Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2001 3:35:12 PM EDT
I just got a Gen II Cobra night vision scope.  I can't decide which rifle to put in on.  The choice is between a preban Eagle Arms EA15 20" or a Savage 110FP in 30-06.  I was thinking the 30-06 but the scope is only 3X, so the rifle, it seems, would outshoot the scope.  Also, on a moonlit night I can see a long way with it, but on a cloudy night you are restricted to approx 300 meters using the built in IR light, so maybe I should put it on the AR (EA15).  Also, I was told that with the lens cover on for daytime use, the image is off so I can't zero it during the day.  Is that true?  If so, I am going to have a hell of time finding a range at night to zero it.  Thanks in advance for input.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I would put it on the AR.  I can't think of a reason why you could'nt zero it during the day, when I was in the Army we used the day covers and zeroed our PVS-4's.  Besides that it is an image you are looking at, not the actual object as with a conventional scope, with an NVD it's more like looking through a camcorder at a screen.  Can't hurt to try anyway.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]

From the Cobra Website - [;)]

Night Vision FAQ's

1. Q: What are the differences between Generation I, Generation II and Generation III night vision devices?
A: The main difference between various night vision devices is the intensifier or photocathode tube. Generation I devices use a photocathode tube which amplifies ambient light by accelerating electrons and striking the phosphorescent screen which in turn provides an image that is magnified and easily viewed by the night scopes ocular or eyepiece. Generation II devices use a micro-channel plate to achieve lower image distortion as well as higher light amplification characteristics. Generation III adds Gallium Arsenide to the Intensifier tube and a special protective film on the micro-channel plate, which increases the life of the tube. Today, Generation II and III devices, while superior in light amplification to Generation I, are priced in the neighborhood of $1,500 USD to $10,000 USD, well beyond the reach of the average consumer. Generation I devices are the most reasonably priced Night Vision products and thus provide the greatest value to consumer and other enthusiasts seeking night vision capabilities.

2. Q: What is the effective viewing range of the Night Vision Device?
A: It varies anywhere from 10 to 400 ft. The maximum viewing distance depends on the conditions of use. Overcast conditions, fog, rain etc. may reduce the effective distance of a night vision viewer. An Infra-red illuminator will increase your viewing range, especially in enclosed spaces like a warehouse, garage or other enclosed parameters.

3. Q: Can I use a Night Vision device in extremely low light, or absolutely no light conditions?
A: While it is true that your Night Vision device needs some available light to work, it is still possible to see a bright image in low light or no light conditions with the use of an Infrared Illuminator, which can be either built-in or attached to the device. On most of the Cobra product line, the Infrared Illuminator is either standard, or available as an option.

4. Q: What is the maximum effective distance of the Infrared Illuminator?
A: It varies from model to model, but typically, anywhere between 75 and 250 ft.

6. Q: What type of light source can be harmful to a Night Vision Device?
A: Your night vision device is designed to be used to assist your viewing in the dark. It may be harmful and will likely damage the device if you use it during the daytime or whenever there is sufficient light to see the object. Also keep in mind that strong direct light, such as projectors, car headlamps, strong flashlights and so on, may be harmful to your night vision unit if you direct you device at the source of these intense lights.

7. Q: How do I generally focus a Night Vision Device?
A: It is recommended to start focusing from the eyepiece (ocular lens) and then move to the front lens (objective lens). You may have to adjust each lens several times before getting a sharp image.

8. Q: Are Cobra products shockproof?
A: No. Night Vision products are sensitive to impact and should be treated as, for example, a photographic camera, or a camcorder.

9. Q: Can a Night Vision device and/or Infrared Illuminator be harmful to an individual?
A: Night vision products produced by Cobra Optics comply with FDA regulations in terms of safety for an electronic device, similar to other electronic devices such as televisions, and radios. Individuals
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, did not realize that Gen II might present a hassle when traveling abroad.  Maybe I should have gotten the Gen I, but I have heard they tend to emit a bit more radiation that Gen II or III.  Thanks for the input guys.  Gen I is a lot less expensive, but I thought the Gen II would be worth it.  What is the address for the Cobra website?
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
you will need a good flash supressor on the ar.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]
mattsd, that's what I have been told.  They said the A2 flash hider doesn't work well enough so I am going to get a Vortex or Phantom now that, with y'alls inputs, I am going to put the scope on the AR.  I am told they both work real well.  Do you think the extra money for Gen II is worth it compared to Gen I.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top