Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/4/2014 6:34:31 AM EDT
Hey all, I am looking at getting a .308 bolt gun for some possible deer hunting along with distance shooting for fun. I have a budget of about $700 for the rifle then probably around $200-250 on glass. I have been recommended the Remington 700 AAC-sd but want some other option to look at. I have access to about a 450-500 yard range that I'd use the rifle at for fun. I have been shooting AR's for about 2-3 years now and want to move over to something more technical. I am on a college student budget so I will probably be shooting just bulk ammo most of the time so take that into account but may use the match ammo in the future when money becomes available. So GD hit me with some advice/recommendations. also here's a picture of the GF cause rules are meant to be followed....

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#1]
nice looking gf. dont cheap out on glass. the 700 is very popular with a lot of aftermarket. i went with a savage 10ba but its pretty heavy and way out of your price range
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Savage hog hunter in 308
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Savage hog hunter in 308
View Quote

That.  

B&C Medalist stock.
Harris Bipod
mount+glass of your choice.

Great budget bolt gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Tikka, all day.  It's right around your budget depending on which model you get.  My .243 (ss, synthetic) was just a little over $600 a year ago.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Got an email from CDNN today. They have the Remington 700 SPS Tactical on sale for $699 or $599 depending on which set up you get. They have the 20" barrel. Not sure how much they weigh. May be too heavy for a walk around gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#6]
savage 110 in .308
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Savage hog hunter in 308
View Quote

This.

Savage has the best "out of the box" and "cheap"  .308 shooter on the market. This model is sweet too,
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest upping your budget for your scope. You can get a good gun in your price range, but the scope could be a lot better.

As for the gun, weatherby vanguard has a couple options that will do the trick. Very accurate in my experience.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#9]
As someone who shoots long range often, take my word when I say that you need to budget more for optics.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:43:50 AM EDT
[#10]
standby, in a day or so I will post for sale a 1994 dated Synthetic Kevlar Remington 700 for $700. This is the pre Cerebus Remington700 that has the HS precision alunimum beded stock, free floating 26 inch heavy barrel, a sweet 2-3 pound trigger tuned by a gunsmith and a camo job. Not up on ad yet since I'll be picking up a Robar SR-60 today and after that its up in the market

email me if interested, i'll send you some pictures of the gun and the groupings I was able to get with 168 hornady reload
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As someone who shoots long range often, take my word when I say that you need to budget more for optics.
View Quote

Long term I would agree easily.

Beginner at plinking range?  Bushnell Elite 3200 10x, SWFA SuperSnipers... some decent glass at lower end of range, not great by any means, but workable out to 500 with bulk ammo.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#12]
And on the third day, God created the Remington bolt action rifle. So man could fight off the dinosaurs.............And the homosexuals.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Spend $700 on optic and $250 on used Savage or Remington bolt gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#14]
'nother vote for Savage. Great rifles for the $$.  Hell great rifles period.  

I have an older 10FP 26" that is a tack driver.  For 500 yards you might get away with a shorter barrel than mine but you also might start missing some of that FPS.  I also have a Savage bolt carbine in the family, the one with the digi camo stock.  It's a 20" BBL and out to about 250 I can't see any difference in accuracy.   I miss the cheek pad and adjust-ability of my butt ass ugly choate stock but that carbine is actually useful for hunting.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Another shout for Savage.  Make sure you get an Accutrigger.  

Don't skimp on glass.  Save up and get good glass.

My best hunting buddy constantly gives me shit for buying scopes that are sometimes more expensive than the rifle.  Then when we go out on a half moon lit night and he needs a bright light to shoot coyotes I just laugh and keep shooting with no light at all.  It does make a difference.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had good performance from both Remington 700 and Ruger Mk77.

Spend more on glass (its really that important) , if you don't have the tools to properly mount a scope, pay to have it done.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Another shout for Savage.  Make sure you get an Accutrigger.  

Don't skimp on glass.  Save up and get good glass.

My best hunting buddy constantly gives me shit for buying scopes that are sometimes more expensive than the rifle.  Then when we go out on a half moon lit night and he needs a bright light to shoot coyotes I just laugh and keep shooting with no light at all.  It does make a difference.
View Quote

I'm agreeing with this.  I like Remingtons but a friend of mine just got a tactical Savage setup that is very nice.  Good info on good glass.  Be sure you have a plan for feeding it quality ammo (plan on buying quality ammo or reloading setup) and have access to a range where such a rifle will be fun to shoot (it's a waste to shoot such a gun at 100 or even 200 yard ranges).
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I know you guys are all about brand new guns but what about a pre '64 Winchester .308?
I have one that my Dad used and it took down everything from groundhogs to Mule deer at 300 yards.

This weekend I shot 1 inch groups at 100 yards from a makeshift card table, bench.

You can find a used one for $500 in fair to good condition or possibly 7-800 with a decent scope.
It's also a bad ass gun in .270.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Tikka T3

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:02:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
standby, in a day or so I will post for sale a 1994 dated Synthetic Kevlar Remington 700 for $700. This is the pre Cerebus Remington700 that has the HS precision alunimum beded stock, free floating 26 inch heavy barrel, a sweet 2-3 pound trigger tuned by a gunsmith and a camo job. Not up on ad yet since I'll be picking up a Robar SR-60 today and after that its up in the market

email me if interested, i'll send you some pictures of the gun and the groupings I was able to get with 168 hornady reload
View Quote

Is there anything wrong with this gun? I would be very interested if it is a good starter rifle. Sending email.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I like 30-06 in bolt guns.
308 is better in semi auto's
but its less of a difference if your just going to be using bulk ammo to punch paper and not reloading or hunting with it.

cant go wrong with the 700 or savage 10

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:05:43 AM EDT
[#22]
As a longtime Remington fan, I'll have to say Tikka for new, out of the box happiness. They come with rings, too, but that would be one of my first upgrades.

Don't skimp on glass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would suggest upping your budget for your scope. You can get a good gun in your price range, but the scope could be a lot better.

As for the gun, weatherby vanguard has a couple options that will do the trick. Very accurate in my experience.
View Quote

Okay seem to be that I need to upgrade my optic budget. Would bumping it up to $300-400 be better?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#24]
a bit more after a re-read.  If you popping deer at 200 or less with bulk ammo you can get away with bushnell offerings, and you will be pretty happy.  

When you want to get serious find a good gunsmith in your area, purchase talley rings, real optics, once you use nightforce, S&B, etc there is no comparison.  good glass is fucking epic.  I started out like you, paying for the stuff myself.
As i got paid more i bought better glass, stuff like positive movement in reticle when you move turrets and paralax knob on the side make life easier.
nightforce is supposed to have an offering at $999 which, if it maintains what the rest of them have in terms of quality, is superb.  Like I have two rifles that get new glass this year.

Get the guy to properly set everything up, Rifle Shooter has a good article on installing scopes, its not just screw stuff on.  Not saying you can't do it, but a good smith will probably save you some pain in the ass.

From there as money permits:

get a reloading setup.
take a look at bedding option from your smith.
take a look at aftermarket triggers that break like a glass rod at 2lbs
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I just bought a 700 AAC and Vortex  Viper PST 2.5x-10x.  Hopefully the scope comes in this week and I get a chance to shot it
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#26]
FN SPR
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As a longtime Remington fan, I'll have to say Tikka for new, out of the box happiness. They come with rings, too, but that would be one of my first upgrades.

Don't skimp on glass.
View Quote

I didn't bother with their rings; I got a one-piece DNZ.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
a bit more after a re-read.  If you popping deer at 200 or less with bulk ammo you can get away with bushnell offerings, and you will be pretty happy.  

When you want to get serious find a good gunsmith in your area, purchase talley rings, real optics, once you use nightforce, S&B, etc there is no comparison.  good glass is fucking epic.  I started out like you, paying for the stuff myself.
As i got paid more i bought better glass, stuff like positive movement in reticle when you move turrets and paralax knob on the side make life easier.
nightforce is supposed to have an offering at $999 which, if it maintains what the rest of them have in terms of quality, is superb.  Like I have two rifles that get new glass this year.

Get the guy to properly set everything up, Rifle Shooter has a good article on installing scopes, its not just screw stuff on.  Not saying you can't do it, but a good smith will probably save you some pain in the ass.

get a reloading setup.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. My step-dad has been talking about setting me up with his friend who reloads all kinds of ammo to teach me. Also my step-dad knows some guys at sig sauer academy that could set my scope up for a small fee and that will most likely be the route I will take to do this since my only experience is zeroing an Eotech. Also general question to all would I be best off Selling my EoTech XPS2-0 and using the funds for that towards a good scope?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Asked the GF
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#30]
You can't go wrong with Remington, savage, or browning.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Okay seem to be that I need to upgrade my optic budget. Would bumping it up to $300-400 be better?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the performance/price sweet spot in mid-power scopes IMO.  You can get a pretty nice Vortex/Nikon/Bushnell for that, and you're shooting bulk ammo for the time being anyway.  You're not going to be shooting dime-sized circles.  Go to the SWFA forums or Sniper's Hide and do a little reading.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm actually in the same boat. I'm down to Rem 700 or Tikka.

Haven't heard about Savage yet.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Beginner at plinking range?  Bushnell Elite 3200 10x, SWFA SuperSnipers... some decent glass at lower end of range, not great by any means, but workable out to 500 with bulk ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the nikon BDC's and monarchs can be had for $350 and under. I have a BDC on a .300WSM that has held up great, think it was about $250
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I just bought a 700 AAC and Vortex  Viper PST 2.5x-10x.  Hopefully the scope comes in this week and I get a chance to shot it
View Quote
Best value scope on the market.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#35]
700 SPS Tactical.  Put decent glass on it and you're gtg.

Nice gf.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a Remmy 700 SPS Tactical with an old Bushnell scope and shot this 5 round group at 100 yards. Less than 50 rounds through it at the time and I don't shoot nearly as much as I would like to. It's not the best group that's ever been shot but it ain't bad either
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd pick up a used Savage with the Accu-Trigger and put the rest in glass
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more money, the better. But vortex makes very good optics for a good price. I've shot through a few and liked them all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Spend $700 on optic and $250 on used Savage or Remington bolt gun.
View Quote

Thats what I'd do. Or look for a used rifle with a decent scope already installed.

My .308 bolt gun is a Savage model 10 "precision carbine" with a VXIII. If I had to replace it today I'd buy another one just like it, might go with a Nightforce scope this time though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was tough deciding on glass.  I didn't want too much power because I don't have anywhere to shoot long range and I want to kill deer with the rifle.   Hopefully this fits the bill.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice. My step-dad has been talking about setting me up with his friend who reloads all kinds of ammo to teach me. Also my step-dad knows some guys at sig sauer academy that could set my scope up for a small fee and that will most likely be the route I will take to do this since my only experience is zeroing an Eotech. Also general question to all would I be best off Selling my EoTech XPS2-0 and using the funds for that towards a good scope?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

get a reloading setup.

my opinion is based on the assumed use of the rifle.  I think every man should have one accurate, well configured, bolt action rifle.  So i am biased.  308 is a great round and fun to shoot.

I would spend as much on the glass and rings as you can reasonably afford to do.  Scopes last years and unless you are willing to dump them in 3 years for better stuff, you have to live with them.  

To me the rifle is made by the scope, rings, and trigger.  I haven't shot any quality makers rifle, even the cheaper ones, that weren't accurate with some time and effort.  But boy I have owned and used some shitty glass.

Having someone set the rig up for you is great,  getting reloading experience is even better.  Free knowledge is a great thing, jump on that.

Reloading is the fastest way to a truly accurate rig, control of ammo.  ammo is always the weak link, you will settle for OK or you will be paying more for high dollar ammo to get the results you want.

Hell you may get lucky, I have an old 700 that runs 150 NBT from federal as well as my handloads.

Another poster may be able to identify a brand of optics that they have used in addition to really high end glass that comes close  I can't say that after years of trying I have found a magic scope that meets that mark.

I can say I have been exceptionally pleased with Nightforce in its price range, and nikon on beater / loaner guns.

The good thing is the rifle becomes a project, take your time to build it the right way, the important thing is to avoid rework.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Put at a minimum the same into the glass that you put into the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#43]
T3 or a browning X-bolt
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#44]
700 SPS Tactical.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a Savage 10-FCP-SR. They are nice.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I bought a ruger m77 hawk eye in 308 for around 500 bucks, then a used Super Sniper x6 power for around 150. 65 bucks for 30mm rings.

I am very happy. Lightweight, nice trigger and smooth action.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#47]
So After much discussion I have looked at these two very seriously Savage 11 hog hunter and the Remington 700 sps AAC Is the hog hunter a good rifle out of the box? I like the price since I can put more money into a good optic.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#48]
remington aac w/ 16.5" barrel

/thread
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Gee no poll option for the Ruger M-77.

Anyone care to explain their personal experiences?  

(I actually think the Tikka should be your 1st choice).
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Gee no poll option for the Ruger M-77.

Anyone care to explain their personal experiences?  

(I actually think the Tikka should be your 1st choice).
View Quote

Got a link and price? I have very little bolt gun experience and took the most voted and one of the best budgeted rifles that was voted as the two option posted. After what people have been saying I'm thinking about at 400-500 rifle then dropping 400-500 on a scope.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top