Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Letting them shoot .22 is da ghey

Give them .308 and make it challenging.
View Quote

The original biathlons were done at 200 and 400 yards with military bolt guns with military ammo.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Aguila target, and some higher end manufacturers of precision .22 ammo.

It's actually amazing how accurate Winchester Standard Velocity is.  As long as the bullet doesn't push the transonic barrier, even relatively low cost ammo punches a single hole at 50yds from a good rifle off a bench rest.    

Since  Air rifles and .22LR is all the Europeans are allowed, they grow up with them and have built some incredibly crazy accurate rifles.  The Hammerli airguns with electronic triggers are awesome to shoot, but very far from "affordable".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i was just googling on more info on those rifles - are they .22 handloads? etc

Can you even hand load .22? Seems like a royal pita

It's actually amazing how accurate Winchester Standard Velocity is.  As long as the bullet doesn't push the transonic barrier, even relatively low cost ammo punches a single hole at 50yds from a good rifle off a bench rest.    

Since  Air rifles and .22LR is all the Europeans are allowed, they grow up with them and have built some incredibly crazy accurate rifles.  The Hammerli airguns with electronic triggers are awesome to shoot, but very far from "affordable".

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Damn, I'd give them a solid 10 for that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd laugh if the US team showed up looking like operators and raped everything with mag dumps
Damn, I'd give them a solid 10 for that.

Can Jerry Miculek ski? It would be worth watching just for him giggling after smoking all the targets in .87 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's because most have never had the heart rate above 80 let alone try to shoot with it at 140
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IN before the GD mouth breathers that think Biathlon is gay and not a real sport.  I remember that from the last Winter Olympics

That's because most have never had the heart rate above 80 let alone try to shoot with it at 140

I'd wager the average GD member's resting heart rate is above 80
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sorry, it was a generalization compared to what free states have in the US.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i was just googling on more info on those rifles - are they .22 handloads? etc

Can you even hand load .22? Seems like a royal pita

I can't think of a single European country with that kind of restrictions.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
My cousin does biathlon but didn't qualify.
Her gun has the most uncomfortable butt ever.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My cousin does biathlon but didn't qualify.
Her gun has the most uncomfortable butt ever.
View Quote
Pic of said butt please, thnx.

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I was also impressed by how close the whole match was too. From Gold to Silver was less than 6 seconds after a near 25 minute event. And the poor Russian guy in 4th was just .7 second from a medal in front of the home town crowd.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was also impressed by how close the whole match was too. From Gold to Silver was less than 6 seconds after a near 25 minute event. And the poor Russian guy in 4th was just .7 second from a medal in front of the home town crowd.
View Quote

Real racing.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IN before the GD mouth breathers that think Biathlon is gay and not a real sport.  I remember that from the last Winter Olympics

No, their heart rate is always over 80bpm, their resting heart rate is probably close to 100bpm
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#13]

That's fucking hilarious!

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 3:56:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The whole thread is full of the usual derp about any shooting sport besides dirt clods at 15 yards with AR's.

The US can't even get a decent summer biathlon matches going, although with the recent interest in extreme endurance racing maybe it has a chance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole thread is full of the usual derp about any shooting sport besides dirt clods at 15 yards with AR's.

The US can't even get a decent summer biathlon matches going, although with the recent interest in extreme endurance racing maybe it has a chance.

That doesn't sound as nearly as fun as skiing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get a Russian EAA Biathlon Basic 7-2 KO made by Izhmash.  A pretty slick toggle action, bedded match barrel with a serious crown, and a decent trigger. The stock however is typical Russian quality but not too bad. I got mine for $400 about 8 years ago and its a fantastic shooter.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some crazy ass rifles.

Just looked them up.  Might not be getting into biathlon after all. They're awful proud of those .22s...
Get a Russian EAA Biathlon Basic 7-2 KO made by Izhmash.  A pretty slick toggle action, bedded match barrel with a serious crown, and a decent trigger. The stock however is typical Russian quality but not too bad. I got mine for $400 about 8 years ago and its a fantastic shooter.    

I picked up a BB 7-2.  Paid $400 for it. It has a GREAT trigger and is very accurate.  The actual Biathlon Rifles have a different barrel and a different safety ... and, of course, a different stock. Not that there is anything wrong with the BB 7-2 barrel ... it is great, hammer forged to help eliminate any stresses.

I bought a roughed in stock blank from Boyd's that did not have the inlet cuts ... was for a Ruger 10/22

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I want all the gadgets they use for shooting. The blinders and what not.

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I raced 7.5 Biathlon and 15k classic back in the day
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, their heart rates stay above 140, along with their blood pressure.....primed athletes after eating all that crabmeat, hot pockets, and cheeseburgers
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't matter an American wont make a top 50 its one of the few events we've never had a medal in
View Quote

I think they said it the ONLY event we've never medaled in.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tell me more of this.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You guys do know that many ARFCOM members compete in a combat Pentathalon twice a year right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, their heart rates stay above 140, along with their blood pressure.....primed athletes after eating all that crabmeat, hot pockets, and cheeseburgers

You guys do know that many ARFCOM members compete in a combat Pentathalon twice a year right?

They have some super secret handshake and won't let octagenarians in.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Tell me more of this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more of this.

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#25]
the Oklahoma Run N Gun was awesome. hot as hell 103 when I started the race. humid, like breathing thru a wet towel.

cross country ( creek bottom ) orienteering, battle gear and a shotgun battlefield pick up. rifle shooting out to 400. pistol shooting with both strong and weak hands.
there are ArfCom ,members here that can straight up get it on if we have too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In the old days, when it was mostly a Nordic competition, they all used service rifles, usually in 6.5x55.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the old days, when it was mostly a Nordic competition, they all used service rifles, usually in 6.5x55.

Yep, and the ranges were much longer, too.  IMO they should still use service rifles (bolt-action, though) and service pistols for the various shooting events that used to use them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I was shocked they showed shooting
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was shocked they showed shooting
View Quote

They gave Kim Rhode about 15sec. When NBC covered the London Games.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think one team from Finland or Russia has ever dared to compete in that......
them boys can't hold their Cola......
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Unquestioningly Eley Tennex
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What .22 do they shoot? Reloads?

Tenex Biathalon - Made for cold weather accuracy between 0 and -20C and a little more powerful to make sure the steel goes down:
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Tenex Biathalon - Made for cold weather accuracy between 0 and -20C and a little more powerful to make sure the steel goes down:
http://www.eley.co.uk/media_files/image/ammunition/tenex%20biathlon%20working%20cutout.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.eley.co.uk/media_files/image/ammunition/tenex%20biathlon%20working%20cutout.jpg

Neckbeards are covered in their own slime after this.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

impossible IMPOSSIBLE I SAY!
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, you're free. Keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any ammo with Eley Tenex on it is expensive as hell.  Its really good stuff but at about $0.40 a shot its not plinking ammo!

My .22 rifles shoot Wolf Match Target ammo just fine, but right now even that is made of unobtainium.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Any ammo with Eley Tenex on it is expensive as hell.  Its really good stuff but at about $0.40 a shot its not plinking ammo!

My .22 rifles shoot Wolf Match Target ammo just fine, but right now even that is made of unobtainium.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

years ago when I shot competitively the Russian .22 load was the cats ass and everyone bartered for it or paid $$$ to get their hands on it. I imagine the wolf match is that load.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The original biathlons were done at 200 and 400 yards with military bolt guns with military ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They should have different categories. While I enjoy watching the current bi I would love watching it with service rifles and bigger calibers. No fancy rifles just run of the mill bolt action rifle or even semi if they want.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They should have different categories. While I enjoy watching the current bi I would love watching it with service rifles and bigger calibers. No fancy rifles just run of the mill bolt action rifle or even semi if they want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it started out with 6.5 swede

its just not practical now, in terms of venues and courses, and centerfire rifles that accurate are much more expensive. .22 shooting is like go kart racing,  fun to do, its about technique not gear, but not as fun to watch. Also, have you tried shooting small bore with a lightweight rifle? its hard enough with a slow heartrate, i cant imagine it with your heart racing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
its about technique not gear
View Quote

Were we watching the same biathlon?  Those were some pretty tricked out rifles.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more of this.

Pretty much biathlon except running vice skiing.  Oh, and the rifles stay at the shooting range.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are pretty basic but everything is good quality.  The butt is confusing as hell though.  I couldn't shoulder my cousin's Anschutz without being super uncomfortable.  The harness/sling is pretty cool but requires practice to use well.

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are pretty basic but everything is good quality.  The butt is confusing as hell though.  I couldn't shoulder my cousin's Anschutz without being super uncomfortable.  The harness/sling is pretty cool but requires practice to use well.

Probably because it was setup to fit her shoulder.   Those butt plates adjust several different ways, and to set one up for yourself would take quite a bit of time and a second person to get everything where it needs to be.    Heck even the trigger on some of  those guns have 6 or so different position adjustments    

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably because it was setup to fit her shoulder.   Those butt plates adjust several different ways, and to set one up for yourself would take quite a bit of time and a second person to get everything where it needs to be.    Heck even the trigger on some of  those guns have 6 or so different position adjustments    

That would explain it.  She's a twig.  She could whip the harness on and off super fast, while I was all derrrrrrrrrrp when I tried.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top