Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2014 4:37:21 PM EDT
This might be a dupe, but apparently Smith and Wesson is letting their M&P pistols fall off of California's DOJ Approved List. The article also says that Ruger is letting ALL of it's pistols fall off as well.

Link----> http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/robert-farago/breaking-smith-wesson-mp-pistols-fall-ca-doj-approved-list/

I guess that anyone in CA that wants an M&P should hurry up and get it soon...
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh. I just wish they'd man up and stop selling to law enforcement agencies in Kali, too.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
You mean Ruger isn't the only "stupid" gun company abandoning Kalifonia?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Cue the S&W hate.... and go

Figured Ruger wouldnt be the only one once I found out about micro stamping.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Does that mean they'll stop plastering warning label BS on the slides of their pistols?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#5]
So how does that work for our Cali residents?  Is the gun allowed if in possession before it dropped off the list, or do owners have to get rid of them now?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So how does that work for our Cali residents?  Is the gun allowed if in possession before it dropped off the list, or do owners have to get rid of them now?
View Quote

You can keep them. And if you own then and move to cali you are good to go to as long as you have mags under 10 rounds.

If you really want something in Cali that is not on the hand gun roster you can have a good dealer do a single shot conversion for you where they install a 9inch barrel and a single round magazine. You can then convert it back to a proper pistol after you have possession.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Other companies need to follow suit and stop selling to California and any other state who deems honest Americans as not trustworthy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
As someone who lived in CA for much of their (short) life,

FUCK CALIFORNIA.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Meh. I just wish they'd man up and stop selling to law enforcement agencies in Kali, too.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess if they all fall off the list, it would ruled be unconstitutional, de facto ban on pistols, mainstream defense weapon guaranteed by the constitution.

Wonder if that would stop CA from enforcing thee laws.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#11]
IIRC, some recent stats showed that CA is in the top 3 states for dollars spent on firearms.
Maybe some of those dollars will go to fixing that broken state.
In the mean time, I hope that manufacturers will lose the CA-specific crap features on their guns.

-Lee
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#12]
How much does CA charge for their testing?  Sure sounds like it's more than $99.95
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm guessing a lot more gun shops are going to start doing single-shot exempt now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm guessing a lot more gun shops are going to start doing single-shot exempt now.
View Quote

Until the loophole is closed because the publicity afforded to that particularly clever  " work around" will be substantial, since it will be used to sell guns from major manufacturers who intentionally stopped bowing down to the state in order to sell their product in California.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How much does CA charge for their testing?  Sure sounds like it's more than $99.95
View Quote

Quite a bit. And any change, even just a cosmetic one, to a pistol on the list makes it a "new model" thus requiring a complete test battery on it.

As an example, Springfield Armory 1911s. In the "Loaded" line, there's a Stainless model, and a Black Stainless model. Identical, pretty much, except the Black Stainless has, well, a black paint-like finish on parts of the slide and frame and black overmolded stocks, whereas the plain Stainless model has polished slide and frame flats (just like the Black version) but instead of the coating on the rest, it's bead-blasted and bare metal (IIRC). And it has wood stocks.
CA considers those otherwise identical pistols to be different models, for purposes of the "Safety Roster." Meaning Springfield has to submit several samples and pay the testing fee for both of those, separately. Even though they're the exact same pistol aside from the finish (or lack of) and stocks/grip panels.

Same with blued vs. stainless steel, or FDE/tan versus black polymer, different sights, etc. And the test fee runs to, if I remember right, a pretty decent sum, and the samples submitted are retained by CA-DOJ, some of them for destructive testing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
I think that would be the only way they would get the point across. Not selling to consumers isn't enough.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Other companies need to follow suit and stop selling to California and any other state who deems honest Americans as not trustworthy.
View Quote

This - and yes I live in California.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You can keep them. And if you own then and move to cali you are good to go to as long as you have mags under 10 rounds.

If you really want something in Cali that is not on the hand gun roster you can have a good dealer do a single shot conversion for you where they install a 9inch barrel and a single round magazine. You can then convert it back to a proper pistol after you have possession.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Registration will always lead to confection.  They are laying the ground work for it now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It only effects dealer sales of new semi automatic handguns. you can keep and even buy or sell those already in circulation.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quite a bit. And any change, even just a cosmetic one, to a pistol on the list makes it a "new model" thus requiring a complete test battery on it.

As an example, Springfield Armory 1911s. In the "Loaded" line, there's a Stainless model, and a Black Stainless model. Identical, pretty much, except the Black Stainless has, well, a black paint-like finish on parts of the slide and frame and black overmolded stocks, whereas the plain Stainless model has polished slide and frame flats (just like the Black version) but instead of the coating on the rest, it's bead-blasted and bare metal (IIRC). And it has wood stocks.
CA considers those otherwise identical pistols to be different models, for purposes of the "Safety Roster." Meaning Springfield has to submit several samples and pay the testing fee for both of those, separately. Even though they're the exact same pistol aside from the finish (or lack of) and stocks/grip panels.

Same with blued vs. stainless steel, or FDE/tan versus black polymer, different sights, etc. And the test fee runs to, if I remember right, a pretty decent sum, and the samples submitted are retained by CA-DOJ, some of them for destructive testing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yerp, differend SKU is different gun
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Until you can no longer do it because it is deemed to be  illegal under the next round of gun control laws.

Same as the open carrying of those empty pistols went away.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#27]
The DOJ list has the M&P certifications expiring at different times throughout the year, not in 60 days.  I am a little suspicious of the source.  A random gun shop's facebook page is not exactly a press release from S&W.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The DOJ list has the M&P certifications expiring at different times throughout the year, not in 60 days.  I am a little suspicious of the source.  A random gun shop's facebook page is not exactly a press release from S&W.

View Quote

No facts allowed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Registration will always lead to confection.  They are laying the ground work for it now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mmmmm pastries
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Mmmmm pastries
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mmmmm pastries

The cake is a lie.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#31]
C'mon San Andreas! Let her rip!   Phuc that state.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I guess if they all fall off the list, it would ruled be unconstitutional, de facto ban on pistols, mainstream defense weapon guaranteed by the constitution.

Wonder if that would stop CA from enforcing thee laws.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm no expert but I just looked at the recently expired certifications and there are a shit load of S&W that just expired. It's the same story for ruger, walther, and sig.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm no expert but I just looked at the recently expired certifications and there are a shit load of S&W that just expired. It's the same story for ruger, walther, and sig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the S&W page it lists 13 guns set to expire sometime this month out of a total of 297 on the list?  That is a small percentage, and from my experience is fairly normal.  Handguns come on and off the list fairly regularly.  I am not sure what the lag time is from expiration/approval to the site being updated, but I cannot imagine the CA DOJ having a fast turn around.  

The article cited by the OP could be right, but they misrepresent when the M&Ps are set to expire, which raises a red flag.  The source's facebook also lists some M&Ps 45s for sale, and that people better get them now while they can.  This sounds a little bit like Classic Arm's "No More AKs" sales pitch.  Like I said, this might be a true story, but let's not jump to conclusions just because its on the internet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Good. Stop the gun owners who likely didn't vote for these from getting your products. Doing exactly what the anti gun crowd wants. To stop having the weapons sold. I can see not selling to the government/police of CA, but to the average citizen? Dumb.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Companies should move their companies out of restrictive states, absolutely.  They should not sell firearms to governments/law enforcement agencies, absolutely.  Not selling to American citizens only hurts us.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Does that mean they'll stop plastering warning label BS on the slides of their pistols?
View Quote

Strange, I see mine a couple times a day and have somehow managed to miss whatever the hell you're talking about

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta love the Golden State...
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cal DOJ is absolutely corrupt.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Not to derail the thread but can I bring and xd45c into Cali as long as I only bring 10 red mags?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Here is a picture of my  SSE'd M&P9.

After:

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Walther has let just about every pistol they still produce fall off too this month.
So much for being on a waiting list at my LGS for 3 fraking years for a P99 dammit!!!!!

Oh and don't get me going on a ppk! just ban me for that topic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Is this kinda like how Knights is banned by name? CA is such an awesome state, minus a good majority of the people.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Only way to fix CA is to break it up.

It's time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

It's time.
View Quote

I'm down.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's time.
View Quote

Or drill and frack the San Andreas fault line to precipitate an earthquake and make LA and San Fran fall off into the Pacific.

Either would work.

I'd buy some beachfront property, in... it'd probably be Gorman? Or maybe Fraser Park or El Centro or something...
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Is this kinda like how Knights is banned by name? CA is such an awesome state, minus a good majority of the people.
View Quote

Fuck the people that live in CA.  

The people that frequent the store I work at are their own worst enemies.

We have Police who want the disarmament of people, and then ask for a discount.  Then we have the people who think 10 (or less) round magazines are just fine, because they can't see themselves shooting that much ammo.  We're like gun priests, listening to people confess all of the laws they break on the constant. Don't tell me this shit.   Cops are some of the worst.

An Arfcommer came in today and was trying to pick up his black friday lower and was having difficulty because of issues with proof of residence. Do you have a Driver's license? HERE'S YOUR GUN.  All I wanted to do was fucking HAND HIM THE LOWER.

This 10 day waiting period is lunacy.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top