Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/7/2014 7:50:07 AM EDT
Woman's Auto-Payments Hid Her Death for Six Years

For years, the payments went out of the woman's bank account.

Nobody batted an eyelid. Bills were paid. And life went on as normal in the quiet neighborhood of Pontiac, Michigan.

Neighbors didn't notice anything unusual. The woman traveled a lot, they said, and kept to herself. One of them mowed her grass to keep things looking tidy.

At some point, her bank account ran dry. The bills stopped being paid.

After its warnings went unanswered, the bank holding the mortgage foreclosed on the house, a common occurrence in a region hit hard by economic woes.

Still, nobody noticed what had happened inside the house. Nobody wondered out loud what had become of the owner.

Not until this week, when a worker sent by the bank to repair a hole in the roof made a grisly discovery.

The woman's mummified body was sitting in the backseat of her car, parked in the garage. The key was halfway in the ignition.

Authorities say they believe the woman died at least six years ago. They're still trying to figure out what happened.

Update: More Questions Than Answers Surround Mummified Body Found

"Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard says police are still working to clarify the details surrounding a mummified body found parked in a car in the garage of a Pontiac home.

Bouchard says voter records show a woman with the name of the homeowner Pia Farrenkopf cast her ballot in 2010.

Bouchard believes that was a clerical error."

Moar @ Link: More Questions Than Answers
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Heard that story on Dave and Chuck this morning.

It baffles me how a smelly, decomposing body can go unnoticed in the back seat of a Jeep for 6 years... what was she doing in the back seat in the first place?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Local ABC affiliate story:

"When’s the last time anyone has seen her? About six years ago," said another neighbor, Caitlyn Talbot.

Caitlyn said everyone thought the owner moved.

But on Wednesday, neighbors found out the owner has been right there the whole time, inside the garage, dead in the backseat of her Jeep.

Deputies believe the woman was 49 years old.

View Quote

Woman's body found in garage of her foreclosed home in Pontiac years after her death

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It baffles me how a smelly, decomposing body can go unnoticed in the back seat of a Jeep for 6 years... what was she doing in the back seat in the first place?

View Quote

Well, apparently the vehicle was closed, inside the garage, which was also closed.

Will it stink? Yeah. Outside the house? Not so much.

As to what she was doing? Who knows. Maybe cleaning the car? Looking for something she dropped which rolled under the front seat?

Odds are her ticker gave out, and there she stayed.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe she choked on a cubano...
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The cause of her death is called..  No Friends
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

You, again?

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm kind of impressed that she had enough in her checking account to auto pay bills for 6 years.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#9]
WTF?

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You, again?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You, again?

Wanna hear a story?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
A rotting corpse would be business as usual in that city.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm kind of impressed that she had enough in her checking account to auto pay bills for 6 years.
View Quote

I am too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I am too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am too.

Maybe she had a Total Money Makeover...
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#14]
How can she have had no mail pile up and taxes paid every year?

Weird for sure. Anyone want a low mileage jeep for a good price
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Probably had direct deposit from various sources, including her regular savings, etc., and that kept things ticking along for enough years to pay off the car, and then other bills being paid eventually depleted her savings.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sucks to be her heirs, if any... serves them right for not checking on her for 6 years.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Is it wrong that I want to see pics?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

As long as they're not scratch-and-sniff.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#19]
How sad must your life be that you can be dead for 6 years and no one notices?  Did she not have any friends or family?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#20]
 RIP
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Something about this story doesn't make sense.  What about her employment?  Her other bills, such as utilities?  This story sounds suspiciously like someone knew she was dead, but didn't report it because keeping her alive, at least legally, was to their advantage.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I am too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am too.

Yeah no shit. Besides the the whole dying a lonely death thing, I am envious.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Who took care of the mail?
Sounds like she had a decent job. Nobody did a welfare check when she stopped showing up?

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mind your own business!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#25]
How the hell did no one notice 6 years of mail piling up in the mailbox.... something is wrong with this story...

eta... this one had to notice something was wrong:  "......One of them mowed her grass to keep things looking tidy......."

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Makes you wonder if six years ago there wasn't some internet forum asking "whatever happened to Ilovekitties43?

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, no kids, spouse or apparently friends to ask where she was.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sounds like she had a decent job. Nobody did a welfare check when she stopped showing up?

View Quote

probably a government employee
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

same
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Saw that on Drudge yesterday. Only thing that doesn't make it shocking is that it is Pontiac.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#31]
So they won't release her name because they need to notify the family. The family has not given a shit or noticed her missing thus far do you think they care now? There was guy here that died and no one noticed for two years. It wasn't until the cable guy went to disconnect the cable and found the guy dead sitting in his lazy boy watching TV. He died of natural causes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#32]
What happened to all her cats?  
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Hard to believe someone would come mow her yard for six years just to be neighborly.
I'm calling BS.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Having handled many "stinkers" over the years, I can tell you that inside a car, inside a garage, and cold weather (if applicable) would mask and/or cut down the odor dramatically.  

Still a sad story.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#35]
From what I heard she traveled a lot for her job and would be gone for extended periods of time, hence the neighbors taking care of the yard for her. That makes sense to me, but 6 years of mail piling up in her PO box?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

At the very end of the article it says LE did a welfare check in 2007.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would have been a year prior to her death, right?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Pics or GTFO
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Makes you wonder if six years ago there wasn't some internet forum asking "whatever happened to Ilovekitties43?

View Quote

Excellent point. If I ever stop posting on here, please have the MI HTF members start combing garages looking for me.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

or spoiled ass kids that hate your guts.

gd
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#42]
I know someone that this happened to.

A friend called my friend to check up on him, driveway had 12" snow on it while everyone else was clear.

When the police broke in for a welfare check, they found him laying in bed (aprox 2 weeks)

The PD removed enough firearms & ammo from the home to put some gun stores/distributors to shame!  He had multiples of everything.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are good at math yes

My assumption is that 6 years is just someones best guess, nobody knows when she really died.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Something about this story doesn't make sense.  What about her employment?  Her other bills, such as utilities?  This story sounds suspiciously like someone knew she was dead, but didn't report it because keeping her alive, at least legally, was to their advantage.
View Quote

Social Security + pension - auto pay of bills.  That can go for awhile without being noticed.  I've heard of it before, but most elderly people don't use autopay or it would probably happen more often.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Things dont add up.........and I am suprised a nosy neighbor didnt stop by to check on her

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

How the hell did no one notice 6 years of mail piling up in the mailbox.... something is wrong with this story...

eta... this one had to notice something was wrong:  "......One of them mowed her grass to keep things looking tidy......."

View Quote

I mowed the grass of an abandoned property for a summer.  If someone was dead inside I never would have known.  I just didn't want it overrun with weeds, or driving property values down.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Did she keep on voting?

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Things dont add up.........and I am suprised a nosy neighbor didnt stop by to check on her
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you get a refund, the IRS really doesn't care if you file.  At least not enough to send someone to check on you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Wonder what the situation was where she didn't have a job where no one looked for her, but still had enough money for 6 years of expenses.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Excellent point. If I ever stop posting on here, please have the MI HTF members start combing garages looking for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shawnofthedead comes to mind.................

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top