Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 110
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Remember the episode when Stannis sailed his fleet to Kings Landing and Tyrion blew it away with the wildfire filled ship?  When the footwar began outside the city, Cersei had Tommen with her on the Iron Throne, with poison ready to go, while she waited to see who was coming.  When it turned out to be Tywin, she dumped the poison.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, now that shit head is dead, who would the crown go to?  Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think there is a clear successor.
Not interested in spoilers, just curious who it would go to by the book as it stands right now.

It would go to the next born son of the prior king - Joffrey's younger brother Tommen.

Maybe its a question because I can't recall even hearing his name untill this thread. If the series mentioned him, it must have been in passing...

Remember the episode when Stannis sailed his fleet to Kings Landing and Tyrion blew it away with the wildfire filled ship?  When the footwar began outside the city, Cersei had Tommen with her on the Iron Throne, with poison ready to go, while she waited to see who was coming.  When it turned out to be Tywin, she dumped the poison.

Because of what would be done to them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

IIRC, no.

I think Dorne is the only region of Westeros where the line of succession is by order of birth regardless of gender.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, now that shit head is dead, who would the crown go to?  Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think there is a clear successor.

Not interested in spoilers, just curious who it would go to by the book as it stands right now.

Tommen, his younger brother is next in line...IIRC it had to go to a male,  which is why the new queen doesn't just take over at fuckwit's death

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Except for in Dorne.

targaryens put women in line too, didn't they?  or was that just from the incest...

IIRC, no.

I think Dorne is the only region of Westeros where the line of succession is by order of birth regardless of gender.

Outside of Dorne and the Iron Islands, all of Westeros practices what is known as Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture. Meaning that women CAN inherit lands and titles, but only so long as there are no living male heirs. How far removed a 'heir' can be before a women inherits is the kind of thing that starts wars, and is a grey enough area that women tend to have trouble holding onto their lands after they inherit under these circumstances.

Barbary Ryswell and Donella Hornwood are examples of this from the books.

Dorne practices True Cognatic Primogeniture, meaning that women inherit on the same grounds as men. So if a Dornish lord has a daughter and then a son, the daughter inherits his lands and titles. Hence why Arianne Martell is Prince Doran's heir and not either of his sons.

Since Myrcella is in Dorne currently, this holds interesting implications regarding who inherits the Iron Throne.

As to the Ironborn, they are just silly barbarians. No one cares about their kingsmoot, and no one really cares about THEM unless they are being sneaky bastards or Victarion is being awesome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By CitizenQ

Outside of Dorne and the Iron Islands, all of Westeros practices what is known as Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture. Meaning that women CAN inherit lands and titles, but only so long as there are no living male heirs. How far removed a 'heir' can be before a women inherits is the kind of thing that starts wars, and is a grey enough area that women tend to have trouble holding onto their lands after they inherit under these circumstances.

Dorne practices True Cognatic Primogeniture, meaning that women inherit on the same grounds as men. So if a Dornish lord has a daughter and then a son, the daughter inherits his lands and titles. Hence why Arianne Martell is Prince Doran's heir and not either of his sons.

Since Myrcella is in Dorne currently, this holds interesting implications regarding who inherits the Iron Throne.

As to the Ironborn, they are just silly barbarians. No one cares about their kingsmoot, and no one really cares about THEM unless they are being sneaky bastards or Victarion is being awesome.
View Quote

Maege Mormont in gonna hit you in the face with a ax since you left her out.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By CitizenQ

Those where just the first two that came to mind.

The Mormont's are somewhat of a unique case because the women are trained to fight, which is pretty rare in Westeros. It implies some special circumstances for Bear Island specifically.

She needs to hit HBO in face with an axe for leaving her and her daughters out of the show.

I get why they did it, but I would have loved to see some Dacey Mormont goodness.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
once she's no longer queen regent, tywin can marry her off to loras to shore up the tyrell alliance without shifting more power their way, until joffrey's killed, now she'll be queen regent again until tommen comes of age

Or gets married.

even married, he's still too young to be more than a figurehead.

I was saying once Tommen gets married Cersei is no longer the queen regent.

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
once she's no longer queen regent, tywin can marry her off to loras to shore up the tyrell alliance without shifting more power their way, until joffrey's killed, now she'll be queen regent again until tommen comes of age

Or gets married.

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tommen.  Also, not a spoiler.  Renly explained it first season when he said he was fourth in line behind Robert.  Joffrey, Tommen, Stannis, Renly.  

OK, I forgot Joff had a brother.  I'm getting better as the seasons progress, but at times it's hard to keep track of all the characters.  

ETA: Another thought.  I'm assuming a king's bastard sons don't count as legitimate heirs that can claim the throne.  If that's the case, why did they attempt to find and kill all of Robert's bastards?
Because there is a precedent of legitimizing bastards. There was a whole thing about it, it ties in eventually

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:56:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

not a spoiler at all, but to be on the safe side...

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:22:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Did Brienne say that she loves Jaimie?   It's been so long since I have read the books I have forgot if that happens or not.   Before the next books comes out I'm going to re read them all.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Did Brienne say that she loves Jaimie?   It's been so long since I have read the books I have forgot if that happens or not.   Before the next books comes out I'm going to re read them all.
View Quote

She kept silent.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The Mormont's are somewhat of a unique case because the women are trained to fight, which is pretty rare in Westeros. It implies some special circumstances for Bear Island specifically.

She needs to hit HBO in face with an axe for leaving her and her daughters out of the show.

I get why they did it, but I would have loved to see some Dacey Mormont goodness.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

it would be cool to see them included.  to add to the muddy waters surrounding them, remember Bear Island actually belonged to Jeor and Jorah's branch of the family.  The Old Bear abdicated his seat to freeze his ass off at the Wall and let Jorah take over, and Jorah managed to fuck things up and get himself a death sentence after marrying a money grubbing whore.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or gets married.

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Indeed.

I was mistaken about that part, but Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Okay show watchers.  In the TV show, when Sam and Gilly are beseiged by wights, they are saved by a murder of crows (kind of). I thought for sure that Coldhands appears in the TV show, if briefly. Does he?

Coldhands is a mysterious shrouded figure that rides on an elk.

Also, episode 3: Breaker of Chains-
In the frenzied aftermath of the royal wedding, Tyrion gets a visit from a loyal subject, but wonders if anyone in his family will help him out of his current predicament. Meanwhile, Tywin offers to work for the common good with a presumed enemy; Sam takes stock of the personnel at Castle Black; the Hound gives another life lesson to Arya; and Daenerys makes a decision outside the walls of Meereen.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Okay show watchers.  In the TV show, when Sam and Gilly are beseiged by wights, they are saved by a murder of crows (kind of). I thought for sure that Coldhands appears in the TV show, if briefly. Does he?
View Quote

What episode is that?  I'll load it up right now and see.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, I don't remember this.  At the end of season 2, Sam hides behind a rock when they first show the group of White Walkers.  There's a guy that seems to be the leader on a horse with a spear.  The only time I remember Sam and Gilly seing White Walkers is when one comes after him and he kills it with Dragon Glass.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Neither of those things happened.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't notice this until today:

Kingslayer and CMOH winner; what a badass.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I didn't notice this until today:
http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f9/black-hawk-down-durant-body-armour-help-normal_bhddvd4.jpg-46947d1299231256
Kingslayer and CMOH winner; what a badass.
View Quote

Yeah he played Gordon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, by "saved" I guess I meant alerted to the presence of the wight. I thought they distracted the wight a little but I might be getting what happened in the book confused with what happened in the TV show. I guess I will go back and re-read that part. It's got to be in Storm of Swords at some point about 1/2 way through.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View Quote

I believe she only inherited because of the disqualification of the male heirs.  Just like Sansa is presumptively the Lady of Winterfell as Robb, Bran, and Rickon are all dead or thought to be dead.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#24]

I thought that looked quite rediculous.  Some graceful swordsman huh?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's that 30lb hand keeping him off-balance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

there's also that 30 pounds of full plate armor to take into consideration

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

it would be cool to see them included.  to add to the muddy waters surrounding them, remember Bear Island actually belonged to Jeor and Jorah's branch of the family.  The Old Bear abdicated his seat to freeze his ass off at the Wall and let Jorah take over, and Jorah managed to fuck things up and get himself a death sentence after marrying a money grubbing whore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, Maege made an appearance...

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1420298365/maege_icon.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1420298365/maege_icon.jpg

You couldn't find a smalled, blurrier pic to imbed?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

but there is technically a new Queen so would she not reign until she tosses in the towel.
The current Queen of England reigns and the King died a long time ago. Charles did not get to take over.  
I can foresee the new Queen not wanting to relinquish power and the Old man Lannister whacking her so as not to lose the kingdom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would go to the next born son of the prior king - Joffrey's younger brother Tommen.

Not sure how that's even a question.

but there is technically a new Queen so would she not reign until she tosses in the towel.
The current Queen of England reigns and the King died a long time ago. Charles did not get to take over.  
I can foresee the new Queen not wanting to relinquish power and the Old man Lannister whacking her so as not to lose the kingdom.

No, the marriage isn't complete until it's been consummated. That's why the bedding ceremony is such a big deal up North and why Tywin was always on Tyrion abut forcing Sansa into bed. Maergery never slept with Joffrey, so the marriage is null.  

That was the rule in the real world (in Western Civilization, anyway) up until a couple of centuries ago. At least one of Henry VIII marriages was annulled because he never slept with the wife.

ETA: Beaten while typing. Damn nacho eating slowed me down.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, the marriage isn't complete until it's been consummated. That's why the bedding ceremony is such a big deal up North and why Tywin was always on Tyrion abut forcing Sansa into bed. Maergery never slept with Joffrey, so the marriage is null.  

That was the rule in the real world (in Western Civilization, anyway) up until a couple of centuries ago. At least one of Henry VIII marriages was annulled because he never slept with the wife.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure how that's even a question.

It still works in Vegas for anullments, too. SO does being drunk.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Finished up the eighth episode today. Shit is getting real.

Side note: The character that plays Ed Stark. Was he in LOTR? Looks familiar.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
{snip}
View Quote

Good point. The Iron Islands are so remote that they don't face serious opposition. That's the only reason they've got the power they have - if they were physically located near Kings Landing, the Ironborn would have been "Rains of Castamere'd" a long time ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yup Sean Bean played Boromir in LOTR

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's had a few other small roles over the years, too!  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/b]

I didn't know that. Makes me wonder what percentage of grooms in Las Vegas are drunk...sounds like a court house bookkeeping nightmare!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

He was watching his son die. I think he played panic pretty well.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#37]

I've felt sorry for Jack Gleeson since the show started. He works so hard just to be hated so much! Hopefully it will rain hate-fucks when he goes back to college.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've felt sorry for Jack Gleeson since the show started. He works so hard just to be hated so much! Hopefully it will rain hate-fucks when he goes back to college.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, he's gonna drown in it, if he isn't already. Pretty boy, working on a set full of porn stars, and hated by the majority of the fans? That trailer is a rockin.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

Poor guy - I read somewhere he's going to quit acting and pursue higher education.  

Probably got too many death threats.  

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's had a few other small roles over the years, too!  

He was Trevelyan in Goldeneye.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Welp I guess that is the end of Jaime's kings guard days.

Old ladt tyrell has to be pissed. Spend a fortune on a wedding to get into royal power and have it nullified by assassination.

I keep thinking that Jaime would be the most likely person to assume the title of protector of the realm while tommen is growing up. That would make cersei happy as well as tywin who would get his eldest in power and he would still rule being hand of the king.

hopefully in this next episode we get to see more about blackfish and walden frey. Did I hear right them saying that blackfish's son was in the dungeons and not dead?

also did they foreshadow brandon warging a dragon in the last episode during his warg-dreaming? makes me wonder if that is how he intends to fight off the wights.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Old ladt tyrell has to be pissed. Spend a fortune on a wedding to get into royal power and have it nullified by assassination.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

She is super-pissed unless.. she isn't. Her and Margery didn't seem overly excited at the prospect of Margery marrying the little monster.

I keep thinking that Jaime would be the most likely person to assume the title of protector of the realm while tommen is growing up. That would make cersei happy as well as tywin who would get his eldest in power and he would still rule being hand of the king.
 Jamie is a member of the Kingsguard, and as such it's an appointment for life. The way it is currently, he couldn't be protector of the realm.

hopefully in this next episode we get to see more about blackfish and walden frey. Did I hear right them saying that blackfish's son was in the dungeons and not dead?

Who is the blackfish's son? You must be thinking of the blackfish Brynden Tulley, he doesn't have a son as he has never been married previously.

also did they foreshadow brandon warging a dragon in the last episode during his warg-dreaming? makes me wonder if that is how he intends to fight off the wights.

What that was ... was a vision.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#43]
The snow In the throne room was the most powerful thing so far.

Brans visions are important.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
Oh, my sweet, summer child.

However,

I think Bran warging into a dragon is very prophetic. We'll see...

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

However,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However,

or maybe the red lady will just havy sexy time with a dragon to create new monstrosities for the lord of light.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

or maybe the red lady will just havy sexy time with a dragon to create new monstrosities for the lord of light.
View Quote

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote
Spoiler if you have not seen all of Season 1.
Click To View Spoiler

otherwise it's not a spoiler at all.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Dude has died a lot. What the fuck was the cow one????
Page / 110
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top