BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

maybe not, but neither do you announce to the world that you plan to dismantle any real response from the US Military THE DAY AFTER there was a "negotiated" agreement in the Ukraine. This administration is being run by pre-schoolers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting times we live in.  

The message 0bama is sending with the coming military budget is being heard loud and clear.    

-K

Seriously are you ready to go to war against Russia?  I wish the Ukraine's the best but they should realize we ain't  coming to
pull their chestnuts out of the fire.

maybe not, but neither do you announce to the world that you plan to dismantle any real response from the US Military THE DAY AFTER there was a "negotiated" agreement in the Ukraine. This administration is being run by pre-schoolers.

I highly doubt that putin and the Ukrainians giv a rats ass about the US and what we do.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I sympathize, but it's not our problem. They want to be in the EU? Let the Europeans fight for them.
View Quote

Peace in our time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I highly doubt that putin and the Ukrainians giv a rats ass about the US and what we do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The message 0bama is sending with the coming military budget is being heard loud and clear.    

-K

Seriously are you ready to go to war against Russia?  I wish the Ukraine's the best but they should realize we ain't  coming to

And I get told I need to get out more.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The conflict in Ukraine is bitter, violent, and complicated.  U.S. meddling would likely make them much more likely to sympathize with Russia- as many in their nation already do given the vicious nature of the protestors.

Ukraine isn't a prize to win- it's an economic basket case on the verge of collapse.

Spare us your amateur musings on what the U.S. should be doing to win this deep crisis on the other side of the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How exactly is the Ukraine in our interest? Granted on a personal level I'd love see Russia get fucked royally. However, I fail to see how this is in the United States interest to interfere.; that's a European issue.

The conflict in Ukraine is bitter, violent, and complicated.  U.S. meddling would likely make them much more likely to sympathize with Russia- as many in their nation already do given the vicious nature of the protestors.

Ukraine isn't a prize to win- it's an economic basket case on the verge of collapse.

Spare us your amateur musings on what the U.S. should be doing to win this deep crisis on the other side of the world.

You must have quoted the wrong person because he's actually arguing for no intervention by the U.S.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Funny how Georgians and Ukrainians fought and died for American interests in Iraq and Afghanistan... Sorry guyz,LOL #YOLO is now American realpolitik.

Is it any wonder that nobody takes the US seriously anymore?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-K

Oh, I think the Ukrainians realize it very well. Take Georgia for example. One day, they're fighting an American war for Americans, then the next day, they're on a plane back to defend their country against a Russian invasion, and the US Is all like, "So long, thanks for the help, now go die."

Not saying the US should have come to Georgia's aid, but it was a weird situation to say the least. And the world observed.

Funny how Georgians and Ukrainians fought and died for American interests in Iraq and Afghanistan... Sorry guyz,LOL #YOLO is now American realpolitik.

Is it any wonder that nobody takes the US seriously anymore?

I've heard this complaint time and again from many foreigners, even supposed U.S. allies.  The perception that the U.S. can't be relied upon to "return the favor" is certainly out there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The best the Ukraine could do is create trade agreements with both Russia and the EU
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've heard this complaint time and again from many foreigners, even supposed U.S. allies.  The perception that the U.S. can't be relied upon to "return the favor" is certainly out there.
View Quote

We've got a pretty bad reputation for that.  It's a wonder why anyone has allied with us at all in Iraq/Afghanistan except to gain some warfighting experience.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I understand and support why countries pitched in for Iraq and Afghanistan. It was to prove themselves as willing and able allies and because 9/11 was horrendous.I think Iraq was a bill of goods but that is another matter.

However,seeing 2 wars come to inconclusive withdrawals leads many to question the value of the efforts and the leadership ability of the US government and military. Furthermore,there is the question of just how reliable the US is as all it seems to have done is bend to Putin in Georgia,over Iranian nukes,Syria and Ukraine. That idiotic overcharge button and telling Putin he could be more flexible;I don't know if it's malice or ignorance but you don't outright tell a competitor that you're going to roll over.

When an ambassador says "Fuck the EU" and the EU is effectively NATO just what message does that send? I know that the current US government is like Wednesday night open mic night at a bar. It's amateur hour and you can't expect too much but it's almost painful in being so terrible.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How exactly is the Ukraine in our interest? Granted on a personal level I'd love see Russia get fucked royally. However, I fail to see how this is in the United States interest to interfere.; that's a European issue.
View Quote

yeah, we have no dog in this fight.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wut?
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The best the Ukraine could do is create trade agreements with both Russia and the EU
View Quote

Ukraine could be the middleman between EU and Russia's Eurasian trading bloc, trade with both sides and everyone wins.  That would be a smart move for Ukraine, which means it won't happen.

Ukraine isn't getting into EU.  If they were a stable country with a sound economy it would take 10 years or more to get in EU, assuming it doesn't collapse by then.    Turkey won't even get in and they have a stronger economy.  Belarus is a backwards command economy and their GDP per capita is 4x Ukraine.  

They aren't getting into NATO either.  Russia has a lease on Sevastopol until 2042.  Ukraine can void agreement, make threats, do whatever they want.  Russia doesn't care about their opinion or world opinion, they are not giving up that naval base.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't the Russians have troops in Transdnester?

Partition the country in two now, not after 10 years of war like Yugoslavia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what will happen: Ukraine is BROKE, Russia is the only country offering to lend them billions, Russia will be in control again very soon.

If the Ukranian nationalists are smart they'd transfer Crimea back to Russia in exchange for the Russians assuming Ukranian sovereign debt.

Presto, no more pesky ethnic Russians.

I've been saying the former for some time, heck I've been sating they should offer with no strings.

But, the latter would not be true, there would still be shitloads - and overwhelming majorities in Odessa and in the East.

Don't the Russians have troops in Transdnester?

Partition the country in two now, not after 10 years of war like Yugoslavia.

I believe they do still have troops occupying that region in Moldova.  When there had been talk about the possibility of a future reunion of Moldova with Romania I had wondered what the reaction would be by NATO to Russian troops on the soil of a NATO member if they refused to leave.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://observationalism.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ukraine_historical_vs_electoral_2010.png

There is a very sharp divide east vs west.  A divided Ukraine would make sense.  But politics never  make sense.  
View Quote

The western part of Ukraine is certainly different from the east, although eventually (before the USSR conquered the newly-independent Ukraine) the east also developed nationalistic tendencies favouring separation from Russia.  The western part of Ukraine has looked Westward for a long time and rather than being under Russian rule, had been for centuries under the rule of the Austrians or the Poles and one could find many non-Ukrainians, even in Kiev (where one can even find Baroque architecture, in contrast with eastern Europe); I've also heard it described that Ukrainians have a different character than the Russians.  It was the east which was kept under Imperial Russian rule for a long time, but as I said even the east had a majority favouring separation by the time Ukraine became independent (Ukrainian nationalism first having arisen in the 19th century).  The Soviet response, after incorporating a conquered Ukraine, was one they also used elsewhere, which was to bring in more "Great Russians" into Ukraine and at the same time ethnically cleanse Ukrainians from those regions where Russians were brought in, which is a significant part of why the eastern half of the country is more favourably disposed towards Russia.  

Interestingly, I have heard that Ukrainians maintained armed resistance for a long time after WWII and that even in the mid-1960s there were pitched battles being waged between Ukrainian resistance forces and the Red Army in central Ukraine.  The spirit of resistance of a part of the Ukrainians towards the Russians would seem to go back a long time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-K

The point of a skillful foreign policy strategy is realizing your interests without having to choose war.
In this Obama has failed.

A free Ukraine, oriented toward Europe, is very much in the interest of the US.  If our friends in Latvia, Estonia, Georgia, Poland etc see us cave  now, it will have a domino effect of negative reactions against US interests.

If you can't see this, I'm not sure it's wise to be arguing foreign policy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It'll be interesting to watch. But not any of our concern.
View Quote

My God, what utter stupidity.  Lord help us, the USA, recover from this deficit of knowledge and understanding of what is important.  Help us please, for the sake of our children, who must live in the world left by idiots who insist on playing checkers while their opponents play chess.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Should never be divided, that is how Russians operate, colonize an area and boom, its Russian now.

Look at Kaliningrad...that was german for centuries...

not anymore.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#18]
The point of foreign policy strategy is to achieve a favorable result without having to resort to mil threats or action.

The fact that US military response is not on the table does not mean we never had options, or that nothing better could have happened.

If five years from now we are asking these same questions about Poland, then maybe some folks will remember they said Ukraine didn't matter.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I think it's obvious that most of us are rooting for the Ukrainians, but we're in an increasingly poor position to really do anything about it.    Our leadership's incompetence isn't limited to foreign policy.

Nobody honestly expects us to do anything but bumble around anyways.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:42:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What if Russia started telling the US what to do about Mexico
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Also, it will be sad to see how Obama lets them get away with it.

What if Russia started telling the US what to do about Mexico

They have for nearly three generations....just ask your local community college ENG 105 instructor what they think about American borders, language, and culture
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Should never be divided, that is how Russians operate, colonize an area and boom, its Russian now.

Look at Kaliningrad...that was german for centuries...

not anymore.

View Quote

Losing sucks. Don't lose.

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:04:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I guess it was all just a dream.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meanwhile we are sending weapons and aid to Iran, yes Iran, who then funnels them into Syria.

You know how we like to ask the rhetorical question "how much tax is enough tax" to liberals, knowing they can't answer honestly without saying 100%?

Well, how much foreign intervention is enough foreign intervention?

Also, I keep seeing this force reduction come up and it's a little baffling.

Should we keep enough troops and gear at the ready to fight two official "hot" wars and numerous other "police actions" at all times?

Being balls deep in the entire worlds affairs seems to be a little counter intuitive to the stated conservative ideology.

If we only had special Army teams who were well versed in UW and FID, among many other skills, and could disappear in the noise...

If only they actually recruited, selected, and trained for such possibilities anymore.

I guess it was all just a dream.

Are you suggesting we maintain any such capability on par to what 10th group had in the '60s?
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:10:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It not any of Obama's business, Ukraine can take care of itself. All the Ukrainians have to do is make a lease deal with Outin and its done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on what everyone thinks will happen.  I've not seen any stories posted yet, but the Russians are not going to let a port slip away.  Also, it will be sad to see how Obama lets them get away with it.

It not any of Obama's business, Ukraine can take care of itself. All the Ukrainians have to do is make a lease deal with Outin and its done.

How the hell do you think Yanukovych paid for his faux Greek ruins and pet ostriches?

Against public sentiment,he extended the lease from. 2017 to the 2040s. Why? I think it's pretty clear,so he could have faux Greek ruins and let ostriches.

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:14:29 AM EDT
[#24]
It will take longer than many think; a year or two I bet, but the end result will be eastern Ukraine and Crimea to Russia as newly formed states.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:16:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Fuck Obama.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It will take longer than many think; a year or two I bet, but the end result will be eastern Ukraine and Crimea to Russia as newly formed states.
View Quote

That's not in Russia's interests.  Their interests lie in perpetuating perpetual non-resolution.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:22:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's not in Russia's interests.  Their interests lie in perpetuating perpetual non-resolution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they'll have a special interest in Crimea, due to Sebastapol, until their other port is ready, but good point. A fractious Ukraine fulfills Russian needs as well, if not better, and at a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:30:37 AM EDT
[#28]
When you taunt the bear you better have the means to keep the bear out of your house. Hell Ukraine sold us all their Mosins.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

A - it would be embarrassing to hold a vote and lose. The 2010 voting map showing solid support for the Party of Regions does not accurately show who would want to become Russian.

B- it's cheaper to leave 10 million Russians as the Ukraine's problem. An analogy might be trying to give Detroit to Canada. Russia doesn't need or want Ukraine's rust belt and be on the hook for bringing a region of vast poverty 40 years up to date.

Furthermore,they're a more effective political tool and removing the pretext and threat of "protecting Russians" isn't something Moscow wants off the table,even if it's not taken exceptionally seriously.

Again,I'll use the comparison to poor blacks in the US. Does the Democratic Party actually want them to fully integrate and be upwardly mobile socially and economically where they may begin to make other political choices or is it better to have a sure thing because they are dependent?  That is the actual way Moscow sees Russians who had been moved into other Soviet Republics. The plan was for those regions to become Russified rather than assimilate and lots of those older folks have no desire to go back to Russia and no desire to fully integrate. What worries Moscow though is that younger people ARE learning a language other than Russian and are not hoping for a return of the USSR. If they wait too long, the old real Communists will die off and the younger generations who just want to live the American-Western European dream will be in the majority.

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.?????
Doz I be reading wrong??
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

-K
View Quote

Any different than when Clinton was in. We need cuts across the board and yes the FSA should be first but that is just not reality given the corruption.
McStain was spewing that if the cuts are just spent on domestic we will be in a real pickle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Russia puts troops on alert, while Obama talks about having the smallest military since WWII.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:37:36 AM EDT
[#34]
If we only had special Army teams who were well versed in UW and FID, among many other skills, and could disappear in the noise...

Perhaps a small band of men that spoke the local language and could operate independently.

unfortunately we have no such force, we can however do DA in English if we have CAS.

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:43:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Interfax reports that Putin ordered a readiness exercise of Russian airborne units, transports, and strategic aviation.

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A few thousand protesters do not speak for a country of millions.  Soros, the same guy that brought us Obama, is causing this shit.  The main forces of the 'protest' are wanting EU inclusion, not autonomy.
View Quote

Good to see you again, Primorsky!
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If only they actually recruited, selected, and trained for such possibilities anymore.
View Quote

Busy killing terrorists, yo!

If only we had a foreign policy muscular enough to use SF to execute it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A few thousand protesters do not speak for a country of millions.  Soros, the same guy that brought us Obama, is causing this shit.  The main forces of the 'protest' are wanting EU inclusion, not autonomy.

I get the same shit at work... someone told Alex Jones. Alex Jones tells them. Anyone ever seen Alex Jones and George Soros together at the same time?
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And I get told I need to get out more.
View Quote

If they mean "out of GD" I think that is good advice for us all
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:48:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

No one like muscular aggressive US foreign policy, until its gone. What was Obama's overseas approval rating?

Even our allies (outside of the Anglosphere) have wanted a multipolar world for decades. They are getting it. Now, let's see them enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:54:06 AM EDT
[#41]
(Russian Accent) "In Soviet Russia, Cold War chemical & biological agents kill you....."   But then the U.S.strikes back with nukes.......

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:56:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Old enough to know that was almost the exact phrasing used before WWII by LOTS of people.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Cold hard truth is we can't afford to do much about it anyways with or without military budget cuts. Our deficit's in astronomical figures, we have more to worry about in our own house .
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 5:02:58 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm sick of U.S. soldiers getting shot/blown up in fuckstain provinces over political bullshit that adds no value to american life. We need to pick our fights better, what is our goal in Ukraine, political, financial, ego?
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 5:06:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Putin has ordered very serious troop movements, in the guise of "exercises," in two phases between now and March 3. I'll bet he moves to occupy eastern Ukraine (including the Crimea) and there's not a thing anybody can do about it. That was the point of all the recent developments that have taken place until now -- reclaiming Russia's historical expansion towards the Black Sea. Putin seems to be an excellent chess player, unlike the feckless leaders of the West.

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm sick of U.S. soldiers getting shot/blown up in fuckstain provinces over political bullshit that adds no value to american life. We need to pick our fights better, what is our goal in Ukraine, political, financial, ego?
View Quote

And where are you seeing anyone suggesting military intervention in the Ukraine at this point?
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 5:18:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And where are you seeing anyone suggesting military intervention in the Ukraine at this point?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isolationist GD, where all foreign policy is a binary choice between Fortress America and Normandy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://observationalism.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ukraine_historical_vs_electoral_2010.png

There is a very sharp divide east vs west.  A divided Ukraine would make sense.  But politics never  make sense.  
View Quote

They're just like the Russkies in a lot of ways.  The eternal slavophile vs western oriented debate continues.  Splitting the country might make sense if that map is accurate.  Looks almost like an ethnic boundry.  There's not a lot of overlap.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Isolationist GD, where all foreign policy is a binary choice between Fortress America and Normandy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

took the words out of my mouth (fingers?)

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 5:30:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Russia puts troops on alert, while Obama talks about having the smallest military since WWII.
View Quote

Why do we care about what they do in Ukraine?  What is our compelling national interest that's at risk there?  

Why should American lives be sacrificed to protect what Ukrainians should be protecting?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top