Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

An apprentice earns $60,000 per year?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The soap opera drama bullshit on the job is something else.  

We had one journeyman carpenter secretly pour Kroil oil in an apprentice's coffee Thermos.  Journeyman got fired or "laid off".  Then like a month later the shitbag apprentice gets caught stealing a $20 pack of gloves on his way out the gate.  Brilliant!  Piss away say a $60,000 per year job over twenty dollars in glove

I took that as an eventual $60k/year. Maybe I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Was an iron worker for local out of KC in the late 80's. I assure you the things I'm reading in here are factual. It's a hard way of life. One thing someone had mentioned on the first page is knowing the BA. If you're not good friends with the guy that gives out the jobs you more than likely will sit on the bench in a down economy. It's very political.

They vote for BAs and if you vote for the guy who doesn't win then you're fucked. The infighting, debauchery and thuggery is very real. The work is hard and sometimes downright dangerous. If youre older I wouldn't even consider it.

One thing I always remember is when I would go to the hall, they had a billboard with all of the thank you cards from widows or injured ironworkers, and funeral announcements of dead iron workers. Most of us were crippled up or worse. It's called going in the hole, when you fall. It's not if, its when and how bad the accident will be. I hurt my back and got out of the trade. I fell a couple times, other than sprains and bruises i didnt bite it too bad considering. I know one guy who fell 5 stories and got up like nothing happened. Years later he fell 15 foot and went into a coma.

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had one journeyman carpenter secretly pour Kroil oil in an apprentice's coffee Thermos.  Journeyman got fired or "laid off".  Then like a month later the shitbag apprentice gets caught stealing a $20 pack of gloves on his way out the gate.  Brilliant!  Piss away say a $60,000 per year job over twenty dollars in glove

Current journeyman wage is about 72k per year(based on a 40 hour week). First year apprentices start at 60% of that, with a 5% increase every 6 months. So somewhere around the second half of year 2, an apprentice will make 60k + per year plus medical, pension, etc. A small portion of that goes toward union dues as well, and this is assuming the apprentice works 40 hrs/wk for the whole year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Was an iron worker for local out of KC in the late 80's. I assure you the things I'm reading in here are factual. It's a hard way of life. One thing someone had mentioned on the first page is knowing the BA. If you're not good friends with the guy that gives out the jobs you more than likely will sit on the bench in a down economy. It's very political.

They vote for BAs and if you vote for the guy who doesn't win then you're fucked. The infighting, debauchery and thuggery is very real. The work is hard and sometimes downright dangerous. If youre older I wouldn't even consider it.

One thing I always remember is when I would go to the hall, they had a billboard with all of the thank you cards from widows or injured ironworkers, and funeral announcements of dead iron workers. Most of us were crippled up or worse. It's called going in the hole, when you fall. It's not if, its when and how bad the accident will be. I hurt my back and got out of the trade. I fell a couple times, other than sprains and bruises i didnt bite it too bad considering. I know one guy who fell 5 stories and got up like nothing happened. Years later he fell 15 foot and went into a coma.

View Quote

Good points. I have no illusions that this is a 100% safe, risk free career, and I understand it will be extremely grueling work physically.  On the other hand, wouldn't you agree it has improved safety wise since the 80's? If I understand correctly, you guys didn't even tie off with a harness back then...
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Good points. I have no illusions that this is a 100% safe, risk free career, and I understand it will be extremely grueling work physically.  On the other hand, wouldn't you agree it has improved safety wise since the 80's? If I understand correctly, you guys didn't even tie off with a harness back then...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my understanding, fancy harnesses etc...We had just a rope to tie off, lol, the load inertia would probably break your back... We never tied off, didnt have time to do that. Nonetheless I'm most likely to fall walking iron with 50 lbs of welding lead and a belt with a bolt bag and tools that weigh another 40 lbs +.

We bought these special redwing boots with no heels on them. If you have a heel it slips off the beam it could possibly put you in the hole. Also you don't want laces and thread on the toe because the welding slag will burn it up. It was a redwing slip on boot, I don't recall the model, but you'll find out from the co workers what the best of this is and the best of that.

You can tell what a guy does in the construction trade alot of times by the boots he wears...
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the main points I was trying to make though is you might not always get work. Economy, union politics etc... Many iron workers worked 6 - 9 months of the year and drawn un employment the rest. Besides that impacting your wallet it may also impact your benefits including healthcare etc...

When economy is bad, sometimes you do what they call "boom out". Working in different venues, Where you travel the US like a damn Carney and stay in cheap motels and eat soup out of the can. My dad was an iron worker and that's how I got in. We lived like gypsies. Cooking with sterno in motel rooms... lol

Oh what fucked up memories.

Another anecdote,

I recall sitting in the job shack, with the other hands for our 15 min break, around a kerosene heater with snot dripping off the tip of my nose. everyone had their wet gloves propped up around the heater trying to dry them out. It was icy, rainy weather and everyone was fucking miserable. I was wondering if this is all my life will ever be and what kind of a mistake I had made not going to college. This is where all the gossip and trouble is made among the hands, lol. Those were the down times.

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]
It seems there were 3 kinds of iron workers.

1. Company hand who stayed working for a company and was rarely laid off. These guys were often chastised like blacks do to other blacks who excel in school. They were despised often times for being a sellout. I don't know the reasoning, its just the way it was.

2. Iron workers who were good friends with the BA, the business agent arranged and assigned work for projects that came through the hall. We would get laid off of a job after we finished it up and go into the hall. When I would walk in there may be hall sitters, people on the bench waiting for work. We would walk right past them into the back room and sent out on a new job. Those bench sitters maybe been sitting on the bench for 6 months, drinking their coffee, playing cards or what have you. That's the politics side of it I referenced in other posts.

3. Bench sitters, who sat in the hall waiting for jobs that never came to them. They may have a reputation as a bad hand, they may have voted for the guy who didnt win, they may just be victims of the economy and were showed no favoritism. They were lucky to work 3 - 4 months a year.

You either tie rods, or do structural. Structural is what I did. In the KC local, most blacks tied rods and most whites did structural, I'm not sure why that was but we were segregated that way. Truth be told, the rod tiers probably kept more busy with work.

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take the biggest job we had going in the area.  It was scheduled for 4 ten hour days ( or nights). Friday was 8 hours straight time.  Saturday was 8 hours of time and a half.  Sunday is always double time.  With the night shift differential for me as a journeyman carpenter put me right at 10K a month.  The lowest aporentice starts out at 50% scale.  So if I was making $120,000 a year as a JM, a first term apprentice would be making $60K.

I just so happen to have a paystub handy, so here is a very close in or zoomed in pic:

Just about every trade was topping out right at $30 to $35 per hour straight time.  Laborers might have been right at $25 or $27.  A lot of those guys were either on permits or they just bought their "book" outright.

EDIT:  anything over 8 hours during the weekdays or weeknights is time and a half too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Slight thread drift...remember this scene of Luke Skywalker:

That is what it is was like building hanging scaffold like these:

The patented scaffold systems go together like an erector set:

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:12:24 AM EDT
[#10]
That don't look bad at all. I would rather be there than in a boiler.
Lots of rope or a shitty load in.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I was an Ironworker for 10 years.  I miss the work,the challenges, the crew I worked with.  I don't miss the beating it put uponeth my body.

Good luck.  Unless you have a great crew and you are either experienced in welding, rigging, or learn exceptionally fast, you'll spend the first few years as a bolt bitch.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 3:16:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

1. Company hand who stayed working for a company and was rarely laid off. These guys were often chastised like blacks do to other blacks who excel in school. They were despised often times for being a sellout. I don't know the reasoning, its just the way it was.

2. Iron workers who were good friends with the BA, the business agent arranged and assigned work for projects that came through the hall. We would get laid off of a job after we finished it up and go into the hall. When I would walk in there may be hall sitters, people on the bench waiting for work. We would walk right past them into the back room and sent out on a new job. Those bench sitters maybe been sitting on the bench for 6 months, drinking their coffee, playing cards or what have you. That's the politics side of it I referenced in other posts.

3. Bench sitters, who sat in the hall waiting for jobs that never came to them. They may have a reputation as a bad hand, they may have voted for the guy who didnt win, they may just be victims of the economy and were showed no favoritism. They were lucky to work 3 - 4 months a year.

You either tie rods, or do structural. Structural is what I did. In the KC local, most blacks tied rods and most whites did structural, I'm not sure why that was but we were segregated that way. Truth be told, the rod tiers probably kept more busy with work.

It isn't much different out of the KC hall today or Dayton, OH, or Pittsburgh, or...albeit I've been out of the game for a bit.

You are 100% correct with your points 1, 2, and 3.  I called the first group the "Steady Eddies."  They always had a job, never had to sign the books, and the "true" union IW guys sometimes hated them or were very jealous of them depending on who it was.  The 2nd group seems to make up the majority of many union trades; the guys who are aligning themselves polticially just to get off the books.  I've seen it with Laborers, Bricklayers, Pipefitters/Steamfitters/etc., Sparkies, etc.  

The last group...well a lot of the bench sitters weren't just there riding the pine because they didn't vote the right way...lots of them had issues, were completely dangerous, and didn't work well with the first two groups.  Since we were an out of town contractor 95% of the time that is usually who the BA sent us..."nothing but my best men."  

OP there are some very good points of advice in this thread to help you along.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 3:28:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Man you should look at a different trade. My dad was a iron worker, he retired at 63, 6 years ago.    You know they wear a belt full of spud wrenches and bolt bags that most men couldn't wear all day let alone climb with.  I've seen my dad many days after work wearing shorts and the inside of his legs were black and blue from hanging on while swinging a 10lb beater, same with his forearms black and blue.   It's also a rough bunch of men, dad was still tangling with men much younger than him even through his late 50s,  he wouldn't take shit from anyone.    Rethink your choices unless your looking for a hard way to make a living. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember one of the first few days in apprentice school, they told us under no circumstances, are we to buy alcohol for the guys when we went to get lunch.

My first day on the job, it's 11am, I take the lunch orders, they give me the money and then they threw another $20 and said to grab a 30pk too.  I thought it over for about 2 seconds and came back with the beers.

Alcohol and drug use are/were rampant on the job. At least my crew would drink at least 3 beers at lunch, and most times more.  Some would drink all day.  Most would smoke pot.  Some did coke.  I never got mixed up with drinking on the job, but enjoyed hanging with the guys after work at the bar.  

My time as a Ironworker was fun.  I was an experienced welder to begin with.  After the first month, when my super realized I was the best welder on the crew, I was paid full JM wages and was pretty much welding all the time.  Connecting, I was good at since I was always in shape and sober, but after watching a few guys fall, and one die, my nerves were waning.  Looking back at my pay stubs, I think I averaged 32 hours a week over the course of my 10 years.  IIRC, our complete "package" was somewhere in the $90/hour range.

Good luck OP
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I just called local 396 and asked them about their "out of work list".  Basically, who is sitting on the bench.  The gal couldn't give me an exact number but she said they have been sitting at about 35% unemployment for at least 4 years now.

So one third are NOT working.

Their number is (314)647-3008 .

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#18]
go for ac work/ tin work

electrician is what i would shoot for. very good job and way safer than rebar/iron work

go for electrician. trust me way better work and more ability to work into your older years
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Truth be told, the rod tiers probably kept more busy with work.
View Quote

Word, less affected by weather, worked more days out of the year, less  chance of falling, but, their backs are usually bad, knees usually not much better.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just called local 396 and asked them about their "out of work list".  Basically, who is sitting on the bench.  The gal couldn't give me an exact number but she said they have been sitting at about 35% unemployment for at least 4 years now.

So one third are NOT working.

Their number is (314)647-3008 .

View Quote

Local #1 Chicago, (structural Ironwork began here in Chicago) has been running about the same as far as I hear. I've been out of the game for over twenty years but until a year ago you wouldn't see a tower  crane on the Chicago skyline to save your soul. This has been going on for at least 6 years.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Good luck OP !!! I went thru the EXACT same thing in 2010. I was over burrnt out in Nursing, physically sick of it. I love all these experts telling you to stay in such a great field  Granted you are going for an extreme shift I did something similiar. I was a nurse for 13 years, I could no longer deal w/the 600 lb pt's, the chronic infections of IV dope users, the overall violence of drunks attacking me and just have to take it. My back was shot, I was beat up, etc...I quit and  sat at home until 2013 healing up. AT 47 I did the unthinkable, decided to attend the local Criminal Justice academy and fight it out for jobs w/20 something mil vets, and tons of other experienced officers looking for very few openings w/the top agencies. I plowed ahead and and happy to say I am well into my new career that everyone and I mean everyone told me I would hate, wash out, never get hired etc...  Good luck and at least give it a shot, keep your RN lic active so you can always go back if need be.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As a former Ironworker apprentice local 21 I was 2 1/2 years through a 4 year apprentice had to leave the trade because of crushed foot (work related), some advice to offer would be is listen to your journeymen and do what they say DO NOT talk down to them, especially the President of the local. we had a kid in our apprenticeship class one night cursed out the President right in front of the class and they tacked 2 more years on his 4 year apprenticeship thats no bullshit there, you will take alot of shit from the journeymen but it is part of the ritual of turning out, TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF it is damn hard job and it will take its toll on your body because I see it in my father he is a retired IW he has had 2 knee replacements, torn Achilles heel tendon, carpel tunnel, broken foot and now he is facing back surgery, and I can see why, he is built like a damn gorilla and muscled everything, now a days heavy equipment is your friend take advantage of that.  Try to find your tools used  ask some journeymen IW's if they have any tools for sale usually they do and it cheaper than buying new try to stay away from the expensive make tools like AB (American Bridge) to me you are just paying tor the name, the one thing my dad told me as I was going through the apprenticeship learn the rebar and practice your rebar ties because there will be days that there is no structural to hang but there is always rod jobs to do especially during the winter months, the one thing nice about being apprentice you are guaranteed a job for the next 5 years, due to the number of hours you have to have in each field before you turn out plus it required by the International, and one more thing do not let the millwrights steal your crane on the job site, seen that happen on a job that I was on and one of the IW's come sliding down the iron 3 floors on a 10 story building got in his face and yelled him that was our crane not theirs and the millwright proceeded to tell him that everybody's crane thats when the IW grabbed him hauled his ass over to the edge of the building and threaten to throw him off the building 5 floors up, at the time I was on the ground next to a journeymen IW that was teaching me proper rigging technics and journeyman said things are getting exciting now then he started taking bets with other trades on the ground on how far out from the building he could throw the millwright and how many times he would bounce  some crazy shit back then.
View Quote

the last part of the post brought back old memories, I once watched my dad, never one with an even temper, hang a job superintendent out over the side of a three story building because they were having a very heated argument.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I've worked next to them a few times. It's a tough job.

Good luck OP!
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#24]
OP,  you're bat shit crazy.  Get a higher nursing degree and move up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#26]
A couple observations from a guy who set,  sheeted and roofed  steel commercial buildings, (none of the spooky skyscraper stuff), for a few years in the late Eighties, when I was around 26-29 years old.
Non-union, small company hiring local farm kids (mostly) and training them on-the-job. We usually worked 4 or five men per crew, depending on a lot of different factors.

The guys who turn out to be  good at that sort of thing are usually built physically stout/burly to begin with.
I'm tall and lean, and it always seemed to me that the shorter guys didn't have to work quite as hard at maintaining their balance when tightrope-walking a thirty-foot roof purlin from one truss to the next, fifty feet above the concrete.  
Maybe it's mostly because my knees were half-shot by then (from other poor "career choices"), but that was tough for me.

I understand that OSHA would freak out if that were done these days, but back then that's how we did it -no tie-offs, no safety harness. You just walked over there!
 I've seen a few guys do a one-arm hang catching ahold after falling off a Zee purlin, (very hard on the wrist!) before being pulled back up, but I was fortunate to have never had to witness an actual "landing."
However, I DID witness, and experienced, lots of cuts, scrapes, bruises, burns, sprains, broken bones, smashed fingers, etc. Frostbite and severe sunburn, too.
 Steel-it's usually either hot or cold, and it's ALWAYS hard, sharp and heavy!

I could take the heat and could work circles around most of the crew on the hottest summer days, but I hated the cold, and still do.
  I didn't have to deal much with the pill-poppers that everyone talks about these days, but a few of the guys I worked with had drinking problems to some extent.
They were weeded out pretty quickly by the bosses, who didn't have to answer to a union.

The three partners who started the business and led the crews were great employers and became lifelong friends, but I had to quit it after those few years and .
I realized by then, that I had started in that field about ten years too late, and that my body would never make it to retirement at the rate I was gradually wrecking it.

I still work in a related trade, (structural steel fabrication), but not out in the weather and up in the air.

Good luck whatever path you decide to take.
I'm not going to persuade or dissuade you toward that career path, but if you're truly burned out you've got to get off the one you're on and take a DIFFERENT path.
Just the way it is.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#27]
A tenant of mine was just hired by Union Pacific. Seems like a better option.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Go sheetmetal and get in the service side of it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#29]
What do you say to a guy with an IQ of 30?.......nice weld.

What is long and hard on an IW? ........third grade.

Good luck OP. Trades is an honest way to cut a living.

Always be thinking how you will get out the day you get in, and come to grips with the fact you will not leave the trade feeling as good as you did when you got in.......that's why we make the money.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I had some great times and a few bad times while in. About 20 years into it when anyone asked how many years I had I always told them " Long enough to know I don't want to do it anymore, but not long enough to retire"

I earned every ache and pain that I have. Would I do it again in a heart beat.

One  thing I always tried to do with the Apprentices is teach them as much as possible because they are paying for my Retirement now like I did for the older guys before me.

Never be afraid to take a one day job. Sometimes that call is to see who is hungry enough to take the call. I took jobs like that and it would be 5 years or more before I ever went back to the hall.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What in the furry fuck? There's an abundance of sissyness in here. Better start a pity party thread.

I started out welding and hanging iron in my 20s and was promoted to desk jobs within a few years. I languished in offices getting old and fat for a dozen years, then got back into steel erection after the age of 40. I'm a JIW on heavy industrial projects. Sure, we work hard, but god damn.

Take care of your body, don't take risks, embrace PPE, and you'll do all right if you like the work. You'll be sore in ways you didn't know you could be, but if you don't go out drinking with the boys every night, you'll be able to keep up because you'll be the only one with a good night's sleep and without a hangover. And if you can consistently piss clean, you'll be fucking money in the bank. Fucking everybody and his brother are on pills.

If you're a steady guy, you might make a better hand than a stupid, fearless kid if you're smart. You just got to find a way to make yourself more valuable than somebody who's stupidly fearless and trying to prove he's stronger than the other idiots. Those are the guys that get fucked up young. Learn to read those big sheets of paper and you'll be ahead of 95% of the stupid motherfuckers that call themselves ironworkers and can't find column C1 on the building but could by god climb it if he found it.

I met an ironworker who was in his fifties who was a good hand, shrewd and capable. He'd just got out of the pen after doing 17 years of a 15 year stretch. You'll be surrounded by hard-ass felons. And dirty inkies. Inkies everywhere. You might go all summer without stopping sweating, even at night you're so hot. In the winter you'll never feel your toes or fingers.

You'll be one fuckup away from certain death all day, every day. Many of them are out of your control. Like the crane operator's meth itch or the rigger's wife fucking your connecting buddy. Kind of like hospital drama, I guess, when you get right down to it. Believe me, you'll deal with a bunch of dirty assholes on a jobsite, too. I don't know nothing about no shitsucking rodbusters. I guess they work hard, but they fucking deserve it.

Put me a hundred feet up with a hood and a stinger and I'm happier than a pig in shit.

Real
American
Tradesman
View Quote

You Sir speak the truth! And you cracked me up too

I was in the Iron Workers Union for three years back in the '80's when it dried up hard.

I'm working in industrial maintenance/ construction now and I like it most days.

I get to work with boilers, refrigeration, high voltage, control equipment, etc... in food processing.

It's the Teamsters union so the benefits are good and the pay is not bad.

The best thing is every minute of everyday is different, never boring or redundant.

I will say I never figured I'd be doing what I'm doing twenty years ago, that's for sure.

Cheers

ILB
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#32]
There is a fourth group -  Boomers.  These guys run all over the country or all over the world doing the big jobs.  The ones I've run into make a lot of money - and are most always broke.  Living out of suitcase on the road is expensive - they spend a lot of time in bars and casinos because they're bored and there paychecks are gone before they get home for the night.

Like all trades / occupations there are a few that are smart and are smart with their money.  There are a lot of them though that make 60-70k a year and are flat broke driving a beater truck looking for an advance on their check.

In this economy I'd think it's going to be tough to get more than 1200- 1400 hours in as an apprentice unless you are very well thought of by someone.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I just spent all day breathing the filthy emissions from a mobile tamper, the ridiculous clouds of fine concrete dust from a demo saw my partner and I were using plenty, and the eye-burning gas/oil exhaust from same demo saw.  We actually wore the NIOSH cartridge respirators our foreman provided, plus ear and eye protection, and were the only two in the building who bothered.  At least the building was open on both ends, but very little breeze to move that shit along.

While I was trying to run underground pipe amidst this chaos and stench, I had a moment to ponder the 70 degree, climate-controlled conditions I used to work in.  Most days are much less unpleasant than this, but I'd think long and hard about what you're getting into.  Sounds like Iron work is much worse.  The people I work with generally are NOT on drugs or drinking- at least during the work day.  After the first year, once your sworn in, you can (and probably should) tell people to fuck off on occasion in this trade.

I made my switch at 39.  I did a stint in the Army as a medic working at BAMC, so I understand that patient care is no joke.  Sounds like people are about 80 pounds heavier on average than they were in the early nineties.  If you've had enough and want a new direction, which is perfectly understandable, try to balance all the factors.  As people have pointed out, there is a lot of educational/administrative possibility with your current skill set.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#34]
We were building the Silver Legacy in Reno and we had a shit ton of Boomers there. At one time we had 250 IronWorkers on the job.

These guys would get paid on Fri and Saturday morning they were borrowing money for the week. I told them they do not build Casinos by losing money. They all told me they had it figured out because they hit a Royal Flush last week.

I did the post tensioning on that job.

Structural hands are just Prima Donnas nothing special.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We were building the Silver Legacy in Reno and we had a shit ton of Boomers there. At one time we had 250 IronWorkers on the job.

These guys would get paid on Fri and Saturday morning they were borrowing money for the week. I told them they do not build Casinos by losing money. They all told me they had it figured out because they hit a Royal Flush last week.

I did the post tensioning on that job.
View Quote

Tradesmen are bad like that.

I worked with a guy that did the same thing. I picked him each morning and dropped him of each night. Get paid Friday night and Monday morning had no lunch and was buying cigarettes with change.

The more he made in a week the bigger the party was that weekend.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#36]
An Ironworker dies and goes to heaven, when he gets there he is confronted by St. Peter. St Peter refuses him entrance.

"Hey, Pete why the Hell can't I come in?"

"Son we already have a crew of five here and they won't leave, in the past month they've drunk up everything they could find, molested  the female angels, they piss  on the walls, they swear all the time, they are always fist fighting,  they smoke too much, and they continually use the Master's name in vain."

The Ironworker tells St Peter, "Don't worry Pete, I'll get rid of them. If I can, will you let me stay?"

St. Pete says, "Yes my son, you may stay if you can convince them to move on."

The Ironworker goes over and talks with them for a few minutes, pretty soon all the other Ironworkers pack up their equipment and leave.
A week later, the one remaining Ironworker is packing up and getting ready to leave.

St Peter approaches him and asks him why is he leaving.

"The Ironworker responds, you know it is kinda boring up here, everyone is so nice, there hasn't been a fight since I've been up here, you don't serve my brand of beer, and everyone complains when I fart."

"Son, you're welcome to stay, but if you have made your decision we can't stop you. But I must know what you told the others to get rid of them."

" Well Pete, I just told them that they were working six 10's down in Hell. Must be true, because they haven't been back."

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Somebody mentioned the shitters. Porta-pooter art from a job last year:

I think this guy probably posted earlier in this thread that you shouldn't be an ironworker:

This jewel was about 70' up on a column. WTF
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I think you need at least 3 drunk drivings to be an ironworker.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#40]
How I got 15 ironworkers fired.

We were doing these domes for this waste water treatment plant. The domes go over the top of these large round precast towers that house this plastic honeycomb... Maybe you have seen them.

Anyways, there are these 2 brothers who are the supers.. Rusty and crusty we called the other brother crusty, it rhymed with rusty. Red heads, hard working motherfuckers, and there in lies the issue, they were doing the work of 2 men and they weren't supposed to work, if they need to do that they should call the hall and get a couple of new hands. Union politics.

So all of the hands on the job were pissed at these guys. So I was just funning around and told Rusty, if these ol' boys invite you out for drinks one night, don't go, they are going to take you out and fuck you in the ass. Well, he says thanks for the heads up. Then I'm over here working with some of the guys and I come up with this brilliant plan. I told the other hands what I had told Rusty and then suggested that maybe they should go ask Rusty out for a few beers... lol,

We all got phone calls that night after work to come into the hall in the morning instead of showing up on the job. So that's how I got 15 ironworkers fired at once....
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Apprenticeship is 5 years now? When I went it was only 3. Are you going into a mixed Local. Structural is easier than the Rod Patch. If you go Structural learn to Weld, being up high is not as dangerous as it used to be since all of the safety requirements. When I started there was no tying off and God help you if you were caught cooning the Iron.
I was a Rod Buster for over 30 years and if you go that route you will find out GOD fucking hates you. The first two weeks every muscle in your body will fucking hate you. But remember this you are not the only one that will or has been through it and you will survive.

If you get into the Rod Patch learn to tie the faster the better. If you can take some 6 footers home and make a wall out of them at 6" on center and practice tying one roll of wire a night.

Can't is not in an IronWorkers vocabulary.

My Book# 11299XX

It's said that when IronWorkers show up on a job it is like the Marines have landed.

Good Luck work hard and you will make it
View Quote

From your mouth to gods ears, those gentlemen get shit done.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How I got 15 ironworkers fired.

We were doing these domes for this waste water treatment plant. The domes go over the top of these large round precast towers that house this plastic honeycomb... Maybe you have seen them.

Anyways, there are these 2 brothers who are the supers.. Rusty and crusty we called the other brother crusty, it rhymed with rusty. Red heads, hard working motherfuckers, and there in lies the issue, they were doing the work of 2 men and they weren't supposed to work, if they need to do that they should call the hall and get a couple of new hands. Union politics.

So all of the hands on the job were pissed at these guys. So I was just funning around and told Rusty, if these ol' boys invite you out for drinks one night, don't go, they are going to take you out and fuck you in the ass. Well, he says thanks for the heads up. Then I'm over here working with some of the guys and I come up with this brilliant plan. I told the other hands what I had told Rusty and then suggested that maybe they should go ask Rusty out for a few beers... lol,

We all got phone calls that night after work to come into the hall in the morning instead of showing up on the job. So that's how I got 15 ironworkers fired at once....
View Quote

I don't get it.

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Its a great job....here is my dad in 1969.  He 78 now.  Notice the safety gear

Btw he is one of the finest craftsman Ive ever met.  He retired in his 50s.  Owns a million dollar + house on the coast of maine that he built on land he bought in the late 80s.    3 acres with 12' of water for 90k, yah on the coast of maine.  He built the house himself at the age of 65.  A self made man. He has sailed round cape horn in a 50' at 72 years old.  I'm awful proud of him.  The only people from boston local maine lobsterman would take on and count as a friend, is an iron worker.  Trust me.  They are kindred spirits.  It also did not hurt that he saw a bunch of lobstermen constructing a huge warehouse for their winter storage...for the boats that do get stored for the winter...my dad offered to weld and assemble all the bar joists for nothing.  So at 70+ years he is up there on the beams doing the welding and riveting at NO cost to the fisherman  They a lot a like and they are a rare breed.  He has seen guys fall and fell once himself but his belt caught on a beam and saved him.

The work is extremely well paying

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's said that when IronWorkers show up on a job it is like the Marines have landed.

Lol, "Gentlemen"? You're being too kind. But thank you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had my pre apprentice orientation last Thursday night. One hopeful applicant raised his hand and asked " will a felony conviction prevent me from joining the union?"  The apprenticeship coordinator answered, "No, a felony conviction used to be a fucking pre-requisite to sign up".

The meeting went very well overall, and I'm excited to get started in the program. There are 30-40 apprentice openings for 150 applicants, and I'm pretty confident I'll get one of the slots. Thanks to all you guys who offered advice and tips. I'll post an update when I find out if I get accepted, in the mean time please feel free to keep the comments coming.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Good luck

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 2:19:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I had my pre apprentice orientation last Thursday night. One hopeful applicant raised his hand and asked " will a felony conviction prevent me from joining the union?"  The apprenticeship coordinator answered, "No, a felony conviction used to be a fucking pre-requisite to sign up".

The meeting went very well overall, and I'm excited to get started in the program. There are 30-40 apprentice openings for 150 applicants, and I'm pretty confident I'll get one of the slots. Thanks to all you guys who offered advice and tips. I'll post an update when I find out if I get accepted, in the mean time please feel free to keep the comments coming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.  Iron workers stink to high heaven, but at least they aren't masons.lol

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:04:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good luck.  Iron workers stink to high heaven, but at least they aren't masons.lol  
View Quote

Hey now
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Hey now
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey now
I take it you are grumpy, or you are grumpy and you stink.  So which one are you, Mason or ironworker?  Lol jk

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#50]
The erectors always get the glory.

Dad was a rod-buster. Structural reinforcing. All his pretty rebar work is out of view, but we're all glad it's there.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top