Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Double tap due to a glitch in the matrix
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Not efficient from a fuel consumption / passenger load standpoint.  Makes the tickets more expensive.  A widebody plane can get considerably more people across the ocean in twice the time, with lower fuel consumption.  The concorde was designed when gas/oil was cheap, the oil embargo of the early 70's made it considerably more expensive to operate than the designers had planned for.  Finally, Airbus decided to stop providing spares, dooming the small fleet.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How fast?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Highest I've heard when I've asked is "niner two"

Link Posted: 2/3/2014 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Although I generally believe that the less said about Air France and British Airways, the better, I do feel obligated to say a few things about Air France and British Airways's blasphemous ideas. I assume you already know that Air France and British Airways's vassals are just as bad as Air France and British Airways is, if not worse, but I have something more important to tell you. He is locked into his present course of destruction. He does not have the interest or the will to change his fundamentally benighted tracts. Since he claims to know more than the rest of us, I'm sure he's aware that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Of course, if Air France and British Airways had learned anything from history, he'd know that I wonder if he really believes the things he says. He knows they're not true, doesn't he? Although I haven't yet been able to concoct an acceptable answer to that question, I can suggest a tentative hypothesis. My hypothesis is that he has been trying for some time to convince people that he answers to no one. Don't believe his hype! Air France and British Airways has just been offering that line as a means to hammer away at the characters of all those who will not help him convince impressionable young people that he has the linguistic prowess to produce a masterwork of meritorious literature.

Air France and British Airways's effete proposed social programs arose out of an unjust system only to spread more injustice in their wake, proving that there is no end to headstrong, jackbooted nepotism. This means, in particular, that just the other day, some of Air France and British Airways's subversive, treacherous devotees forced a prospectus into my hands as I walked past. The prospectus described Air France and British Airways's blueprint for a world in which gin-swilling, carnaptious cadgers are free to sell us down the river. As I dropped the prospectus onto an overflowing wastebasket I reflected upon the way that Air France and British Airways doubtlessly wants me to choke to death. If I did, I'm sure the chortles from Air France and British Airways and his coalition of deceitful finks and incorrigible nudniks would be rich and prolonged, especially given how I fully intend to supply the missing ingredient that could stop the worldwide slide into Stalinism. That's the path that I have chosen. It's certainly not an easy path, but then again, I'm not a psychiatrist. Sometimes, though, I wish I were, so that I could better understand what makes people like Air France and British Airways want to unleash a wave of immorality and promiscuity.

Now here is something that will stun and very likely outrage many who read this: I am troubled by Air France and British Airways's constant exaggerations and half-truths. If you don't believe me then consider that one can usually be pretty sure when he's lying. Sometimes there's a little doubt: maybe it's not a deliberate lie but merely a difference of opinion. But when Air France and British Airways claims that he is a master of precognition, psychokinesis, remote viewing, and other undeveloped human capabilities, there's no room for ambiguity: he's decidedly lying. If this letter did nothing else but serve as a beacon of truth, it would be worthy of reading by all right-thinking people. However, this letter's role is much greater than just to speak out against pestilential ragabashes. Air France and British Airways's favorite activities all involve threatening the common good. Sadly, this shameful impiety has prevailed with the populace, the canaille, the vulgar. It appeals to squalid practitioners of favoritism and prevents them from seeing that Air France and British Airways is a man utterly without honor, without principles, without a shred of genuine patriotism. That's why I say that overbearing, loquacious ninnies have increasingly been bombarding me with insults. Air France and British Airways has a lot to answer for in regard to that. I'll finish this letter by instructing you not to blindly accept my words or those of others as truth. Investigate, discriminate, and question everything not proven. Only by doing so can you determine for yourself that Air France and British Airways is the spawn of Satan.
View Quote

..... huh?
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What does that even mean?  
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I asked him how fast he was flying he said he was doing Mach . 92
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mach .92

Eta too slow
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
too expensive to maintain, too restricted as to where it could be used, too few passengers could fit onboard, and it never made a profit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Doesn't it cost way more per hour to operate an executive jet not to mention the costs of buying and operating one?

Link Posted: 2/3/2014 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I do miss feeling the roar of the French and British SSTs going over my house.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I do miss feeling the roar of the French and British SSTs going over my house.
View Quote

Me too.

Grew up in the flight path of JFK.
Depending on the winds/weather, we were sometimes the "gear down" point for many planes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mach .92

ETA: Response was Mach .00

Link Posted: 2/3/2014 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Concorde was a fucking dud. A waste of money. A government sponsored boondoggle.

Still, they were fun to watch and listen to.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

..... huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Although I generally believe that the less said about Air France and British Airways, the better, I do feel obligated to say a few things about Air France and British Airways's blasphemous ideas. I assume you already know that Air France and British Airways's vassals are just as bad as Air France and British Airways is, if not worse, but I have something more important to tell you. He is locked into his present course of destruction. He does not have the interest or the will to change his fundamentally benighted tracts. Since he claims to know more than the rest of us, I'm sure he's aware that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Of course, if Air France and British Airways had learned anything from history, he'd know that I wonder if he really believes the things he says. He knows they're not true, doesn't he? Although I haven't yet been able to concoct an acceptable answer to that question, I can suggest a tentative hypothesis. My hypothesis is that he has been trying for some time to convince people that he answers to no one. Don't believe his hype! Air France and British Airways has just been offering that line as a means to hammer away at the characters of all those who will not help him convince impressionable young people that he has the linguistic prowess to produce a masterwork of meritorious literature.

Air France and British Airways's effete proposed social programs arose out of an unjust system only to spread more injustice in their wake, proving that there is no end to headstrong, jackbooted nepotism. This means, in particular, that just the other day, some of Air France and British Airways's subversive, treacherous devotees forced a prospectus into my hands as I walked past. The prospectus described Air France and British Airways's blueprint for a world in which gin-swilling, carnaptious cadgers are free to sell us down the river. As I dropped the prospectus onto an overflowing wastebasket I reflected upon the way that Air France and British Airways doubtlessly wants me to choke to death. If I did, I'm sure the chortles from Air France and British Airways and his coalition of deceitful finks and incorrigible nudniks would be rich and prolonged, especially given how I fully intend to supply the missing ingredient that could stop the worldwide slide into Stalinism. That's the path that I have chosen. It's certainly not an easy path, but then again, I'm not a psychiatrist. Sometimes, though, I wish I were, so that I could better understand what makes people like Air France and British Airways want to unleash a wave of immorality and promiscuity.

Now here is something that will stun and very likely outrage many who read this: I am troubled by Air France and British Airways's constant exaggerations and half-truths. If you don't believe me then consider that one can usually be pretty sure when he's lying. Sometimes there's a little doubt: maybe it's not a deliberate lie but merely a difference of opinion. But when Air France and British Airways claims that he is a master of precognition, psychokinesis, remote viewing, and other undeveloped human capabilities, there's no room for ambiguity: he's decidedly lying. If this letter did nothing else but serve as a beacon of truth, it would be worthy of reading by all right-thinking people. However, this letter's role is much greater than just to speak out against pestilential ragabashes. Air France and British Airways's favorite activities all involve threatening the common good. Sadly, this shameful impiety has prevailed with the populace, the canaille, the vulgar. It appeals to squalid practitioners of favoritism and prevents them from seeing that Air France and British Airways is a man utterly without honor, without principles, without a shred of genuine patriotism. That's why I say that overbearing, loquacious ninnies have increasingly been bombarding me with insults. Air France and British Airways has a lot to answer for in regard to that. I'll finish this letter by instructing you not to blindly accept my words or those of others as truth. Investigate, discriminate, and question everything not proven. Only by doing so can you determine for yourself that Air France and British Airways is the spawn of Satan.

..... huh?

Random letter generator. Just plug in names and the computer spits this out.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Expensive as hell to operate and many cities had noise ordinances in place that wouldn't allow the jet to operate at full speed.
View Quote
This. pretty simple really. Not enough long runways either. Too many people dont want to spend 1K+ just to fly. I hate spending 600. Fuck what that thing must have cost. Airfare is insane these days.

Link Posted: 2/3/2014 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#18]
With the ever expanding security measures and customs processing times, cutting commercial aviation flight times by 1/2 becomes almost pointless.  The flight times for a transatlantic crossing just aren't long enough to warrant the fuel expense.

A stronger case for SST could be made for transpacific crossings, but Concorde didn't have the legs for that, and nobody's going to build a commercial transport that can, certainly not with TSA standing by to piss on the fire of innovation.

Even with subsonic commercial transport, there's just no point.  TSA's going to eat your lunch after you spend billions in development costs to move your cruise point from 0.85M to 0.98M.  They'll just add more knuckledraggers to the process to slow you down, inconvenience you, humiliate you, and insult you.

General aviation skips all of this knuckledragging, so you really can benefit from the reduced flight time of moving your cruise point from 0.8M to 0.92M.

And, Barack Obama tried his best to piss all over that, too.

And finally, something the government can't fuck with ...
Fd = 1/2 * rho * V^2 * A * Cd = $$$
if you want V, it's going to cost you A or $, or most likely both.
Ooops, my bad.  Carbon footprint.  So, yeah they can fuck with that by declaring that you don't meet their efficiency mandates, you know, because they know what your time is worth to you, better than you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That and expensive as hell to buy a ticket. Not so great safety rating too. That last crash in 2000 was the nail in the coffin. It wasn't a very efficient jet either, more like "Hey look what I built! Want to ride?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Expensive as hell to operate and many cities had noise ordinances in place that wouldn't allow the jet to operate at full speed.

That and expensive as hell to buy a ticket. Not so great safety rating too. That last crash in 2000 was the nail in the coffin. It wasn't a very efficient jet either, more like "Hey look what I built! Want to ride?"

Actually it did have a great safety rating. That was the only crash in its almost 27 years of operation.

Link Posted: 2/3/2014 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I passed on a ride in one for a couple hundred bucks. Just a short hop over Canadian airspace.

They were at the Oshkosh Fly In several years.  Amazing aircraft to watch do touch and goes.

Max performance takeoff from a start shook the earth, and anyone within a mile or so of the flightline.
View Quote

YES!!!  I was there in the mid 1980's and stood next to the main runway as one did a touch and go.  Pilot was piped in over the PA system and talked to the crowd as he did it.  One of the most amazing things I've ever seen.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#21]
When I flew to France in 1997, I landed in CGD and there were quite a few of them parked close to the airport.  They were a lot smaller than you would imagine.  2 seats on either side of a center isle and only 25 rows, 100 seats total.   ALL first class, first class size seats and service.   I was told that the price was $10,000 each way.  If i had won the lottery, i would have made one of those flights before they shut it down.

I have been to a customer or two who had flown the concorde and they had certificates in frames stating that they had flown from here to there, on the concord and the speed was X.X mach  etc...  mainly something to put in a frame and brag about.  

But going from NYC to London or Paris in 3 hours sure does sound a lot better than the flight I had.

I am sorry that it was not a money maker and that it only serviced about 5 or 6 cities in the world.  But I sure wish i had a chance to fly on it.

S

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I saw he first test landing at Kennedy, it was an incredible sight.
View Quote

I saw a Concorde on the tarmac at Kennedy amongst the Jumbo-Jets, back in '93.  It looked like a little toy in comparison.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
1/2 * rho * V^2 * A * Cd
View Quote

^^^^^^
Because of this, Boeing's attempt at an SST could only fly from SF to LA before running low on fuel.

Running the SST was like running Amtrak.  It was not going anywhere without losing money and requiring government assistance.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You can say that again!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is one butt-ugly airframe.

You can say that again!

Lol
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#25]
High operating costs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 2:09:23 AM EDT
[#26]
I saw the Concord at an air show in Duluth, MN many years ago. They got permission to fly over Canada, and then south into the USA over  Lake Superior. It was subsonic in USA air space. It was the Concord's only landing in the USA outside of the east coastr airport (New York; can't remember which one it used).

Even flying subsonic, it was LOUD. Loud like a Harrier jet taking off, loud.

I can see why it wasn't allowed to fly into other USA airports. And that doomed the program.

It was cool to see it. That HUGE delta wing sure looked strange. During landings, the nose pivoted down, so the pilot(s) could see the runway. Very strange to see that, too.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 2:16:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Sure was a beautiful plane.

When I was a kid I lived under its flight path. It would take off from Kennedy, head out over Long Island and then turn to head out over the ocean right over my town before going supersonic.

I used to lie in my yard and watch it pass overhead.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 2:20:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 2:58:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They were actually limited to JFK-LHR. They couldn't fly from LHR to LAX, or routes like that due to noise. So their revenue was/is very limited.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't most of the flight over the ocean? ie JFK to LHR

They were actually limited to JFK-LHR. They couldn't fly from LHR to LAX, or routes like that due to noise. So their revenue was/is very limited.

They flew into Columbus Ohio 3 or 4 times a year. Port Columbus  at the time.  Columbus International now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 3:00:56 AM EDT
[#30]
As you look more into it, it's clear what really killed the Concorde.

Liberals.

From pissing blood from sonic booms to the beginnings of the ozone scam, it was hysterics from retards that really did it in.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 3:06:09 AM EDT
[#31]

SSMHC- super sonic mile high club.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 3:47:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Growing up in New England we could hear the faint "boom" from a Concorde, most days, IIRC, about 9am and 5pm. I guess they were at altitude then, so it really wasn't oppressive, particularly considering that I grew up next to a dairy farm. So many sounds and smells.

ETA: Regarding noise issues, can you imagine the bitching if the XB-70 had ever seen widespread service?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Nice ride. Very classy looking. How fast?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 4:01:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I wish they still had the Concordes around.....then I would have to be on an airplane 24 hours to get to Thailand!  
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

9-11 played a big role in the demise of the Concorde.
View Quote
Yup, a large percentage of it's clientele died on 9/11.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#36]
One came to Ft. Lauderdale when the newer terminal opened, and I got to see it then. It also had to fire the burners and go around on the first pass because a small aircraft turned onto the runway. I bet THAT pilot got his ass busted. That was a a lot of fuel, a gasp from the VIP crowd, and an international incident.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#37]
They were essentially government subsidized.

ETA - here's a pic of Queen Elizabeth riding in one.  She would often charter one for exclusive use when travelling abroad.  Big $$$!

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Because it was a money loser from the start.  The Gov's behind he were subsidizing it to keep it going.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Would it be more viable with 2010s engine tech and aerodynamics vs. 1970s engine tech and aerodynamics as well as more composite construction?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 5:56:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I saw it when it flew into Rochester, NY to carry the European Ryder Cup team here.   The event was staged at Oak Hill Golf Course in 1995.   Awesome looking in the air.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Crazy expensive, but VERY cool. Service was brilliant.

At 60,000 feet you could see the curvature of the earth and up to to black of space.

3 hours and 20 min flight was neat. Hangout in London for the day, leave at 6pm as it was dark.
Chase the sun and pass the terminator (solar line that separate day and night) and have dinner with your friends in NYC.

Top on my list so when I found out it was leaving service I just had to do it.
View Quote

Very cool !
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#42]
never gonna bring it back.

nobody is gonna pay $10K for a ticket and STILL have to put up with some obese loser with a phony badge grope their crotch.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

nobody is gonna pay $10K for a ticket and STILL have to put up with some obese loser with a phony badge grope their crotch.
View Quote
they'd probably have their own terminal and entrance with hand picked TSA staff.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Malaysia and India both prohibited supersonic overflights. LA to Tokyo is 5474 miles, the Concorde maxed out at 4488 miles, so a fuel stop at Hawaii would be required, not a great selling point for a plane built on speed.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm actually surprised no one has setup an asian route for an SST.  Some long flights!  LAX could handle it.

Malaysia and India both prohibited supersonic overflights. LA to Tokyo is 5474 miles, the Concorde maxed out at 4488 miles, so a fuel stop at Hawaii would be required, not a great selling point for a plane built on speed.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yes, but what we are talking about in this thread is a next generation SST. It would make sense that they could make the new model consume less fuel, have more seats, and possibly be quieter until sonic boom time.
It wouldn't be a plane for everyone but I could see some people willing to pay to cut a few hours off a flight.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Like many things, it could not operate profitably without Goverment subsidies. Pretty sure that tit just went dry.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

wait - I thought that's what I was paying for!
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

As you look more into it, it's clear what really killed the Concorde.

Liberals.

From pissing blood from sonic booms to the beginnings of the ozone scam, it was hysterics from retards that really did it in.
View Quote

I agree with this.

Without all the restrictions, it would have been significantly more cost effective to operate.  Perhaps even enough to get legs in the long term.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top