BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I take it you are grumpy, or you are grumpy and you stink.  So which one are you, Mason or ironworker?  Lol jk  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck.  Iron workers stink to high heaven, but at least they aren't masons.lol  

Hey now
I take it you are grumpy, or you are grumpy and you stink.  So which one are you, Mason or ironworker?  Lol jk  

Mason, just stinky though, not grumpy.

I know some old timers though and they are some miserable fuckers. Alcoholic bastards will yell from the time they get on the job in the morning until they can get their first drink at night. Then they are jovial as fuck.

I burn clean, no drinking, smoking or drugs. People call me an anomaly.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I know some old timers though and they are some miserable fuckers. Alcoholic bastards will yell from the time they get on the job in the morning until they can get their first drink at night. Then they are jovial as fuck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck.  Iron workers stink to high heaven, but at least they aren't masons.lol  

Hey now

My first job in the trades was tending masons... Every mason I ran into was a miserable drunk.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My first job in the trades was tending masons... Every mason I ran into was a miserable drunk.
View Quote

It is strange too, like a rule.

Masons are drunks, painters huff the fumes, drywall guys are stoners, roofers......well they just do all 3
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Masons are drunks, painters huff the fumes, drywall guys are stoners, roofers......well they just do all 3
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And most tradesmen seem to bitch and moan and are grumpy as fuck like it is their hobby.
Not me and not you though.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And most tradesmen seem to bitch and moan and are grumpy as fuck like it is their hobby.Not me and not you though.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And most tradesmen seem to bitch and moan and are grumpy as fuck like it is their hobby.Not me and not you though.  

If I ever get sick of what I do, I will find something else to do.

I don't know why so many old grumpy bastards still do it if they don't like it. Hell, if half them didn't booze and chain smoke they could have retired 15 years early on what they saved.

That said. I think I see an end in sight over the next 10 years. I would like to hire a crew and actually assume a bossman role and watch the young guys bust their asses while I make the dough. I'm not quite 30 yet though, so I will just keep doing all the work for now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The erectors always get the glory.

Dad was a rod-buster. Structural reinforcing. All his pretty rebar work is out of view, but we're all glad it's there.
View Quote

My dad and I both worked re-bar we both worked structural, though he worked considerably more structural than I did, the money is in the re-bar. You get more overtime, and you work in most weather.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My dad and I both worked re-bar we both worked structural, though he worked considerably more structural than I did, the money is in the re-bar. You get more overtime, and you work in most weather.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dad was a rod-buster. Structural reinforcing. All his pretty rebar work is out of view, but we're all glad it's there.

Saw dad put the big oxy bottles and huge bundles of rebar on his shoulder and walk the rebar out to the site. One tough guy. Tough as nails.

Taught me to carry things on my shoulder. Still do carry the heavy stuff on my shoulder.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you considered HVAC?

There is money in that too, and the work is better, except getting sliced often.
View Quote

Hey now, my hands resemble that remark.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Saw dad put the big oxy bottles and huge bundles of rebar on his shoulder and walk the rebar out to the site. One tough guy. Tough as nails.

Taught me to carry things on my shoulder. Still do carry the heavy stuff on my shoulder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dad stuck me on a large federal job in Chicago during my summer vacation while I was in college. There were two guys ready for retirement that were tying the steel, the foreman and myself. The foreman and I were the only ones carrying the iron. Figure we must have each carried close to a ton and half of iron each per day and then we tied it down in what was left of the afternoon. At the end of the summer the foreman told my dad he didn't want me on his job the following summer, he claimed I was trying to kill him while carrying. I told my dad if he loved me he wouldn't put me on a job with that foreman next summer, I complained he just about killed me when we carried together. Neither of us wanted to give in to the other. Oh, and those Oxy bottles, those are always fun to carry while climbing up three stories on ladders. As for your shoulder, you don't feel a thing after the first week or so.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is money in that too, and the work is better, except getting sliced often.

The boiler trades need fresh blood. Not many young folk threading 4" and 6" these days.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dad stuck me on a large federal job in Chicago during my summer vacation while I was in college. There were two guys ready for retirement that were tying the steel, the foreman and myself. The foreman and I were the only ones carrying the iron. Figure we must have each carried close to a ton and half of iron each per day and then we tied it down in what was left of the afternoon. At the end of the summer the foreman told my dad he didn't want me on his job the following summer, he claimed I was trying to kill him while carrying. I told my dad if he loved me he wouldn't put me on a job with that foreman next summer, I complained he just about killed me when we carried together. Neither of us wanted to give in to the other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dad stuck me on a large federal job in Chicago during my summer vacation while I was in college. There were two guys ready for retirement that were tying the steel, the foreman and myself. The foreman and I were the only ones carrying the iron. Figure we must have each carried close to a ton and half of iron each per day and then we tied it down in what was left of the afternoon. At the end of the summer the foreman told my dad he didn't want me on his job the following summer, he claimed I was trying to kill him while carrying. I told my dad if he loved me he wouldn't put me on a job with that foreman next summer, I complained he just about killed me when we carried together. Neither of us wanted to give in to the other.

I was in elementary school when dad brought me to the job. I laid out dobies and he showed me how to tie. Bailey steel even made me a check once. Thought I was the shit!!!! He gave me some old square bar I still have.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't think of anything more opposite of nursing than iron worker.
View Quote

What I was thinking
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Word is that the local masons have written into their contract that they can drink a certain amount of beer at lunch.

Must be for medical reasons.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The boiler trades need fresh blood. Not many young folk threading 4" and 6" these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

S'funny, when I called about apprenticeships recently, they basically told me that if I waited on the list about 18 months, I might get to finally spend another 6 months being the jobsite whipping boy before I started being paid and actually learning something.

I asked "so if I have a full-time commitment for 6 months that I'm not getting paid for, how do I eat and pay rent?"

He laughed and told me to have a nice day.

Guess they're really hurtin' for fresh blood.  Or something.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

S'funny, when I called about apprenticeships recently, they basically told me that if I waited on the list about 18 months, I might get to finally spend another 6 months being the jobsite whipping boy before I started being paid and actually learning something.

I asked "so if I have a full-time commitment for 6 months that I'm not getting paid for, how do I eat and pay rent?"

View Quote

Find someone who is in, then configure to look like you are related to them, then apply.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After being in the trades I have noticed there are only 3 types of people that work the trades
1. Drunks... lets face it, construction work is not rocket surgery, its doable hung over or half lit..
2. Idiots.... I work with mostly idiots, I actually wonder how some of them manage to operate a car and navigate the roads to get to work, Hell a couple of them I do believe dropped out of 3rd or 4th grade
3. actual builders/workers... Many people ( my self included) were just born to build shit,

Drunks are able to squeak by because the fall right in the middle.. There not totally useless, and there not all idiots..
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots and lots of non union shops out there who need decent apprentices. Not just a union job. Call around. The union shops are all salty dogs who refuse to embrace new technology.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Word is that the local masons have written into their contract that they can drink a certain amount of beer at lunch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True story, the masons I worked with had some sorta of agreement were they only worked untill 230, on fridays so they could get the bars sooner. We all got 40 hours a week, but left and hour early and friday, not sure how it worked but my boss said thank the masons.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Gonna throw in another vote for HVACR (service field and not construction).  In addition to refrigeration work you work on a lot of electrical. Our Seattle Union is paying a little over 50/hr on the check alone for journeyman. Get in with a good company and know your Shit and you won't have to worry about getting benched. Good luck man
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#20]
20 year jiw out of local 3 pgh pa . the 72 k a year is 52 weeks a year 40 hours a week unless you get on some good overtime job.  that doesn't happen that often. it's more of a good paying part time job.it's usually feast or famine.  it's hard on the body right shoulder has been operated on left shoulder needs it done back hurts most of the time. I've worked in the rod patch , lots of structural, lots of heavy industrial maintenance in the steel mills. when it comes to benefits they're expensive, roughly $16500/year for the high family plan. that's just medical and life insurance. that' based on hours worked , for each hour worked the employer makes a contribution.(which is bullshit because it comes out our pay,every year at raise time we're told how much we have to contribute just to keep our current coverage.) if you don't get enough hours you loose your insurance. right now work sucks . be prepared to be layed off , or boom out to where the work is. work will be job to job unless you have relatives in the business or you're a ballsucker. I've met some great guys had a lot of fun drank enough for 10 lifetimes . work just needs to be a little more steady. just make sure you go in with eyes open this work isn't for the great majority of people.personally i'ld stick with nursing go take night welding classes at local comunity college if that's what you really want to do. what ever  you do good luck. if you get into punk school listen to the journey men, pay attention at all times, don't be a ya ya ya know it all kind of guy when shit is explained to you.work safe

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Just a quick update, I finished the 2 week pre-apprentice class last month. I was surprised to see 6 or 7 women in class, and they were were little 95 lb girly girls, not butch at all. Based on the quality of people I'm competing with, I feel my chances are very good of getting in. I finished with 470/500 possible points from math and Ironwork Theory tests, and I have the final interview this Monday. They plan to hire anywhere between 30-60 apprentices and the next class will start either September of 2014, or January of 2015. I also interviewed last month at the local plumbers/pipefitters for a pre-apprentice position. The apprentice coordinator said he thinks I'll be a good fit, and he'll call me as soon as he gets a personnel request from a contractor. I've called him twice to follow up, but haven't heard a word. I'm also applying for 8-10 help wanted ads for entry level construction workers per week, and I've submitted my resume at a local job outreach program. Not surprisingly people are hesitant to hire me with my recent nursing background, and I'm finding it very difficult to get hired without knowing anybody in the industry.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just a quick update, I finished the 2 week pre-apprentice class last month. I was surprised to see 6 or 7 women in class, and they were were little 95 lb girly girls, not butch at all. Based on the quality of people I'm competing with, I feel my chances are very good of getting in. I finished with 470/500 possible points from math and Ironwork Theory tests, and I have the final interview this Monday. They plan to hire anywhere between 30-60 apprentices and the next class will start either September of 2014, or January of 2015. I also interviewed last month at the local plumbers/pipefitters for a pre-apprentice position. The apprentice coordinator said he thinks I'll be a good fit, and he'll call me as soon as he gets a personnel request from a contractor. I've called him twice to follow up, but haven't heard a word. I'm also applying for 8-10 help wanted ads for entry level construction workers per week, and I've submitted my resume at a local job outreach program. Not surprisingly people are hesitant to hire me with my recent nursing background, and I'm finding it very difficult to get hired without knowing anybody in the industry.
View Quote
Keep trying,  you'll make it in some where.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#23]
good luck
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies gents, keep em coming. To answer some questions, I have personal reasons for wanting to get out of nursing. Suffice it to say, if I knew I had to work in nursing another 20 years until retirement I would be very depressed. A  journeyman ironworker makes $32/ hr and my current wage is low to mid $20's/hour. I've also applied at the plumbers/pipefitters union,( they have roughly 25% unemployment right now), and the sheetmetal workers union( orientation meeting next month). I can always fall back on nursing, but I'd like to learn a new trade so I have more options in the future. I've always wanted to learn how to weld and fabricate iron/steel, and I realize the work will be hard/demanding.
View Quote

OP, I'm sure you have your reasons.  If one of the biggest reasons is simply pay, I would suggest you look into additional training/schooling/jobs in the nursing field that might increase your salary.  You currently have job experience in one of the fiew fields that has a low probability of a downward demand.  If you do a major switch in fields (as you are planning), all of that experience goes out the window and you are starting off back at the bottom.  It sounds like you are unhappy at your current/last job.  I'm not going to tell you to stick it out there, but I would suggest you strongly consider a job change inside of the healthcare.  That said, if you are determined to do something totally different I'll say good luck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Working up the construction ladder is similar to working up the office setting one. As someone who hires help for tough jobs I would probably pass on someone from the nursing field too without personally knowing them.

You are basically going to have to start right at the bottom, where most 18 year old kids start, and for the same shit pay. At least it is that way if you can't get into any of the unions.

I pay unskilled help 10 bucks an hour, 12 once they begin to figure things out and can actually anticipate and act before being told what to do.

Good luck, construction will be picking up soon with the weather changing and lots of guys will need laborers. Go work for a carpenter, plumber or electrician if you can though. Don't go tend for a mason crew, they are usually pricks and the work totally sucks. Nothing but hauling mud and heavy material all day and getting cursed at even when you do shit right. I guess if you want to get in shape it's good though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Test your nerve on an I beam 30 floors up before you quit your current job.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I met an old one, he was 53.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you never see an old iron worker.

His real age was 35.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

His real age was 35.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His real age was 35.

I once asked this old looking bastard on a jobsite what his age was, I thought for sure he was 55-60, he worked like a much younger man though.

Fucking 39.

He looked like hell, accelerated aging from a life of labor.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Only you know the cut of your jib and what makes you happy, but dude I gotta say of all the careers on earth, you chose one of the roughest with one of the littlest payoffs for the wear and tear and risk.

I'd seriously, seriously, sit down and re-think this. Shit, you can drive truck and make what an iron worker makes, if you're just looking for a trade where you're not tied to a hospital roster. You're looking at the bulk of the wages being in the $50k range, that's not enough for what it'll take out of you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I once asked this old looking bastard on a jobsite what his age was, I thought for sure he was 55-60, he worked like a much younger man though.

Fucking 39.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

His real age was 35.

Fucking 39.

The drinking probably didn't help him either.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Listen to this man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Retired JIW here, don't do it.

Listen to this man.

Hate to say it, but OP probably wont.  Sounds like he's unhappy in his job and like so many before him, he is rationalizing a shitty decision.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His real age was 35.

Fucking 39.

He smoked hand rolled cigarettes all day, literally lit the new one with the almost burned out one, and cracked open a Milwaukees Best as soon as the day was over before heading home, I imagine by the empties in his car he drank substantially more than one per night.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Really close friends dad worked iron when he was young. He wised up in his 20s and went to college to be an engineer.

Its hard work OP, but if you work very hard you can make a good living at you. It's not something I would do.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Good advice here. keep your licenses up. its a risky move.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Good advice here. keep your licenses up. its a risky move.  
View Quote

yep, bad right shoulder, bad back, arthritis of the right hand, broken left hand, two knee replacements here all either exacerbated or caused by Ironwork.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true.  My dad did it for over 30 years.  Retired in his late 50's.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Tried ironwork, fuck them assholes! Went over to pipefitting and turned out as a Journeyman this past October, much better people.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Keep at it, OP.

There ain't no guarantees in life, no matter what you do. Obamacare is designed to take all the profit out of health care because making money isn't fair. Nursing will probably pay a little better over the next few years as nurses take on more responsibility (and liability) from doctors who get squeezed out of the field to maintain profitability, then the pay in nursing will go in the shitter eventually also as health care is further nationalized.

Construction trades' good pay won't hold out forever, either. Right now, the Cocksucker in Chief wants to ramrod "immigration reform" through to distract from his many scandalous failings. Strange thing is, the cockgobbling, shitsucking union motherfuckers are all for flooding the American construction workforce with foreigners who'll work for a pittance. Asshole piece of shit Republicans are even going along with it to repay their donors with cheap labor. All of America will follow Detroit when the unions import workers from out of the region, organize them, and strangle American businesses.

You know, don't you, that there are plenty of good paying, permanent, year-round ironworker jobs that don't require paying a glorified, politicized, capricious, employment agency?

Rant off, good luck.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think OP has lost his f'ing mind
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#41]
So I had a walk in interview with a framing/new home construction contractor today, and they offered me a position. I start on Monday, and as long as the first week goes well they'll give me a letter of intent and I'll sign up as a first year apprentice through the local carpenters union. I plan to take a night school welding course, and learn to tie rebar, so I can possibly get bumped up to second year apprentice if I decide to go with the Ironworkers next year. In the mean time I'm pretty excited about the Carpenters apprenticeship.
ETA- any advice on how to dress Monday? I'm planning on wearing Khaki Duluth Firehose pants, a white long sleeved cotton tee shirt, and steel toed work boots. Is this appropriate for a brand new Carpenter's Apprentice?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Good luck.  It is not an easy life.  You are going to be competing with mainly Mexicans who are some of the hardest workers I have observed.  10-12 hours days, and they do whatever they are told to because there are ten guys lined up that will take their job.  

At your age, not knowing anything, and with no experience you don't bring much to the table.  You will be at the bottom of the pile for a long, long time.

I've been in this field for over 20 years and lower and upper management for 15 of those.  It sounds like you've abandoned Nursing.  Too bad, a RN or PA makes a ton of money. I have struggled and sacrificed to achieve my current position, knowledge, and experience.  Nothing was given to me, I earned every bit.  Very few get to this level.

At the very least, learn how to read construction drawings, schedules, understand specifications, building codes, safety, environmental, etc.

Listen to you gut, if something doesn't feel right, it usually isn't.  It is not worth your life.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:32:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Question for the guys that tie rebar.  Do ya'll use the tie guns? I'm covering a medical building job for another engineer at the moment, and part of the job has a mass concrete (7' thick walls!) element that houses some kind of nuclear scanner. I was on site about a week ago, and the guys were using a gun that looked a little like a paslode nailer with a curved nose to tie the #8's in the walls. Each tie took about 2 seconds.

One of the cooler tools I have seen lately.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:06:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Expect to get your ass beat over being a nurse. They'll have next to 0 faith in you as a nurse and an older apprentice. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:14:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So I had a walk in interview with a framing/new home construction contractor today, and they offered me a position. I start on Monday, and as long as the first week goes well they'll give me a letter of intent and I'll sign up as a first year apprentice through the local carpenters union. I plan to take a night school welding course, and learn to tie rebar, so I can possibly get bumped up to second year apprentice if I decide to go with the Ironworkers next year. In the mean time I'm pretty excited about the Carpenters apprenticeship.
ETA- any advice on how to dress Monday? I'm planning on wearing Khaki Duluth Firehose pants, a white long sleeved cotton tee shirt, and steel toed work boots. Is this appropriate for a brand new Carpenter's Apprentice?
View Quote

Tuck your tie inside your shirt so it doesn't get caught on a nail.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:25:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, as long as you are wearing pants you should be fine. I would wear a short sleeve shirt under your long sleeve one though, things tend to warm up fast in framing, and as the new guy you will be carrying a lot of lumber.

Please go invest in a decent belt and bag, and don't get the pimped out super contractor version, just a good sturdy leather belt and a decent made leather or cordura bag.

I won't lie, you are going to feel awkward for awhile. Especially when a kid that can't even shave yet knows more than you do about it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:26:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Question for the guys that tie rebar.  Do ya'll use the tie guns? I'm covering a medical building job for another engineer at the moment, and part of the job has a mass concrete (7' thick walls!) element that houses some kind of nuclear scanner. I was on site about a week ago, and the guys were using a gun that looked a little like a paslode nailer with a curved nose to tie the #8's in the walls. Each tie took about 2 seconds.

One of the cooler tools I have seen lately.
View Quote

They are pretty cool, a crew I help sometimes has one, it really speeds shit up when you have thousands of feet to tie.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:34:56 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They all say that shit.  Especially in New Jersey...

I spent quite a large amount of time around Masons when I worked with the trades and they were mostly functional alcoholics.  Now I knew some very professional ones but there was always a common factor, bitching out Laborers (i.e. acting like a prima donna) and starting to drink the minute they got in their truck at the end of the shift.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#49]
OP I know you are probably burned out in the nursing field but is there any chance you would do travel nursing?  Average pay for RN in Texas was $40-42 a few years back for travelers.  

I worked as a machinist for a while and got layed off when industry started going to China around our area.  Went to school for machining originally and when I got layed off it was either drive 50+ miles one way or move to a job that would start me off at $12 bucks an hour.  Went to nursing school and have made decent money since.  I work nights which is the only real down side to it but it's a blessing because I don't have to put up with all the politics of day shift.  Matter of fact my first job as an LPN I was making what the guy that had been at the machine shop for 22 years was making then.  Went back and got my RN and now what I make in a year is what the shop foreman made in a year.  He had 20+ years in the machining field and was making top money for our area.  

Have you considered just getting into a different area of medical nursing?  There is a ton of stuff you can do.  If you're burned out I can completely understand.  I mean there's a certain pride felt with being a skilled tradesman I know from my experience.  But also no one understands how much shit you have to deal with being a nurse either on a daily basis when at work.

Good luck in the future job hunt, keep your head up and be ready to catch hell from the other guys.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:12:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

In St. Louis, union carpenters wear white pants.  Or white bibs.  

I think I am jumping ship, finally.  After I get my first real job paycheck, I might just  shit in a flat rate box and mail it to Terry Nelson.  He is the head of union carpenters in St. Louis
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top