Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Timco wrote:
Lots and lots of non union shops out there who need decent apprentices. Not just a union job. Call around. The union shops are all salty dogs who refuse to embrace new technology.
View Quote

Union guys get paid by the hour.  The union gets a "dues check-off", which in my case was 3%, off the pay stub amount.  So the union makes more money off you...err... The contractor... To line their coffers with.  The benefits package is based on each hour worked.  Journeyman (outside) carpenter scale (and millwright) is $35.47 per hour.  With a benefits  package over $10 an hour, that the contractor pays into.  Plus in St. Louis, the union carpenters get a buck taken out for. "vacation stamps".  Fiscal year runs from May 1st to April 30th.  The goal for each plan/fiscal year is 24 million man hours.  So, yeah, sure I'd like the interest paid onto $24 million for a year.  

In short, there is no incentive for the union to make a job go quicker or more efficient.

EDIT:  right around memorial day/June 1st, the St. Louis union carps get a check cut out to them for the amount of hours they worked during that fiscal year, minus $5.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:28:21 AM EDT
[#2]
My father and grandfather were both Iron Workers. They both told me to do something else, so I became  Aircraft structures (sheet metal). Still get to play with metal and i learned welding on the side. DON'T DO IT!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:37:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think OP has lost his f'ing mind
View Quote

Same. Unless OP is independently wealthy, looking for hard exercise, and hates gyms, I'd stick to nursing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:00:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Lots and lots of non union shops out there who need decent apprentices. Not just a union job. Call around. The union shops are all salty dogs who refuse to embrace new technology.
View Quote

hahaha you know nothing of what you speak! the unionized building trades are all about training and technology!

the Chicago district council of the UBC has about 380,000 square feet of training labs and classrooms. if you want to learn how to be a carpenter they are accepting apprenticeship applications.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]

OP will be building upscale outhouses?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get ready for one hell of a culture shock going from nursing to Iron work. I would keep it to myself about that, these guys were the roughest bunch of all the trades I have worked with. They do not even like each other! LOL. You can make a ton of money, but it is hard,dangerous work and they earn every penny. Always exposed to the elements and you had better like heights. They will be hard on you as an apprentice....so be ready. Good luck.
View Quote

Que, your gonna get raped .jpg
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#8]
If it were me, I would look into Fire Sprinklers Union 669 and their apprenticeship program.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#9]
This response is for the guys who keep saying "OP is a fucking idiot. Ironwork/construction is too physically demanding, you won't make it. Stick with nursing, it's the best job in the world "...

I'm currently an LPN with limited career opportunities unless I go back to school for my RN (2+ years of full time classes). I've discovered LPN's generally have limited job opportunities outside of nursing, unless you have upper management experience and/ or a bachelors degree. Private sector nursing agencies bill the insurance companies anywhere between $38- $200 for every hour I work. My last job paid $23 per hour with no employer contributions for healthcare or retirement. Agencies make a fucking fortune off of staffing licensed nurses. Union dues are cheap in comparison. I considered starting my own agency, but I don't have the necessary $200-300k for start up. Non medical folks have no clue what it's like to spend 15 years busting your ass 60 + hours/week to care for the fsa, I'm fucking done, period. I actually enjoy working with my hands and building, and I know the work is hard/physically demanding. I stand 5'6" and 170 lbs. I can run an 8 min mile, my one rep max on the bench press is 245 lbs, and I have active duty military experience. I'm not a stud by any means, but I'll make it. My 10 year plan is to start up a contracting/welding business after completion of the apprenticeship and 5 years experience as a journeyman. Sometimes we have to sacrifice and risk a little bit of comfort and familiarity to do great things in life. Thanks again to all the guys giving advice and offering encouragement.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This response is for the guys who keep saying "OP is a fucking idiot. Ironwork/construction is too physically demanding, you won't make it. Stick with nursing, it's the best job in the world "...

I'm currently an LPN with limited career opportunities unless I go back to school for my RN (2+ years of full time classes). I've discovered LPN's generally have limited job opportunities outside of nursing, unless you have upper management experience and/ or a bachelors degree. Private sector nursing agencies bill the insurance companies anywhere between $38- $200 for every hour I work. My last job paid $23 per hour with no employer contributions for healthcare or retirement. Agencies make a fucking fortune off of staffing licensed nurses. Union dues are cheap in comparison. I considered starting my own agency, but I don't have the necessary $200-300k for start up. Non medical folks have no clue what it's like to spend 15 years busting your ass 60 + hours/week to care for the fsa, I'm fucking done, period. I actually enjoy working with my hands and building, and I know the work is hard/physically demanding. I stand 5'6" and 170 lbs. I can run an 8 min mile, my one rep max on the bench press is 245 lbs, and I have active duty military experience. I'm not a stud by any means, but I'll make it. My 10 year plan is to start up a contracting/welding business after completion of the apprenticeship and 5 years experience as a journeyman. Sometimes we have to sacrifice and risk a little bit of comfort and familiarity to do great things in life. Thanks again to all the guys giving advice and offering encouragement.
View Quote

you don't need to invest 10 years being a slave to the ironworkers to start a welding/fab shop. There are welding fab shops going under all over the place that are for sale.  Buy one.

I would stay in healthcare, just change what you do.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Personally it seems like you would be better off building on what you have.  Go back to school and become a nurse anesthesiologist or some other specialization.

Iron work is a pretty damn big swing in more than one way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Reyloxdm

Does this mean you made it into the IrornWorkers apprenticeship.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#13]
OP being in the construction industry, I'm telling you those iron workers do some hard ass work. You will be so far out of you element it isn't funny.  You will regret this career change.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#14]
My father is a retired ironworker (broken neck at 51) and I also gave it a shot after highschool. Don't do it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They all say that shit.  Especially in New Jersey...

I spent quite a large amount of time around Masons when I worked with the trades and they were mostly functional alcoholics.  Now I knew some very professional ones but there was always a common factor, bitching out Laborers (i.e. acting like a prima donna) and starting to drink the minute they got in their truck at the end of the shift.
View Quote

It's always masons taking the brunt of the sterotype, but really about half the tradesmen in any category are the same as you describe.

I think the masons just bitch the loudest.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP being in the construction industry, I'm telling you those iron workers do some hard ass work. You will be so far out of you element it isn't funny. You will regret this career change.
View Quote

Sometimes they've got to experience it before they figure it out.   Hopefully he won't be too old and wore out when he is seeking a third career choice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]
A guy I know did it the other way around. Iron worker to nurse.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:12:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's always masons taking the brunt of the sterotype, but really about half the tradesmen in any category are the same as you describe.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They all say that shit.  Especially in New Jersey...

I spent quite a large amount of time around Masons when I worked with the trades and they were mostly functional alcoholics.  Now I knew some very professional ones but there was always a common factor, bitching out Laborers (i.e. acting like a prima donna) and starting to drink the minute they got in their truck at the end of the shift.

Roofers can be pretty bad too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#19]

they can keep their 30 bucks an hour.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

you don't need to invest 10 years being a slave to the ironworkers to start a welding/fab shop. There are welding fab shops going under all over the place that are for sale.  Buy one.

View Quote

You need to know what you're doing and have some experience.
"I want to have my own auto body shop. Never painted a car in my life, but I've painted some houses and played around with rattle cans  Hey, I'm gonna go buy a shop! What could possibly go wrong? I'm sure a guy can just learn as they go."

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

"I want to have my own auto body shop. Never painted a car in my life, but I've painted some houses and played around with rattle cans  Hey, I'm gonna go buy a shop! What could possibly go wrong? I'm sure a guy can just learn as they go."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A good businessman can run any business. Buy one going under and turn it around.  Employ the best employees and hire the best sales team. You, as owner, learn from the trade organizations (not the union) who provide help to new business all the time in all the trades.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A good businessman can run any business. Buy one going under and turn it around.  Employ the best employees and hire the best sales team. You, as owner, learn from the trade organizations (not the union) who provide help to new business all the time in all the trades.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have the money to buy a business, and I sure as hell wouldn't try to run one unless I knew at least the basics. How would you bid on jobs without knowing what it entails from every angle? You're just gonna trust one of your "best employees" with your finances and professional reputation? Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#23]
You have all the answers.  Good luck with your endeavors.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Does anybody here have any advice to offer?
View Quote

Get your head examined.

And prepare your angus.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so he should parlay his extensive experience in turning failing businesses around (LPN's do a lot of that, so I'm assuming he has the skills) to leverage his venture capital into a welding shop. Got it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I work in the steel fabrication business. I agree with the owner of my company. Just because you can fit, weld, etc...doesn't make you a good business person. I've seen more of them go under in the last 25 years for that very reason.

I personally wouldn't buy a failed business for even pennies on the dollar unless you really know about business.

I personally would stick to nursing. By the time you get older you can go to school part time and upgrade your education. A friend of mine did that and is now teaching and working in an office.

By the time you are 50+ as an iron worker you'll be wore out physically. I see them everday. Not to mention a good chance of missing a finger or two after 30 years. You'll make good money now but get into something so that when you are 50+ you won't be a near cripple doing it. I always feel bad for our guys in the shop who have worked there all their life. By the time they retire they are damn near cripples and they only work while standing, not doing iron work type stuff.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Ironwworkers Union in Seattle is taking apprentices, prior military is nearly an automatic in. Payscale here is $26 to start IIRC. Carpenter's Union is a buck or two less an hour, ($24 I think) and looking for apprentices. Journeyman scale is $38/$37 as far I know.

If you want to move to W. WA theres a good chance my company would write you a letter to get in the Carpenter's as an apprentice.  There's no real slow down here in the winter ( fleece under rain gear and good goretex boots) and the work forecast is looking good for the next 2-3 years as far as jobs that are being bid. Currently there are 15+ tower cranes up and running in downtown Seattle.  

The Ironworkers Union has a 2 year program for rod busters, 2 years apprenticeship and test out as a "rod only journeyman". As I understand it the work is steadier for rod busters.  I tried getting my girlfriend's nephew in but he drug his ass so much the IW Superintendant who offered him a job as an apprentice said "Never mind, he's obviously not motivated" and the nephew continues to make $9 minimum wage 20 hours a week while he contemplates joining the service instead of making $25/hr for 40+/hrs a week while he contemplates joining the service.

The job I'm on currently, the rodbusters are working 8-12 hours a day plus a couple Saturdays a month to stay on schedule during the underground parking garage portion. After the 1st floor it turns into a 22 story structural steel building.

I've been in the Carpenter's since '07. I don't know anyone at my Union hall other then the people at the counter who take my dues payment at my local, always hustled my own jobs by knocking on office trailers and staying in touch with Carpenter's I've worked with previously. I've worked for the same company off and on since '08 as well as several others as things got slow in 09/10.  I suspect Union politics is a much larger issue other places then it is here, the guys who suck dont work long assuming they work at all. Either by fucking things up too much on site and being laid off, or through self selection when they fail to show up on time or at all.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, are you working as an Apprentice Carpenter or you still waiting on the IW to call you up?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't do it OP.

I used to work as a boilermaker, and have worked with some iron workers in the past as well. Those older guys with seniority are going to take the good jobs on the site, and as a new guy you are going to end up being a rod buster. You will deal with lots of retards and pill heads who will put your safety in jeopardy. Don't do it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don't do it OP.

I used to work as a boilermaker, and have worked with some iron workers in the past as well. Those older guys with seniority are going to take the good jobs on the site, and as a new guy you are going to end up being a rod buster. You will deal with lots of retards and pill heads who will put your safety in jeopardy. Don't do it.

View Quote

Bull Shit.

The only one that puts your life in jeopardy is yourself.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OP, are you working as an Apprentice Carpenter or you still waiting on the IW to call you up?
View Quote

I start work tomorrow with a union carpenter contractor, and I also have my final interview tomorrow after work with the Ironworkers union.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I start work tomorrow with a union carpenter contractor, and I also have my final interview tomorrow after work with the Ironworkers union.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get ready to pick splinters. You will probably get a blister too.

Every time a new young person comes to help me I offer them a pair of gloves, they almost always decline to be tough. Blisters everywhere by the end of the day.

The price for the callouses is pain.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Have fun punking rebar, if you don't know what that means you will soon enough.
View Quote
Every apprenticeship has it's punks

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Thread's full of 'to-the-point' reasons not to fo.....but this one seems best.......

Quoted:

Ive been in commercial/industrial trades for 30 years OP.

You have to be out of you bloody mind to all of a sudden leave a field like nursing to go and DESTROY your body being an iron worker.

Unless you grew up in it or are a damn kid you are seriously out of your element and mind.

I would and will NEVER do what they do. Not for any money.

Every damn one I know has seriously fucked themselves up.

Plenty that are dead.

I have the same absolute no way attitude towards being a brick/block layer. (breathing in silicates all day from sawcutting blocks and brick... fuck that)

What a lousy job.

Leave a well paid attractive women filled air conditioned and or climate controlled job to go outside and work in broiling TX sun...

ahahhahahhahahahaha...

View Quote

I'd only worked around them for about 13 years , but it was early on I could see that was not a job to be envying .

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#36]
GL again OP (ex RN) I had to take a Baker Act into the ER I worked 13 yrs at, at 47 y/o and a new Cop , everyone one of my old co workers mouthed dropped when I walked in. They were like You are a COP ????????  They were slammed, I just smiled and gave them a big YUP and was out the door..fuk nursing in the ass..
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Bull Shit.

The only one that puts your life in jeopardy is yourself.
View Quote

I don't  know all the details, but on Friday on my site the column crew knocked an unsecured  3 story scaffold stair tower over  with the tower crane. Missed the rod busters fab yard by 10 feet or so and a chunk of steel tread plank hit one of the general contractor's carpenters on the hard hat  no injuries  but other then running for their lives there wasn't anything the rodbusters and the carpenters not involved in the stripping of the column forms could have done.

You shouldn't have to quit a job in order to be safe, however I have worked for that kind of company  and managed to have my left hand broken by a coworker.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Klein pliers, good boots I preferred Knapp boots but they aren't made anymore I think, rolled index fingered gloves, backstrap on hard hat, Wrangler Jeans, Carhart jackets and overalls, Genuine Thermos thermos. get a good ruler, buy your shirts a size or two larger than you need you'll thank me when it gets cold and you have to layer. start back exercises now, build your quads before you start, wool socks in the winter they wick better stay dryer than cotton, learn how to carry the load on your shoulder taking the weight full on, Pull more than your weight for the first couple years and you'll make out fine. Try not to self medicate with booze, you will probably eventually but  hold off, it will be very rough on your body. Take as much overtime as possible you will need it in the down time. If you have a pension fund and annuity down there contribute as much as you can so you can get out before you turn 60. It is a very satisfying job but it will be very rough on your body. As others have stated don't do it unless you have a healthy respect of heights and no fear of them. Good luck. Oh, and you can probably cancel your health club membership.
View Quote

That's a great summary

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Don't do it OP.

View Quote

the entitlement is strong! so as a young buck you deserve to start at the top? how old were you at the time you were in the trades?

just about all the big jobs drug test everyone. you are the only one who can put yourself in danger! 26  years as a union tradesman I have never been seriously injured.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Ahhhh...yes, the port-a-shitters!  That's another thing you get to look forward to.

View Quote
Never take a dump without a Sharpie in yer pocket . . . ya never know when you might have to defend the good name of a brother ...or mother...

...or have a helluva witty reply for yourself

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Tried ironwork, fuck them assholes! Went over to pipefitting and turned out as a Journeyman this past October, much better people.
View Quote
Twice ?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I met an old one, he was 53.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you never see an old iron worker.

I met an old one, he was 53.

I knew one very well, he was my dad, he retired at 58. He had a series of micro strokes by the time he was 75 and he was dead before he turned 79. Personally I was glad I buggered up both my knees and that I was out before I turned 40.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Wait until OP sees construction site porta-john art.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wait until OP sees construction site porta-john art.
View Quote

to say nothing of the poems and limericks written in grease crayons and magic markers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Every time a new young person comes to help me I offer them a pair of gloves, they almost always decline to be tough. Blisters everywhere by the end of the day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm taking 3 pairs of gloves tomorrow, a pair of mechanix,  a pair of form fitting leather gloves, and a generic pair of leather contractors gloves. I'm betting I can sell at least one pair to pay for lunch depending on how many entry level guys they hired.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#46]
First day AAR please.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Bunch of slack jaw faggots here
Porta-San is best toilet
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I ended up doing orientation, piss test, paperwork, then they sent me to the union hall with a letter of intent to hire, and I signed on as a first term carpenters apprentice for a 4 year apprenticeship. They're sending me out to a job site Thursday. I didn't realize carpentry covered such a wide range of skills...framing/roofing, cabinet making, masonry, millwright work, and metal truss fabrication to include welding. There are lots of opportunities to expand on my skills, including basic welding certification. There's a 90 day probationary period so I can see if it's a good fit. I also had the Ironwork Apprenticeship interview and that went great, so I expect I'll get an offer from them as well. The hourly pay is a bit higher, but I'm expected to work more hours/year with the Carpenters. To make things even more confusing, I received a call from the plumbers/pipefitters to let me know they haven't forgotten about me. If I go with them, I'll have to work up to a year as a pre-apprentice (for only$10 an hour)with no gaurantee I'll be accepted into the apprenticeship. They do have the the most intense welding program including medical gas and x ray certifications though, and my BIL is pushing me towards them. I'll give an AAR later this week.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I ended up doing orientation, piss test, paperwork, then they sent me to the union hall with a letter of intent to hire, and I signed on as a first term carpenters apprentice for a 4 year apprenticeship. They're sending me out to a job site Thursday. I didn't realize carpentry covered such a wide range of skills...framing/roofing, cabinet making, masonry, millwright work, and metal truss fabrication to include welding. There are lots of opportunities to expand on my skills, including basic welding certification. There's a 90 day probationary period so I can see if it's a good fit. I also had the Ironwork Apprenticeship interview and that went great, so I expect I'll get an offer from them as well. The hourly pay is a bit higher, but I'm expected to work more hours/year with the Carpenters. To make things even more confusing, I received a call from the plumbers/pipefitters to let me know they haven't forgotten about me. If I go with them, I'll have to work up to a year as a pre-apprentice (for only$10 an hour)with no gaurantee I'll be accepted into the apprenticeship. They do have the the most intense welding program including medical gas and x ray certifications though, and my BIL is pushing me towards them. I'll give an AAR later this week.
View Quote

28 year carpenter here, go pipe fighter / refrigeration!!!

pussies wear gloves!

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Pipe fiddlers/pipe welders make 20-50% more money than ironworkers and do 25% of the amount of work.

It's the best paying of the lesser trades. If you're a petulant crybaby, it might be a better fit.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top