Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

HG Wells & Jules Verne are tops in the field (though I don't think they considered it 'steampunk' at the time).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the idea of Steampunk but think the fiction I have read is poor so far. Any good suggestions.

HG Wells & Jules Verne are tops in the field (though I don't think they considered it 'steampunk' at the time).

They were science fiction writers before it was defined, and simply described things in the style of the period. Verne was inspired by a trip on the Great Eastern, a 700 foot long iron steamship outfitted with palatial and overdone Victorian interiors.

Neither of them described pointless ornamentation added to functional devices.

For some reason, American schools never teach that this thing existed in 1858, they only mention the Monitor and the Merrimack. It's where Verne got a lot of his ideas.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wow
You guys really don't like girls posting....steam punk is Fun and yes I do like it and yes it's a cross of Goth meets brown...and yes I do use parts left over from a mod.  Oh and one other ....thanks for asking if there is a gas leak in my basement and that would be a no.  I find Victorian Era very tasteful but yet on the cusp of Industrial of revolution.  
See my beginning post and Read It

LD  
View Quote

Point the First: The more you profess to be a "girl" the less anyone will believe you.

Point the Second: Strive for coherence.

Point the Third: No one can understand your beginning post because it is the product of dyslexia, or illiteracy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How did punk rock go so wrong??

Ugh.
View Quote
Has nothing to do with punk rock.

Term is derived from 'cyber-punk' as a genre of science fiction. Think Jules Verne type tech from contemporary writers.

'The Difference Engine' is probably the best example.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Not crazy about steampunk. They look like Borg dressed up in their best Sunday go to meetin' clothes.

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Steampunk rayguns are dildos...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I loathe steampunk style. I hate it. I don't know why. I hate it and you should hate it too. STEEEEEEAM RAY GUNS LOL DOOOOOD!

Steampunk rayguns are dildos...

You're just saying that because you've seen Lady Clankington's Infernal Devices, is all.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#7]
In before the inevitable lock and/or move to BOTD.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:12:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only rule is more Kato.
View Quote

Yes

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Very cool book in this genre:

Always been disappointed he didn't make it a series.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll take SteamPunk culture and style or whatever you want to call it over hip-hop thug style with their underwear showing any day.

View Quote

I reject both.

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I just Wish you weirdos Would Quit buying all The cool old Mechanical watches And tearing them Apart to glue The gears onto your dress-Up gowns and Nerf guns.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I reject both.  Get both!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll take SteamPunk culture and style or whatever you want to call it over hip-hop thug style with their underwear showing any day.

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Steampunk is, first and foremost a genre. It's a story, not a style.....Of course, the most imaginative aesthetics come from the most fantastic universes, so where are Yours Coming From? You don't need a back story, you don't need a separate identity, you just Need to Understand why you're Looking the Way you Do. The answer may be as complex or as simple as

"Because I'm a Space Pirate".

Need I say more....

LD  

I love the AR....they get me!!!
And I do own many various hardware and knives....a collector of all.  So no basement dweller here.

LD

View Quote

Snowleopard...is that you?
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just Wish you weirdos Would Quit buying all The cool old Mechanical watches And tearing them Apart to glue The gears onto your dress-Up gowns and Nerf guns.
View Quote

Or for those that won't stop, please use cheap new Chinese mechanical watches.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.dreamandhustle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/3amigos.jpghttp://chroniclesofharriet.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/track-5.jpg%3Fw%3D300%26h%3D275

That's still only 'get one'.

Although now I'm curious as to what a hip-hop/steampunk fusion would look like.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#20]
This thread needs LESS BRASS MORE ASS
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Ibt Steampunk fleshlight
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ibt Steampunk fleshlight
View Quote

If you got it,..post it!
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Merrimack and Monitor were noted for being the first iron clad fighint vessels, not the first steam powered ships.  Americans had been using steam to power ships since 1809, and the Europeans as far back as the 18th century.

Agreed that Verne & Wells were 'Sci Fi' writers, but given their time period (and descriptions) we would call that 'Steampunk' by today's standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the idea of Steampunk but think the fiction I have read is poor so far. Any good suggestions.

They were science fiction writers before it was defined, and simply described things in the style of the period. Verne was inspired by a trip on the Great Eastern, a 700 foot long iron steamship outfitted with palatial and overdone Victorian interiors.

Neither of them described pointless ornamentation added to functional devices.

http://g.diena.lt/02/85/244887.jpg

For some reason, American schools never teach that this thing existed in 1858, they only mention the Monitor and the Merrimack. It's where Verne got a lot of his ideas.

The Merrimack and Monitor were noted for being the first iron clad fighint vessels, not the first steam powered ships.  Americans had been using steam to power ships since 1809, and the Europeans as far back as the 18th century.

Agreed that Verne & Wells were 'Sci Fi' writers, but given their time period (and descriptions) we would call that 'Steampunk' by today's standards.

Wasn't just steam powered, she was 700 feet of solid riveted iron, no wood whatsoever. Ironclad is pretty weak compared to that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I was never one for anime or comics or anything. But I think steampunk is cool as shit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#28]
It smells like burnt toast in here.

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You would have to ransack Big Ben to get gears big enough for the one on the left.

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Biggest rule I've seen?

If it's old, hack it up and glue stuff on it. Don't bother to check if it's an irreplaceable antique, first.

I've seen everything from an 1870's Hoyt lamp with holes drilled in it, vacuum tubes and shit glued on it to a real Colt revolving carbine someone's grandfather left them hacksawed into a "ray gun".

At least the bronies and others are just weird basement-dwellers. Steampunk nerds actively destroy antiques and firearms.

View Quote
This is true.

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This thread needs LESS BRASS MORE ASS
View Quote

Does this work?

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Keeps the bugs out of your eyes whilst zeppelining about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do they all have goggles?

Keeps the bugs out of your eyes whilst zeppelining about.

lol

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Can't find the pictures of a friend in the Steampunk corset she made (with actual ratcheting mechanism to tighten it), but here's a picture of a Steampunk AK made by the author Michael Z. Williamson (a member here):

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Can't find the pictures of a friend in the Steampunk corset she made (with actual ratcheting mechanism to tighten it), but here's a picture of a Steampunk AK made by the author Michael Z. Williamson (a member here):

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh119/mzmadmike/guns/AKSteamK.jpg
View Quote

Strangely, on an AK, that doesn't look too out of place....

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#35]
A revolver like a Webley is more steampunk than a ray gun.

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Something like a Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver.?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A revolver like a Webley is more steampunk than a ray gun.

Something like a Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver.?

I prefer the LeMat

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Mal's gun from Firefly

Seems kinda steampunky to me.

eta Vera

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.dreamandhustle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/3amigos.jpghttp://chroniclesofharriet.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/track-5.jpg%3Fw%3D300%26h%3D275

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#40]
We already have a Steampunk pics thread running on 8 pages
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1392682_Steampunk__56k_should_avoid_this_thread_like_the_Hindenburg_.html&page=1

http://www.gdfalksen.com/post/20357409792/steampunk
Steampunk 101 by G. D. Falksen
What is steampunk?

In three short words, steampunk is Victorian science fiction. Here “Victorian” is not meant to indicate a specific culture, but rather references a time period and an aesthetic: the industrialized 19th century. Historically, this period saw the development of many key aspects of the modern world (mechanized manufacturing, extensive urbanization, telecommunications, office life and mass-transit), and steampunk uses this existing technology and structure to imagine an even more advanced 19th century, often complete with Victorian-inspired wonders like steam-powered aircraft and mechanical computers.

Where did steampunk come from?

In some sense, steampunk has existed since the 19th century. The Victorian period had its own science fiction, perhaps most famously embodied by the works of Jules Verne and H. G. Wells, and throughout the 20th century there have been later-day science fiction stories set in the Victorian period. However, the term “steampunk” was not coined until the late 1980s, when author K. W. Jeter used it humorously to describe a grouping of stories set in the Victorian period written during a time when near-future cyberpunk was the prevailing form of science fiction.

Where does the sci-fi come in?

The line between steampunk and period Victorian is extremely narrow, and often the two are indistinguishable. They are separated only by steampunk’s status as science fiction, albeit heavily inspired by the historical fact of the Victorian period. This is generally accomplished in one of two ways. The “proto-steampunk” stories of the 19th century can be seen as a parallel to our own science fiction; that is, a view of the future from the present. For the Victorians, this meant imagining a future that looks dramatically un-modern to modern eyes. Submarines, space travel, aircraft and mechanized life were all imagined by the Victorians, but while some of these came very close to the mark they still differed from where the future actually went. For modern writers, with the benefit of modern science, steampunk becomes a re-imagining of the 19th century with a view of where science will one day go. In this way, steampunk often works to translate modern concepts such as the computer revolution, spy thrillers, noir mysteries and even the Internet into a Victorian context using Victorian technology. Steampunk becomes the perfect blending of alternate history and science fiction.

Where does the steam come in?

Steampunk’s steam references more than simply the technology itself, although steam engines are a vital aspect of life in a steampunk world. Steam more generally signifies a world in which steam technology is both dominant and prolific. During the Victorian era, steam power revolutionized almost every aspect of life. The steam engine made full-scale industrialization possible and produced mechanical power more efficiently and to greater degrees than human and animal labor could manage on their own. Mechanized manufacturing and farming caused an upheaval in the structure of working life, but they dramatically increased society’s productivity and freed up an entire section of society to form the modern class of professionals and office workers. The changes in society brought on by steam-driven industrialization allowed for the unprecedented developments in sciences, society and goods that came to be associated with the Victorian era. Steampunk takes inspiration from these changes and applies them to whatever culture it influences.

Where does the punk come in?

Ironically, it doesn’t. As was mentioned earlier, the term “steampunk” is a tongue in cheek reference to the cyberpunk genre rather than a reference to the punk subculture. Moreover, “punk” in the context of punk rock was the product of very specific circumstances following the Second World War, which makes it fundamentally distinct from the Victorian aesthetic that inspires steampunk. However, individuals interested in exploring a steampunk equivalent to 20th century punk can find a wealth of material in 19th century counterculture groups ranging from the Luddites to utopians to hooligans. Add a dash of Victorian street culture and a sprinkling of ragtime, and steampunk “punk” comes into focus.

What about gears?

The gear is an easily recognized symbol of steampunk, but it is not unique to the genre. It was invented long before the 19th century and it remains in use today. The gear in steampunk joins related devices such as flywheels and pistons as the “power lines” of the steam age. Steam power is mechanical power and its transmission demands a network of moving parts in the same way that electrical power transmission demands wires. The gear on its own is not especially “steampunk” but when put to use in 19th century machinery it becomes a key icon of the genre.

What about goggles?

Goggles are often encountered in steampunk clothing and imagery, and this can create the misleading impression that they are somehow fundamental to the “steampunk look.” Certainly, goggles are associated with both science and mechanized travel, both of which are common themes in steampunk. However, this does not mean that everyone in a steampunk setting wears goggles; in fact, only people who have a reason to wear them do so, and then only while it is useful. As with scarves, driving coats, aprons and overalls, goggles are a piece of fashion that can help give life to a steampunk world when used properly and in moderation, but can rapidly border upon the ludicrous when turned into an end rather than a means.

What is the appeal of steampunk?

A genre as large as steampunk has a wide-ranging appeal. Some people are drawn to it from a love of the Victorian period. Others enjoy steampunk’s unique approach to technology: re-imagining modern capabilities with 19th century machines. Many people are drawn to it in light of its fashion aspects, which allow them to sample and even combine a range of clothing styles and accessories from across the 19th century world. One critical aspect of steampunk is the tremendous diversity of appeal it presents, which allows it to offer something for just about everyone. Steampunk is also aided by a more general neo-vintage movement, which has been steadily progressing through mainstream fashion, film and aesthetics, but even this cannot wholly explain steampunk’s appeal. The genre possesses a life of its own that draws in fans from countless directions and backgrounds into a world where fashion is tailored to the individual, goods are made to last, and machinery is still regarded as a thing of visual majesty.

Steampunk sounds great! Where’s an easy place to start?

The basic rule of thumb for steampunk is “start period and then add.” One of steampunk’s great advantages is that the period it is inspired by, the Victorian era, saw the invention of photography and cinematic film. These in turn allowed for a visual record of people from all different classes, cultures and backgrounds, providing an unprecedented amount of reference material. People looking for fashion ideas, character inspirations or scenes to describe can find a wealth of starting points in the countless vintage photographs and film reels left over from the 19th century. All that remains is to add to or modify the depictions to taste, though it must be remembered that many aspects of a steampunk world and its people will likely remain virtually indistinguishable from the period that inspires them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey....what I'm talking about.....Disco......

LD  

But for all the others who think I am a male.....mines bigger...

And no this is Not SnowLeopard

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Op, if you were to give a direct quote from something like a TV show, how would you type it?
Bonus points for vague intelligentsia allusions.

Daniel
View Quote

I would cap the words I wanted emphasized......

LD  

And yees again I am a lady....just bored with AR's have all I need.....thought this would be fun but all you bottom basement dwellers have to come along and muck it all up for us girls.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh119/mzmadmike/guns/AKSteamK.jpg
View Quote

Here is the post of him building it

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#46]

You, not so much.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#47]

I really like the genre. Great art and creativity.

One of my favorite music vids. "Eye of the Storm" by Lovett.

Haunting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1mX8ptsmBM

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#48]

I've always thought this pic was hawt!
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I really like the genre. Great art and creativity.

One of my favorite music vids. "Eye of the Storm" by Lovett.

Haunting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1mX8ptsmBM

View Quote

Pretty cool to see how they created the video:

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top