Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 2:00:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Yeah, they've been asking.  We've been hemming and hawing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 2:10:11 AM EDT
[#2]
If Russia attacked they would just be speed bumps and a trip wire.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 2:13:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 2:31:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Shouldn't be a big deal other than for convenience.  Did training with polish soldiers in hohenfels for pre-deployment training .
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 2:34:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty girls not withstanding.......No.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 2:35:09 AM EDT
[#6]
We should give them nukes and anti ballistic missile defenses.  Well they had the defenses until Obama stripped them from Eastern Europe because they were provocative and unnecessary.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 2:36:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok.

I'm inclined to let them... also that missile defense system.... they can have that too...
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 3:31:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm curious to know what steps they've taken to beef up their own forces and how much they have paid us for weaponry to be better prepared prior to asking us to put forces on the line.  That should be at least part of the litmus test.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 3:37:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Once Putin has secured the Ukraine. Romania and Poland are next.

Don't worry though, our POTUS will be right on it right after his next round of golf.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 3:42:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm curious to know what steps they've taken to beef up their own forces and how much they have paid us for weaponry to be better prepared prior to asking us to put forces on the line.  That should be at least part of the litmus test.
View Quote

If only you had access to a world of information at your fingertips, in some kind of interconnected communications network.  Wouldn't that be cool?  Oh, the things you could learn!
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 3:50:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Once Putin has secured the Ukraine. The baltic states are next.

Don't worry though, our POTUS will be right on it right after his next round of golf.

View Quote

FIFY

There's major tension between them and Russia since their independence.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 3:52:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If only you had access to a world of information at your fingertips, in some kind of interconnected communications network.  Wouldn't that be cool?  Oh, the things you could learn!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bonjour.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 3:53:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Once Putin has secured the Ukraine. Romania and Poland are next.

View Quote

Just heard on Fox News radio that some of Putin's troops have moved into another town..............
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 3:53:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Obummer won't do it - he's busy play basketball and riding his bicycle
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 3:57:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bonjour.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bonjour.

If you haven't learned the difference between random blogs or "news" sites pandering to derpers, and Ministry of Defense Websites, NATO websites (not available now, I admit), established and respected journalism websites - including many devoted to defense topics, etc., then why would you think you could asses the value of  a random post in GD?

But, FWIW, Poland pulls its weight, has been upping its budget,and has in serious talks about developing a domestic Ballistic Missile Defense system (got tired of depending on the US) for some time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:05:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Treaties, how do they work?
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you haven't learned the difference between random blogs or "news" sites pandering to derpers, and Ministry of Defense Websites, NATO websites (not available now, I admit), established and respected journalism websites - including many devoted to defense topics, etc., then why would you think you could asses the value of  a random post in GD?

But, FWIW, Poland pulls its weight, has been upping its budget,and has in serious talks about developing a domestic Ballistic Missile Defense system (got tired of depending on the US) for some time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bonjour.

Poland also sent troops to US led ventures in Iraq and Afghanistan.  The Poles are strong US allies.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:13:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If Russia attacked they would just be speed bumps and a trip wire.
View Quote

Much like the troops in South Korea, they're not there to turn the tide (only 1 Brigade there for example), they are there so that before a shooting war starts the enemy has to decide "is it worth it to engage US troops..will they flash-fry my country ?
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:14:26 AM EDT
[#19]
yeah, because Obama is totally going to put troops in Poland after he pussied out and cancelled the missile defense we promised them. "Reset", anyone?
He still thinks he can talk to Putin and make him our buddy who wants to do the "right thing".

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:15:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Poland also sent troops to US led ventures in Iraq and Afghanistan.  The Poles are strong US allies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bonjour.

This.  I'd much rather actively take the side of nations that have sacrificed for us.  By most accounts the eastern european troops fight in places like Afghanistan.  They don't just warm a cot and consume 3 hots.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#21]
no.
they want a strong US expeditionary capability that will come in and eject the Russians after they invade and build up their A2/AD capabilities.

and, fortunately for them, thats exactly what we will be prepared to do in 2025.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:20:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russia knows, they had a non-aggression treaty with Nazi Germany back in the day.  How did that work?
They made one with the Brits too.
Treaties are worth jack if one side thinks the other is a pushover.
Like how Barry is making us look on the world stage.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:24:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Losses in Iraq in descending order:

USA, UK, Italy, Poland, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Spain, Denmark, Georgia, El Salvador, Slovakia, Romania, Latvia, Estonia, Australia, Netherlands, Thailand, Hungary, Czech Republic, South Korea, Kazakhstan, Fiji.

Obviously Georgia and Kazackhstan were also under the Soviet/Russian thumb...
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:28:14 AM EDT
[#24]
They can pay for the bill too. Maybe that's how we should fund the military, I feel like it's worked before.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I think we're broke.  No foreign entanglements.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They can pay for the bill too. Maybe that's how we should fund the military, I feel like it's worked before.
View Quote

This. Want us to station troops to help your defense? Help with the bill.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I have ZERO faith  in NATO or the United States. Treaties really don't mean anything,there are always weasel words and  realpolitik.

Ukrainians thought that giving up their nukes would guarantee their soverignty Remember how the UN is supposed to react to genocide but doesn't have to do anything about "acts of genocide"? Same deal, Article V will be ignored if/when Putin needs to protect the Russians in Latvia or Estonia. Poland won't roll over and is taking their defense seriously. It'd be nice if the US would fork over some boneyard F-16s and/or F-18s to replace the old Sukhois but what they really need are AGM-158/Taurus/Storm Shadow missiles. Poland's main defense issue is that Russian and Belarusian S-400s have a range way into Polish territory and they need a way to snuff them. Another big issue is that the Russian reaction to withdrawing the idea of ballistic defense in Poland was to deploy Iskanders to Kaliningrad.They need missile defense themselves.

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:37:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know Poles fought in Iraq and Afghanistan when the threat to Poland from Saddam or Al Qaeda was zero?

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:38:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think we're broke.  No foreign entanglements.
View Quote

Poland fought alongside us in Iraq and Afghanistan.  They are one of the few countries we should support with troops, because they supported us.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:40:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

you know, if we deter war instead of fighting it, we could save money in other areas.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:45:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I guarantee you Poland is on Putins list. I would ask for help too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:46:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We should give them nukes and anti ballistic missile defenses.  Well they had the defenses until Obama stripped them from Eastern Europe because they were provocative and unnecessary.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:48:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Obummer won't do it - he's busy play basketball and riding his bicycle
View Quote

He is such an embarrassment. How we end up with a community organizer from Chicago as President?........Oh, that's right ......Free Shit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:48:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This has got to be a joke, right?
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:09:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:21:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You do know Poles fought in Iraq and Afghanistan when the threat to Poland from Saddam or Al Qaeda was zero?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but I see that as more as rendering aide to an ally in a time of war rather than peacetime defense assistance and deterrence.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Tell em to whip out their credit card!

ETA: should learn to read all posts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:26:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes, but I see that as more as rendering aide to an ally in a time of war rather than peacetime defense assistance and deterrence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we don't start doing a better job with the latter, we just might find us stuck in a very expensive version of the former.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If we don't start doing a better job with the latter, we just might find us stuck in a very expensive version of the former.
View Quote

Isn't that the plan?
Be a shame to buy all those F22s and F35s and just replace them 40 years from now unused.

NATO?  That old school.
We new school.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:31:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This should help speed the decision up:

http://euro2012girls.com/pictures/best-polish-girls-euro08.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they've been asking.  We've been hemming and hawing.

This should help speed the decision up:

http://euro2012girls.com/pictures/best-polish-girls-euro08.jpg

Do you think they would take a 45 yo guy with no previous military experience?
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:31:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And when Russian armor is crossing the Vistula, GD will say "it's too late for us to do anything, so no."
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please provide reference material indicating an absolute obligation to send people and other support just because they ask.  Who is it that has attacked them again?

I'll be waiting patiently to see what you turn up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

you know, if we deter war instead of fighting it, we could save money in other areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that. I need more ribbons for my ASUs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bonjour.

Out of the European countries we have relations with, Poles are one of the better countries to help out.  The Polish SOF guys I worked with in AFG were good guys and not afraid to run and gun.  They also hate Russia and had good "Polish Water"" to share.  I'm all for putting troops there, they would appreciate it more than the other NATO countries.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#45]
And Obama will continue to not support key allies and further alienate them.

Making it impossible to conduct business on a global scale, just like it very nearly is now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe we should ask some of our former allies like Poland.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bonjour.

Couldn't agree more.  They made the decision to join NATO and its a great country. Poland would make a great basing location, give us access to a new training area, and make Russia angry too.  We could also help them out and give them a few more F-16s, older Perry class FFGs, and maybe help them get some more Leo IIs from Germany.

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cutting things to save money. Only ends up costing a lot more down the road to over come those strengths we allowed to become weaknesses.

So yeah. Spot on.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Please provide reference material indicating an absolute obligation to send people and other support just because they ask.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please provide reference material indicating an absolute obligation to send people and other support just because they ask.

Article 5 of the NATO treaty...but I don't trust the US.

Eastern Europeans dying for America's goals of ??? in  Afghanistan are one thing but I have absolutely no faith that the US would protect the Baltics  or Romania in event of a Russian invasion.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Brits have been moving their forces out of German training areas for years and using Poland more and more due to the Polish government not putting all sorts of green regulations on the training areas. Pull out of Germany, shift those force to Poland where the women a re hotter and the people would better appreciate us being there while maintaining the same European presence.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top