Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/11/2014 9:56:56 AM EDT
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/time-let-convicted-felons-vote-holder-says-n26906
Not sure how I feel about this one.  Personally I've always thought that it's bs how even after serving their time people are denied their rights.  If they're truly rehabilitated they should get their voting and 2A rights back after a few years of good behavior.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
They all die sometime, which means they' be voting for Democrats in Cook County eventually.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

edit why do you think Holder is in favor of this?
View Quote

They want to scavenge every reliable vote possible.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can I answer?

TRG
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

So he and Obama can vote after they leave prison?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I tend to agree. Do the time then get on with life. As it is we make it impossible for a felon to lead a productive life after prison. Or pretty dang close to impossible.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#9]
It's been a while since I have read anything on it, but I believe in all but a couple of states you get your right to vote back after you complete your sentence to include any parole or probation.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe the right answer is to stop making so many things felonies.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#11]
lol
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I think non-violent felons never should have lost their right to vote or own firearms in the first place.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#13]
They can even commit felonies at the polling places- Holder's fine with it as long as they look like him.

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Holder called the laws a vestige of post-Civil War racial discrimination, with a disproportionately high impact on minority communities.
View Quote

This is an attempt to increase the number of likely democratic voters.  Nothing more.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I tend to agree. Do the time then get on with life. As it is we make it impossible for a felon to lead a productive life after prison. Or pretty dang close to impossible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Your statement indcates that felons want to move on. Stats say otherwise.

During 2007, a total of 1,180,469 persons on parole were at-risk of reincarceration.  This includes persons under parole supervision on January 1 or those entering parole during the year. Of these parolees, about 16% were returned to incarceration in 2007.

Among nearly 300,000 prisoners released in 15 states in 1994, 67.5% were rearrested within 3 years. A study of prisoners released in 1983 estimated 62.5%.

Of the 272,111 persons released from prisons in 15 states in 1994, an estimated 67.5% were rearrested for a felony or serious misdemeanor within 3 years, 46.9% were reconvicted, and 25.4% resentenced to prison for a new crime.

These offenders had accumulated 4.1 million arrest charges before their most recent imprisonment and another 744,000 charges within 3 years of release.

Released prisoners with the highest rearrest rates were robbers (70.2%), burglars (74.0%), larcenists (74.6%), motor vehicle thieves (78.8%), those in prison for possessing or selling stolen property (77.4%), and those in prison for possessing, using, or selling illegal weapons (70.2%).

Within 3 years, 2.5% of released rapists were arrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for homicide
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would agree if they gave them all their rights back.  I do not believe in giving partial rights back.  Either you have earned all of your rights back or none at all.

People who are denied certain rights but can vote have a tendency to support legislation that curbs other rights since they themselves are denied those rights.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#17]
The left just wants it more.   They got the winning mindset.

Look at F&F?   Holder's still in charge.

Patriots can pack a gun registration/confiscation line, and never miss a Honey BooBoo episode, but to demonstrate, take the issues outside of "voting for the same politicans, just with an R next to their name, is far beyond the capability of the American Patriot in 2014.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#18]
From a philosophical stand point, if a Felon has served their time then all of their rights should be restored.

If a criminal is so dangerous that they can not be trusted upon release then they either need to be executed for their crimes or held in prison for the rest of their lives. However, in the imperfect real world the justice system is a mess and plenty of criminals who should have been executed or given life are released early and commit more crimes.

Perhaps the compromise would be to have a path for felons to have all rights restore give certain conditions and time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://cdn.pjmedia.com/files/2012/06/eric_holder_race_card_big-6-6-12.jpg

This is an attempt to increase the number of likely democratic voters.  Nothing more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Holder called the laws a vestige of post-Civil War racial discrimination, with a disproportionately high impact on minority communities.

The denial of the franchise to felons pre-dates the civil war, IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Stats indicate we should be hanging people for armed robbery, since we lack the balls to do so we're stuck with a half-assed system but I would rather my half be as large as possible- no sympathy for the felons and too bad.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you know why i don't commit felonies?  Because i want to keep my rights until the day i die.   Others apparently don't care about their rights, and that is their problem.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#22]
fuck eric holder but he's not wrong
If you're back in society, you should be able to vote and own firearms etc.
We can't 'partially' trust people

ETA: also, stop making almost everything a felony but make the punishments for actual felonies much more hard. And execute a lot more people, quickly, and efficiently.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#24]
FEH
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I have no sympathy for felons or people who need their votes to win.

Fuck them.  All of them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#26]
there really has to be some punishment for becoming a felon.

losing voting rights for life is a great start.

want to vote, how about not breaking the law.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You actually had to rape, rob, or murder someone back then though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stealing chickens was a felony when the Bill of Rights was adopted.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Why isn't this jizz dribbling cock stain in prison over Fast & Furious?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget arson!  The original felonies were murder, robbery, rape, arson and rape.  Yes, I said rape twice.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do you know why i don't commit felonies?  
View Quote

The odds are pretty damn good you do commit them regularly.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#32]
GOP should tie in gun rights as well.

All or none.

They need to learn to play the game better and make the dims the party of no.

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#34]
If he's for it, I'm agen' it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

He wants to set his people free?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Wouldn't that normally also bring with it eligibility to sit on juries since the pool is generally drawn from voter register rolls?  Defendants would probably love felon jurors...
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmmm...good question.

Why would Eric "My People" Holder be in favor of convicted felons having the vote?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#38]
They should have all their rights restored.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#39]
I think (law knowledge based on watching JAG) that if you are a convicted felon, you can petition to have certain rights restored.

However, if you blanket approve restoring voting rights to felons after they're released, how long before some bleeding heart says that we're "oppressing them" by not letting the felons vote while still in jail?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#40]
He can do anything he wants.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Eric Holder has never been one to let something as trivial as fact get in the way of saying shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eric Holder has never been one to let something as trivial as fact get in the way of saying shit.

Man, I've been here long enough to remember when you would have written "sh*t" instead of shit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just what I was thinking.  Prime example: felony speeding.  Really?  Speeding?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

During 2007, a total of 1,180,469 persons on parole were at-risk of reincarceration.  This includes persons under parole supervision on January 1 or those entering parole during the year. Of these parolees, about 16% were returned to incarceration in 2007.

Among nearly 300,000 prisoners released in 15 states in 1994, 67.5% were rearrested within 3 years. A study of prisoners released in 1983 estimated 62.5%.

Of the 272,111 persons released from prisons in 15 states in 1994, an estimated 67.5% were rearrested for a felony or serious misdemeanor within 3 years, 46.9% were reconvicted, and 25.4% resentenced to prison for a new crime.

These offenders had accumulated 4.1 million arrest charges before their most recent imprisonment and another 744,000 charges within 3 years of release.

Released prisoners with the highest rearrest rates were robbers (70.2%), burglars (74.0%), larcenists (74.6%), motor vehicle thieves (78.8%), those in prison for possessing or selling stolen property (77.4%), and those in prison for possessing, using, or selling illegal weapons (70.2%).

Within 3 years, 2.5% of released rapists were arrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for homicide

Those stats are based on the current system of denied rights after release. They don't mean anything in this context.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I can see why he'd have sympathy for crooks, he knows what it is like to be one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My filter is clogged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man, I've been here long enough to remember when you would have written "sh*t" instead of shit.

My filter is clogged.

Its okay, get it all out. If you've got hate in your heart let it out!
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Just what I was thinking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just what I was thinking.
They don't want to release felons that would vote for the other party, though.  All politics are about votes.  Drug related felonies? "Let my people go".  NFA busted you for having the wrong length barrel? "Nazi needs to die in prison".

Get what I'm sayin?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's been a while since I have read anything on it, but I believe in all but a couple of states you get your right to vote back after you complete your sentence to include any parole or probation.
View Quote

The Montana constitution restores all rights after completing your time including parole and/or probation as long as it is not violent crimes or there were no disability's imposed at sentencing and it is a state level crime and you don't have any felony convictions in any other state.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I would actually just reform the laws so everything under the sun wasn't a felony...
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BAM ^^this
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top