Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2014 10:28:08 AM EDT
I was watching the Harold Ramis' movie Stripes last night.  There is the famous scene when Sgt. Hulka is challenged to climb the rope and tells everyone to step aside as he proceeds to climb hand over hand all the way up to the top.

That had to have been at least 30 feet high, or more.  Would you be able climb a rope like that?

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I was watching the Harold Ramis' movie Stripes last night.  There is the famous scene when Sgt. Hulka is challenged to climb the rope and tells everyone to step aside as he proceeds to climb hand over hand all the way up to the top.

That had to have been at least 30 feet high, or more.  Would you be able climb a rope like that?
View Quote

Only if there was some pussy up there. Or God miracled my ass up there.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a trick to it (you primarily use your legs).

Note also: I totally suck at it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

yes

yes (USMC)

and meh - it's not so bad
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#4]
You can pass basic without making the climb in fact we had more that could not climb than could.

Never could figure out that trick and no way I was going to arm my fat ass all the way up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#5]
A 15ft rope doesn't seem very far until you get on that fucker....

And yeah...key's in the legs. We had a guy go up Donkey Kong style at Bragg...one rope in each arm.

I was 227lbs out of OSUT...I had to use my legs a lot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#6]
had to do it when I was in basic (95)...I'd been climbing trees and ropes growing up so it wasn't that big of a deal for me...we did have a few who had issues..
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't remember going up any ropes in basic.

At OCS we climbed all the time. It's all technique. Rope under one foot, over the other to pinch it in place. Arms only get used as helpers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I was always a master of climbing the rope with my legs, so much so that I always looked forward to it at the end of the O-course.  Mainly, because I was always such a fatass that it made be feel better about my self at the end after slugging through the rest of it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#9]
....double tap...
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Some girls can do it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
yes

yes (USMC)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yes

yes (USMC)

It sucks a LOT harder with full gear after running the O-course.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
hand over hand all the way up to the top.

View Quote

I can and have climbed a rope like that and won a bet against VTHOKIESHOOTER.

If you can do about 10 pullups in a row you should be able to do it.

Using legs is way easy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Using legs is way easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Using legs is way easy.
I watched it.

You and Sylvan did your best to teach me how to do it properly, but my VERY drunk uncoordinated ass wasn't having it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#14]
You climb rope with your legs. Dragging yourself up with your arms is hard mode.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see it

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I needed help with the rope but once I got the trick of using the legs, it was a lot easier. It also helped to have a DS screaming in my ear that I would get sent to the fatbody platoon for remedial training unless I got my ass up that rope.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes.  Rope climbing is crazy easy with the right technique.  Climbing rope without legs is pretty challenging.  I used to show off by grabbing a rope in each hand and using just my upper body to pull myself to the top without using any legs.  Always blew everyone away.  In reality, that technique was easier, in my opinion, than climbing one rope without legs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#18]
We had to do that in high school PE class. In fact, the last two years of HS 67' and 68'
Three days out of five all we did exercise the entire class.
I think they were getting us ready for basic training.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I never had to climb a rope in basic.  But this thread makes me want to find a rope just to show I can do it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Rope climbing and pull-ups always kicked my ass when I was in the Infantry. Hated them both.

Can't say I had much love for the 'overhead ladder', either.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I watched it.  

You and Sylvan did your best to teach me how to do it properly, but my VERY drunk uncoordinated ass wasn't having it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using legs is way easy.
I watched it.  

I have a harder time climbing using the actual technique. Feels like I'm wasting precious time trying to get my feet to work right.

I just clench that shit with my knees and thighs, lean back, and grab another arms length full. Pull self up and repeat.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to have a rope up in a tree back by my shooting range.  I climbed it a lot and got pretty good at it.  It was still up during a shoot.  I think I got asked about 50 times what the rope was for.  I always answered it was for climbing.  As the day wore on, no one took up challenge of climbing it.  Someone finally said, let's see you climb it.  I was the only one.  I was like 51 or 52 at the time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I couldn't climb the rope prior to bootcamp but by the time it came around I just did it somehow.  

My technique was not textbook:  get off the ground, lift knees a couple feet, pinch rope with feet, then straighten legs out as climbing hand over hand.

Our DI, SSGT Mahone would climb the rope, hang out there a minute, then do behind the neck pullups.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Rope climbing and pull-ups always kicked my ass when I was in the Infantry. Hated them both.

Can't say I had much love for the 'overhead ladder', either.
View Quote

I hated that fucking overhead ladder. Welded monkeybars were easy as shit, but those freely spinning bars fucked me up for the first couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have a harder time climbing using the actual technique. Feels like I'm wasting precious time trying to get my feet to work right.

I just clench that shit with my knees and thighs, lean back, and grab another arms length full. Pull self up and repeat.

View Quote
If I remember right, VTHOKIESHOOTER almost made it all the way up, with just his arms.

You're both freaks of nature, as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I miss the old Victory Tower at Ft Jackson
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#27]
There's no way in hell I could do it hand over hand.  I could do it with my feet.  Although I always found getting down the harder part.  I rope burned the SHIT outta my hands the last time I tried while I was in college.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I watched it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using legs is way easy.
I watched it.  

I can do it hands only, but I chickened out on my run and used my legs.  I just didn't want to risk anything.

Then Pistol got me to go up the thing, no feet, like ten more times and I seriously tweaked my left bicep.  
He's an evil, drunken instigator.  

Of course, Pistol, just so you know... Rusted Ace is going to kick our asses at CW4.  There's apparently an anti-short people obstacle that Kai built which is impossible for anybody shorter than him.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I miss the old Victory Tower at Ft Jackson
View Quote

There were quite a few who fell doing the 3-1-2.
Even more who were scared shitless of that Lil bitty rappel.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If I remember right, VTHOKIESHOOTER almost made it all the way up, with just his arms.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Palmore climbed that rope so much his forearms were fucked up for weeks afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Using your legs is for pussy's.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I do it regularly in our warehouse at work; hand over hand NO feet. Ours is 20' (maybe a foot or two more), not 30', but I'm 100% certain I could do 30' without using my feet.

The trick is to keep your momentum and don't slow down to think about it. I am not "in shape" either; 195lbs, but I do farm work regularly and lift weights occasionally. I have always been blessed with decent upper body strength; not bragging, I know there are guys here far stronger than me. The other factor is go into it with the mentality of having a gorilla grip...hand strength and keeping a rock hard grip on the rope is what gets you up.

-Ed
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I am 58 years old and I would wager a buck that I could climb that bitch.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#34]
MCRD San Diego, 1984.  I witnessed two Drill Instructors race each other up the O-course rope... boots first, heads down.  

NAS Memphis, 1985.   A newly promoted Gunnery Sergeant, fresh from his wet down at the Chiefs Club and with several CPO's in his company bet about 6 of us students that he could drink a beer from a plastic cup while hanging from the pull up bars by his toes.  He was wearing Dress Blues and could barely walk.  We lost that fucking bet, but he gave us several gallons of beer from his keg!
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I can do it hands only, but I chickened out on my run and used my legs.  I just didn't want to risk anything.

Then Pistol got me to go up the thing, no feet, like ten more times and I seriously tweaked my left bicep.  
He's an evil, drunken instigator.  

Of course, Pistol, just so you know... Rusted Ace is going to kick our asses at CW4.  There's apparently an anti-short people obstacle that Kai built which is impossible for anybody shorter than him.
View Quote

I like to bring the pain after a few beers. I think johnnypantz is still mad from me making him arm wrestle all night and fail the conex the next day.

I ain't scared of no fucking obstacles. I got ups for a shrimp. If I can't reach it by jumping I'll run up the side of that shit.

But if he wants to play that shit, I'll make a 3ft limbo obstacle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top