Site Notices
10/1/2014 2:19:24 PM
10/1/2014 10:30:17 AM
Author
Missile Tow
Posted: 2/24/2014 2:28:08 PM
I was watching the Harold Ramis' movie Stripes last night. There is the famous scene when Sgt. Hulka is challenged to climb the rope and tells everyone to step aside as he proceeds to climb hand over hand all the way up to the top.

That had to have been at least 30 feet high, or more. Would you be able climb a rope like that?

1 MOA All Day Long
Never make the mistake of thinking you know everything about anything -- Chinese Fortune Cookie
devilskwerl
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 2:29:30 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By VBC:
I was watching the Harold Ramis' movie Stripes last night. There is the famous scene when Sgt. Hulka is challenged to climb the rope and tells everyone to step aside as he proceeds to climb hand over hand all the way up to the top.

That had to have been at least 30 feet high, or more. Would you be able climb a rope like that?

Only if there was some pussy up there. Or God miracled my ass up there.

Subnet
Round on the ends and high in the middle.
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 2:30:00 PM
There's a trick to it (you primarily use your legs).

Note also: I totally suck at it.
Originally Posted By FLAL1A:
Whoever pissed in your Cheerios swiped your manners, while you were savoring the taste.
NUCdt04
Not NUcadet07.....
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 2:32:17 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Subnet:

yes

yes (USMC)

and meh - it's not so bad
Ryan Miller LCPL USMC - Sept 14, 2006. Barwanah, Iraq
Adam P. Kennedy, Sgt USA - April 8, 2007. Diwaniyah, Iraq
Mark R. Cannon, HM3 USN - October 2, 2007. Kunar, Afghanistan

THeGiant573
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 2:53:52 PM
You can pass basic without making the climb in fact we had more that could not climb than could.

Never could figure out that trick and no way I was going to arm my fat ass all the way up.
robplumm
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 2:57:21 PM
A 15ft rope doesn't seem very far until you get on that fucker....

And yeah...key's in the legs. We had a guy go up Donkey Kong style at Bragg...one rope in each arm.

I was 227lbs out of OSUT...I had to use my legs a lot.
cubezombie
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 2:59:09 PM
had to do it when I was in basic (95)...I'd been climbing trees and ropes growing up so it wasn't that big of a deal for me...we did have a few who had issues..
thelaw09
Noli Me Tangere
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:00:32 PM
I don't remember going up any ropes in basic.

At OCS we climbed all the time. It's all technique. Rope under one foot, over the other to pinch it in place. Arms only get used as helpers.
Follow Me
renraf
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:01:00 PM
[Last Edit: 2/24/2014 3:01:53 PM by renraf]
I was always a master of climbing the rope with my legs, so much so that I always looked forward to it at the end of the O-course. Mainly, because I was always such a fatass that it made be feel better about my self at the end after slugging through the rest of it.
renraf
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:01:26 PM
[Last Edit: 2/24/2014 3:02:22 PM by renraf]
....double tap...
wildearp
K.C.C.O.
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:02:22 PM
Some girls can do it.
Simple Solutions to Complex problems.
SEMPER FI, DO OR DIE!
Covert8645
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:02:48 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By NUCdt04:
Originally Posted By Subnet:

yes

yes (USMC)

and meh - it's not so bad

It sucks a LOT harder with full gear after running the O-course.
23pistol23
.jpeg butchering Soda Mujihadi
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:02:56 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By VBC:
hand over hand all the way up to the top.

I can and have climbed a rope like that and won a bet against VTHOKIESHOOTER.

If you can do about 10 pullups in a row you should be able to do it.

Using legs is way easy.
Hi, I'm Pistol.

Magpul could sue Pistol I guess, or they could man up and sponsor. -RustedAce

Looks like a party at the Senior Citizen's Center compared to Cola Warrior, lol. -Covert8645
Subnet
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:04:44 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By 23pistol23:
Originally Posted By VBC:

Using legs is way easy.
I watched it.

You and Sylvan did your best to teach me how to do it properly, but my VERY drunk uncoordinated ass wasn't having it.
Whoever pissed in your Cheerios swiped your manners, while you were savoring the taste.
Masterbagger
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:05:19 PM
You climb rope with your legs. Dragging yourself up with your arms is hard mode.
BURN
Taco Hack with Leporiphobia
InstructorMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:05:46 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By devilskwerl:

Only if there was some pussy up there. Or God miracled my ass up there.

I see it

1Andy2: it's just a question of if we decide to stop throwing coal in the furnace and lean on the brakes or if we're going to blow the boiler up getting to Full Retard'sville.
Naffenea
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:06:39 PM
I needed help with the rope but once I got the trick of using the legs, it was a lot easier. It also helped to have a DS screaming in my ear that I would get sent to the fatbody platoon for remedial training unless I got my ass up that rope.
bteamleader
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:06:50 PM
Yes. Rope climbing is crazy easy with the right technique. Climbing rope without legs is pretty challenging. I used to show off by grabbing a rope in each hand and using just my upper body to pull myself to the top without using any legs. Always blew everyone away. In reality, that technique was easier, in my opinion, than climbing one rope without legs.
rainman
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:07:42 PM
We had to do that in high school PE class. In fact, the last two years of HS 67' and 68'
Three days out of five all we did exercise the entire class.
I think they were getting us ready for basic training.
theres no inbetween anymore
Assaulter
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:08:28 PM
I never had to climb a rope in basic. But this thread makes me want to find a rope just to show I can do it.
FreeBear
No one here gets out alive.
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:08:39 PM

Rope climbing and pull-ups always kicked my ass when I was in the Infantry. Hated them both.

Can't say I had much love for the 'overhead ladder', either.
Is it that we have so often been told that violence is not the answer to everything that we fail to realize it IS the answer to some things?

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset.

Don't Californicate Arizona.
23pistol23
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:12:53 PM
Originally Posted By 23pistol23:

Using legs is way easy.
I watched it.

You and Sylvan did your best to teach me how to do it properly, but my VERY drunk uncoordinated ass wasn't having it.

I have a harder time climbing using the actual technique. Feels like I'm wasting precious time trying to get my feet to work right.

I just clench that shit with my knees and thighs, lean back, and grab another arms length full. Pull self up and repeat.
Hi, I'm Pistol.

Looks like a party at the Senior Citizen's Center compared to Cola Warrior, lol. -Covert8645
338winmag
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:13:35 PM
I used to have a rope up in a tree back by my shooting range. I climbed it a lot and got pretty good at it. It was still up during a shoot. I think I got asked about 50 times what the rope was for. I always answered it was for climbing. As the day wore on, no one took up challenge of climbing it. Someone finally said, let's see you climb it. I was the only one. I was like 51 or 52 at the time.
If you don't have the guts to fight them in court you won't have the guts to fight them in combat.
KF5GNW Radio Free LIberty
495H0kie
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:14:14 PM
I couldn't climb the rope prior to bootcamp but by the time it came around I just did it somehow.

My technique was not textbook: get off the ground, lift knees a couple feet, pinch rope with feet, then straighten legs out as climbing hand over hand.

Our DI, SSGT Mahone would climb the rope, hang out there a minute, then do behind the neck pullups.
edb66
Proud eighty percenter.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:14:16 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By FreeBear:

Rope climbing and pull-ups always kicked my ass when I was in the Infantry. Hated them both.

Can't say I had much love for the 'overhead ladder', either.

I hated that fucking overhead ladder. Welded monkeybars were easy as shit, but those freely spinning bars fucked me up for the first couple of weeks.
"I laugh, and she hit me in my muthafuckin jews wiff her flabby assed weenus bone. Troof".

bowbender7
Subnet
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:14:43 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By 23pistol23:

I have a harder time climbing using the actual technique. Feels like I'm wasting precious time trying to get my feet to work right.

I just clench that shit with my knees and thighs, lean back, and grab another arms length full. Pull self up and repeat.
If I remember right, VTHOKIESHOOTER almost made it all the way up, with just his arms.

You're both freaks of nature, as far as I'm concerned.
katrina24
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:16:29 PM
I miss the old Victory Tower at Ft Jackson
ttushooter
Professional Dachshund Wrangler
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:23:03 PM
There's no way in hell I could do it hand over hand. I could do it with my feet. Although I always found getting down the harder part. I rope burned the SHIT outta my hands the last time I tried while I was in college.
Suns's up, Guns up!

"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary"
-Vince Lombardi
TrojanMan
Bucky McGillicuddy and Kicks McGee
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:23:56 PM
[Last Edit: 2/24/2014 3:25:06 PM by TrojanMan]

Using legs is way easy.
I watched it.

I can do it hands only, but I chickened out on my run and used my legs. I just didn't want to risk anything.

Then Pistol got me to go up the thing, no feet, like ten more times and I seriously tweaked my left bicep.
He's an evil, drunken instigator.

Of course, Pistol, just so you know... Rusted Ace is going to kick our asses at CW4. There's apparently an anti-short people obstacle that Kai built which is impossible for anybody shorter than him.
subliminal1
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:27:59 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By katrina24:
I miss the old Victory Tower at Ft Jackson

There were quite a few who fell doing the 3-1-2.
Even more who were scared shitless of that Lil bitty rappel.
Shit happens to the unaware and unprepared.
Team Ranstad
surveyor3
No, no, turn it on. I can do both.
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:30:12 PM

If I remember right, VTHOKIESHOOTER almost made it all the way up, with just his arms.

You're both freaks of nature, as far as I'm concerned.

Palmore climbed that rope so much his forearms were fucked up for weeks afterwards.
"When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear." -Thomas Sowell

Join VCDL.org!
Jinxsters
Bread and Circuses.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:33:43 PM
Using your legs is for pussy's.
"I sent [these soldiers] here and asked them to go, [and] if they die there without me then would [that] I never again bear the title of king" ~ King Richard "The Lionheart"
ed_in_fl1
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:33:51 PM
I do it regularly in our warehouse at work; hand over hand NO feet. Ours is 20' (maybe a foot or two more), not 30', but I'm 100% certain I could do 30' without using my feet.

The trick is to keep your momentum and don't slow down to think about it. I am not "in shape" either; 195lbs, but I do farm work regularly and lift weights occasionally. I have always been blessed with decent upper body strength; not bragging, I know there are guys here far stronger than me. The other factor is go into it with the mentality of having a gorilla grip...hand strength and keeping a rock hard grip on the rope is what gets you up.

-Ed
sslocal
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:34:03 PM
I am 58 years old and I would wager a buck that I could climb that bitch.
DPeacher
WSBPTKT
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:36:30 PM
MCRD San Diego, 1984. I witnessed two Drill Instructors race each other up the O-course rope... boots first, heads down.

NAS Memphis, 1985. A newly promoted Gunnery Sergeant, fresh from his wet down at the Chiefs Club and with several CPO's in his company bet about 6 of us students that he could drink a beer from a plastic cup while hanging from the pull up bars by his toes. He was wearing Dress Blues and could barely walk. We lost that fucking bet, but he gave us several gallons of beer from his keg!
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
23pistol23
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/24/2014 3:39:13 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By TrojanMan:

I can do it hands only, but I chickened out on my run and used my legs. I just didn't want to risk anything.

Then Pistol got me to go up the thing, no feet, like ten more times and I seriously tweaked my left bicep.
He's an evil, drunken instigator.

Of course, Pistol, just so you know... Rusted Ace is going to kick our asses at CW4. There's apparently an anti-short people obstacle that Kai built which is impossible for anybody shorter than him.

I like to bring the pain after a few beers. I think johnnypantz is still mad from me making him arm wrestle all night and fail the conex the next day.

I ain't scared of no fucking obstacles. I got ups for a shrimp. If I can't reach it by jumping I'll run up the side of that shit.

But if he wants to play that shit, I'll make a 3ft limbo obstacle.

Hi, I'm Pistol.