Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 11
Author
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:23:30 PM
So I was explaining what happened on Operation Red Wings to a friend of mine who hadn't heard of it. When I got to the point of where the SEALs let the shepherds go he was like, "Why didn't they just kill them?"

After a spirited discussion on lawful combatants and the Law of Land Warfare, he still didn't think there would be a problem with waxing the shepherds if it was probable they were only going to report the SEAL's presence. What do you think?
AmericanSoldier1989
PSN: WOOKIE_TEETS
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:25:34 PM
wax on wasc off.
"I believe that forgiving terrorists is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting."
- General Norman Schwartzkof
DarkNite
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:26:28 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By AmericanSoldier1989:
wax on wasc off.

What you do in the privacy of your own home is none of my concern, sir.
liquidsniperR6
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:26:30 PM
It's his opinion and I doubt he will ever be in a position to make a call like that. Let it go
bagofcrabs65
I Have a Big Bag of Crabs
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:28:50 PM
But Afghans are a peaceful people that saved his life. Obviously they made the right decision.

You want to learn international relations in the real world? Stick a gun in a mother fuckers face and empty his brain pan. -Sylvan
HSDM
Oderint Dum Metuant
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:29:18 PM
Are you asking GD what they would do in that situation where you were going to be comprimised no matter what you did? Or are you asking us if wacking some shepherds is okay? The options you have at the time are very limited and must be made quickly. We are not in that situation, therefore we cannot Monday Morning Quarterback what they did.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
-H. L. Mencken-

Issued Nickname - "Trojan"
Sevenator
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:30:09 PM
Crush the shepherds...see them driven from before you....hear the lamentations of their goats...

This is the greatest thing.
poorman
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:30:50 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By DarkNite:
So I was explaining what happened on Operation Red Wings to a friend of mine who hadn't heard of it. When I got to the point of where the SEALs let the shepherds go he was like, "Why didn't they just kill them?"

After a spirited discussion on lawful combatants and the Law of Land Warfare, he still didn't think there would be a problem with waxing the shepherds if it was probable they were only going to report the SEAL's presence. What do you think?

I think technically, it would have been legal. But, ethically, I don't think I could have done it either.
FreeBear: I've been saying it for years: The Gene Pool needs more chlorine. A hellava lot more.
bagofcrabs65
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:31:55 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By HSDM:
Are you asking GD what they would do in that situation where you were going to be comprimised no matter what you did? Or are you asking us if wacking some shepherds is okay? The options you have at the time are very limited and must be made quickly. We are not in that situation, therefore we cannot Monday Morning Quarterback what they did.

They did get their asses kicked....(flame suit on)
You want to learn international relations in the real world? Stick a gun in a mother fuckers face and empty his brain pan. -Sylvan
bagofcrabs65
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:32:28 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By poorman:
Originally Posted By DarkNite:

I think technically, it would have been legal. But, ethically, I don't think I could have done it either.

Legal in what way?
AmericanSoldier1989
PSN: WOOKIE_TEETS
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:32:39 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By DarkNite:
Originally Posted By AmericanSoldier1989:
wax on wasc off.

but u said wacingx
"I believe that forgiving terrorists is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting."
- General Norman Schwartzkof
bteamleader
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:34:23 PM
That's a tough one. Everyone knows exactly what should have happened and what they would have done had they been there. I spoke with a Nightstalker who picked up A-525 in Gulf I. 525's hide was compromised by some kids. It was decided that the kids would be let go and 525 would GTFO. The Nightstalker opined that 525 should have killed the kids. Knowing this guy very well, I couldn't help but chuckle. I asked "would you?' He looked at me knowingly and said "no."

If you did something like that, you would never pass the mirror test again.
DarkNite
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:35:02 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By AmericanSoldier1989:
Originally Posted By AmericanSoldier1989:
wax on wasc off.

but u said wacingx

Different strokes for different folks, Willis.
Cowboy1967
Member... I worship at the alter on Nikki_Lane
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:35:46 PM
They were discovered either way. If the Shepard's didn't return the alarm would go out. Not killing the Shepard's probably cost them a couple of hours at the most. There was no shortage of fuck ups that led to the events of the day. Communications being the biggest of all.
There's nothing more natural than a beaver."

delemorte
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:37:00 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By poorman:

it would have been illegal and they took the moral high ground. It cost them their lives and it speaks volume that they took the path they did knowing it was going to bring them a world of pain.

they were better men than me.
Jahdai42
Lost in translation
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:37:09 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By bteamleader:

Concur
it is a tale. Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing
rustybelly
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:38:03 PM
Kill the herders then you have to kill the goats too, they're going to be wandering untended and raise suspicion .
bagofcrabs65
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:40:32 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By rustybelly:
Kill the herders then you have to kill the goats too, they're going to be wandering untended and raise suspicion .

Fucking goats everywhere!

Can't have goat shit all over the afghan mountainside.
rcsguns
Cylindrical sound dampener chip maker guy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:40:51 PM
Zip tie goat herders to tree. Shove goats off cliff. Profit!
Or radio in a FUBAR and go play cards.
When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.
FightingHellfish
TF MOUNTAIN HELLFISH - OEF 2009/2010
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:41:07 PM
Are we basing this discussion on the novel or the Hollywood movie?
tyman
Until they all come home....POW/MIA
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:42:45 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By rustybelly:

Smorgasbord for the Taliban?
RIP Jessie Davila - You are the ultimate hero.

The accumulated filth of their sex/murder will foam up and the whores/politicians will look up and shout "Save us!" I'll look down and whisper, "No."
Flats
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:43:11 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By bteamleader:
That's a tough one. Everyone knows exactly what should have happened and what they would have done had they been there. I spoke with a Nightstalker who picked up A-525 in Gulf I. 525's hide was compromised by some kids. It was decided that the kids would be let go and 525 would GTFO. The Nightstalker opined that 525 should have killed the kids. Knowing this guy very well, I couldn't help but chuckle. I asked "would you?' He looked at me knowingly and said "no."

Probably not if you had the option to UA the AO. If you didn't the calculus is different.

Not a decision I'd want to make, nor will I have to at this point. I certainly wouldn't second-guess someone who had to make that or a similar call, no matter what the results were.
KennyW1983
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:43:53 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By rcsguns:
Zip tie goat herders to tree. Profit!

I wonder why they didnt do that? It would have been a goof compromise. The shepherd would have gotten free eventually and it would have bought them the time to complete the mission or GTFO. No killing of goats or shepherds necessary.
"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you." - Andrew Wilkow
Join VCDL!
sherrick13
Nice (retired) JBT that says FBO
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:44:03 PM
I won't ever have to make that call. I salute those that have had to and won't second guess them.
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 no economic collapse has happened yet. Be happy, live your life. :-)
AudiDat
In case of emergency dial 1911
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:45:16 PM
[Last Edit: 1/6/2014 2:56:19 PM by AudiDat]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By bagofcrabs65:
But Afghans are a peaceful people that saved his life. Obviously they made the right decision.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm?

Marcus has already publicly stated that they made the wrong choice and that he'd do it differently if he had it to do over.
I'll try to find the interview...

ETA: http://navyseals.com/3647/60-minutes-interviews-lone-survivor-part-one/

8 minute mark
Liberalism is a disease devoid of rational thought and facts. Its crutch is emotion. - beardog30
PL#106
M4-AK
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:48:02 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By AudiDat:
Originally Posted By bagofcrabs65:

Marcus has already publicly stated that they made the wrong choice and that he'd do it differently if he had it to do over.

Damned either way, but from a cold tactical view point...
Sylvan
Socerer of Death's Construction
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:50:52 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By M4-AK:
Originally Posted By AudiDat:
Originally Posted By bagofcrabs65:

Damned either way, but from a cold tactical view point...

Breaking the law of land warfare is stupid.

What happens when joe shephard doesn't come back?

Here is a thought, have an exfil plan for compromise.

pinywoods
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:53:22 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By sherrick13:
I won't ever have to make that call. I salute those that have had to and won't second guess them.

+1
kssoftwareman
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:54:41 PM
Rules of Engagement and doing what is right. They made the right call but unfortunately the shephards were Taliban-friendly.
gwitness
Live...from the Temples of Syrinx.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:55:39 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By tyman:
Originally Posted By rustybelly:

Smorgasbord whores for the Taliban?

fify
Can't talk...gotta shoot.
C.E. "Bud" Anderson.
There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way."
stoner63a
Clinging to my God and Guns
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 2:58:39 PM
OP, start a Poll, I'm curious how many stone cold killers, well, at least keyboard commandos we have.
"and the LORD Almighty will shield them. They will destroy and overcome with slingstones...." Zechariah 9:15
Smatthew
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:03:35 PM
Why did we engage in limited warfare or attempt to nation build that sand pit in the first place? If we really want to do 20/20 hindsight we should have waged a punitive total war for about a year or two then left.
1luckys0b
somewhere in sandyland
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:04:30 PM
You are questioning the actions of a group of four when in actuality it was the team leaders decision. They followed orders and did the right thing. Simple as that.
"Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet"
Sylvan
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:05:04 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Smatthew:
Why did we engage in limited warfare or attempt to nation build that sand pit in the first place? If we really want to do 20/20 hindsight we should have waged a punitive total war for about a year or two then left.

To punish whom?
DRhodes
Wham the ham
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:06:04 PM
[Last Edit: 1/6/2014 3:07:01 PM by DRhodes]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Are we basing this discussion on the novel or the Hollywood movie?

Don't be silly dude. Everyone knows that the book (which was NOT written by a British author who writes SEAL fiction) was absolutely 100% correct. The movie will be just as great!

Adding this last line just in case my sarcasm wasn't obvious enough.
"Man didn't invent guns because he was tired of killing animals with a stick and a rock. He did it because he was tired of people trying to kill -him- with a stick and a rock "-Stutzcattle
Smatthew
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:06:15 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Sylvan:
Originally Posted By Smatthew:

To punish whom?

AQ/UBL/all parties supporting- you're an educated man, you know what total war is.

Flats
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:09:26 PM
Breaking the law of land warfare is stupid.

We've done it deliberately, and will probably do so again. If you have a small enough team in indian country, prisoners aren't an option. That's breaking the law right there.

I'm not saying we should do it lightly, and just like our OTM-bullets-that-aren't-really-hollowpoints there might be some BS language that we can use to claim we're not really breaking it, but we are. And I'm OK with that.
Black-Tiger
GIVE THEM NOTHING, BUT TAKE EVERYTHING!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:09:51 PM
I would've put a round on them. That alone could've saved the lives of everyone, specially the SEALs we lost when their Chinook was shot out of the sky.
Tennessee Squire / Maker's Mark Ambassador
RIP SGT. Robert "Bobby" Wagner - 8/1/2004, Mosul Iraq.
"I really think people are trying to out-stupid each other." - D233
ceverett
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:13:47 PM
Originally Posted By Sylvan:

To punish whom?

AQ/UBL/all parties supporting- you're an educated man, you know what total war is.

Most of 'stan didn't really support AQ/UBL.

Sylvan
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:21:58 PM
Originally Posted By Sylvan:

To punish whom?

so, thats a solid 100 dudes in all of AFghanitan in 2001.
Cowboy1967
Member... I worship at the alter on Nikki_Lane
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:22:32 PM

To punish whom?

The Taliban who were the governing body of Afghanistan at the time. The refused to turn over Osama bin Laden at the time. They were hosting Al Quaeda training camps also. They chose to go to war with us. I know you know this too.
There's nothing more natural than a beaver."

Sylvan
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:22:33 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Black-Tiger:
I would've put a round on them. That alone could've saved the lives of everyone, specially the SEALs we lost when their Chinook was shot out of the sky.

what about the fucking crew?

or do they not rate consideration?
Mclovin5-0
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:24:48 PM
Sounds like it wouldn't have made a difference
Black-Tiger
GIVE THEM NOTHING, BUT TAKE EVERYTHING!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:28:37 PM
Originally Posted By Black-Tiger:

what about the fucking crew?

or do they not rate consideration?

Yes, the Crew of Turbine 33 as well.

You know I meant them too.
Tennessee Squire / Maker's Mark Ambassador
RIP SGT. Robert "Bobby" Wagner - 8/1/2004, Mosul Iraq.
"I really think people are trying to out-stupid each other." - D233
Smatthew
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:31:48 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Cowboy1967:
The Taliban who were the governing body of Afghanistan at the time. The refused to turn over Osama bin Laden at the time. They were hosting Al Quaeda training camps also. They chose to go to war with us. I know you know this too.

...not to mention the financiers in Saudi Arabia, the fuckers in "Palestine" dancing in the streets, take your pick- the point is to make attacking us or supporting attacks on us hurt, period. In before the chess players accuse me of being needlessly violent without realizing that sanctions against funding the palis would have been a form of warfare.

AR45fan
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:32:46 PM
[Last Edit: 1/6/2014 3:35:02 PM by AR45fan]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By tyman:
Originally Posted By rustybelly:

Smorgasbord for the Taliban?

Orgy more like it. They would have had it coming, walking around without male escorts all uncovered and everything.
GADeerHunter
Nihil sine magno labore
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:34:21 PM
It would be hard for me to consider myself to be on the moral high ground anymore if I did that.
I took him home to a warm bath and pulled his fur/outer skin backward revieling a "jam" of rolled up skin. When I released it, the penis seemed to slide back in like normal.
Pokernut
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:34:51 PM
I don't have the sack to walk one mile in any of those men's shoes. I sure as hell haven't earned the right to criticize any decision they came to. Brave men.
godzillamax
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:37:20 PM
Why did we engage in limited warfare or attempt to nation build that sand pit in the first place?

Because the military does not question the righteousness, worthiness, or ROEs of the wars they are sent to fight. If they did I doubt America would have been involved in many wars post WWII or maybe Korea.

Originally Posted By Smatthew:If we really want to do 20/20 hindsight we should have waged a punitive total war for about a year or two then left

It's hard to engage in a punitive war when your enemy blends into a crowd. Conflicts today are not like WWII or Korea where the armies of two warring nations, clearly identified by their uniforms and standards, wage war against each other.
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
- Edmund Burke

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
- Thomas Jefferson
Smatthew
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:40:17 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By godzillamax:
Why did we engage in limited warfare or attempt to nation build that sand pit in the first place?

Because the military does not question the righteousness, worthiness, or ROEs of the wars they are sent to fight. If they did I doubt America would have been involved in many wars post WWII or maybe Korea.

Originally Posted By Smatthew:If we really want to do 20/20 hindsight we should have waged a punitive total war for about a year or two then left

It's hard to engage in a punitive war when your enemy blends into a crowd. Conflicts today are not like WWII or Korea where the armies of two warring nations, clearly identified by their uniforms and standards, wage war against each other.

The military doesn't make policy therefore policy can't be made? I'm talking about "we" as a nation.

The crowd is part of the problem if they host the enemy, look up what total warfare is.

evenflow
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2014 3:40:53 PM
Out of curiosity what type of pay load do the seals carry. They didn't have anything they could tie the herders up to a tree with?

Sucks either way, way better men than I could ever be.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 11