Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 27
Posted: 2/5/2014 6:18:34 PM EDT
I have a sudden fascination with using these quadcopters for recording videos with my GoPros.  From what I have seen the Blade QX350 and the DJI Phantom2 seem to be the most popular quads in use for this.  Please give me the pros and cons of each if you are familiar with these models.  I just bought a little Airhogs Helix4 to play with and I have a much larger cheap WLtoys V262 with built in camera arriving tomorrow to practice with before I attempt using a much more expensive model.  Any input would be appreciated since this is totally new to me and so far I absolutely suck at flying the airhog  I am wanting eventually to do stuff similar to this!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag...

I've been snooping on the ARDrone.  Apparently, you can get an add on now to make it follow GPS points autonomously.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats the battery life on those things?

My brother bought me a cheapo little helicopter for XMas this year, its pretty sweet and controllable for how small it it. Battery lasts about 5 minutes, but charges really quickly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Member Goodn gave some good information the other night in a thread about RC helicopters but I was kinda hijacking that thread.  Need a thread more specific about these quads.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out this place too.
He also sells the parts if you want to assemble yourself

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/quads.html

The FLIP quad frames are very tough.  Thick g-10 arms.

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag for more addiction
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whats the battery life on those things?

My brother bought me a cheapo little helicopter for XMas this year, its pretty sweet and controllable for how small it it. Battery lasts about 5 minutes, but charges really quickly.
View Quote

The little Airhog only last about 4 minutes for me so far and takes 35-45 minutes to recharge using the computer USB.  The larger one I have ordered have 8-12 minutes and the battery is swappable  and larger capacity batteries can be purchased.  Mine is coming with 2 850mha batteries from the Amazon seller.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Meh. Just attach a 8$ keychain cam to your parkzone p-47 and go...

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful scenes. The only other way to view it from that angle is to be crazy enough to go down the fall in a barrel.

With such a proliferation with drones and cameras like this, there should be a massive amount of awesome amateur videos coming out.

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Beautiful scenes. The only other way to view it from that angle is to be crazy enough to go down the fall in a barrel.

With such a proliferation with drones and cameras like this, there should be a massive amount of awesome amateur videos coming out.

View Quote

Search YouTube!!!  They are already out there.  One of the best is about chasing boats but the screen shot shows huge boobies in a bikini so I want imbed it
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
This video is by the same guy with the one mentioned above!  He has some mad flying skills if you watch his five videos.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been seriously considering a DJI Phantom II with the brushless gimble for the gopro.  They are down below $900 now.  The return to home feature looks particular important
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been seriously considering a DJI Phantom II with the brushless gimble for the gopro.  They are down below $900 now.  The return to home feature looks particular important
View Quote

There are a few videos where people have intentionally flown these way out of range and it is impressive to see them return on their own.  Doesn't always work but is neat as hell when they do!
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There are a few videos where people have intentionally flown these way out of range and it is impressive to see them return on their own.  Doesn't always work but is neat as hell when they do!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Without that feature, I fear that anything I purchase would be a colossal waste of money.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Without that feature, I fear that anything I purchase would be a colossal waste of money.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easily $1000-2000 would be lost and suck donkey balls for sure
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Price wise the Blade wins out but the Phantom2 appears to be more capable and a more professional type quad where to me at least the Blade seems more like an upscale toy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
You can diy a small one for $200. Also check out the 3DR IRIS.
The Phantom 2 is nice because it has a 25min flight time, but battery packs are 3x more than standard. $150
I'm building a large one now that has 1hr hover and est 30min flight and can carry 7lbs.
my drone blog kiloOhm.com
also check out this thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1480241_Who_is_the_jerk_who_posted_about_cheap_quadcopters__You_owe_me_money__PICS_VIDS.html

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is another one to check out.  I have the QAV500 kit and maybe I will get it flying this spring

http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/qav500-fpv-quad.html

It is similar to the one used by the infamous Trappy.  
http://www.team-blacksheep.com/

He has some awesome videos, especially with his zephyr flying wing, racing down mountain sides in what he calls "proximity flying"

And for general FPV flying, this is the site to go to for more info
http://fpvlab.com/forums/index.php
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Contact the guy who owns West Fork Armory he's pretty knowledgeable on them. His name is Michael Scalafani. I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to offer any advice he could
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the Phantom 2 with brushless gimbal. For general flying, the blade is a little better since it is a touch more powerful.

If you're buying it for anything other than JUST flying it, go with the phantom 2. It is far, far better for FPV and video. Not to mention go pro has a bad ass pelican type case for it:

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#20]
If I was to build a fun one, it would be this:

he is using a 433lrs and 1.290GHz video

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Feel free to let site staff know we need a new sub-forum.  I always end up subbing to the r/c quad threads to keep track of them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#22]
We took this video last Friday at a nearby park. Starts off at 10 ft alt and ends up at the FAA limit of 400 ft. The last minute or two are kind of boring because it's on an auto pilot home landing control and it's kind of slow, but it shows you what it can do when you lose signal.

The easiest way to land the Phantom 2 Vision is to simply turn off the controller and let it come home by itself.

WHEN PROPERLY INITIATED, the GPS system brings it back to within 8 or 10 feet from it's original take-off position, maintain a hover for 15 seconds while offering to restore control to you, and if you decline (leave the controller turned off) it will slowly descend, land, and shut itself off.

I've had mine  out to 1,000 ft away at 400 ft altitude where you can barely see it on the horizon before it lost contact signal. When it loses signal it comes home. You can resume control as soon as it's back within signal distance.

Go Pro has a prettier picture, but the on-board camera on the P2V also takes 1080i video, up to 14 mg stills, is preconfigured, tested, and debugged. Use your own judgment on that one.

The thermal imager P2V replacement camera should be available soon if it's not out already. Last I checked it costs over twice what the P2V costs itself.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have the Phantom 2 with brushless gimbal. For general flying, the blade is a little better since it is a touch more powerful.

If you're buying it for anything other than JUST flying it, go with the phantom 2. It is far, far better for FPV and video. Not to mention go pro has a bad ass pelican type case for it:

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/8vdj8sp2r/" target="_blank">http://s13.postimg.org/8vdj8sp2r/20140205_193651_resized.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is where I am torn.  I don't plan on doing anything really other than recording some fun videos for myself and just posting on FB and YouTube.  I record every fishing trip, motorcycle ride etc now with my GoPro and just want to expand the possibilities a bit if you follow.  Just a fun hobbie and a good way of recording memories.  A friend of mine was fishing and another buddy that owns his on helicopter business buzzed my friend while recording with his GoPro and posted it.  It got the wheels rolling in my head of another way to throw more $$$ out the window
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is where I am torn.  I don't plan on doing anything really other than recording some fun videos for myself and just posting on FB and YouTube.  I record every fishing trip, motorcycle ride etc now with my GoPro and just want to expand the possibilities a bit if you follow.  Just a fun hobbie and a good way of recording memories.  A friend of mine was fishing and another buddy that owns his on helicopter business buzzed my friend while recording with his GoPro and posted it.  It got the wheels rolling in my head of another way to throw more $$$ out the window
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/8vdj8sp2r/" target="_blank">http://s13.postimg.org/8vdj8sp2r/20140205_193651_resized.jpg</a>

If you plan on recording at all, seriously go with the phantom. The blade CAN be a video platform, but it was not made for it at all.

Kind of like saying "lets see how well an ar15 groups at 100 yards."   The a pistol won't be worth a shit, but you may hit the target. The rifle however will drill it every time. Hope that analogy helps. :)
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Just finished building my first FPV quad a couple weeks ago.  Flying these things FPV is definitely a learning experience.  I've been flying planes/helis for over 20 years and my first FPV flight was pretty hair raising.  It will take a while to get good enough for proximity flying (through trees/obstacles).

Here's my first "real" quad, a Flip 360 FPV.  I get around 10 minute flight times with 3s 2200mah LiPolys.  I'm running a 1.3ghz 800mw transmitter, so with the right antennas will get about 30 mile video downlink range.  Right now my flight transmitter is a 2.4ghz Spektrum so I am limited to about 3/4 mile range.  Once I upgrade my flight transmitter to a 433mhz system, I could get over 30 miles easily (if I had enough battery that is).

The nice thing about the Flip 360 FPV is that the arms fold flat to the body so it can easily fit into a small pack.  

I need to upload the maiden FPV flight video to YouTube so I can post it here.

Flip 360 FPV 7 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Flip 360 FPV 5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#27]
My current build in progress:

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tag...

I've been snooping on the ARDrone.  Apparently, you can get an add on now to make it follow GPS points autonomously.
View Quote

The ARDrone is not nearly what it is cracked up to be.  The ARDrone is the $30 Ebay knockoff red dot of quad copters, you may get some use out of it, but there are MUCH better choices..  The biggest problem I have is it is very light, but ridiculously underpowered, so 1 light breeze and you are out of range and then your $400 quad will decide to land in the nearest tree or bush and destroy itself.  If you are going to fly in a gymnasium or similar area, it is ok, but not outside except on an absolutely calm day.

I would give the DJI the nod for raw durability, and the QX the nod for ease of repair/upgrade.  Either would be a good choice, if you are a tinker, buy the QX, if you don't like spinning wrenches, the DJI.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is a big FU to all you guys... I might sell off my 50BMG hobby, could buy a fleet of these then but dame is this stuff sweet!
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Nice! Is that a Tarot 690?  My dad and I are thinking of building a ~1000mm octocopter for video work as well as an aerial platform for shooting my full frame DSLR.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Here is a big FU to all you guys... I might sell off my 50BMG hobby, could buy a fleet of these then but dame is this stuff sweet!
View Quote

No!!!!  You need to build a drone that will carry your 50 BMG stuff FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't know what is more Bad Ass here.  The quad or the guy flying it.  Stolen from the other thread above.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The ARDrone is not nearly what it is cracked up to be.  The ARDrone is the $30 Ebay knockoff red dot of quad copters, you may get some use out of it, but there are MUCH better choices..  The biggest problem I have is it is very light, but ridiculously underpowered, so 1 light breeze and you are out of range and then your $400 quad will decide to land in the nearest tree or bush and destroy itself.  If you are going to fly in a gymnasium or similar area, it is ok, but not outside except on an absolutely calm day.

I would give the DJI the nod for raw durability, and the QX the nod for ease of repair/upgrade.  Either would be a good choice, if you are a tinker, buy the QX, if you don't like spinning wrenches, the DJI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag...

Kind of info I'm looking for!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't know what is more Bad Ass here.  The quad or the guy flying it.  Stolen from the other thread above.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJyvLH3xo6E
View Quote

I had no clue you could even do that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]
DJI Phantom 2 w/gimbal and GoPro is probably the best out of the box RTF unit you can buy, plus the video quality is amazing.

The Phantom Vision is good too, but the video stability is horrible.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#37]
BTW for those interested in such, Darryl Cannon aka Killboy.com of The Tail of the Dragon fame is now using a QX350 and it will be interesting to see how he manages to work this into his photo business.   I have been chatting with him a little on FB about this.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#38]
My buddy just got the blade. While it is impressive with all the tech it comes with it is small. If you havnt seen one in person you need to before you order one. I traded him out of a brand new kit but I dont have a lot of interest in it if you was closer I would make you a deal on it. I have been trying to learn to fly helis for the last couple of years so I dont have time to waist on a quad.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
DJI Phantom 2 w/gimbal and GoPro is probably the best out of the box RTF unit you can buy, plus the video quality is amazing.

View Quote

I watched a video where they had a GoPro mounted to the bottom of the vision and even with the Gopro shaking because of the way it was mounted and they had it set in a lower video format it still was better.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I watched a video where they had a GoPro mounted to the bottom of the vision and even with the Gopro shaking because of the way it was mounted and they had it set in a lower video format it still was better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

earplugs or moongel dampen vibration, preventing "jello"

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My buddy just got the blade. While it is impressive with all the tech it comes with it is small. If you havnt seen one in person you need to before you order one. I traded him out of a brand new kit but I dont have a lot of interest in it if you was closer I would make you a deal on it. I have been trying to learn to fly helis for the last couple of years so I dont have time to waist on a quad.
View Quote

Interesting!  I had not considered the size and need to do a comparison.  Wind has been a huge issue here in West Tenn for the last 3 years.  I think it followed me home from Sturgis SD in 2010 and it has never left.  Almost constant 25 mph every day it seems
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I just bought the Phantom 2 Vision.  If I already had a GoPro Hero 3, I would have just gotten the Phantom 2 as I think there is little less vibration distortion with the GoPro H3 than with the Vision camera.

It takes great HD still shots.

My research says Phantom 2 bigger 5,200ma battery gives 25 minutes flight time vs Phantom 1 2,400ma battery's 8-10 minutes.  I think the 2 has bigger motors as well.

I'm still getting used to mine.  I'm a newb at Youtube editing but here are some shots I took at church to play around with it.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nice! Is that a Tarot 690?  My dad and I are thinking of building a ~1000mm octocopter for video work as well as an aerial platform for shooting my full frame DSLR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's the Tarot T960.  Not sure if you had a typo.  It is huge, and I will also be carrying my brothers full size DSLR.  Can't wait!    It's ready to fly (and tune), I'm just waiting for a nice day without snow.....so the wait goes on.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just bought the Phantom 2 Vision.  If I already had a GoPro Hero 3, I would have just gotten the Phantom 2 as I think there is little less vibration distortion with the GoPro H3 than with the Vision camera.

My research says Phantom 2 bigger 5,200ma battery gives 25 minutes flight time vs Phantom 1 2,400ma battery's 8-10 minutes.  I think the 2 has bigger motors as well.

I'm still getting used to mine.  I'm a newb at Youtube editing but here are some shots I took at church to play around with it.  

http://youtu.be/J3tqYoh7vYI
View Quote

Phantom2 is more powerful and has more hook up capabilities for other accessories.  Also quite a bit more expensive from what I am finding with just the base models.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

The video quality from those camers is not bad but that funky distortion sucks.  I know they say these cameras can't be removed but I think I would be tempted.  One of the things I have read is to film in a slower frame rate such as 24fps to help smooth out the videos.  GoPros will do the similar if vibrating.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag...

True...I have an AR Drone.
It IS a cool "toy"...But I am now looking to get something much better.

With the AR Drone, you pretty much need DEAD CALM.  Any stiff breeze plays havoc with it.
VERY cool indoors though.

Also...I have not been able to achive the precision control over that is shown in most of the advertisements. (granted, I just use my phone to control it).
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#47]
This is what I have been trying to fly indoors but most of our rooms are smallish and full of furniture and other crap making things difficult.  These don't do well outdoors with even 1 MPH wind but I took it out today in 20 MPH and had better luck than I have indoors.  I have crashed it at least 50 times and only managed to break off one small piece of foam.

I have this ordered and it should arrive tomorrow.  I think it might actually be easier to fly than this little one.  The included camera is so so but these will also carry a GoPro if you want to.  I have one GoPro 3 silver that the USB plug is broken but the camera still functions that might be a test mule.
WLtoys V262 Cyclone with camera
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Get a Hubsan X4. If you can fly that indoors, you can fly anything.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#49]
just got these today

only 25g ea

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Phantom2 is more powerful and has more hook up capabilities for other accessories.  Also quite a bit more expensive from what I am finding with just the base models.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the phantom 1 is close to $500 without the $200 GP gimbal.  The phantom 2 with the GP gimbal is just under $900.  WIth only a $200 difference, it seems like a no brainer to me.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top