Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2001 12:14:10 PM EDT
ok im looking around to get my first gun.. i originally wanted a handgun but i gotta wait a couple of years for that cause im only 19.. my next choice is a good dependable assault rifle.. ive looked around and there are so many and all of them are slightly different. A lot of you guys here know ur shit so i wanted to ask for some suggestions.. my budget is 350-400 is that do able? this guy i know was trying to convince me on getting a shot gun first.. any suggestions? i forgot the name but it was a 12gauge and it was called the... Persuader or something i forgot the manufacturer. he said a lot of cops carry them.. i dont know for sure im just saying what he said.. well any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanx. take it easy everyone
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
bigtonka, Troy gave you excellent advise. I think the shotgun you are referring to is the Mossberg 12 guage Persuader. They also make a 410 guage Home Security model which is nice for first time shooters, ladies and home defense. I have gone thru them all and the AR15 is heads and shoulders above any of the others but they cost a bit more. Stay with any on the major maufacturers, Colt, Bushmaster, Oly, RRA; but first spend some time on this site, go to some gun shows and learn all you can before you buy. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Save your money, and buy an AR15. AK's do cost less and are probably the most reliable assualt rifle made, but they have disadvantages.  Their inherent accuracy is not good, the sights are crude, and it's as ergonomic as a fence post. Very difficult to shoot well.  The SKS has all the above disanvantages, plus it loads with a stripper clip rather thana detachable magazines.  You'll get killed trying to reload.  The 10/22 would be an excellent first gun, just don't expect it to stop anything other than a charging field mouse........[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If your funds are limited, don't spend money on a bunch of cheap junk. Good guns cost money. Troy's suggestion of the 10/22 is right on. You will have some cash for “ ACCESSORIES ” which usually cost as much as the weapon. Then you can learn to shoot with the 10/22 while contemplating your next purchase.
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd save for the AR you have a good start for one. But for the money you have you could get a 10/22 and a shotgun. SAVE for the big purchase if you don't you'll wish you did. [sniper]
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Gotta go with the flow on this one.  My first gun was a really sexy Ruko AR15 .22 lookalike.  I bought it when I was 19 as I could not afford a real AR.  I bought it INSTEAD of a 10/22 cause the Ruko was SEXYYYY!!!  The POS lasted about 2 years then fell to shit.  
I now have a nice collection including AK and ARs.....but I never did get that 10/22...Till yesterday that is!!!!! Bought one from a buddy that does not use it...$100 CDN including 2 50 round bananna clips!!

Go the the 10/22 you can dress it up as your budget allows.  You can shoot it all day long for the cost of a few boxes of centrefire.  You can pass it on your you kids....etc
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#8]

[i][b]"my next choice is a good dependable assault rifle"[/i][/b]

[size=5][red]Wrong!!!![/size=5][/red]  

Your next choice should be a dependable multiple round capacity, self-loading rifle like the AR15 or an AK. [;)][;)]
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...$100 CDN including 2 50 round bananna clips!!
View Quote

Damn,,,from the prices I've seen,,,just the two 50 round clips would be worth the hundred dollars.
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]
What Troy said..... Get a Ruger 10-22. Learn to shoot and safety. The 10-22 is fun and cheap to shoot. More importantly learn to shoot properly. Shooting is not only a past time. It comes with it responsibility.

It can look cool too is that's what you are after.  Check mine out

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/020/7Y/Dq/by/iw43727.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
YEAH.....try to find them eagle high cap mags nowdays!.......[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#12]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
...$100 CDN including 2 50 round bananna clips!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn,,,from the prices I've seen,,,just the two 50 round clips would be worth the hundred dollars.

You forget I got the whole deal for $100 CANADIAN!!! Including the mags!!  thats about $65 US dollars!!

I told my friend that that price is a ripoff....but he said Hell I'll never need it you might as well have it!!

Good freinds are hard to find!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#13]
A nifty ltweight wrist rocket with life size marbals.
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Tony said it best. Get a 10/22 first. that's what I did. i got mine about 6mths ago for 220, it was the synthetic stock with the stainless steel barrel. Definitely helped me get into the gun culture. It is a great starter gun, nice and accurate, and quite a hoot to shoot. My next purchase is the LEGP on this site. Can't wait for it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#15]
If I had $400 and no guns I'd buy a good .22 rimfire and an SKS. Every person that hopes to ever learn to shoot well needs to have a .22, and I would not feel tremendously under-gunned with an SKS except against armored targets or very skilled snipers.

The skill that you can potentially develop practicing with a .22 will allow you to make the most of your SKS and exceed the real life effectiveness of many pseudo-Rambo types armed with AR's or anything else. The most important factor is practice, not fancy gadgets.

I don't feel that the SKS's 10 round magazine is all that big of a handicap. While I despise the ban on making larger capacity magazines, the fact is that 10 rounds of high-power rifle fire, accurately placed, is a whole lot of shooting.

AR-15's are neat rifles, but they sure aren't cheap. I've been meaning to make myself another (16 inch lightweight carbine with a standard buttstock) for years, but when I can buy a complete SKS or 3 Mausers for what the barrel alone would cost it's kind of hard to justify the expense.
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#16]
bigtonka- save for your ar
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top