Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless I shoot it, I don't consider ammo as money spent. Rather, just changing forms. You can always throw it on Backpage or similar to convert it back to paper. I wouldn't be surprised if laws start being passed to limit the amount you can store - you know, the "why do you need 10,000 rounds of military assault children killing ammunition?". Personally, OP, I would keep buying and store it in a sealed container in a cool area.

But, I'm confused about your 20 rounds of 7.62x54r   Go to Sportsman's Guide and load up on a couple crates.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Store ammo for what?

If you buy ammo when it's cheap so you can shoot it when it's expensive, good on you, that's smart.

If you buy shit tons of ammo because of some imaginary EOTWAWKI scenario you envision, and leave it sitting in your basement until you die, you're a fucking delusional moron.

Ammo is for shooting, so get out and do it. The skills you learn and practice and hone from actually shooting would be faaar more important in a SHTF scenario, than having 10k of 5.56 sitting in your basement for 25 years.

Sorry to say, but there is never going to be a revolution to join, there is never going to be an FSA/zombie apocalypse, no one is ever going to need 10k 5.56 to arm fellow citizens, or barter with. Worst case realistic scenario is a Katrina-type localized civil issue, where having a few to several mags will be good enough.

My minimum? 3 G17 mags loaded, and 3-7 AR mags loaded. That's it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a nice start.

Ill stop buying when the concrete on the 2nd floor starts to dip or crack.

It also depends on how much you shoot (like mentioned). We do tactical rifle matches a few times a year. Its nothing to go thru 300rds each time or more. I know guys that shoot every single week in IDPA, they go thru 200-300rds a week @ 52 weeks a year, thats 15,600 of handgun ammo and that doesnt include practice, thats just the competition.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]
50k is storage  any less is just hunting supplies
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#5]
my goal is have enough of each caliber on hand... so, if it was banned tomorrow, there would be enough for my great grandkids to still be shooting.

obviously, unless i win the lottery, i will NEVER have enough.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#6]
500rd per pistol
1500rnd per rifle

the exception is 9mm and 22lr, one can never have enough of those
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Holy cow, this thread was moved overnight and EXPLODED! In regards to how much do I shoot, I used to shoot a couple hundred rounds of each per month, but i've since relocated and the closest public range is 40 miles away and I'm not even sure how good it is. Now, I can only go shooting when I visit my family back home, which isn't very often. I'm saving up to do some tactical pistol/carbine classes this summer so that'll put my stocks pretty low. Thanks for all the responses!
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#8]
You want to protect a house or land from invaders long term?

Mosin Nagant.

Cheap as Hell and not a lot that can go wrong with them. You can literally arm an entire neighborhood and supply sufficient ammo for a 1/4 of one modern weapon. I bought 2000 rounds of 7.62X54R last year for $250.00.

Do they inherently suck? Yeah. Do most have minute of barn? Yeah. Do they go boom most of the time? Yeah.

Don't get me wrong, I have many modern weapons that I keep stocked but It just makes financial sense.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You want to protect a house or land from invaders long term?

Mosin Nagant.

Cheap as Hell and not a lot that can go wrong with them. You can literally arm an entire neighborhood and supply sufficient ammo for a 1/4 of one modern weapon. I bought 2000 rounds of 7.62X54R last year for $250.00.

Do they inherently suck? Yeah. Do most have minute of barn? Yeah. Do they go boom most of the time? Yeah.

Don't get me wrong, I have many modern weapons that I keep stocked but It just makes financial sense.
View Quote

I have 2 Mosins, hence the 7.62x54r I have. Granted it's only 20rds, but that's because up until recently, I couldn't find any at a good price. I'll probably buy a crate after this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My wife keep giving me the and saying "what are you going to do with all that ammo When are you going to buy more ammo????".
View Quote

Fixed for my situation.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#11]
i can't wait until I can buy a 55 gallon drum of 5.56. That would be enough for me to have on hand.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Just like a max.....a minimum doesn't exist. As much as you can get.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#13]
You can never have enough.

Never.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I have no idea how much I have. The stack of ammo cans is 36" X 48" X 60" high. (approx.) I'll be damned if I'm gonna' count all that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Realistically I want a years supply for 3 Gun, trap, and USPSA on hand, so that I can continue to shoot those sports regardless of the current prices of ammunition.  Above and beyond that is components for at least another year of shooting, and an "oh shit" supply of 5.56 and 9mm, which is basically 1,000 rounds of each that I don't shoot for "fun".

22 LR I will continue to stack as long as I have room.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Well my point for this thread was pretty much how much should I have, on hand, before I can start focusing on other items. Right now, ammo is my main focus. I'd like to start focusing on magazines, water, other things in the near future, but I'm trying to get an estimate of how much I can get to before switching my focus.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I once did a thread like this, except my numbers were higher than yours.

You're overthinking. Just buy more ammo. That's always the answer. When you have no ammo you'll want 100 rounds. When you have 100 you'll want 1000. When you have 1000 you'll want 5k. When you hit 5k you'll want 10k. When you hit 10k you'll want 20k. When you hit 20k you'll want 50k.

It never ends.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I keep at least 500 Winchester Rangers in 9mm around, as well as 1200 rounds of 5.56 that are tucked away in loaded mags.

The rest of my ammo is just for fun, but I usually have a case or two laying around.  When I don't have an unopened case on the shelf I'll reorder however much I can afford at the time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well my point for this thread was pretty much how much should I have, on hand, before I can start focusing on other items. Right now, ammo is my main focus. I'd like to start focusing on magazines, water, other things in the near future, but I'm trying to get an estimate of how much I can get to before switching my focus.
View Quote

If you have 250 rounds of defensive ammo for each of two defensive pistols, and 500 rounds for each of two defensive rifles, and 100 rounds for one defensive shotgun, and 250 rounds of assorted birdshot, and 1000 rounds of .22lr, you have ~2850 more rounds than you'll ever fire in anger or self-defense, and you can safely start focusing on other things.

In theory.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#20]
shit that is a weekend at the farm.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

In that case, I would quit focusing on ammunition right now.  Ammo is expensive today.  Guns and parts are about as cheap as they're going to be, and other preps are less volatile in pricing than either.

Maximize your dollar.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What would you consider to be your bare minimum amount of ammo? Basically, "I wouldn't be caught dead without ______ rds of each caliber!" I'm currently about where I want to be for some calibers, but far from there for a few calibers

Currently, I have:
1,800 rds 9mm
500 rds 12Ga, mixed between 50 slugs, 150 00Buck, and 300 Birdshot
1000 rds 22LR
900 rds 5.56
160 rds .308
20 rds 7.62x54

It's a start, but I know I'm a ways off, but what id your bare minimum ammo storage?
View Quote

. You will be over run in the first 15 minutes of the Zombie Apocalypse.
With such a  meager ammo supply, you'd better
 keep cyanide tabs handy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#23]
1000 each of .223, .308, 762x54r
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#24]
2 loaded mags for my CCW. But I have more than that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think I once did a thread like this, except my numbers were higher than yours.

You're overthinking. Just buy more ammo. That's always the answer. When you have no ammo you'll want 100 rounds. When you have 100 you'll want 1000. When you have 1000 you'll want 5k. When you hit 5k you'll want 10k. When you hit 10k you'll want 20k. When you hit 20k you'll want 50k.

It never ends.

View Quote

Maybe for you. Certainly not for everyone. 99% of gun owners don't think that way.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Maybe for you. Certainly not for everyone. 99% of gun owners don't think that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It never ends.

You're probably right. A 10.22 and a .38 and a box of ammo for each of them ought to be plenty.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm happy with 500 rounds per rifle in 5.56, 7.62x39, and .308. This is quality factory ammo, mostly 77gr OTM, yugo M67, and 155gr AMAX, sealed in ammo cans and forgotten about. It doesn't get used unless there is an actual emergency. This doesn't include the ammo on the plate carriers I have laying around. The same is done with the pistols, but only 250 rounds instead of 500. All the other oddball calibers get 500 rounds in total. I love .458 win mag, but I don't have the $$$ to stock 2k of it. This is what I consider my bare minimum and doesn't include actual training ammo.

Honestly I don't have a lot, but I shoot way more than I store. I figure it's better to have only a few thousand rounds and  the skills learned from shooting 10k+ a year than to have 10k rounds and no skills.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I just broke down and ordered a crate of x54R from SG. Had a couple $20 off gift cards I got last week from them plus free shipping. $141.48 shipped for 880rds isn't too shabby.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When you run out of storage space.
View Quote

This..........
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This..........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you run out of storage space.

This..........

Well, I'm a college student in a small apartment. I'm quickly running out of storage space and I'm not trying to have my ammo, guns, small preps bleed into the living space.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Given the totals that you mentioned along with the new crate of 7.62x54R I would be inclined to pick up a case of 5.56 and a few hundred rounds of .308. Of course that depends on which is your primary rifle and if you plan on handing any rifles out to others should the need arise.

As for magazines how many do you have now (I might have missed it).

Other preps such as food, water and everything else can drive a man to drink if you think about everything at once. You need to look at what you have, what you will need for each possible scenario starting with weather related first and then look at what others can bring provided there are others coming.

If you haven't already, grab a coffee and check out in the survival forums here and when you're done there check out http://www.survivalistboards.com/ to have your mind blown.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Two load outs. I can carry (6) 30 round mags, so enough ammo for 12 mags at a minimum.

I carry 2 spare mags for pistol, so enough ammo for 4 mags.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What would you consider to be your bare minimum amount of ammo? Basically, "I wouldn't be caught dead without ______ rds of each caliber!" I'm currently about where I want to be for some calibers, but far from there for a few calibers

Before my tragic boating accident:
Currently, I have:
1,800 rds 9mm.............................    1,800
500 rds 12Ga, mixed between 50 slugs, 150 00Buck, and 300 Birdshot 25 to 50
1000 rds 22LR.............................5,000
900 rds 5.56.....................................1,800
160 rds .308........................................250
20 rds 7.62x54  ---------- 40S&W.........600

It's a start, but I know I'm a ways off, but what id your bare minimum ammo storage?
View Quote

I am so sad now. My new hobby is Internet Posting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Given the totals that you mentioned along with the new crate of 7.62x54R I would be inclined to pick up a case of 5.56 and a few hundred rounds of .308. Of course that depends on which is your primary rifle and if you plan on handing any rifles out to others should the need arise.

Other preps such as food, water and everything else can drive a man to drink if you think about everything at once. You need to look at what you have, what you will need for each possible scenario starting with weather related first and then look at what others can bring provided there are others coming.

If you haven't already, grab a coffee and check out in the survival forums here and when you're done there check out http://www.survivalistboards.com/ to have your mind blown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .308 will be my main weapon contingent on it's reliability (am picking it up within the next two weeks). I will hand out the mosin's to friends. My parents have their own weapons, but aren't concerned with ammo prepping. I'm gathering the bulk of the ammo, they're doing the bulk of the actual prepping. I currently only have 35 mags for the AR and 5 magazines for the .308.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Is this another guns and ammo are icky mr. G man threads?

All my ammo was lost when my canoe tipped over.....sorry don't have any any more.

Or is this another my dick and ammo fort are bigger than yours thread?

Poll incoming?

I'm depressed cause it's this shit again.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Bare minimum for me is

AR's 2000+ ea.
Pistols 500+ ea.
22lr 2000+ ea.
Shotgun 500+ bird, 100+ buck, 100+ slugs
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

All my ammo was lost when my canoe tipped over.....sorry don't have any any more.

Poll incoming?

View Quote

I wasn't intending it to be either. Just trying to get a reasonable estimate of what should a baseline be for ammo storage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#38]
I used to say 1k of each caliber but when I got there i thought 2k was more appropriate... It all depends on how much you shoot. I've always thought it would be good to have extra on hand to barter with but now that our police are doing the Katrina no knocks, I'm hesitant to stack it too deep and we can only carry so much.  I'm now focusing my meager funds toward other areas of belegs hideaway like a stash of food or a moat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I like that rule.

When you guys store in ammo cans, do you store loose or in boxes?
View Quote

Just put the boxes in the cans and close the lids.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I wasn't intending it to be either. Just trying to get a reasonable estimate of what should a baseline be for ammo storage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poll incoming?

No harm intended....just having fun too.
The real answer is that you can't have enough-until you are forced to move then you only get to keep what you can carry at a dead run in two hands.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#41]
The correct answer is 'more than you currently have'.

I'm trying to consolidate calibers. I have 556 and 308 ARs, but never shoot the 308 and would rather buy 500 rounds of 556 as opposed to 250 rounds of 308 ( more or less). Likewise with all of the major pistol calibers. I'm keeping just enough 45 for my 1911 and focusing more on stacking 9mm (I have plenty of 40 personal defense rounds already).

My goal this year is to add ammo, lowers, and mags regularly each month. Ammo wise, I'll focus first on 556 then on 9mm (and 22 if I can ever find it).
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Store ammo for what?

If you buy ammo when it's cheap so you can shoot it when it's expensive, good on you, that's smart.

If you buy shit tons of ammo because of some imaginary EOTWAWKI scenario you envision, and leave it sitting in your basement until you die, you're a fucking delusional moron.

Ammo is for shooting, so get out and do it. The skills you learn and practice and hone from actually shooting would be faaar more important in a SHTF scenario, than having 10k of 5.56 sitting in your basement for 25 years.

Sorry to say, but there is never going to be a revolution to join, there is never going to be an FSA/zombie apocalypse, no one is ever going to need 10k 5.56 to arm fellow citizens, or barter with. Worst case realistic scenario is a Katrina-type localized civil issue, where having a few to several mags will be good enough.

My minimum? 3 G17 mags loaded, and 3-7 AR mags loaded. That's it.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I dont know what the number is but I know I am not there yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The correct answer is 'more than you currently have'.

I'm trying to consolidate calibers. I have 556 and 308 ARs, but never shoot the 308 and would rather buy 500 rounds of 556 as opposed to 250 rounds of 308 ( more or less). Likewise with all of the major pistol calibers. I'm keeping just enough 45 for my 1911 and focusing more on stacking 9mm (I have plenty of 40 personal defense rounds already).

My goal this year is to add ammo, lowers, and mags regularly each month. Ammo wise, I'll focus first on 556 then on 9mm (and 22 if I can ever find it).
View Quote

Same here, for consolidating. I just got rid of my .40 because I never shot it and It was the only one I own. I decided to forgo an AK because I don't want another caliber to stock up on. I might pick up a vepr in X54R but I think I'll just stick to AR's for now. I don't see myself picking up another weapon in a different caliber anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you are stocking for SHTF, a full combat load is plenty (7 loaded mags). The chances of you (or me, or most of Arfcom) surviving a gunfight that requires more than that are exceptionally slim.

If you're stocking for another panic or a ban, there is no such thing as enough.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
As was already stated that is very subjective. I shoot on a regular basis and in these times I would probably want 10K of most caliber I shoot.

I suppose as an absolute minimum, not shooting on a regular basis, a few hundred for each caliber would do.
View Quote

Good point. when I was in my 20's, I was more a spray and pray shooter so I had several cases of different calibres, usually steel cased.

Now I only shoot 2-300 rounds a weekend, maybe once a month.
So 1000 rounds of 5.56mm will last me all summer long, but now it is more likely to be M193.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#48]
1k per firearm if it's a pistol or rifle 500 for shotgun
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#49]
This thread has given me a marvelous idea! I`m going to take a pic of my ammo stash and use it to make Xmas cards and mail it to random Democrats behind enemy lines.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My wife keep giving me the and saying "what are you going to do with all that ammo????".
View Quote

Ask her WTF is she going to do with all those shoes?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top