Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2014 12:14:47 PM EDT
I watched Les Stroud's latest survival show and I was really shocked when he just happened to find a cigarette lighter laying around on a desolate island! He really started his career out by doing things that no one had ever done. He went out in the wilds and survived. I had started thinking toward the end of his series "Survivor Man" I started thinking of him as "MacGyver Man" instead because he had started setting up situations and then showed how you could survive by using items that are available. Bicycles, suba gear, ect.  His latest work "Frigate Island" he just happens to find a butane cigarette lighter laying around on some rocks. Bear Grylls would have been proud! While Les does command respect form anyone that studies "survival" and he is far from being a phony I changed channels after he "found" that lighter that had been there long enough to leave rust stains on the rock where it was found and oh boy it still worked!

I bet if they could get Les Stroud and Cody Lundin to do "Naked and Afraid" it would be very successful. N&A really seems tuff how you only get one item to take with you. I think that grubby SOB Dave Canterbury would thrive living like a animal for 21 days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I watched Les Stroud's latest survival show and I was really shocked when he just happened to find a cigarette lighter laying around on a desolate island! He really started his career out by doing things that no one had ever done. He went out in the wilds and survived. I had started thinking toward the end of his series "Survivor Man" I started thinking of him as "MacGyver Man" instead because he had started setting up situations and then showed how you could survive by using items that are available. Bicycles, suba gear, ect.  His latest work "Frigate Island" he just happens to find a butane cigarette lighter laying around on some rocks. Bear Grylls would have been proud! While Les does command respect form anyone that studies "survival" and he is far from being a phony I changed channels after he "found" that lighter that had been there long enough to leave rust stains on the rock where it was found and oh boy it still worked!

I bet if they could get Les Stroud and Cody Lundin to do "Naked and Afraid" it would be very successful. N&A really seems tuff how you only get one item to take with you. I think that grubby SOB Dave Canterbury would thrive living like a animal for 21 days.
View Quote

Hmmmmmmmm fantasy?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Used to find lighters and all kinds of stuff on the beaches around Okinawa..  If it floats it'll find beach.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Used to find lighters and all kinds of stuff on the beaches around Okinawa..  If it floats it'll find beach.
View Quote

This is why there are palm trees fucking everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok it could have been possible but maybe he should have passed on it for the sake of the show?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Les would kick ass -- don't want to see him naked though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ok it could have been possible but maybe he should have passed on it for the sake of the show?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously? He is out there surviving and showing his audience how to do the same. Why would he pass up something that could be used to save his life? The show isn't about him trying to be a hard ass and prove he is better  than everyone. I can't count the number of times I've heard him say something to the effect of make sure to take advantage of what you can easily come across.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Never watched a naked survivor show. Don't think I would, unless it is a bunch of hot chicks.  Dudes, no thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Seriously? He is out there surviving and showing his audience how to do the same. Why would he pass up something that could be used to save his life? The show isn't about him trying to be a hard ass and prove he is better  than everyone. I can't count the number of times I've heard him say something to the effect of make sure to take advantage of what you can easily come across.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to live on a beach. Walked it daily picking up beach glass. Found all kinds of interesting junk but never once found a lighter. Wes should have skipped the lighter, even if it wasn't intentionally placed, because it's highly unlikely you or I will find one the next time we're on a deserted island. Plastic bottles? Sure. I've seen em washed up on every beach I've ever visited. Working lighter? Highly unlikely. He needs to keep it realistic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, because you should always pass up something useful in a survival situation. Why pick up a lighter when you can rub two sticks together? Why hunt a boar with a gun when you can simply try to club it to death instead?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Les stroud > bear gryls.  Cody Lundin is pretty good too.

That being said op, I have no desire to see any of their penises and/or assholes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not at all improbable.

I have been on several "deserted" islands around the world, you can't imagine some of the junk that washes ashore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
he just happens to find a butane cigarette lighter laying around on some rocks.

Not at all improbable.

I have been on several "deserted" islands around the world, you can't imagine some of the junk that washes ashore.

Going with this.  It is incredible the amount of crap that washes up on beaches.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Since we have all seen Les whip up fire simply by rubbing two sticks together, who cares if he finds and uses a lighter?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That being said op, I have no desire to see any of their penises and/or assholes.
View Quote

So true.  

Cody and Joe do have a great show, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I think he could survive just about anything, the man knows how to survive
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#16]
If you watch the show again carefully you can see the rust stain on the rock when he picks up the lighter. The lighter is rusty. Either that is one heck of a hoax or it was really there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think he could survive just about anything, the man knows how to survive
View Quote

Yeah, the things he does and puts up with are incredible. The Tierra Del Fuego episode from this season was pretty brutal. He ended up stuck in an old gaucho shack for a week with nothing to eat but a piece of old fat and some flour. He even had a .22 with him, and this was probably the toughest episode I have ever seen. That would be hell to try to live out there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Never watched a naked survivor show. Don't think I would, unless it is a bunch of hot chicks.  Dudes, no thanks.
View Quote
What if there is both?

Are you so insecure in your sexuality that you can't watch a blurred out image of a naked dude?

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Not at all improbable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not at all improbable.

I left a BIC lighter in a tree stand, three years later and rusted it lit first try.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Since we have all seen Les whip up fire simply by rubbing two sticks together, who cares if he finds and uses a lighter?
View Quote

Yeah, no kidding.  All he does is practice making fire. He should be able to take a lighter with him on every trip.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#21]
He is taking stuff with him in this new season.  He is not going in almost bare bones like he has done in the past.

Les knows how to make fire.  He had a steel machete with him and probably could have got a few sparks that way.

Maybe he even didn't think he needed the fire but took advantage of a find.  After all, he had the water purifier so he didn't need to boil water.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd like to see how Sara Underwood would do on Naked and Afraid.

In person.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Les would kick ass -- don't want to see him naked though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Not the naked show...

But dual survivor with Lundin and Les would be awesome.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not the naked show...

View Quote

Isnt he the idiot who walks around with no shoes?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#26]
He'd at least be smart enough to fashion some sort of pants.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Not the naked show...

View Quote

I would definetly watch that, I would love to spend a week in the wild with Les

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#28]
It's not hard to go anywhere and not find human trash.

Bear Grylls would have just happened to "find" a warm hotel room on that island.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:20:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not the naked show...

He made some flippity-flops out of cow hide last time I watched
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Les is the shit. "Survivorman" is on Netflix and I watch an episode while going to bed lately. The stuff that guy does...

...and, yes, Les Stroud > Bear Grylls.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:29:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

LMAO.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:31:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, but I dare any of those guys to do a survival show about being pro 2A in Long Island, NY.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:48:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Is that Cody Lundin guy for real?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is that Cody Lundin guy for real?
View Quote

yep. A real hippy. I'd take dave canterbury over him any day.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#35]
You guys know those are just TV shows, right?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Les might be naked for half of the first day and he would NEVER be afraid.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Bear Grylls would have just happened to "find" a warm hotel room on that island.
View Quote

Well, there are warm hotel rooms all over the world.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not at all improbable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not at all improbable.

He showed where the rust from the lighter had rust on the rock so it wasn't put there by anyone else
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO No Doubt

Bear is NOT even in the same class as Les is.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Les Stroud has stated he is done with being miserable for 10 days at a time for a show.

He is taking it easy now.  Can't say that I blame him either.  Some of the places he's been and things he's done is hard on the body.  You can't keep doing that over and over again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not the naked show...

He does not wear shoes.

That said, if I could "phone a friend" to make me a fire, I'd call Cody Lundin, that dude is a real world MacGuyver of fire making.  

I would not call him an idiot, an idealist sure, but not an idiot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because it's a hell of a lot easier to start a fire with a lighter that by rubbing two sticks together.  Even Les will tell you that.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#43]
How would Les do on "Naked and Afraid"?

He would seduce the woman with his harmonica playing and then screw her and then tell the audience how they need to take advantage of every survival situation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I used to live on a beach. Walked it daily picking up beach glass. Found all kinds of interesting junk but never once found a lighter. Wes should have skipped the lighter, even if it wasn't intentionally placed, because it's highly unlikely you or I will find one the next time we're on a deserted island. Plastic bottles? Sure. I've seen em washed up on every beach I've ever visited. Working lighter? Highly unlikely. He needs to keep it realistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I grew up on the coast & went beachcombing daily when I was a kid in the summer. One thing I had tons of were Bic lighters.
They float, and they work until they are out of fluid. Even if the wheel is rusted, it pivots in plastic, so it doesn't matter. A few flicks and it'll light. It's actually a pretty likely find.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
He would seduce the woman with his harmonica playing and then screw her and then tell the audience how they need to take advantage of every survival situation.
View Quote

This.
Also, bring Laura Zerra back for that episode. She's great eye candy and knows her stuff. Les would be a much better partner than the whiny dude she got paired with. Just imagine that love child
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#46]
IME there's nothing unrealistic about a lighter working in that condition.  I left a lighter outside on my porch rail sometime around 2005 or so.  I quit smoking in 2008, but when I finally threw the lighter away a few months ago it still worked after a few attempts.  The metal parts were a mass of rust and the wheel didn't want to spin, but it did light.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

And he would say "This is going to a long night" while smiling like a mofo.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Les would have them pulling his ball hairs out to make a mat for all to sleep on
and they would be comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#49]
I like how they had Naked and Afraid Uncensored and yet all of the cussing and nudity was censored. They probably aren't even naked and probably wear pasties and flesh colored bikinis.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 1:51:58 AM EDT
[#50]
none could survive Newark NJ
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top