Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh boy!!!  Things are fixing to get interesting.  Bird #1 of 2 ordered just arrived!  Parts for the V262 should be here Thurs.  The temptation to fly this is going to be to great to withstand but I know I really need more practice (much more) with the V262 if I can get it back going.  It also melted the wires going to the motor after starting to take it apart yesterday but I haven't yet checked to see how far back the wires burned.  If they burned all the way back though the frame and to were they connect inside the control board this will not be an easy fix.

Pic of the new toy along with 2 spare batteries.
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/tnriverluver/qx350_zps90c3253f.jpg
View Quote

Congrats,  you will like it.  

Oh and op,  fly your GoPro in its protective case when it is hanging off of the 350.  Go in the GoPro menu and flip the video.

Ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You ARE turning off the wifi on the GoPro, right?
View Quote

Yes no WiFi turned on on the cameras.  Supposedly it is the processors etc that cause the interference and not the Wifi in this case.  I have now flown it 5 times this evening at home without the camera mounted and not a single glitch.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it possible to transmit images in real-time to a phone screen?
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is it possible to transmit images in real-time to a phone screen?
View Quote

GoPro app and IPhone using the GoPro Wifi does just that.  That would be a big no no when flying these drones however because they are both in the 2.4 Mhz range.  I use that app often when filming non drone flying activities such as fishing videos, etc.  It comes in handy just to be able to see what is in the camera's frame when you don't have the LCD backpack attached.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes no WiFi turned on on the cameras.  Supposedly it is the processors etc that cause the interference and not the Wifi in this case.  I have now flown it 5 times this evening at home without the camera mounted and not a single glitch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is this a known glitch across all GoPro models or just on your particular one?  Any fixes or workarounds?
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So is this a known glitch across all GoPro models or just on your particular one?  Any fixes or workarounds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The main issue is the fact that the aircraft and it's transmitter communicate via 2.4 GHZ signal.  And the GoPro transmits on 2.4 GHZ  running the risk of "cross talk" or even jamming.  Ideally you would run a 5.8 GHZ down link for live stream.

So it is not really a glitch with either.  Just an issue.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The main issue is the fact that the aircraft and it's transmitter communicate via 2.4 GHZ signal.  And the GoPro transmits on 2.4 GHZ  running the risk of "cross talk" or even jamming.  Ideally you would run a 5.8 GHZ down link for live stream.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see...thanks for the info.  I've been seriously considering the 350QX so I'm interesting in all the info I can get.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I see...thanks for the info.  I've been seriously considering the 350QX so I'm interesting in all the info I can get.
View Quote

As far as good quality and bang for the buck.  You can't really go wrong.  

I have been very impressed with mine.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#10]
New giant I'm building....its big. Estimated 34 minutes flight on 4s 10000mah. With a 6s it can carry 8lbs.
15.5" carbon props. Tarot 650 Ironman full carbon frame that folds up.

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 12:55:01 AM EDT
[#11]
IN FOR MORE INFO
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Most cameras interfere with GPS a bit.

OP you might want to make a shield for the gopro like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2072675
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#13]
nice thread....

i've been practicing on my Phoenix RC software sym with a spektrum DX6i for a while now.  i was originally interested in the Align T-Rex - maybe something in the 400 or 450 range, but i'm thinking maybe the quad will be better suited for me.  i'd love to be able to take aerial pics and vid, and i'm more looking for basic 'flight' than i am aerobatics...

i'm glad i bought the sym program first, as it was obvious in the first five seconds that i'd have destroyed $500 worth of copter parts trying to run a collective hobby copter with no experience...  doing really well now on the sym, but landings are still below average.  i'm getting better with changing winds, direction, etc.

and thanks for the heads up on the quad forum.  ;)
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#14]
The GoPro issue is not just an issue with the Blade 350QX as reports of the same problem with Phantoms and others are also out there.  The vast majority of these machines seem to operate off the 2.4 Ghz frequency now.  So far I am in love with my Blade though and have flown it 8 times both without the camera mounted and with the camera mounted but turned off without any problems since yesterdays little incident.  I will get this thing shielded today if I can find some copper foil or tape and see what happens from there.  A couple of posters over on the RC board stated aluminum foil did not work for them but the copper did.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrap GoPro in aluminum foil.

No I am not joking.   This is a known issue and cheap aluminum fo shielding is a cheap work around.   Seen several pictures of it.  Google/search around.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I would buy one, but TX banned me from filming using a "drone"
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

For private or commercial use?  Commercial is banned nationwide with a few exceptions where the FAA has granted a temporary license for now until they work out how to handle the commercial use issue.  It does get very complicated when you consider liability,etc.  Plenty of Texas owners posting on YouTube.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

TX only outlawed using a drone for Surveillance and then only under certain circumstances.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#19]
YAY!!!!  I got the new motor installed successfully into the V262.  First time I think I have even been successful soldering anything electronic at nearly 53 y/o
https://vimeo.com/86747464
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

TX only outlawed using a drone for Surveillance and then only under certain circumstances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You cant film any private property at all with a drone.  Not unless its yours.  Or unless you have permission from the property owners.

So flying a quadracopter through the neighborhood with a cam on it just for the hell of it is banned.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#21]
ARFCOM, I hate you. Do you know why?

This is why

Solely because of these threads, I now have a fully autonomous quadcopter that will follow gps coordinates by itself coming to my doorstep
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 2:12:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This is why

http://www.adafruit.com/adablog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/iris1.jpg

Solely because of these threads, I now have a fully autonomous quadcopter that will follow gps coordinates by itself coming to my doorstep

View Quote
Very cool...but IRIS/PIXHAWK requires some serious attention to detail in setup. For advanced users.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 2:23:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Very cool...but IRIS/PIXHAWK requires some serious attention to detail in setup. For advanced users.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why
http://www.adafruit.com/adablog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/iris1.jpg

Its not going to get much use for awhile outside of a small automated flights from a computer. Advanced I am not, and while they advertise a fairly straight forward, user friendly protocol, I'm going to proceed with extreme caution.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I am seriously looking at ordering one of these frames or the almost ready to fly model.  Trying to find out if I can just swap out all the guts from my 2nd 350QX into one of these frames.  90% of my flying plans involve water!!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Just hired this guy to take aerial shots with his quad copter. Very cool technology. It was cool as hell seeing hover over a major interstate.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I have been flying my V262 today and it is working fine after my repair  The only real issue with it I currently have is that I can only get about 7 1/2 minutes out of the original battery and I have 2 that I ordered off Amazon that were advertised and used the picture of a factory battery that were in fact some kind of aftermarket junk put together by amateurs that will not fit the compartment without loosening the compartment screws quite a bit and so far will only keep the bird airborne for about a minute.  He got some not so nice feedback from me that was actually published by Amazon  I'm not going to bother trying to send them back for a refund since it will not be worth the hassle for such a small $$ amount and will try cycling them through the charger a few times and see if they improve.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Just a quick update on my 350QX GPS issues.  I tried to fly this evening and get some nice aerial video above my house while the wind is calm and I could never get the QX to get GPS lock with the camera on.  Hero3 Silver no Wifi running.  Turn the camera of and almost immediately get GPS lock.  Go turn the camera back on and lose GPS lock.  Shielding this camera will be a must for me in order to safely fly this bird.

I will be testing heavy aluminum foil wrap tomorrow.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#28]
The above foil wrap worked!!!!!  I went to the exact same takeoff spot, aquired GPS lock quickly, stayed locked, flew smoothly without issue in near total darkness and hopefully I got some interesting video
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The above foil wrap worked!!!!!  I went to the exact same takeoff spot, aquired GPS lock quickly, stayed locked, flew smoothly without issue in near total darkness and hopefully I got some interesting video
View Quote

What is GPS lock?  I was browsing the user manual.  Does it mean that once you begin flight and fight a hovering position you can hit a button and it will take over and maintain that position/altitude?
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glad to hear it.

My fixed wing is on 433mhz for control and 5.8ghz for video.    GoPro shouldnt give me any fits.

I joined the quad rotor brotherhood yesterday.   Got a 40 dollar Eflite micro.

Fun having in a ground effect hover bouncing along the floor.   The cats are not impressed.   My thumbs dont have the fine motor skills to keep steady throttle while turning.  Hand eye coordination will come eventually.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What is GPS lock?  I was browsing the user manual.  Does it mean that once you begin flight and fight a hovering position you can hit a button and it will take over and maintain that position/altitude?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is required to take off and fly in smart mode.  When you turn the bird on with the Remote set to smart mode the light on the back will flash green in a series of 3 blinks for a few minutes.  The light will then turn solid green when GPS lock is aquired and allow you to start the motors and fly around using the Smart mode.  Light will be blue in Stability mode and red in Agility mode.  I am only capable and comfortable flying this machine in smart mode currently.  Watch some Youtube videos on this and you will understand quicker than reading the manual about it.  And yes to your question, in Smart mode it will maintain a steady hands off hover and altitude.  In Stability it will maintain the postion but the pilot must maintain altitude.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It is required to take off and fly in smart mode.  When you turn the bird on with the Remote set to smart mode the light on the back will flash green in a series of 3 blinks for a few minutes.  The light will then turn solid green when GPS lock is aquired and allow you to start the motors and fly around using the Smart mode.  Light will be blue in Stability mode and red in Agility mode.  I am only capable and comfortable flying this machine in smart mode currently.  Watch some Youtube videos on this and you will understand quicker than reading the manual about it.  And yes to your question, in Smart mode it will maintain a steady hands off hover and altitude.  In Stability it will maintain the postion but the pilot must maintain altitude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense thank you.  I'll start looking at the videos on youtube.  Appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You cant film any private property at all with a drone.  Not unless its yours.  Or unless you have permission from the property owners.

So flying a quadracopter through the neighborhood with a cam on it just for the hell of it is banned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true. I recommend you actually read the law that was passed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#34]
There is not much to see here until the 2:25 mark when I climbed up to tree top level through a small opening to the sky in my wooded lot.  These Quads really show up well at night with the LED lighting on them.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#35]
FPV (first person viewing) is crazy.

Check this out:

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DDbCe_1AuA
View Quote

OMG    I cannot wait to be able to do that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#37]
This was a little flying I did yesterday.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#38]

I thought you looked like you where getting a little close in a few spots
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DDbCe_1AuA
View Quote

That is one hell of a battery on that thing.  Roughly 10 minute flight?   Guessing 20-30 amps per motor.

Impressive.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#40]
So I figure what better possible way to test my foil wrap than to fly over water for the very first time (10-35 ft deep).  f it is ever going to go wrong, this would surely be the time right?  Everything went smoothly and the bird returned home safely  
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Corresponding to the above video
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Coincidentally funny related story:

Last night, while I was on duty (fire/rescue)...We had a large shed fire in fenced the back yard of a house in a residential neighborhood.
After the fire was out, and overhaul was underway...We noticed these little lights flying around about 30 feet in the air, behind a house across the street.

It was a quad drone watching us work the fire!!  Lmao

The neighbors across the street were using it to rubber neck.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#43]
This new hobby is going to break my bank acct.  Just ordered a Fat Shark FPV system.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

This new hobby is going to break my bank acct.  Just ordered a Fat Shark FPV system.
View Quote
IT's worse than black rifle disease.

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#45]
How upgradeable is the Blade 350?  I have narrowed it down to either the DJI 450 with ardupilot or the Blade 350.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How upgradeable is the Blade 350?  I have narrowed it down to either the DJI 450 with ardupilot or the Blade 350.
View Quote

I personally can't tell you, but I love the bird just the way it is.  The 450 being on an open frame should be easily upgradeable though.  The QX just seems to fit my current plans and after I get my Aquacopter built and FPV in I should be set to start shooting some Of my videos I have in my head.  Waiting on my gimbal to arrive from China will be my biggest problem.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#47]
If I did go with the Blade 350, then the first thing I would want to add is Telemetry.  After that, would be a FatShark.  Adding these to the DJI 450 is easy.  Has anyone done these mods to their Blade?
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Glad to hear it.

My fixed wing is on 433mhz for control and 5.8ghz for video.    GoPro shouldnt give me any fits.

Fun having in a ground effect hover bouncing along the floor.   The cats are not impressed.   My thumbs dont have the fine motor skills to keep steady throttle while turning.  Hand eye coordination will come eventually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to hear it.

You will be unpleasantly surprised. A goPro emits a ton of noise at 433 too. Copper foil works better than Al and looks better too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You will be unpleasantly surprised. A goPro emits a ton of noise at 433 too. Copper foil works better than Al and looks better too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to hear it.

I'm hoping that the heavy duty aluminum foil will be all I need.  I really don't want to put foil tape on as it will be more permanent and I use these cameras for a lot of other activities besides quad flying,  Regular aluminum foil may or may not work.  I have read conflicting stories on each.  It would be nice if the RC and gopro manufacturers could acknowledge the problem and find a solution once and for all.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to hear it.

Got my first flights with FPV yesterday.   Three in a row, smoked the ground wire from my ESC because my universal BEC/lowvoltage warning system didnt dead pin the pos/neg.   The BEC/low voltage system probably saved my receiver.

Third flight I put the gopro on.   It is only a hero2 with no wifi capability.   I am guessing it still has the ability to put off interference but I didnt notice anything in my limited flight of out to 800 yards or so.    I did notice that there is noise being put into the GoPro though either from the motor or from the video TX.   Will be doing an aluminum foil wrap on GoPro to see if video quality gets better.

Cant wait to get a proper glider with folding prop to fly some fpv.   The skysurfer I have needs to have the prop spinning non-stop or it is just a ton of drag.   Flew with some wind which made for great climbs but it sucked trying to fly out to my goal and back.   Used up a ton of energy because I couldnt go into cruise mode.   Flight time was around 6 minutes on a 4s 3400 pack, landed and had 3.85 volts average per cell so I have a little bit of fudge room.    Low voltage indicator worked like a champ with it placed in view of the FPV camera.

Eventually I will get a flying wing and really get after it.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top