Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2014 3:35:28 PM EDT
Alright, I'm not doing a focused campaign against a known anti-gunner up for election like last year.  
This year I'm just going to maintain the lists.  If you know of good pro-2A things a particular candidate for election has done, post something about it, and I'll add them to the list.  Likewise, if we have some stinkers like we did last year, post about them too.
Arfcom Approved List:
J. Kenneth Blackwell

Patricia Clark
Roy Ennis

R. Lee Ermey
Peter J. Printz

Tom Sellek
Linda Walker
Naughty List:
Anthony Colandro
Carl Rowan Jr.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The only one I have bubbled so far is R. Lee Ermey, hoping for input from other, its was mention in the NRA Activism forum that site staff will be posting something soon too.

Pic of the ballot when I first got it
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
(IMO) #9, Charles Cotton is a status quo jackass.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
we know Ermey and Selleck are approved
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Charles Cotton is up for reelection.  He's a lawyer from Texas.  He
helped write Texas' concealed handgun law, and several other pro-2A
pieces of legislation in Texas.  He's also a member of the gun club I
belonged to when I lived in Houston, where he lobbied the club's board
to allow carbines and tactical style rifles to be used in some of the
handgun shooting bays.  Prior to that, the closest range you could shoot
your AR at was 50 yards.

Quoted:

View Quote
There's definitely a feeling among some that he's part of the reason the TSRA takes so long to get anything done in the Texas legislature.  

Other opinions on him?

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking there was a thread awhile back about a former SEAL who was NOT good.  Did I imagine this or did he change his mind about running
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was thinking there was a thread awhile back about a former SEAL who was NOT good.  Did I imagine this or did he change his mind about running
View Quote

He was running for 2015 IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Roy Innis, he's pro-gun but not sure where her stand as far as AWB goes.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcOgOWLCWxw
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From his wiki page:
Innis has long been active in criminal justice matters, including the debate over gun control and the Second Amendment. After losing two sons to criminals with guns, he became an advocate for the rights of law-abiding citizens to self-defense.  An NRA Life Member, he also serves on its governing board.
Innis also chairs the NRA's Urban Affairs Committee and is a member of
the NRA Ethics Committee, and continues to speak publicly in the US and
around the world in favor of individual civilian ownership of firearms,
gun issues, and individual rights.

Honestly, I've never heard of the guy before.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Kenneth Blackwell:

Support from pro-gun organizations

Ken Blackwell has earned an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association’s
(NRA) Political Victory Fund. Blackwell is also endorsed by the Ohio
Gun Collectors Association, Ohioans for Concealed Carry and Gun Owners
of America.

"I unequivocally support the Second Amendment right of every
law-abiding Ohioan to keep and own firearms for hunting, personal
protection and any other lawful purpose," said Blackwell. "I am proud to
receive the NRA’s highest rating and will be an unflinching advocate
for gun owners as governor."

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Charles Cotton is up for reelection.  He's a lawyer from Texas.  He helped write Texas' concealed handgun law, and several other pro-2A pieces of legislation in Texas.  He's also a member of the gun club I belonged to when I lived in Houston, where he lobbied the club's board to allow carbines and tactical style rifles to be used in some of the handgun shooting bays.  Prior to that, the closest range you could shoot your AR at was 50 yards.

There's definitely a feeling among some that he's part of the reason the TSRA takes so long to get anything done in the Texas legislature.  

Other opinions on him?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Charles Cotton is up for reelection.  He's a lawyer from Texas.  He helped write Texas' concealed handgun law, and several other pro-2A pieces of legislation in Texas.  He's also a member of the gun club I belonged to when I lived in Houston, where he lobbied the club's board to allow carbines and tactical style rifles to be used in some of the handgun shooting bays.  Prior to that, the closest range you could shoot your AR at was 50 yards.

Quoted:

Other opinions on him?

I attended a Firearms CLE on Texas law where Charles Cotton spoke and talked with him briefly.  He would get my vote just on his past accomplishments to get us where we are.  He has some valid concerns that we may be creating future problems for RKBA with our success in rolling back firearms law; but he is a solid plus for RKBA - if for no other reason than he is out there every day working to promote it.

In other news, Patricia A. Clark was not a choice of the NRA Nominating Committee but was backed by the Knox clan and some other outsider groups.  She successfully won and appears to be nominating committee approved now.  Beyond that, don't know much about her. R. Lee Ermey was another non-committee choice.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From his wiki page:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From his wiki page:

Innis has long been active in criminal justice matters, including the debate over gun control and the Second Amendment. After losing two sons to criminals with guns, he became an advocate for the rights of law-abiding citizens to self-defense.  An NRA Life Member, he also serves on its governing board. Innis also chairs the NRA's Urban Affairs Committee and is a member of the NRA Ethics Committee, and continues to speak publicly in the US and around the world in favor of individual civilian ownership of firearms, gun issues, and individual rights.

Innis is a 60s era civil rights guy.  He has been on the board forever.

Dan Boren is a former Dem Senator from Oklahoma.  He is probably more conservative than John Cornyn; but I don't know how many ties he has to the Dem party and whether that is a plus or not.

Peter J. Printz was the Sheriff who sued to successfully overturn portions of the Brady law.  He helped kill the waiting period and is the plaintiff in the Supreme Court case "Printz v. United States"

Here is an anti-gun website (link cold) called "Meet the NRA" that has little hate filled bios of the NRA Board - it may give you an idea who they hate most or who they see as vulnerable. http://www.meetthenra.org/board-list
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Ken Blackwell is GTG.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag.

I know who Not to pencil in.... Brandon "douche" Webb.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm really liking what I've read about Roy Innis.  He has my vote, along with the Gunny and Mr. Selleck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#17]
       on my ballot the names are in a different order.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#18]
submitted for the Naughty list:

NO to Carl Rowan, Jr.

His father is a famous DC anti, as well as a hypocrite. His father shot at a teenager who had snuck into their swimming pool using a gun given to him illegally by the current NRA Board member. The father worked diligently over the years to oppress DC gun rights.

I don't trust the son, he comes off as someone who thinks it's only ok for the "right" people to own the "right" kind of guns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tagged.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

on my ballot the names are in a different order.  
View Quote
Somewhere deep in the NRA bylaws it says that the order of names on ballots will be randomized to create several different versions of the ballot, in order to prevent accusations of preferential placement.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#21]
el tagg-o
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

submitted for the Naughty list:

View Quote

NO to Carl Rowan, Jr.

His father is a famous DC anti, as well as a hypocrite. His father shot at a teenager who had snuck into their swimming pool using a gun given to him illegally by the current NRA Board member. The father worked diligently over the years to oppress DC gun rights.

I don't trust the son, he comes off as someone who thinks it's only ok for the "right" people to own the "right" kind of guns.
Is the Law Enforcement Alliance of America an actual pro-gun group?

Reading about them and the Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act, makes me think they could be part of the problem.  A lot of, "We're the only ones profeshunuh enough" going on.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Reading about them and the Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act, makes me think they could be part of the problem.  A lot of, "We're the only ones profeshunuh enough" going on.

View Quote

LEAA is closely affiliated with NRA (as in they never have different positions).
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag for info.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:59:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
LEAA is closely affiliated with NRA (as in they never have different positions).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So are we confident that Carl Rowan Jr. is a good guy then?

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:10:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not confident at all his dad is an anti. Remember you don't have to vore for a full 25 . if you vote for 5 they give each choice 5 votes per something I saw in the rules .

Imus is good to go . I heard him speak many years ago. he makes Sharpton and Jesse Race pimp Jackson cry and for that alone he gets my vote .
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:50:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing I know about Carl Rowan, Jr. is that his father used to write anti-gun screeds (gun ban) in the paper even after Sr. shot that kid.  Jr. has been on the NRA Board since then (over 20 years).  The other thread on Roy Innis has some more info on him.

Charles Cotton on the other hand is a good guy.  I'll be voting for him.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:37:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Bump. Glad this thread was started. I was needing info on the candidates.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Other opinions on him?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Other opinions on him?

I've not heard much at all good, or bad, about the guy. Here's a pretty detailed blog from him on a variety of subjects to maybe shed a little more light on him. I'd like to hear some accurate details regarding the "Status quo" allegations. This is the only way to dig deeper into the actual mindset of these folks running for the BOD, rather than a self written short bio in the NRA magazine to base such important decisions on.

Lack of details is why we get guys like Joaquin Jackson continually re-elected, time after time... Cull the shithooks by taking the time to research and VOTE!

Details, y'all, details!

Anyone have more info on this fellow?

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've not heard much at all good, or bad, about the guy. Here's a pretty detailed blog from him on a variety of subjects to maybe shed a little more light on him. I'd like to hear some accurate details regarding the "Status quo" allegations. This is the only way to dig deeper into the actual mindset of these folks running for the BOD, rather than a self written short bio in the NRA magazine to base such important decisions on.

Lack of details is why we get guys like Joaquin Jackson continually re-elected, time after time... Cull the shithooks by taking the time to research and VOTE!

Details, y'all, details!

http://www.texasshooting.com/blog/?author=2

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Other opinions on him?

Details, y'all, details!

http://www.texasshooting.com/blog/?author=2

I got banned from his forum for a few reasons, but I think the final straw was that I said the CHL instructor system is a racket.  I managed to piss him off in under 4 posts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I got banned from his forum for a few reasons, but I think the final straw was that I said the CHL instructor system is a racket.  I managed to piss him off in under 4 posts.
View Quote

I don't disagree with the CHL system being a racket & Constitutional carry being the best possible option, but that is a pretty big jump from the likes of Joaquin Jackson & his idiotic statements regarding magazine capacities, etc., plus the support he STILL has from other BOD members, including in the NRA forum right here. I completely understand not liking the guy for personal reasons, but is he a defender of the Second Amendment, or not?

The absolute biggest problem with the NRA as a whole is the terrible lack of detailed information on BOD candidates. They seem to make it difficult on purpose. Why?    
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Taged.  I don't know if I would vote for Ted Nuget, but Ermey and Selleck get my votes so far.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Bump and a tag for more info.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#35]
tag
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Tag... As soon as I get my damn ballot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
From what I've seen Anthony Colandro is one of the good guys.

http://www.examiner.com/article/n-j-activist-colandro-earns-gun-rights-examiner-endorsement-for-nra-board
View Quote

I noticed that neither Colandro nor Tracie Hill were recommended by the Nominating Committee though.  I'm not sure that is a bad thing given the people they have not supported in the past (R. Lee Ermey and Patricia Clark being two examples who are now Nominating Committee approved).  Still with the Brandon Webb types out there, I do get concerned about peole who don't have the support of the Nominating Committee.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't disagree with the CHL system being a racket & Constitutional carry being the best possible option, but that is a pretty big jump from the likes of Joaquin Jackson & his idiotic statements regarding magazine capacities, etc., plus the support he STILL has from other BOD members, including in the NRA forum right here. I completely understand not liking the guy for personal reasons, but is he a defender of the Second Amendment, or not?

The absolute biggest problem with the NRA as a whole is the terrible lack of detailed information on BOD candidates. They seem to make it difficult on purpose. Why?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Between the two I'd obviously vote Cotton, but I prefer a third option that isn't willing to compromise in the slightest.

He's one of those  "We don't need..." Texans, and there's dozens of them here on this site.

Again, YMMV.  I'm not trying to rally against the guy, just sharing my personal experience.

ETA:  This is pretty funny, and clever:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_8/488485__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Open_carry_in_Texas_.html&page=2#i5289862

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our biggest problem with passing open carry is the lack of support from the TSRA. When I first moved here from AZ, I was told to get TSRA support or open carry wouldn't have a chance.

Problem is they have Cotton in their ears.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Tag... As soon as I get my damn ballot.
View Quote

If you get the e-mail version of the mag, your ballot will be about two weeks delayed; that's been my experience the past few years.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Is anyone else suspicious of the fact that #4 is from Newtown CT?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is anyone else suspicious of the fact that #4 is from Newtown CT?
View Quote

Patricia Clark was elected to the NRA Board in 2010 before Newtown happened.  She Is a competitive shooter and one of five recommendations (along with Charles Cotton) made by Dave Hardy for this election (http://armsandthelaw.com/).

If you Google her, you can see several anti-gun publications tried to personally target and shame Clark after Newtown because she literally lives just down the street from Sandy Hook (which they also published).
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Is it really a question of who is the good person, due 25 can be voted for?  Shouldn't we be more concerned if there are 6 losers on the ballot that have to go?

It's those 6 (if there are that many) that we should be worried about and make sure we consolidate our efforts at not getting them reelected.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#46]

This
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's local to me.  He belongs to my gun club.  What's the story?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Subscribed.  I always follow this thread before filling out my ballot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#49]
tagscribe.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

The following candidates are endorsed by SOF in the upcoming NRA Board of Directors election:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top