Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 280
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Another video from the Russian side of the border, but it doesn't say where along the border

http://youtu.be/WyYP7J0lHe4
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As of the late 1980s, a Soviet motorized rifle regiment (those that operated BTRs that is) contained about 156 BTRs. I have no idea if their forces are still organized along the same lines, but based on previous data and what I've seen in the video, I don't see anything to indicate the force in question is larger than one regiment max. When the mind sees a convoy of military vehicles on the move, it tends to make it seem larger than it really is. So imagine just how big a convoy of 156 BTRs would look, especially when intermixed with cargo trucks and other support vehicles. A regiment doesn't sound like much when you look at it on paper. But when you see one on the move, it becomes apparent just how big an organization it really is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Large group of Russian forces approaching Ukrainian border near Rostov-on-Don

http://youtu.be/o8_Rl0pbkUk

How many motor rifle regiments was that?

Shit load of BTRs.

As of the late 1980s, a Soviet motorized rifle regiment (those that operated BTRs that is) contained about 156 BTRs. I have no idea if their forces are still organized along the same lines, but based on previous data and what I've seen in the video, I don't see anything to indicate the force in question is larger than one regiment max. When the mind sees a convoy of military vehicles on the move, it tends to make it seem larger than it really is. So imagine just how big a convoy of 156 BTRs would look, especially when intermixed with cargo trucks and other support vehicles. A regiment doesn't sound like much when you look at it on paper. But when you see one on the move, it becomes apparent just how big an organization it really is.

That's all changed.  They are deployed as Battalion Tactical Groups (BTG).  700-800 men, and task organized with a a combination of tanks, motorized infantry, mortars, sigint, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit load of BTRs.

Part way through that cilp the camera pans to the right and the column goes off screen, full of BTRs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's all changed.  They are deployed as Battalion Tactical Groups (BTG).  700-800 men, and task organized with a a combination of tanks, motorized infantry, mortars, sigint, etc, etc.
View Quote

I thought it was more brigade focused now. At least that's what I've found in the last half hour
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought it was more brigade focused now. At least that's what I've found in the last half hour
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Battalion Tactical Group (BTG)

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.facenews.ua/images/doc/b/1/b1e420b-wljsujed0ws.jpg

"Ukraine, wait, we are brothers. BROTHERS, I say".
View Quote

It appears the internet is leaking again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Another video from the Russian side of the border, but it doesn't say where along the border

http://youtu.be/WyYP7J0lHe4
View Quote
Sign on a side of the road said Sambek (121km to Mariupol/150km to Donetsk)
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

That dude's got eyebrows!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mother of God. Their organization was a fucking mess during the Cold War.

Thanks for the read.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks for the read.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the read.
That's because they operated under the "throw enough shit at the enemy until we win" doctrine.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit load of BTRs.

Mixed in there you had a battery of 2S23 SP mortars and a battery of 2A65 152MM towed artillery. Early in the video it flashes off to the field on the right and there is a large column of BTRs waiting to get on the road. There were 61 BTRs, including 2 radio/command,on the road and probably that many again waiting to get on the road. A full strength motor rifle brigade from an MRD should have in the neighborhood of 153 including 12 radio/command. Then again, some stuff from last year says they are doing away with the division structure and moving towards brigades so who knows.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...Unless, the Poles are hoping for Russian/Belorussian retaliation on the Polish homeland which would provoke an Article V defense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...Unless, the Poles are hoping for Russian/Belorussian retaliation on the Polish homeland which would provoke an Article V defense.

If they went to play in Ukraine and earned a few Iskanders in Gdansk or something like that in response, I doubt they could pull off Article V. Not that I think Poland is gonna actually do anything.

And now tovarishchi, truly glorious people's news!

Moldovans Name Putin World’s Most Popular Politician

CHISINAU, Moldova, April 24 (RIA Novosti) – Russian President Vladimir Putin has topped a ranking of world politicians among Moldovans, according to polling data released Thursday.

According to the survey conducted by the Public Opinion Barometer (BOP), some 62 percent of Moldovans consider Putin the most popular politician globally.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel placed second with 44 percent, while US President Barack Obama shared the third position with Romanian leader Traian Basescu, both taking 35 percent. Half of the recipients named Moldova’s Prime Minister Yuri Lyanke the most popular local politician...

Cool random pic from the Reuters Crisis In Ukraine photo gallery. PPS AND a track suit. Warms the cockles of the heart...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If they went to play in Ukraine and earned a few Iskanders in Gdansk or something like that in response, I doubt they could pull off Article V. Not that I think Poland is gonna actually do anything.

Cool random pic from the Reuters Crisis In Ukraine photo gallery. PPS AND a track suit. Warms the cockles of the heart...
http://i59.tinypic.com/2f0gkso.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CHISINAU, Moldova, April 24 (RIA Novosti) – Russian President Vladimir Putin has topped a ranking of world politicians among Moldovans, according to polling data released Thursday.

According to the survey conducted by the Public Opinion Barometer (BOP), some 62 percent of Moldovans consider Putin the most popular politician globally.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel placed second with 44 percent, while US President Barack Obama shared the third position with Romanian leader Traian Basescu, both taking 35 percent. Half of the recipients named Moldova’s Prime Minister Yuri Lyanke the most popular local politician...

That guy is like kryptonite to big O.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Still think that Putin will wait until next winter?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if he has matching balaclava. Very slavic bro
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt he will wait 'til next week.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Putin sent battalions of GRU and SPETsNAZ into the United States, where they began sabotage and subversion, and working with traitors to overthrow local governments, killing and torturing those who resist...

...would we consider ourselves "invaded" and at war?

I think so.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If Putin sent battalions of GRU and SPETsNAZ into the United States, where they began sabotage and subversion, and working with traitors to overthrow local governments, killing and torturing those who resist...

I think so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think so.

It's just militia!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do. Ded Moroz is a powerful force multiplier to the natural gas weapon.

A 'federalized', as the euphemism goes, Ukraine is better for Russia than the eastern provinces full-on leaving Ukraine entirely. Then what is left has virtually no Russian presence, with corresponding less influence from Moscow.

A few BTRs rumbling around is good for video clips, but show me battalion after battalion of tracks off their carriers. THEN I'll accept that maybe an early summer show is in the works. But with what we are seeing now, it wouldn't make sense to move before the elections at least. Though I still think its more likely Grandfather Frost is going to be enlisted to help keep Europe placid.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think so.

Most of the Americans would.  And we would show them what Yamamoto meant by a rifle behind each blade of grass.

However, I would still keep an eye on my six for drones sent by the White House that might "miss the targets" if the POS was still in power.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's just militia!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think so.

It's just militia!

Peak track suits!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A 'federalized', as the euphemism goes, Ukraine is better for Russia than the eastern provinces full-on leaving Ukraine entirely. Then what is left has virtually no Russian presence, with corresponding less influence from Moscow.

A few BTRs rumbling around is good for video clips, but show me battalion after battalion of tracks off their carriers. THEN I'll accept that maybe an early summer show is in the works. But with what we are seeing now, it wouldn't make sense to move before the elections at least. Though I still think its more likely Grandfather Frost is going to be enlisted to help keep Europe placid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's probably also related to the timing to when as many "self-appointed mayors will ask Putin for help" as possible to tip the scale.

If he can get many of those folks making a lot of noise it will help him justifying his "crusade" to save the ethnic Russians.

That info about him cancelling the Russian police's vacations and apparently getting them ready to go to Crimea is intriguing.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bet you $20 that you're wrong.   I bet there will be Russian armor in Eastern Ukraine before the election.

The entire point of the subversion and sabotage phase is to allow an easier entry.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's probably also related to the timing to when as many "self-appointed mayors will ask Putin for help" as possible to tip the scale.

If he can get many of those folks making a lot of noise it will help him justifying his "crusade" to save the ethnic Russians.

That info about him cancelling the Russian police's vacations and apparently getting them ready to go to Crimea is intriguing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those "mayors" are already asking for Russian "peacekeepers."
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bet you $20 that you're wrong.   I bet there will be Russian armor in Eastern Ukraine before the election.

The entire point of the subversion and sabotage phase is to allow an easier entry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take that bet.

We define it as a verified Russian armored (to include those rascally BTRs) presence in Ukraine prior to 25 May 2014?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  But how many?  How many more does he need to make his "assistance" more justified?    He probably needs a few more.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Right now the Russians should just reinforce the breakaways and wait for the bills to hit Kiev.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#29]
They aren't waiting until winter to launch their operation. If that were the case, they would wait until later in the year to start mobilizing. They aren't going to keep that many men and that much equipment just sitting there on the border all spring, summer and fall. A large scale operation is imminent. I suspect it will happen within a week, and probably much sooner.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They aren't waiting until winter to launch their operation. If that were the case, they would wait until later in the year to start mobilizing. They aren't going to keep that many men and that much equipment just sitting there on the border all spring, summer and fall. A large scale operation is imminent. I suspect it will happen within a week, and probably much sooner.
View Quote

I think the premise that they 'mobilized' however many troops is false. Russia does not have 150,000, or even 40,000, troops outside of garrison, in forward deployed positions, ready to go. Russia DOES have a lot of troops close to Ukraine, but that is a function of the fact that much of the population of Russia isn't too far from Ukraine, either. Only 500 miles from Moscow to Kiev, and it stands to reason that Russia is going to have units in that space, no?

It's a different concept than we are generally used to, since our bases are all over here, and when America fights, its over there. But Russia can just drive from garrison to war, and it wouldn't be a very long drive at that.

Joyriding a battalion of BTRs is a far cry from the sort of preparation that would have to take place if Russia was getting ready to flip the table, IMO. Especially now with so much attention on the region.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:30:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Is the second pic the handiwork of Ukrainian troops?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:58:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is the second pic the handiwork of Ukrainian troops?
View All Quotes

It's after they put the tires out after the troops took the checkpoint:

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:59:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:03:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Russia holds military exercises within a kilometer of the Ukraine border

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd argue its the main effort. Uniformed troops are just there to consolidate.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'll take that bet.

We define it as a verified Russian armored (to include those rascally BTRs) presence in Ukraine prior to 25 May 2014?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take that bet.

Multiple Battalion Tactical Groups on the ground before the 25th.  Yes, it's a bet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the primary effort of SOF though. The mission is the same but these smaller forces are preparing the objective for the occupying force. Same as our SOF efforts in Iraq in 2003. We may not of subverted Iraqi authority to the degree these guys are but SF teams were operating in an effort to establish the path and ease in the occupation force once major hostilities have subsided.

We know Russia likes piecemeal efforts. The template is in Chechnya, South Ossetia, and the slow roll they've given former USSR republics since 2000. Belarus is oy a country in name only and there are already talks of Moldova being next.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Multiple Battalion Tactical Groups on the ground before the 25th.  Yes, it's a bet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll take that bet.

Deal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll take that bet.

Deal.

Nice! Brassy! I think it's too close to call either way.

What's the bet? Roubles or hryvnia?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Russian "militants" claim responsibility for downing an Mi-8 of the Ukrainian Army

link
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Russian "militants" claim responsibility for downing an Mi-8 of the Ukrainian Army

link
View Quote

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7fd_1398420166
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#45]
From the other day when RAF fighters intercepted Tu-95 Bears near the UK on their roundabout northern Europe tour

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Good write up on the legitimacy and internal political issues facing Ukraine's government Economist

Also a bit of information warfare IPB: Eastern Ukraine listens to Russian media who's pumping the Kiev government = nazi line really hard.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's the primary effort of SOF though. The mission is the same but these smaller forces are preparing the objective for the occupying force. Same as our SOF efforts in Iraq in 2003. We may not of subverted Iraqi authority to the degree these guys are but SF teams were operating in an effort to establish the path and ease in the occupation force once major hostilities have subsided.

We know Russia likes piecemeal efforts. The template is in Chechnya, South Ossetia, and the slow roll they've given former USSR republics since 2000. Belarus is oy a country in name only and there are already talks of Moldova being next.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes it easier when you already have a couple thousand troops there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Beautiful images and video to savor my whiskey to this fine morning. Needs a fuck load more dead Spetznatz.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Mine hunters from NATO nations head to Baltic Sea

Posted in the Army to Poland thread are photos from Latvia. So the 173rd now has a presence in Poland and Latvia.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#50]
USAEUR will be busy it seems:

• Exercise Rochambeau, scheduled to take place in France in May
• Exercise Combined Resolve II, scheduled to take place in Germany in May
• Exercise Saber Strike, scheduled to take place in Lithuania and Latvia in June
• Exercise Immediate Response, scheduled to take place in Slovenia in August
• Exercise Saber Junction 14, scheduled to take place in Germany in August
• Exercise Cooperative Resolve, scheduled to take place in Turkey in September

Page / 280
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top