) Indecent tattoos or brands are those that are grossly offensive to modesty, decency, or propriety; shock the moral
sense because of their vulgar, filthy, or disgusting nature or tendency to incite lustful thought; or tend reasonably to
corrupt morals or incite libidinous thoughts.
(c) Sexist tattoos or brands are those that advocate a philosophy that degrades or demeans a person based on gender,
but that may not meet the same definition of “indecent.”
(d) Racist tattoos or brands are those that advocate a philosophy that degrades or demeans a person based on race,
ethnicity, or national origin.
(3) Counseling requirements.
(a) Commanders will ensure soldiers understand the tattoo policy.
(b) For soldiers who are not in compliance, commanders may not order the removal of a tattoo or brand. However,
the commander must counsel soldiers, and afford them the opportunity to seek medical advice about removal or
alteration of the tattoo or brand.
(4) If soldiers are not in compliance with the policy, and refuse to remove or alter the tattoos or brands, commanders
will:
(a) Ensure the soldier understands the policy.
(b) Ensure the soldier has been afforded the opportunity to seek medical advice about removal or alteration.
(c) Counsel the soldier in writing. The counseling form will state that the soldier’s refusal to remove extremist,
indecent, sexist, or racist tattoos or brands anywhere on the body, or refusal to remove any type of tattoo or brand
visible in the class A uniform (worn with slacks/trousers), will result in discharge.
(5) Existing tattoos or brands on the hands that are not extremist, indecent, sexist, or racist, but are visible in the
class A uniform (worn with slacks/trousers), are authorized.
(6) Finality of determination.
(a) Recruiting battalion commanders or recruiting battalion executive officers (0–5 or above) will make initial entry
determinations that tattoos or brands comply with this policy for Active Army and Army Reserve soldiers. This
authority will not be delegated further.
(b) Unit commanders or unit executive officers will make determinations for soldiers currently on active duty. This
authority will not be delegated further.
(c) Recruiting and retention managers (O–5 or above) will make initial entry determinations that tattoos or brands
comply with this policy for National Guard soldiers. This authority will not be delegated further.
(d) Professors of military science (O-5 or above) will make initial entry determinations that tattoos or brands comply
with this policy for ROTC cadets. This authority will not be delegated further.
(e) The Director of Admissions will make initial entry determinations that tattoos or brands comply with this policy
for the U.S. Military Academy cadets. This authority will not be delegated further.
and their location on the body. A copy of the determination will be provided to the soldier. Unless otherwise directed
by the Army Deputy Chief of Staff, G-1, these determinations are final. If a tattoo or brand is discovered to violate this
policy after an initial determination has been documented, commanders must submit requests for an exception to policy
or for discharge through the soldier’s chain of command to the MACOM for approval. Appeals to the MACOM
decision will be forwarded to the Army Deputy Chief of Staff, G-1 for decision.
(7) Soldiers may not cover tattoos or brands in order to comply with the tattoo policy.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Hard to find? Are you being serious?

Google AR 670-1 and download it. Takes 3 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I keep hearing people say it has changed and 2005 seems like it was quite a while with no changes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a new one coming out, but it has not been published yet.  Army Times and other ran stories about what the changes are but the reg has not actually hit the streets yet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I keep hearing people say it has changed and 2005 seems like it was quite a while with no changes.
View Quote

Well, then the burden of proof is on them.

ETA: Ps, don't get a hand or neck tattoo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't get tattoos on your hands.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Such policies change frequently (in the grand scheme of things) via MILPER message.

A tat on your hand is (essentially) for life.

Choosing to get one now would be extremely foolish and short sighted.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Such policies change frequently (in the grand scheme of things) via MILPER message.

A tat on your hand is (essentially) for life.

Choosing to get one now would be extremely foolish and short sighted.

View Quote

Last alaract covering tattoo policy, dated 2005.

The only thing I've seen that has seen updates are the usarec messages for Recruiting Command, clarifying what's allowed on guy entering the military.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top