Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Doh! I just replaced my entire house with the CREE 75W 2700K bulbs... 100 lumen difference shouldn't make a difference.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yup, the LED light bulb will love you long time
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

Yup, the LED light bulb will love you long time

And you won't get too hot....
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good point, that will save me even more $$$ in the summer as the office is in the attic and really heats up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another real-world example -

I just replaced 4 65w hi-hats in my home office that run 16 hours a day.

I bought these bulbs - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4CPKT4/ that make the room brighter than the old bulbs ever did.

Total investment $83.88.

Old usage - 65w x 4 x 16 = 4.16 KWh per day @ $0.16 per KWh = $0.64/day = $242.94 per year

New usage - 10.5w x 4 x 16 = 0.672 KWh per day @ $0.16 per KWh = $0.11/day = $39.24 per year

Savings in electricity - $203.70 per year (plus about $15 in replacement bulbs)

Your room will also be noticeably cooler than it used to be. I replaced the under cabinet xenon lights in my kitchen with LEDs and knocked the normal temp in the room down by 10 degrees.

Good point, that will save me even more $$$ in the summer as the office is in the attic and really heats up.

Of course that's only July and August for you.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
100 watt equivalent or 100 watt actual.

With LED there is a HUGE difference.

a 100 watt actual LED is enough to run a grow operation off of.
View Quote

What do you think?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe for the COTS models you find at home depot but considering LEDs can be found in more wavelengths than either incandescent or fluorescent it can definitely be done. Plus LEDs generally have a super tall bandwidth emission peak you need fewer watts to do the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
100 watt equivalent or 100 watt actual.

With LED there is a HUGE difference.

a 100 watt actual LED is enough to run a grow operation off of.

Not enough heat, nor the correct UV wavelength to grow anything off of it.

Maybe for the COTS models you find at home depot but considering LEDs can be found in more wavelengths than either incandescent or fluorescent it can definitely be done. Plus LEDs generally have a super tall bandwidth emission peak you need fewer watts to do the job.

The lower power consumption and waste heat would make an LED powered grow operation much harder to detect.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can vary the brightness on my fixtures from just enough light to see the bottom of the tank to holy shit that's gonna fry something  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I can vary the brightness on my fixtures from just enough light to see the bottom of the tank to holy shit that's gonna fry something  

You're only scratching the surface of what you can do with even lowly 8bit PWM. You're also losing the effiency that you get from running the LEDs in their optimum range. Dimming with PWM scales the efficiency with the duty cycle.

Quoted:

Not sure on the brand, but the light in the nursery is some new-fangled LED I bought at Home Depot. It just isn't the warm light one gets from real bulbs. I'll give it points for longevity, sure, but outside of nightlight duties, I am unimpressed so far.

My flashlights? Sure. Weaponlights? Of course. Even certain low-use duties around the house (in the shed, for example), why not? But my living room? Not yet.

You got crappy LEDs. Buy a bulb with 90+ cri, in the 2700 - 4500 heat range and get back to us.

Quoted:

The lower power consumption and waste heat would make an LED powered grow operation much harder to detect.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anybody out there have experience with replacing car headlight bulbs with drop in LED units?
View Quote

I've got an H4 LED bulb in the mail that I'm going to use on a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But how can I fit it into my Surefire G2 ?

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I have bought about a dozen of the 60 watt Cree bulbs as well as a few 40 and 75 watt bulbs,

I like the 2700 K spectrum light (soft white).

They are good bulbs and disappear from the HD shelves as fast as they put them out.

I am pleased to support a US manufacturer.

I would try the 100 watt if I needed one.

I replaced over 50 bulbs with LEDs and my bill went down about $60.

These will pay for themselves in about 2 years.

However, I keep every receipt and package label and if any of them go out before the 10 year warranty I will demand refund or replacement.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What?  How's that work?  Never heard they will not attract bugs.  I need info on this and will have to get some of these lights if true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been slowly replacing all the bulbs in my house with LEDs.

Plus they're awesome outdoors. No bugs and I live on a lake.

What?  How's that work?  Never heard they will not attract bugs.  I need info on this and will have to get some of these lights if true.

Not official info, but I use the 12v mr16 led bulbs hooked to 12v batteries when camping and way less bugs than other lighting options I have used.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wonder what k it puts out? 2700k, 5000k?
What is the best for inside a house?
View Quote

You can get either 2700k or 5000 k for the other bulbs.

Probably the same for this one.

Check before you buy because often people mix them up in the bins.

Love the 2700, hate the 5000 k.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not official info, but I use the 12v mr16 led bulbs hooked to 12v batteries when camping and way less bugs than other lighting options I have used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a bug zapper and crosscheck.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
FYI  I will buy one when I see it in the store.  
View Quote

They have been available at my local HD for at least a month or so now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to look for these in the AM.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Cree bulbs in a different league than the others I've tried. Try one Cree 2700k bulb and I bet you'll change your opinion. Make sure you swap with the same comparable wattage. Depending on your locale they can be as low as $4.97.
View Quote

Bro, bro... you are CLEARLY not a light connoisseur.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Cree bulbs in a different league than the others I've tried. Try one Cree 2700k bulb and I bet you'll change your opinion. Make sure you swap with the same comparable wattage. Depending on your locale they can be as low as $4.97.

Care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:17:11 AM EDT
[#19]
My 5 pack showed up yesterday.  Installed one in the dining room and that thing is nice.  Very good clean light.  No warm up time.  

Going to put a few out in the barn to see how my wife likes them.  

CHRIS
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:38:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

My 5 pack showed up yesterday.  Installed one in the dining room and that thing is nice.  Very good clean light.  No warm up time.  

CHRIS
View Quote
Why do you keep your wife in the barn?

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:53:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

CHRIS
Easier to clean poops out there.  

CHRIS

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:06:14 AM EDT
[#22]
What kills CFLs is short cycling.  They do not work for closet or bath room lighting where burn time is minutes rather than hours.  On at dusk, off at dawn, they will exceed their estimated run time.  They are very heat sensitive, and some can not be installed base up, or thy will burn out in short order.

Interesting that Cree is instant on.  Phillips builds  soft start circuitry into their LEDs because they claim the instant on shortens board (not actual LED) life.  Only actual field use will confirm if the LED lives up to the longevity claims.

A post above states he saved $60/month on his power bill, WTF?  With HVAC, water heating, cooking, and lighting, I rarely have a total elect bill of $60 in one month.  For the above mentioned lighting, that house must be used as a landmark at night for the Space Station.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:17:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:18:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not everyone lives the same or pays the same per KWh for electricity. My electric bill averages $400 a month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A post above states he saved $60/month on his power bill, WTF?  With HVAC, water heating, cooking, and lighting, I rarely have a total elect bill of $60 in one month.  For the above mentioned lighting, that house must be used as a landmark at night for the Space Station.

Not everyone lives the same or pays the same per KWh for electricity. My electric bill averages $400 a month.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They don't produce UV  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't produce UV  

Hmm. I always thought it was the IR spectrum that attracted bugs.

Learn something new everyday here...

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I will buy a couple to try them out.  But then the electric company will have to raise my rates because their profits are down.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn I haven't had an electric bill in 5 years
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:34:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

CHRIS
View Quote

No warm up but they do have an annoying half second delay before they come on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:39:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
good plan.

I don't know why all these cfl and LED makers think that I want to replace 60 or 75 watt traditional bulbs with more efficient versions.

I want bright.

View Quote

They are bright.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:59:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

$20 for a light bulb?

View Quote
You can buy them for $10, now, if you watch the sales ads.

Still WAY too expensive, when I can buy honest 800 lumen 13 watt compact fluorescent bulbs that replace a 60 watt incandescent bulb, that I pay LESS than $1 for, including sales tax. I bought a pack of 8 CFL's for less than $7. That was 3 years ago. I've only used half of them, to replace burned out fluorescent bulbs.

No LED's for me until they come down at LEAST 60% in cost. Twenty years ago, compact fluorescent bulbs cost $10 - $15. They were new.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

and I guarantee in any area that sees regular use you will save many multiples of that $20 over the next few years in electricity and replacement bulbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

and I guarantee in any area that sees regular use you will save many multiples of that $20 over the next few years in electricity and replacement bulbs.

True dat.

I have an office with no lighting.  I use a torchiere lamp, to throw light up, and it needs a 100w bulb to accomplish anything.  They fail/go out ALL THE TIME.  I just had to replace it again yesterday.  I bet I go through at least 4-5 bulbs a year (this light sees a lot of use as it is my office), not to mention the cost of electricity.

$20?  No problem, will be picking on up next time I am in the area.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckin' A, man!  

Even in the hottest summer months, we never pass $150 in a 4400 sf house, and that's with two kids who like it a bit cooler than what I prefer.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:17:37 AM EDT
[#33]
As my cfls burn out I've been replacing them with the Crees. Soft white all the way.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I bought these bulbs - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4CPKT4/ that make the room brighter than the old bulbs ever did.

Total investment $83.88.

Old usage - 65w x 4 x 16 = 4.16 KWh per day @ $0.16 per KWh = $0.64/day = $242.94 per year

New usage - 10.5w x 4 x 16 = 0.672 KWh per day @ $0.16 per KWh = $0.11/day = $39.24 per year

View Quote

How do you like those?

We have 6 BR40's in the kitchen.  In the past two years, I have twice picked up a single LED replacement bulb, and both times the wife rejected them.  She can detect the color of the light difference (she says it is more purple colored, and finds them much harsher.  She also complains that they are visibly blinding when you look upwards, and you can see ours as they are flush with the ceiling.  She also cannot stand the half-second on-delay the LED's I have tried have.

I am dying to replace them but I *have* to have a damned near perfect match with incandescent.  I have always been careful and bought good lights with good reviews and 2700k temps, but no dice thus far.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Doh! I just replaced my entire house with the CREE 75W 2700K bulbs... 100 lumen difference shouldn't make a difference.
View Quote

Why did you have to replace your house?  Did it burn down like the houses where owners used Cree dehumidifiers?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
you just need to figure out how to do a 3-way
View Quote

You had me at 3-Way.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How do you like those?

We have 6 BR40's in the kitchen.  In the past two years, I have twice picked up a single LED replacement bulb, and both times the wife rejected them.  She can detect the color of the light difference (she says it is more purple colored, and finds them much harsher.  She also complains that they are visibly blinding when you look upwards, and you can see ours as they are flush with the ceiling.  She also cannot stand the half-second on-delay the LED's I have tried have.

I am dying to replace them but I *have* to have a damned near perfect match with incandescent.  I have always been careful and bought good lights with good reviews and 2700k temps, but no dice thus far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total investment $83.88.

How do you like those?

Sounds like you're using phillips brand since they're the only ones I know that have the soft on.  Try another brand.  You're on the money for color temp, make sure you're getting 90+ cri if possible.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You had me at 3-Way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you just need to figure out how to do a 3-way

You had me at 3-Way.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

Considering it lasts well over 11 years, and doesn't waste energy, by turning it to heat, its a good deal. While I disagree with a ban, and it should be left up to the people to decide, in the long run, its much cheaper than incandescent.
Yup.

Just because it puts out heat, doesn't mean the energy is wasted.  I'd guess about 2/3 of the time that the average person used incandescent lights, the heat was a beneficial side effect.  In some situations an incandescent light is an economical method of providing heat to a small area.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Just because it puts out heat, doesn't mean the energy is wasted.  I'd guess about 2/3 of the time that the average person used incandescent lights, the heat was a beneficial side effect.  In some situations an incandescent light is an economical method of providing heat to a small area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

Considering it lasts well over 11 years, and doesn't waste energy, by turning it to heat, its a good deal. While I disagree with a ban, and it should be left up to the people to decide, in the long run, its much cheaper than incandescent.
Yup.

I imagine in colder climates this would be the case. In the South it would be a benefit to not have the excess heat to cool back down. It's highly dependent on where you live.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Have Cree's always been made in the US?  I know they were always one of the top LEDs on the market, just always thought they were made in China?

If they are all truly made in US I have no problem with paying more for them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#42]
The need to hurry the fuck up.  None at HD yet.  They do have the 75W marked down from 19.99 to 15.99.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Have Cree's always been made in the US?  I know they were always one of the top LEDs on the market, just always thought they were made in China?

View Quote

I think they "assembled" in the USA from chinese parts...
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm. Are these new line of bulbs supposed to have all parts manufactured in the US or just assembled with all Chinese parts?

As far as I knew all LEDs were Chinese made, including Cree just because of they way they are produced and we aren't set up here to make the diodes, let a lone for a cost effective price like Chinese made LEDs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#45]
For the people that can't get past the $20 price tag let me throw something at you.

Socal Edison has pretty expensive tiered pricing. During the summer when you are running a pool pump and an AC it's possible to get into tier 5 pricing which is mucho dinero. LED lighting can make enough difference to keep you in tier 3 or tier 4. The savings on this is way more than what the manufacturers are claiming.

I could recoup the cost of some of my lights in one summer.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

For the people that can't get past the $20 price tag let me throw something at you.

Socal Edison has pretty expensive tiered pricing. During the summer when you are running a pool pump and an AC it's possible to get into tier 5 pricing which is mucho dinero. LED lighting can make enough difference to keep you in tier 3 or tier 4. The savings on this is way more than what the manufacturers are claiming.

I could recoup the cost of some of my lights in one summer.
View Quote

Or you guys could build some more power plants and have cheaper power and no brown outs...

Oh wait...you can't...the enviro-nazis won't let you.

That said...I'm all for these new bulbs...initial cost sucks, but the overall investment in them is sound.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Or you guys the U.S. could build some more power plants and have cheaper power and no brown outs...

Oh wait...you WE can't...the enviro-nazis EPA/Obummer/whoever won't let you us.

That said...I'm all for these new bulbs...initial cost sucks, but the overall investment in them is sound.

View Quote

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

Then why do all the LED bulbs have massive fucking heat sinks on them?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#49]
The circuitry is sensitive to heat.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
They're switching. Fly often, you'll see more and more areas, especially new developments, as cold white at night, not orange. As more mercury vapor is replaced with LED, US cities will go from orange sparkles to white sparkles at night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see LED light bulbs as an easy way to reduce our demand for foreign oil.

Imagine if every street light in America was switched over to LEDs. Less wasted energy used per night for lighting roads and parking lots. You also have a Better CRI index so you'll see things clearer.

My policy is we need to drill for more domestic oil/gas, but also reduce energy consumption on the user end. Changing light bulbs is something that's easy to implement.

They're switching. Fly often, you'll see more and more areas, especially new developments, as cold white at night, not orange. As more mercury vapor is replaced with LED, US cities will go from orange sparkles to white sparkles at night.
That'll piss off the astronomers.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top