Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I just wish I could get keymod sections to attach to my quadrail so I could mount all those keymod accessories.  That would be sweet.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Keymods are great if you intend to change bed sizes often.

Sometimes I want a nice lightweight twin size bed. Other times I need a huge king size platform.

Keymod allows me to utilize dynamic bed sizes to fit my operation.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, I just wish we could go back to 2005 when huge, heavy, boxy rails were cool and we were all spied on without our knowledge (FU SNOWDEN! for showing us).

The good ole days.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yup.

I have a VLTOR CAS-V foreend, and for that there are railed sections you put on to attach things.

Keymod is basically a standard, so you don't have to worry about getting VLTOR rail sections, or Troy rail sections, etc.  
And I'm sure going forward, there will be more things that are direct keymod, eliminating the need for rails.

And the advantage?    Weight and comfort IMO.  

this, my keymod rails are significantly lighter than my fill railed free floats or my mk3 geissele rails.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty sure it's just a standard way to attach rails and shit to the handguard.. so you don't have to get rails and all that are specific to your handguard.

So you buy a keyed system to buy railed keyed sections to add 1913 std things you own to it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yup.

I have a VLTOR CAS-V foreend, and for that there are railed sections you put on to attach things.

Keymod is basically a standard, so you don't have to worry about getting VLTOR rail sections, or Troy rail sections, etc.  
And I'm sure going forward, there will be more things that are direct keymod, eliminating the need for rails.

And the advantage?    Weight and comfort IMO.  

this, my keymod rails are significantly lighter than my fill railed free floats or my mk3 geissele rails.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Show me a lighter rail system that you don't have to add a top-rail to for your BUIS, light, etc. than the BCM.
View Quote

It's been said a million times already.

The Geissele Mk4 OG.  (And seriously, when they bring it back -WHEN, not if- they need to call it that.  That's another one for free, Geissele.  You're welcome.)

BUIS goes right on top like normal.
Light goes at either 3:00 or 9:00 like normal.  Use a remote pressure pad if you like.  Like normal.
Laser?  Right on top, like normal.
Bipod?  Got that covered, too.

Want to put more shit than that on your rifle?  Then you need a quad rail anyhow.

The Mk4 OG, once you consider all the extra panels you're attaching to get your accessories on, is lighter, simpler, and cheaper.  And you don't have to mess with adapters.

Even in the case where you buy new accessories, the Mk4 is STILL lighter, because the keymod adds weight over the skeleton config.

For a brief, shining moment in time, the AR15 had reached a pinnacle of perfection.

And then it was gone...  

But it will return again.  Have faith.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#6]

If I lived near the Geissele facility I swear I'd be outside with a sign protesting keymod and demanding the original MK4.

They are getting harder to find and it is pissing me off.

And one more time...

F UUUUUUUUUUU Keymod!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Keymod, compared to pic rails, has a really nice profit margin (i.e.: shit-ton easier to manufacture).
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Geissele Mk4 OG.  (And seriously, when they bring it back -WHEN, not if- they need to call it that.  That's another one for free, Geissele.  You're welcome.)

Light goes at either 3:00 or 9:00 like normal.  Use a remote pressure pad if you like.  Like normal.

Want to put more shit than that on your rifle?  Then you need a quad rail anyhow.

The Mk4 OG, once you consider all the extra panels you're attaching to get your accessories on, is lighter, simpler, and cheaper.  And you don't have to mess with adapters.

Even in the case where you buy new accessories, the Mk4 is STILL lighter, because the keymod adds weight over the skeleton config.

For a brief, shining moment in time, the AR15 had reached a pinnacle of perfection.

And then it was gone...  

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s675/TrojanManSCP/E67D6DA7-9A79-495E-B248-3882267AF523-887-0000010FB06E9F28_zps471b43f8.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Show me a lighter rail system that you don't have to add a top-rail to for your BUIS, light, etc. than the BCM.

And then it was gone...  

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s675/TrojanManSCP/E67D6DA7-9A79-495E-B248-3882267AF523-887-0000010FB06E9F28_zps471b43f8.jpg

I agree with this. The mk4 and I'll add the urx3 were optimal AR rails. Everything you need. Simple, well positioned, good to go.

Also, nice cola rifle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Keymod, compared to pic rails, has a really nice profit margin (i.e.: shit-ton easier to manufacture).
View Quote

Cheaper easier to manufacture. Check
Costs the same... Check

Off with the heads of these keymod capitalist.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Costs the same... Check

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Costs the same... Check

Your tactical guilt is showing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Costs the same... Check

I only have tactical guilt for things... um.. ahh.. tactical.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't wait until somebody puts a keymod point on the dustcover of a pistol.

Watch, I'll bet you $5 the M&Ps will do it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Keymods are great if you intend to change bed sizes often.

Sometimes I want a nice lightweight twin size bed. Other times I need a huge king size platform.

Keymod allows me to utilize dynamic bed sizes to fit my operation.

http://images.costco.com/image/media/500-316056-847__1.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I would expect it would be a bit lighter than a standard 4-rail handguard.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Keymod,
For when simplicity is not complicated enough.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There's mounts with keymod attachments, so imagine directly attaching a light without the added bulk of a pictatinny rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty sure it's just a standard way to attach rails and shit to the handguard.. so you don't have to get rails and all that are specific to your handguard.

So you buy a keyed system to buy railed keyed sections to add 1913 std things you own to it?

There's mounts with keymod attachments, so imagine directly attaching a light without the added bulk of a pictatinny rail.

The whole point of the picatinny rail was to have a standard mounting system to quickly mount things to and for optics to have a secure return to zero system.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I would expect it would be a bit lighter than a standard 4-rail handguard.
View Quote
Till you add the keys locks :)

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#18]
What keymod does in my opinion is make the older modular rails (like Troy alpha rail) obsolete.  Because the components have captive bolts it is much easier to add or remove than on the older systems where a backing plate had to be somehow held in place while screwing on the front piece.  Depending on location removing the rail might have been needed.  

The new system makes it trivial to add or remove parts, and if the standard takes off it will be easy to switch parts between compatible rails.

I absolutely love my BCM keymod upper.    I wish I had one on all my ARs.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#19]
It isn't really 1913 vs Keymod it's really keymod vs other modular mounting systems.  Keymod just made an industry standard for removable 1913 sections with the future ability to mount items directly to the Keymod system.

I don't mount tons of stuff on my rifle, just panels to mitigate heat and a light.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If I lived near the Geissele facility I swear I'd be outside with a sign protesting keymod and demanding the original MK4.

They are getting harder to find and it is pissing me off.

And one more time...

F UUUUUUUUUUU Keymod!!!!!!!!!!

View Quote

When is the protest planned for?

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Compared to the oval cuts on the old MK4s, the keymod looks like shit on a Sunday shoe.

Those ovals were cut out so nicely and beveled with a ball end mill. Pure perfection of dynamic machining art.

The keymods are just holes that look like dicks. No cool bevels or anything because that wouldn't work right for a bolt.

Nice rail = things cut out with expensive awesome tooling.

Keymod = cut out with two different sized drill bits, cause bolts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the keymod,

I don't think it's that much easier to manufacture based on tooling, but it feels better in my hands.

Of course all I do is shoot dirt, and weeds, so.....  Whatever looks cool I guess.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Plus the keymod is adding weight to the MK4
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Compared to the oval cuts on the old MK4s, the keymod looks like shit on a Sunday shoe.

Those ovals were cut out so nicely and beveled with a ball end mill. Pure perfection of dynamic machining art.

The keymods are just holes that look like dicks. No cool bevels or anything because that wouldn't work right for a bolt.

View Quote

Nope, if it's made to "spec" its back bored at 60?? degrees, and can be beveled as well.

It makes me wonder if part of the hate for keymod is because people are not manufacturing it correct. If it doesn't have the angle on the back bore, the keys can't seat correctly and will come loose.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Mmmm dat keymod.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nah. They'll just put the keymod attachment on the frame.  That way you can attach your pistol to your FWD rail.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see.  So it's more about Gucci and Prada thing, and "looking good" than utilitarian?
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nope, if it's made to "spec" its back bored at 60?? degrees, and can be beveled as well.

It makes me wonder if part of the hate for keymod is because people are not manufacturing it correct. If it doesn't have the angle on the back bore, the keys can't seat correctly and will come loose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't find a pic on google to show the angle but I do find a lot that just look like they are drilled. 60 degree back bore would make more sense but it's still a row of bracketry bedframe dicks.

All the pics I can find look like this. Straight drill through.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I see.  So it's more about Gucci and Prada thing, and "looking good" than utilitarian?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets see the pics of your keymod rifle that doesn't have cheese graters but is covered in grip panels.

I'll take my MK4.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I can't find a pic on google to show the angle but I do find a lot that just look like they are drilled. 60 degree back bore would make more sense but it's still a row of bracketry bedframe dicks.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/j4enh.r2en5/v/vspfiles/photos/PWS-5KMR1151-3.jpg?1379060671
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/j4enh.r2en5/v/vspfiles/photos/PWS-5KMR1151-3.jpg?1379060671

Because that is not where they are back-beveled, by design:

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck yea it is.
Not like anyone is going to be taking their rifles to war or anything.
Where the rubber meets the road is the ultra majority of rifles exist for nothing more than showing off how much money you can sink into a rifle.
Cardboard and paper targets don't care if something is utilitarian or not.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lets see the pics of your keymod rifle that doesn't have cheese graters but is covered in grip panels.

I'll take my MK4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take my MK4.

I already posted a pic of my rifle in this thread.  You fail.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fuck yea it is.

Not like anyone is going to be taking their rifles to war of anything.

Where the rubber meets the road is the ultra majority of rifles exist for nothing more than showing off how much money you can sink into a rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck yea it is.

Not like anyone is going to be taking their rifles to war of anything.

You get bonus points for being honest about it.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Keymod_slot.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Keymod_slot.JPG

I will raise you a
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dick thread
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You want utilitarian?  

I'm the guy that hacked a hole in the side of his handguards to use an old ass .22 scope ring to mount a flashlight...

I don't need rails, keymods, mount-n-slots...  Direct access!

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well then buy one of those instead.  Why are you complaining about more choices?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A rail system that doesn't require the cheese grater bulk and weight of the rail sections.  There are a lot of accessories coming out that connect directly to the keymod slots.  Basically shaving some considerable weight while giving you a nice smooth grip that can't be as easily damaged by dings and drops.  No need for covers.

Just like every other well thought out lightweight non keymod  rail?

Well then buy one of those instead.  Why are you complaining about more choices?

He's an AK fan. He's just pissed because the one factory tactical part meant for his AK is probably buried under an apartment building in Budapest.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Fuck yea it is.
Not like anyone is going to be taking their rifles to war or anything.

View Quote
You mean my tomahawk is a fashion statement and not for breaching in the middle of the night?

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian
View Quote

whatever bro.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
He's an AK fan. He's just pissed because the one factory tactical part meant for his AK is probably buried under an apartment building in Budapest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At least the commercial version of my rifle has the ability to mount a bayonet.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Plus keymod looks fugly. Nor do I think its too comfortable, plus the size of the "keymod" cuts forces designs to have more metal = heavier.
View Quote

The KM13 is like 5.5 ounces, not counting the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shits given unless its a halberd mount.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Guess I was ahead of the curve when I went with a Midwest Industries SS-Series Gen 2.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

whatever bro.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian utilitarian

whatever bro.

"whatever" is how a woman responds when you made her your bitch.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

whatever bro.

You talk all this fucking utilitarian bullshit when you know damn well you bought it because Costa and Haley told you too.

You keep your utilitarian, I'll take my less weight (weighs less), beveled edge (no need for bolt on grip panels), can still mount what I need (utilitarian), MK4.

UTILITARIAN!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#48]
man, fuck all this. I only mount shit at 12:00, a light and a goddamn sight. that's it. if God grants me the money for night vision, that shit will go at 12:00 too. I'm sticking with the alpha rail, you kids can keep feeding the monster if you want.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Has anyone attached another Keymod rail to their Keymod rail on their rifle to effectively double the keymod mounting space for keymod accessories yet?
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You talk all this fucking utilitarian bullshit when you know damn well you bought it because Costa and Haley told you too.

You keep your utilitarian, I'll take my less weight (weighs less), beveled edge (no need for bolt on grip panels), can still mount what I need (utilitarian), MK4.

UTILITARIAN!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

whatever bro.

UTILITARIAN!!

Did someone say utilitarian?

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top