Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Just flew the V262 outdoors for the first time in my wooded side lot.  This thing is AWESOME   I somehow lost my onboard video by turning the camera on and the off and back on again.  Computer can't read the second file.  My head mounted Gopro video will be up shortly!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I crammed my Hero 3 silver up under the bottom of the canopy and it fits great.  I just need to come up with a simple way of securing it and I will give it a try after a little practice.  I have one that the usb port is broken so I don't mind using it as a guinea pig.  First real test flight along with the little low def camera that came with it in just a little while!  I chunked the owners manual, it is a bad joke.  Finally at least learned how to operate the camera by just playing with the remote buttons.  It will shoot video with the function button on top left and shoot a short time lapse photo with the function button on the bottom right front button.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the v262 and I'm going to try and mount a GoPro on it today.

I crammed my Hero 3 silver up under the bottom of the canopy and it fits great.  I just need to come up with a simple way of securing it and I will give it a try after a little practice.  I have one that the usb port is broken so I don't mind using it as a guinea pig.  First real test flight along with the little low def camera that came with it in just a little while!  I chunked the owners manual, it is a bad joke.  Finally at least learned how to operate the camera by just playing with the remote buttons.  It will shoot video with the function button on top left and shoot a short time lapse photo with the function button on the bottom right front button.

I bought a GoPro tripod mount piece which I'll secure to the quad somehow... either with a 20-1/4 nylon bolt or maybe just crazy glue. And then I'll attach the GoPro via an open frame (as opposed to a full gopro case)

Did test some shots with the GoPro stuffed under the canopy, but the downward orientation had to be pretty severe in order to get the quad's "feet" out of the shot
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
First outdoor flight test is a success!!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally got some onboard video from the second flight and came really close to losing this thing up in the top of the trees!!!!  Camera resolution from this WLToys camera is very very poor but better than nothing I guess.  I can't tell if it is the lens fogging up from the cold or if it is just this bad.  Oh well you get what you pay for in this case.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an inlaw that is a professional at that. He works for a production company that does the hunting shows you see on the outdoor channel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I was able to fly it in the open field across from my house instead on my wooded yard and it is so much fun being able to stretch the legs on this thing.  It is very easy to fly for a total newb like me and the flip function works perfect even though I really had no interest in doing stunts.  I wish however I had just bought this bird without the cheap camera and put a mobius on it instead.  This camera sucks bad!
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
How do I get my Youtube links to quick linking the entire playlist????
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if this link has been posted but here it is anyway. I found this forum to be very helpful when it comes to quads and such.

Quad forum
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know if this link has been posted but here it is anyway. I found this forum to be very helpful when it comes to quads and such.

Quad forum
View Quote

Thanks I hadn't found that one yet.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quad forum

Here is another link that will answer some questions.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097355#post12906859

And this guy puts his own great music to some nice quad photography. decent video at the link.

http://speromusic.com/SperoMusic/Welcome.html
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And this guy puts his own great music to some nice quad photography. decent video at the link.

Very cool but I think creating my on music is a little out of my league  I'll just have to keep stealing other artist music or use the crappy Youtube stuff.  I have so many hours of motorcycle videos put to music that YouTube blocks it's sickening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quad forum

Very cool but I think creating my on music is a little out of my league  I'll just have to keep stealing other artist music or use the crappy Youtube stuff.  I have so many hours of motorcycle videos put to music that YouTube blocks it's sickening.

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is the corresponding ground video of the above onboard flight in the field.  I have had too much fun with this toy already
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#13]
maiden flight with the home-brew gopro rig on the v262 a success!

I'll post pics tomorrow
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#15]
My battery charger has quit working after 4 charges  Correction one of my batteries is bad.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]
That v262 looks like a good entry. And for $79 a good price too! I paid $50 for the airhogs quad.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That v262 looks like a good entry. And for $79 a good price too! I paid $50 for the airhogs quad.
View Quote

My Airhog was $65 from Wallyworld and the V262 camera version w/camera  is $140-150.  Camera is junk.  The 262 is so much easier to fly than the Airhog, but the Airhog gave me a lot of good indoor practice so I recommend them just for that.  The controls are very close.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Gatordonald/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/5E9AFA3B-5E9B-4E55-A437-0D9BE61F6260_zpsxyeiookh.jpg

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/Gatordonald/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/11CB8E4E-9943-40DB-9B7A-848E37CD27D4_zpsqjqqavno.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Gatordonald/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/11CB8E4E-9943-40DB-9B7A-848E37CD27D4_zpsqjqqavno.jpg</a>

View Quote

How do you plan on not bashing that when you land?  I've seen a few extend the legs with foam tubing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How do you plan on not bashing that when you land?  I've seen a few extend the legs with foam tubing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Gatordonald/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/5E9AFA3B-5E9B-4E55-A437-0D9BE61F6260_zpsxyeiookh.jpg

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/Gatordonald/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/11CB8E4E-9943-40DB-9B7A-848E37CD27D4_zpsqjqqavno.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Gatordonald/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/11CB8E4E-9943-40DB-9B7A-848E37CD27D4_zpsqjqqavno.jpg</a>

land on an open box
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This video is by the same guy with the one mentioned above!  He has some mad flying skills if you watch his five videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtiDPmjde94
View Quote

Mad skills!!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Is the Flamewheel 550 a good start for a decent build?

I have wanted to start one of these, and build it over time. The flamewheel looks great! Is there something better or anything i need to know before purchasing the kit?
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Well my V262 just burned out a motor after just 4 short flights on top of the fact the battery is not charging correctly.  This thing may just end up going in the trash rather than bothering to fix it.  Rather disappointing to say the least.  Guess I will be flying the Blade QX350 much sooner than I planned!!!!  The little Airhogs has been crashed countless times by me and last night by my wife and daughter and it still flies like new.  The V262 has never even been crashed.  Trying to decide whether or not to order some spare motors and parts as cheap as they are, but out of nearly $50K in tools I own, I don't even have a screwdriver set that will work with these tiny screws
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#23]
After a little more thought and remembering I already have 3 extra batteries ordered, I hit Ebay and ordered 3 spare motors $5.99 ea, 3 gears $1.99, and another battery charger @ $12.99 since I am not sure whether I have a battery or charger problem at the moment.  I will get this bird back in the air just because it flies so well when it does work.  I will have way more invested than I wanted to however.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Bastards at the FAA shut them down.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
After a little more thought and remembering I already have 3 extra batteries ordered, I hit Ebay and ordered 3 spare motors $5.99 ea, 3 gears $1.99, and another battery charger @ $12.99 since I am not sure whether I have a battery or charger problem at the moment.  I will get this bird back in the air just because it flies so well when it does work.  I will have way more invested than I wanted to however.
View Quote

If you think you're going to stick with this, get yourself a better charger.  It will eliminate guesswork like this.  I think the icharger 206B is ~$125 new, less than $100 used.  Pick up a parallel charging board (with appropriate connectors) and you'll be able to charge 1s to 10s batteries.  It will tell you if you have a dead cell and where it is.  You can balance charge your lipos so they'll last longer.  You can storage discharge your batteries (to 3.85/cell) and store them indefinitely.

I bought a used 3010B and it has saved me a ton of money.  About 6 months ago I nearly flew a bad 6s pack...had it been subjected to a decent current draw it probably would've burned up in flight...destroying electronics, airframe, and everything else.  Thankfully, I had the charger "monitor" the pack and it showed I had a bad cell with super high internal resistance.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh boy!!!  Things are fixing to get interesting.  Bird #1 of 2 ordered just arrived!  Parts for the V262 should be here Thurs.  The temptation to fly this is going to be to great to withstand but I know I really need more practice (much more) with the V262 if I can get it back going.  It also melted the wires going to the motor after starting to take it apart yesterday but I haven't yet checked to see how far back the wires burned.  If they burned all the way back though the frame and to were they connect inside the control board this will not be an easy fix.

Pic of the new toy along with 2 spare batteries.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah I could not resist the urge to fly this thing so off to the field across the street I went in about 20 mph winds no less.  In smart mode this thing is so easy to fly!!!!  I will not get this out of smart mode though for a long time until I have honed my skills on other cheaper machines.  I am a poor working stiff and really don't feel like crashing this just yet.
Video of first flight is loading currently and I am going to mount my broken GoPro and take it for one more test flight shortly after the battery recharges if the winds don't get any worse.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah I could not resist the urge to fly this thing so off to the field across the street I went in about 20 mph winds no less.  In smart mode this thing is so easy to fly!!!!  I will not get this out of smart mode though for a long time until I have honed my skills on other cheaper machines.  I am a poor working stiff and really don't feel like crashing this just yet.
Video of first flight is loading currently and I am going to mount my broken GoPro and take it for one more test flight shortly after the battery recharges if the winds don't get any worse.
View Quote

The 350 doesn't have onboard video correct?  You have to add your own GoPro or similar?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did the same thing with my phantom.   I  bought a cheap quad that I could barely fly and kept crashing it.  Ordered a phantom and the day it arrived took it out to fly even though I felt I was not ready.     Anything that gps holds is crazy simple to learn on.

For those curious how these, RC planes, or RC helicopters fly they make a lot of apps for apple devices.  Not sure about android.   They are very similar to how they act in real life.  Great training tool.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The 350 doesn't have onboard video correct?  You have to add your own GoPro or similar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct!  I have already mounted and flown it with the GoPro also as a test in extremely high wind.  Did fantastic in holding it's position even up high.  I will also post that video as soon as YouTube finishes doing it's thing with the first one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Video from the ground of the first flights.  Actual flying starts about 2:15 in.  Kinda long and boring but
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#32]
My very first GoPro on board flight with the 350 QX
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I got one of those low cost V262 quads too. I've been having a lot of fun learning the ropes with it. Even if it ends up dying quickly, it serves its purpose in getting me used to flying a quad. I also have a gopro3 and plan to eventually try mounting it to the v262 but for now, I have the training ring still on and am getting comfortable learning it.

To the guy who uses an $8 keychain cam on his quad: do you have a link of where you got that? I'd love to use that on my quad to start things off before I move up to my gopro. For $8, would be worth a try as a starter vid setup.

I am uploading a quick little vid of my quad on a windy day. Nothing special but does show the V262 can handle some winds since they were blowing 20mph.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I got one of those low cost V262 quads too. I've been having a lot of fun learning the ropes with it. Even if it ends up dying quickly, it serves its purpose in getting me used to flying a quad. I also have a gopro3 and plan to eventually try mounting it to the v262 but for now, I have the training ring still on and am getting comfortable learning it.

To the guy who uses an $8 keychain cam on his quad: do you have a link of where you got that? I'd love to use that on my quad to start things off before I move up to my gopro. For $8, would be worth a try as a starter vid setup.

I am uploading a quick little vid of my quad on a windy day. Nothing special but does show the V262 can handle some winds since they were blowing 20mph.
View Quote

I'm really hoping to get my V262 back in the air.  It is a blast to fly and I feel it's a very good learning tool.  At least if I start doing tricks and such with it and it crashes and burns it's no huge loss and parts are cheap.  Not so much the case with the Blade.  The Blade is very very easy to fly at least in the Smart mode.  Again it will stay in that mode until I get a lot more flying skills.  Right now stupid mistakes come way to frequently.  My V262 handled the wind very well also and it was surprising it could do it flying with that huge foam wind sail mounted.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Here is a vid of my V262 flying in a healthy 20mph wind. Amazing a toy that cost less than $100 can do this. Can't wait to do some in air vids with the gopro but think I am going to try to find one of those $8 cheapo keychain vid cameras the other guy was talking about to practice with before I risk my nice gopro.

V262 flying in wind
(don't know how to make it show up in post)
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Here is a vid of my V262 flying in a healthy 20mph wind. Amazing a toy that cost less than $100 can do this. Can't wait to do some in air vids with the gopro but think I am going to try to find one of those $8 cheapo keychain vid cameras the other guy was talking about to practice with before I risk my nice gopro.

V262 flying in wind
View Quote

The biggest wind issue I had with mine (the V262) is when I took it up a good 200 ft and the wind did not want to let it come back down even with the throttle all the way off.  It eventually came back down albeit slowly.  It did stay level the entire time though which really shocked me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Really enjoyed the thread so far TNRIVERLUVER!

I might look into the 350QX and have questions down the road.  Keep us updated as you continue to fly it.

What mount are you using for the GoPro?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I might look into the 350QX and have questions down the road.  Keep us updated as you continue to fly it.

View Quote

For the time being just the stock GoPro mount that comes with the copter.  I have a cheap EBay <$100 Gimbal coming all the way from China.  Shipping is listed as anywhere from one to 2 months delivery date.  Mine shipped the next day after ordering so we will see how long it takes.  They make it very clear that it takes a while for these to be delivered.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

For the time being just the stock GoPro mount that comes with the copter.  I have a cheap EBay <$100 Gimbal coming all the way from China.  Shipping is listed as anywhere from one to 2 months delivery date.  Mine shipped the next day after ordering so we will see how long it takes.  They make it very clear that it takes a while for these to be delivered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hit or miss in my experience.  I've purchased a handful of photography items from China.  Best I got was 8 days, longest was 45.  Hopefully your's is pretty speedy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was really considering the new Phantom2 with H3 gimbal at $869.  For about $50 more I bought 2 Blades, one RTF and the other is BNF plus I now will have 6 extra batteries, 2 chargers, 2 extra sets of blades, etc.  Not counting the fact I will also have a complete parts bird if the worst should happen to one of them.  It was a no brainer to go this route for me after a little thought was put into it.  Extra batteries alone are $200 ea for the new Phantom2.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't foresee ever needing more than  5-6 minutes of continuous flight time for my planned uses carrying the GoPro.  For someone needing much more, the 25 minutes offered by the Phantom 2 would be worth the investment.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I was really considering the new Phantom2 with H3 gimbal at $869.  For about $50 more I bought 2 Blades, one RTF and the other is BNF plus I now will have 6 extra batteries, 2 chargers, 2 extra sets of blades, etc.  Not counting the fact I will also have a complete parts bird if the worst should happen to one of them.  It was a no brainer to go this route for me after a little thought was put into it.  Extra batteries alone are $200 ea for the new Phantom2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate your input.  I've been reading reviews online and trying to find head to head comparisons of the 350QX and the Phantom2.  The price difference is pretty big as you said.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#44]
This thread propmted me to drop a hundo on a Estes Proto X and a Hubsan x4 with the camera. I hope these two little copters will scratch the itch, as I do not need another couple thousand dollar hobby
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This thread propmted me to drop a hundo on a Estes Proto X and a Hubsan x4 with the camera. I hope these two little copters will scratch the itch, as I do not need another couple thousand dollar hobby
View Quote

I have watched several reviews on both of those and they look fun.  My eyesight is getting bad enough with old age however that I don't think I would be able to tell where they are or what they are doing although I know one of them offers FPV but it doesn't record the video.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 4:20:28 AM EDT
[#46]
It's not a hobby if its not expensive.

Taken with my 350 QX and GP3.

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Reelfoot Lake is frozen solid and I felt it was probably a once in a lifetime event (or at least hoping so) for me to see, so decided foolishly to go get some aerial footage although this would only be my 4th flight with the 350QX.  I started having the dreaded GoPro-QX compatibility issues almost immediately and had a very hard time controlling the quad and not crashing.  The second video is from when I went to a second location to get some better footage and crashed right after takeoff because it lost GPS and I had no flight controls whatsoever.  Luckily no damage was done and I took the camera off at home and it flew perfectly.

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#48]
nice!  I've only flown my own Blade 350QX once in the past 2 months...
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#49]
You ARE turning off the wifi on the GoPro, right?
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Hmm, OST.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top