BCM
User Panel

Page / 280
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:12:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol.

What the fuck is a ruble anyways? Most of the world doesn't even know what they look like.

Hey Russia lovers, check this out:

I can go any country in the world and pull out a US $100 bill, and every swinging dick knows what it is, and wants it.
View Quote

Take it to Kiev so they can buy another army.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

What the fuck is a ruble anyways? Most of the world doesn't even know what they look like.

I can go any country in the world and pull out a US $100 bill, and every swinging dick knows what it is, and wants it.

Nah, it will increasingly be worth considerably more in mother Russia as Putin's Gambit continues to asphyxiate his struggling economy.  If elementary economics and history have taught us anything, wheelbarrow futures will likely skyrocket as the main vehicle for ruble exchange so you may want to look in on getting in on that market on the ground floor...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nah, it will increasingly be worth considerably more in mother Russia as Putin's Gambit continues to asphyxiate his struggling economy.  If elementary economics and history have taught us anything, wheelbarrow futures will likely skyrocket as the main vehicle for ruble exchange so you may want to look in on getting in on that market on the ground floor...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

What  you fail to consider is the state of the Russian economy doesn't matter. Russia has never been an economic power and never will be, its simply too large of a country. The empire will be held together by force, its has been that way since the time of the Tsars and is unlikely to change. Sanctions won't work but the morons in charge of our foreign policy are clueless when it comes to Russia.

I suppose its good for a laugh though
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What  you fail to consider is the state of the Russian economy doesn't matter. Russia has never been an economic power and never will be, its simply too large of a country. The empire will be held together by force, its has been that way since the time of the Tsars and is unlikely to change. Sanctions won't work but the morons in charge of our foreign policy are clueless when it comes to Russia.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

Force or no force, people have to eat.

Russia is a net food importer, is it not?

The last time the people of Russia started really feeling economic pain, they murdered the Tsar and his entire family.

Putin should be scared.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The last time the people of Russia started really feeling economic pain, they murdered the Tsar and his entire family.

Putin should be scared.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

Putin should be scared.

oil for food?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

Nothing will ever last if held together by force.  USSR is a prime example that you failed to consider.  The state of the economy actually had a massive impact on that breaking apart.  Russia is plenty big enough to do it again.

And I'm by no means arguing that sanctions are the best approach, or more accurately, the best approach to solely take.  But they will take a toll and make a difference... whether it is 100% the difference we want is up for debate.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nothing will ever last if held together by force.  USSR is a prime example that you failed to consider.  The state of the economy actually had a massive impact on that breaking apart.  Russia is plenty big enough to do it again.

And I'm by no means arguing that sanctions are the best approach, or more accurately, the best approach to solely take.  But they will take a toll and make a difference... whether it is 100% the difference we want is up for debate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

The USSR was a reverse empire, very different.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Poor,sad Russians...so abused by  Nazis
View All Quotes

Your country is definitely next on the hit list.  Might want to make that summer home in MA permanent home.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What  you fail to consider is the state of the Russian economy doesn't matter. Russia has never been an economic power and never will be, its simply too large of a country. The empire will be held together by force, its has been that way since the time of the Tsars and is unlikely to change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

What  you fail to consider is the state of the Russian economy doesn't matter. Russia has never been an economic power and never will be, its simply too large of a country. The empire will be held together by force, its has been that way since the time of the Tsars and is unlikely to change.

Tell that to the USSR.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Tell that to the USSR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

Tell that to the USSR.

Tell that to the confederate south.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tell that to the USSR.

Okay. "Hey confederate south!  Tell that to the USSR!"
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Tell that to the USSR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

Tell that to the USSR.

USSR is a poor comparison. See my previous post.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell that to the USSR.

Bueller?   Bueller?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell that to the USSR.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell that to the USSR.

Your previous, very silly post calling the USSR a "reverse empire," in no way proves my comparison to be poor.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bueller?   Bueller?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell that to the USSR.

Bueller?   Bueller?

HEY CCCP! NOW YOU ARE TOLDS!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Your previous, very silly post calling the USSR a "reverse empire," in no way proves my comparison to be poor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell that to the USSR.

Russia had to subsidize the rest of the SU, Wealth outflow= reverse

Shows how little  you know
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell that to the USSR.

Not sure why that is relevant.  Also, the three main "subsidizers" were the SSRs that initiated the breakup.

But, frankly, I'm really not sure what point either of you are making.  The USSR was held together by force, like any other.  When it lost the will to bust heads, it lost its empire.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Because it was a reverse empire, it didn't actually collapse, it imploded.

Go read a science book.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Because it was a reverse empire, it didn't actually collapse, it imploded.

Go read a science book.
View Quote

I know you're kidding, but it really didn't do either.  The leaders of the three principle SSRs pretty much agreed to not recognize the Soviet leadership, and the Soviet leadership had little political capital left.  If Yeltsin had perceived Ukraine and Belarus as part of a Russian Empire, it never would have happened.  He and the rest were too busy imagining themselves and their buddies as rich Capitalists with nobody to answer to to consider much else.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now we're going places!  

Of course I understand what you are talking about, but for our less educated members, would you mind detailing what you mean?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not sure why that is relevant.  Also, the three main "subsidizers" were the SSRs that initiated the breakup.

But, frankly, I'm really not sure what point either of you are making.  The USSR was held together by force, like any other.  When it lost the will to bust heads, it lost its empire.
View Quote

Force costs rubles.  No rubles = no force =no empire.

All the folks in this thread who insist that we have too much debt, and that we can't afford to get militarily involved....

...doesn't that apply to Russia, too?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

All the folks in this thread who insist that we have too much debt, and that we can't afford to get militarily involved....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russia, or the USSR?  Russia wanted out of the USSR.  It complicates things, almost like a two popes or two competing emperors dynamic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't think Putin's standard of living will suffer much, and whatever economic hit Russia takes he has sewn up total power there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Russia, or the USSR?  Russia wanted out of the USSR.  It complicates things, almost like a two popes or two competing emperors dynamic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russia can't afford this any more than we can.  When the people start to really feel the pinch, they will begin to get a bit more pissed about certain things.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russia is a stumbling drunk bully of a country, that can only write cheap ass checks. Going after Ukraine is a pussy ass move that will ruin them financially. Putin isn't any smarter than Jug ears, he is just more aggressive. They do agree on gun control for pretty much the same reasons.

Edit: apostrophe
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Russia can't afford this any more than we can.  When the people start to really feel the pinch, they will begin to get a bit more pissed about certain things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't put much stock in the Russian population.  Their dissidents are few and far between and increasingly silenced.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just saying it's difficulty to cite the dissolution of the USSR as any precedent or normal reaction - it was the action of elites seeking treasure, not "people feeling the pinch."
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wouldn't put much stock in the Russian population.  Their dissidents are few and far between and increasingly silenced.
View Quote

The Russian masses never make history, never have.  Even the Revolution was led by elites who wrapped up their rhetoric in a pretty bow of "proletariat" nonsense.  The nobility resented the rising power of the bourgeoisie, and Marxism provided a voice and "explanation."

There is good reason that Putin tries to keep any influential Russians either in prison or in line.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I see the putin cock suckers are still here.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, yes, because the "Proletariat" had all the power in the USSR.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nothing to do with the people, regarding outflow of wealth from RU to satellite states. mainly defense
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some did, others were willing to go all they way to preserve it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They couldn't stop Yeltsin, and Gorbachev was feeling pretty unloved by December 1991.  Brest was the final nail in the coffin for the USSR.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, their public debt is about 8% of GDP, whereas ours is about 108% of GDP.

Funny that Soviet public debt ratio of 20% was enough to be one of the triggers of their downfall, whereas if we hit 20%, the celebrations would never end.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm just saying it's difficulty to cite the dissolution of the USSR as any precedent or normal reaction - it was the action of elites seeking treasure, not "people feeling the pinch."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a bit to do with their economy, though.

It's to to cite the same woes that broke them up, as not being a hindrance to bringing them back together.  And let's remember that the economically viable East Ukraine no longer exists.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Funny that Soviet public debt ratio of 20% was enough to be one of the triggers of their downfall, whereas if we hit 20%, the celebrations would never end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No comparison.   Regardless, one needs capital to buy stuff and wage war.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:07:24 AM EDT
[#42]
An anonymous client is offering $30 million reward for information about who shot down MH17 through a German investigation company Wifka.
http://www.wifka.de/who-shot-down-mh17-30-million-dollars-reward-for-information.html

And Russia is pushing for an open international investigation into the crash
http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/749884
“We should not allow the inquiry in the details of the MH17 crash to be soft-pedalled as this had already happened to many other Ukrainian tragedies, including the sniper shooting of civilians in Kiev in February, massacres in Odessa (Ukrainian Black Sea port) and Mariupol (a city in the Donetsk region) in May and so on,” the foreign minister said. “We will insist with determination on bringing all who are responsible for these crimes to justice,” he added.
View Quote

and requested a security council meeting on Friday.
http://en.itar-tass.com/world/750051
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:29:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Oh ho!

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/france-withholds-delivery-of-amphib-aircraft-carriers-f-1630227613
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:51:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Oh ho!

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/france-withholds-delivery-of-amphib-aircraft-carriers-f-1630227613
View Quote

Isn't that old news?  I swear I heard that earlier.

ETA:  Article is from 9/03.  I knew I had heard about this from BBC or some such.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Poroshenko is speaking to a joint session or Congress on C-Span right now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Poroshenko is speaking to a joint session or Congress on C-Span right now.
View Quote

It was a beautiful speech IMHO.

BTW, this was posted today on the Tubes:

Get your Grad on

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#47]
First time I'd ever heard him speak English.  He did a remarkable job.  That's a tough sales pitch to deliver.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Poroshenko is just as corrupt as the rest of them.  He knows his audience, I'll give him that. He would fit in great with all of the other congressman
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#49]
BBC team attacked in southern Russia 'by at least three men'

18 September 2014 Last updated at 12:51 BST

The BBC has lodged a formal protest with the Russian authorities after a news team from the BBC's Moscow bureau was attacked in the south of the country.

The cameraman was beaten up and the camera smashed during the attack.

The team was investigating reports of Russian personnel being killed near the border with Ukraine.

Russian servicemen, according to the official line, are not involved in Ukraine, unless they go on holiday or in their spare time.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29249996
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Poroshenko is just as corrupt as the rest of them.  He knows his audience, I'll give him that. He would fit in great with all of the other congressman
View Quote

Yes, it's true that Russian propaganda would say something like that.
Page / 280
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top