Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/22/2014 5:52:51 AM EDT
Radio mentioned a 2nd amendment case involving the right of an individual to purchase a gun from an ffl with the intent to resell it.  I know its a dupe, but which dupe.

--

The program often runs rebroadcasts - but I think today was live.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it the one in which a cop bought a blue label glock for his uncle?
View Quote

yep.
50/50 tossup depends on if everybody got to eat their favorite breakfast or not.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#3]
How could this go bad for us? From what I've read the guy was pretty clearly buying a gun for the sole purpose of selling it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI for those of you (like me) that was wondering what this case was:

Questions presented to the SCOTUS

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/abramski-v-united-states/
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:17:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Qualifications for the Glock Blue Label program:

Those who qualify include:

Military personnel including Reservists and National Guard with I.D. (Includes retired Military with "retired" credentials)
View Quote

What exactly are "retired credentials"? Does my 214 count?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:22:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Military personnel including Reservists and National Guard with I.D. (Includes retired Military with "retired" credentials)

You have a blue or brown-ish ID card. It looks like a dependant's ID card, but says Retired on it. You'd get the blue one after you're 65 I believe (which opens you up for AMC space-a flights as well).
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#9]
From my cursory reading of the facts of the case, this case has pretty serious implications depending on how SCOTUS comes down. If they rule against Abramski, it could essentially mean that it will be illegal to ever purchase a firearm for someone else, even if it's a gift for a relative, etc. The debate is whether the language on the 4473 that asks whether you are the actual buyer of the gun means that you are the intended recipient of the purchase, regardless of whether the intended recipient may legally own a firearm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Requires a DD Form 2 (Retired)  United States Uniformed Services ID Card has been my experience.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You have a blue or brown-ish ID card. It looks like a dependant's ID card, but says Retired on it. You'd get the blue one after you're 65 I believe (which opens you up for AMC space-a flights as well).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh, never thought about getting a military ID after I separated. Might have to Google how one goes about obtaining one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#14]
expect the worst
hope for the best
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Huh, never thought about getting a military ID after I separated. Might have to Google how one goes about obtaining one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you separate, or retire?  If you separated, you don't get a card.  If you retired, you do.  Read up on the obligations between the two, as there are some important distinctions.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#16]
The briefs for the case are fascinating. It's pretty clear that the BATFE made up the current concept of a straw purchase out of whole cloth. The current wording on the 4473 was never subject to any sort of review or public comment. They just did it themselves . . . something they are not allowed to do.

I can't imagine the court even taking this case if they didn't think the BATFE needed a good spanking.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
He did not make a profit on it and it went to a person who could legally buy a gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How could this go bad for us? From what I've read the guy was pretty clearly buying a gun for the sole purpose of selling it.

He did not make a profit on it and it went to a person who could legally buy a gun.
There is no requirement to make a profit to be "engaged in business". Plus it was a blue box. Might not be the best guy to try this with, but we can always hope.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Did you separate, or retire?  If you separated, you don't get a card.  If you retired, you do.  Read up on the obligations between the two, as there are some important distinctions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah OK, yea I just separated, guess I'm SOL.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nm
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The briefs for the case are fascinating. It's pretty clear that the BATFE made up the current concept of a straw purchase out of whole cloth. The current wording on the 4473 was never subject to any sort of review or public comment. They just did it themselves . . . something they are not allowed to do.

I can't imagine the court even taking this case if they didn't think the BATFE needed a good spanking.
View Quote

I pray to God they get one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Retired ID.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#22]
"Supream?"  
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
From my cursory reading of the facts of the case, this case has pretty serious implications depending on how SCOTUS comes down. If they rule against Abramski, it could essentially mean that it will be illegal to ever purchase a firearm for someone else, even if it's a gift for a relative, etc. The debate is whether the language on the 4473 that asks whether you are the actual buyer of the gun means that you are the intended recipient of the purchase, regardless of whether the intended recipient may legally own a firearm.
View Quote

BATFE does a lot of things they aren't supposed to do, I say let the peepee slapping commence
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

But doesn't the describe about 87% of what the ATF does ? Make up shit on their own and enforce it ?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

How long were you in?

Nevermind, already answered.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Why in the fuck is it "illegal" (by ATF decree) in the first place to buy a gun with the intent to resell or gift it?

Oh, that's right... they might have less control over people.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Clift? Supream?

Sigh.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Clift? Supream?

Sigh.
View Quote

You're asking a lot these days.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My problem with "straw purchase" is the intent and who ends with the firearm. He did not purchase the firearm for a prohibited person.

To me it would be like my dad calling me, saying he dropped by a pawn shop in Mobile on his way back from Biloxi, found a Nagant M38 all matching in great condition for $150 and do I want him to pick it up for me.

He could buy it and gift it to me, no problem but if I pay him back for it, we have now committed a crime? Both of us can legally buy firearms and have NFA items.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no requirement to make a profit to be "engaged in business". Plus it was a blue box. Might not be the best guy to try this with, but we can always hope.

My problem with "straw purchase" is the intent and who ends with the firearm. He did not purchase the firearm for a prohibited person.

To me it would be like my dad calling me, saying he dropped by a pawn shop in Mobile on his way back from Biloxi, found a Nagant M38 all matching in great condition for $150 and do I want him to pick it up for me.

He could buy it and gift it to me, no problem but if I pay him back for it, we have now committed a crime? Both of us can legally buy firearms and have NFA items.

This is pretty much the same argument for prostitution. Two adults can have all the sex they want but if one gives the other $1 it's illegal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

He could buy it and gift it to me, no problem but if I pay him back for it, we have now committed a crime?
Both of us can legally buy firearms and have NFA items.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He could buy it and gift it to me, no problem but if I pay him back for it, we have now committed a crime?
It goes back to the original intent of the 1968 GCA. If it is decided that the GCA was meant to moniter the trafficking of firearms and that the 4473 is a proper tool to do so we are screwed and will have learned yet another lesson in "passing gun control legislation on the federal level is almost impossible to reverse because for all of the talk and bluster people won't actually pass bills to get rid of it". We don't have an AWB only because the old one had a sunset, not because the GOP did anything about it.

ETA:Pretty much. You are supposed to have the FFL send it to your FFL where you pick it up and fill out a 4473. In reality it's almost impossible to prove that your dad bought the gun with the express purpose of selling it to you. Unfortunately for the officer involved in this case he literally had a printed record that he did so, especially given that the gun (a blue box Glock) was something only he could have obtained.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:55:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It goes back to the original intent of the 1968 GCA. If it is decided that the GCA was meant to moniter the trafficking of firearms and that the 4473 is a proper tool to do so we are screwed and will have learned yet another lesson in "passing gun control legislation on the federal level is almost impossible to reverse because for all of the talk and bluster people won't actually pass bills to get rid of it". We don't have an AWB only because the old one had a sunset, not because the GOP did anything about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand it would be bad if the SC rules the wrong way on this but it kind of seems like getting a ticket for texting while driving in that you're only going to get caught if you're being really stupid about it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I understand it would be bad if the SC rules the wrong way on this but it kind of seems like getting a ticket for texting while driving in that you're only going to get caught if you're being really stupid about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See my edit. In reality 99.99% of people don't write down somewhere "I bought this gun specifically to sell to someone else", but this guy more or less did that and then had the FBI toss his house and find it.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I don't think it is exactly same. In my made up situation Dad is not making a profit off the transaction. In prostitution the person is making money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
This is pretty much the same argument for prostitution. Two adults can have all the sex they want but if one gives the other $1 it's illegal.

I don't think it is exactly same. In my made up situation Dad is not making a profit off the transaction. In prostitution the person is making money.

You don't have to make a profit to be engaged in business. If a prostitute drives 20 miles to give a blowjob for a dollar she has not made a profit yet she is still engaged in the business of prostitution.

ETA: Many people engaged in business go out of their way to not make a profit for tax reasons. Not to mention all the businesses that fail to make a profit in a bad year. They are still very much "engaged in business" even if they don't end the year in the black.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:00:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who also, according to the reply of the petitioner, went through his own background check, just like the original purchaser.

Sigh. They just dont stop.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blue I.D immediately after retirement. Space A can be flown right after retirement too. No I.D if you separated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Is there any way to get a thread on this case tacked?

Possibly this thread, if the OP edits the title because the misspelling is driving us crazy?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
But it still does not meet the strict term of a "straw purchase".

Keeping records is what got the FBI agent in trouble.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter

ETA:Pretty much. You are supposed to have the FFL send it to your FFL where you pick it up and fill out a 4473. In reality it's almost impossible to prove that your dad bought the gun with the express purpose of selling it to you. Unfortunately for the officer involved in this case he literally had a printed record that he did so, especially given that the gun (a blue box Glock) was something only he could have obtained.

But it still does not meet the strict term of a "straw purchase".

Keeping records is what got the FBI agent in trouble.
Like I said earlier it all goes back to the perceived intent of the 1968 GCA and if the current interpretation jives with it. Your opinion (and mine) on the matter doesn't matter to anyone. The opinion of the 9 folks in black robes does.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
So they did a dealer transfer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who also, according to the reply of the petitioner, went through his own background check, just like the original purchaser.

Sigh. They just dont stop.

So they did a dealer transfer?
Cop buys gun with intent to sell it to family member, is dumb enough to keep a record of it. Then he transfers it to said family member at an FFL. He lied on a 4473 and plead guilty to it. The question before the Supreme Court now is not a question of his guilt or innocence, but the constitutionality of the law that convicted him.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
To me the whole thing is jacked. I don't see the difference between buying a gun you know is going to be a gift, checking the box on a 4473 and buying a gun for a non-prohibited person with the intention on being paid back the purchase price.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said earlier it all goes back to the perceived intent of the 1968 GCA and if the current interpretation jives with it. Your opinion (and mine) on the matter doesn't matter to anyone. The opinion of the 9 folks in black robes does.

To me the whole thing is jacked. I don't see the difference between buying a gun you know is going to be a gift, checking the box on a 4473 and buying a gun for a non-prohibited person with the intention on being paid back the purchase price.

In the eyes of the ATF that makes you "not the actual buyer" and makes you merely a proxy. Of course the whole thing is jacked, just like the rest of the 1968 GCA.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Clift? Supream?

View Quote

Sigh.

We are doomed as a nation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[gomer pyle] Suprize,suprize [gomer pyle]   edit Misspelled on purpose to sound the way Jim Nabors said it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In the eyes of the ATF that makes you "not the actual buyer" and makes you merely a proxy. Of course the whole thing is jacked, just like the rest of the 1968 GCA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This requirement is not even a part of the 1968 GCA.

The ATF made it up and did not follow proper APA procedure in doing so.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course they made it up. Now we get to see if the Supreme Court agrees with their reasoning for making it up.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

A .mil ID card.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#50]
If you have good reading comprehension skills and a little bit of patience, it's well worth reading some of the petitioner's briefs. It's pretty interesing:

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/abramski-v-united-states/?wpmp_switcher=desktop
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top