Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
OK Cope you have to show me how to post my own pics. I'm following the directions of the UBB Board Code, but it doesn't work. Riddler, I'm surprised to see you getting a type 2 on your carbine. When I ordered mine they said, "type 1 only on the carbine!" I called a couple of days later and got the same response. Finally after they had me at their facility and I had a private 90 minute tour, I was able to get a type two on my carbine. They swapped barrels with a type2 rifle they had. The production manager said it was only the second STG-58A type2 carbine to leave the company and the other one went to an employee. Basically he implied I had the only type2 carbine available to the public.

So Riddler, if you do in fact get a type2 carbine, let me know.

BTW I was just looking at the DSA catalog and all of their $1500-$1700 rifles say they come with type1 receivers. Go figure....
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Cope:  Type 1 receiver...
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cope:  Type 1 receiver...
View Quote

You already said that in your other post.  I was just curious if it was a DSA receivered STG 58 you bought for $600 NIB.  If it is, you DID run across a bargain. :^)
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Will do guys! I just called up my dealer and he told me that delivery will be between 1 to 2 weeks.

I really do hope that you guys are not joking when you said that this rifle is worth the wait.

I already quit smoking almost two years ago. Does someone make patches to control the urge to buy a new gun (in the meantime)? I sure am shaking already! [;)]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#5]
NewShot,

I think it is all in the photopoint software.  You used the correct code to post the pic, but you just chose the wrong pic to link to. It's kind of odd.  I can take your link info and copy/paste it in another browser window, and the pic will come up in the photopoint "album" where you can cycle through all the pics.  If you will right click on the pic after it opens within the "album", it will give you different properties. Those are the ones I used.  Very minor differences.  You are on the right track.

Yours

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1518209&a=11475378&p=46071923&f=0

Mine

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1518209&a=11475378&p=46071923&Sequence=0
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#6]
DSA built my Imbel kit upper, I had them put on a carbine barrel. when I went to pick it up John showed me their line of carbines,STG58A carbine, SA58 carbine, stainless carbine, these things look great. the latter two being all american made. very nice, there is nothing these guys wont do for a customer, they went beyond my expectations. I'll try again to post a pic but it may not work so I"ll post a link to the carbine barrel
[url]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1633910&a=12706572[/url]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1633910&a=12706572&p=4722803[/img].
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Yard Dog--

In the "group pic"--is the 2nd one from the left what I think it is?

You said you got your gun from DSA--do they do over the counter sales?  They are near my relatives, so I would love to get there to check them out.

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#8]
YardDog, John's the man! He's the guy that showed me around. AFARR they don't do OTC sales, and occasionally the may haev a customer come in, but not often. The had an unexpected delay with my carbine, so to keep me happy they told me to stop by sometime and check things out. Awesome facility with allot of ccol stuff. You should see all of their "don't tell any one about this" class 3 stuff for LE and military. Riddler it is worth the wait, but keep in mind guys those of you who ordered a carbine will be in for a "little" recoil.

Thanks Cope, I will give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone fired a 16" carbine in low light?

I was leaning towards the standard, as I like military pattern rifles but all the carbine talk is swaying me.  

I really like the looks of the carbine, but wondered if it would look like Puff the Magic Dragon at night.  I'm not too worried about it being loud as I'm told my shorty AK is loud and it's never bothered me
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I really like the looks of the carbine, but wondered if it would look like Puff the Magic Dragon at night.  
View Quote

Picture how a .223 belches fire from a 16" crowned barrel (no hider)

Now DOUBLE the powder, with a same length barrel.

Oh yeah, you got a flame thrower baby!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]blackrifle.tripod.com/stg-58_imbel_layered.jpg[/img]

Here is one of my STG-58's.  It is a CAI gun.  Never had a problem.  It is all styer on an Imbel and the barrel is flawless.  Also have another gun built on an Imbel, looks just like this one above.  That was built with Styer parts also.  Again barrel looks like new.  Someone posted that DSA bought most in not all the styer kits.  I don't think that is true but what they did do was hold on to the ones they had.  They sold upper halves and lower halves for like $100. each then you needed the bolt and carrier and other parts.  You would end up with $350. in a parts kit.  Well a year to 18 months ago you could buy those kits for $150. and have everything but a receiver.  Thats what I did.  Now the excellent kits are hard to come by and very expensive.    

If you buy the DSA built gun, you can get it for $795 if your FFL will agree to it.  If you are paying DSA direct with your CC or money order, your FFL should not have a problem doing that.  DSA will sell those guns to FFL holders for $795. but most of us buying guns over the net and having them transfered deal directly with the place that has the rifle and then use the local FFL just to do a transfer.  Only way I can see a dealer not doing this for someone is if he has these rifles on his rack, but most dealers don't.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you buy the DSA built gun, you can get it for $795 if your FFL will agree to it.  If you are paying DSA direct with your CC or money order, your FFL should not have a problem doing that.  DSA will sell those guns to FFL holders for $795. but most of us buying guns over the net and having them transfered deal directly with the place that has the rifle and then use the local FFL just to do a transfer.  Only way I can see a dealer not doing this for someone is if he has these rifles on his rack, but most dealers don't.
View Quote

I hear what you are saying.  I was kinda concerned that my local FFL may want a bigger cut on ordering a new rifle from the manufacturer.  I walked in just as he was starting to eat lunch last week.  I told him what I was wanting to do, and that DSA wouldn't send me a price sheet until I faxed them a copy of his FFL.  He just snickered and said "You ain't seen nuthin' yet." (Evidently, other companies make it hard for a non FFL to even call them about an order. dono.) Anyway... he proceeded to reach in a file cabinet, as he was sitting there eating lunch, and handed me the FFL and the telephone.  "Do whatcha gotta do."  This ol country boy of a pwan shop owner FFL that I located a few miles from home orta make a goodern'.  :^)  
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Now we're getting down to the meat of the discussion.  Great points from both camps on this issue.  Still undecided. :^(  

One thing that I DO like about the 21" barrel is the light bipod.  IMO, a carbine shouldn't have a bipod on it.  Nevertheless, I would like the option of installing one if I should encounter a situation that calls for it.  In my mind, the 308 battle rifle was designed for extended distance fire.  This is where the bipod and longer barrel would shine.  hmmm.

Please tell me that the carbine doesn't come with the bipod, and there is no way on God's green earth to install one, so that I can put an end to this discussion. :^)  

Are all these carbines an afterthought, or did Steyr actually produce some of these?

Most appreciative,

Joe

View Quote

Whether a FN-FAL carbine will accept a mil-spec bi-pod is determined by the following:
1. Bi-pod "cut" on the barrel.
2. Standard length gas system.
3. Bi-pod "cuts" on hand guards

Mine is an 18.5" plus Smith brake, CGW custom (L1A1 receiver w/ an early Steyr STG-58 kit upgrade. All required US parts to include wood furniture. While not mounted, I have the original bi-pod / hand guard set in the safe.
Admittedly, lopping 3" (& an ugly flash hider) off the barrel length may have reduced max velocity some insignificant amount, but both ease of handling & appearance are greatly improved!
Some say .308 is overkill for CQB. Point taken. I say however, that you could not ask for a better URB (Urban Road Blocker)!

Sorry about the rant, guys. Just my $0.02. Additional details upon request.
GCF
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Check the photo gallery at Rich's Century Gun Works site. This guy is a master!
GCF

[url]http://www.angelfire.com/nv/cgw[/url]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Blue207,

Excellent report!  Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm of these pieces with us.  

A couple of questions, if I may.

1.  Which brake, if any, do your carbines have on them?

2.  I would think that DSA would do any drilling mods necessary to the gas port to make their carbines function properly.  Are any of yours DSA assembled?

3.  Am I just plain nutz for having a nightmare last night about this rifle?  Seriously.  The last post I read before going to bed last night was your post about how much you enjoy your carbine.  I awoke from a dead sleep when I reached in the box to pull out my new 21" barrelled DSA and I couldn't find the muzzle.  The damn thing was sooooo long, the barrel just kept on coming out of the box as if it had no end. I swear this is true.  I must be losing it, eh?  

Just when I thought I had made up my mind, you come along and give me nightmares.  

Thanks,

Joe
View Quote

Joe,
I use a modified Steyr "short combo device" that has had the length altered by me so it cannot accept an evil bayonet. The device has 4 rows of holes on it and I have it positioned so the top set are at roughly 45 degree angles to the TDC of the barrel, and have enlarged them considerably. I cannot say it has been approved by anybody in particular but I think I could show it does act as a compensator and not just a flash suppressor.
BTW - I cannot tell a whole lot of difference from the flash from my 21" barrel with DSA comp from this one.  

2. The 21" barrel is DSA assembled. The carbine is Entreprise assembled. They cut the barrel and opened the gas port.  
The first carbine I had (notice "had" and not "have") I made from a STG58 kit from A&D Global. I followed the Gunplumbers recommendation for drill bit sizes and had no problems with the function, other that needing to replace the extractor, but that had nothing to do with the gas system.    

Cruise on over to the FAL Files and search for posts about the carbine. Most love it.
I have also found something very neat.
The rear sight is graduated in 100's of meters, starting at 2 for 200, right?
OK - there is some loss of muzzle velocity with a barrel reduction.

With a 16 1/4" bbl you can zero your weapon for a dead on zero at 100 yards and when engaging targets at 200 yards move the rear sight up to the next notch and you are dead on again. I would guess it would be the same all the way to the top of the scale. I have not tried the theory out yet but I cannot see why it would not work.
Find somebody close to where you live with one and compare them would be my suggestion.

[blue]Blue207[/blue]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yard Dog--

In the "group pic"--is the 2nd one from the left what I think it is?

AFARR
View Quote

Anschutz
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#17]
YDO--

Sorry, the Stock fooled me for a little while.  I see the Bolt now.  I have a FWB 300S air rifle with a Beeman SS3 Scope and it is the spitting image (Stock, Front Sight and Scope) of your rifle.  

Anschutz makes Phenomenal guns--someday I'll get one (always swore up and down that I'd have a match grade .22 one day).  

Nice Collection!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Yea, that Anschutz is way more accurate than I am. wow, is it dead on. Trigger pull is at about a half pound, gotta be plenty careful. the raccoons dont have a chance
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#19]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Cope: Type 1 receiver...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You already said that in your other post. I was just curious if it was a DSA receivered STG 58 you bought for $600 NIB. If it is, you DID run across a bargain. :^)

Haha, my misunderstanding....Yes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Finally got it today!

It really is a beauty and very well made.

[:(]Unfortunately, I have more pressing things to attend to so I do not think that I can give you guys a range report anytime soon.

I do have a question, why is my receiver marked "SA58" 308 CAL. SER# DS 1xxxx". I thought that this is an STG58 and not an SA58.

Also, the bipod in the closed position is not really even. Is there a way to adjust it or should I send the bipod back.

Thanks for any info.

riddler
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#21]
The receiver is marked SA58 because DSA built that rifle using one of their own receivers.  I suppose they could have stamped them differently to denote the difference in their product lines.  Otherwise, it's called an STG58 because the remaining non-US parts are from Austrian STG-58 rifles.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Riddler,

I've been awaiting your return with the news of your new toy.

Which brake did they put on your rifle?

Get your tail outside and shoot that rascal. :^)  I have to know what that new barrel weight does to the rifle. (If yours actually came that way.)

Thanks much,

Joe

Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I knew you'd be happy with it. Just a start, now you gotta get the variations. cant have too many FAL's
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Cope,

The brake that they installed on my carbine is just like the pic that you posted but no holes.

YardDogOne,

I definitely will get a 21" in the future. After I finish my AR project, I will start to save up for another one.

Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#25]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Thumbnail?u=1633910&a=12706572&p=47228031&Width=100&Height=100&Sequence=0[/img]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top