Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 1/5/2014 9:10:10 PM EDT
I'm a substitute teacher by trade and after subbing in several school districts all over Oregon, I have found sadly that not many kids are learning cursive writing anymore.

Asking the teachers I filled in for and many just said that it is too late to cover it.

WTH??

Anyone with kids, are they learning cursive in their school or is it is a dying art not needed anymore?

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
They don't teach it anymore around here. I work with a guy, 20, can't read or write cursive.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Learning to write cursive is a huge waste of time when kids are sucking at math and science.

I can see READING cursive being an important lesson, but writing it? Who needs it?
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Anachronistic waste of time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They don't teach it anymore around here. I work with a guy, 20, can't read or write cursive.
View Quote

WAT. My five-year-olds can read cursive.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I teach it to mine.

I have a 7th grade girl,and  5th grade boy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine were taught cursive in the 3rd grade.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I know how to read and write it, but still hate writing the letter z.  I really don't use it much anymore, just doesn't seem practical.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]
From what I can tell, the only reason to learn cursive would be to stop people over 40 from grumbling. I'm 27, I learned it. Used it while it was required, then forgot it. I can still read it of course, but writing it would take a review of at least 20 minutes. And I'm not willing to commit that amount of time to it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#11]
No.  It's genius.  It's like a code that ghetto folk can't interpret.  Seriously, when I start my drug cartel all messages are going to be passed in cursive.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm 30. Stopped using it in HS.

Waste of time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm a substitute teacher by trade and after subbing in several school districts all over Oregon, I have found sadly that not many kids are learning cursive writing anymore.

Asking the teachers I filled in for and many just said that it is too late to cover it.

WTH??

Anyone with kids, are they learning cursive in their school or is it is a dying art not needed anymore?

View Quote

OP, put up a poll, please.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#14]
What was the purpose of cursive, and is it still relevant?

I've always assumed the purpose of cursive was that it was faster to write than print. If that's the case, then it's no longer relevant given the fact that typing is faster than cursive, and nearly everyone carries a device made for typing. If I'm wrong about it's purpose, then maybe it's still relevant.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a sign of education and intelligence. Kinda like being able to read more than 120 words in one sitting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Z is like a retarded Y with downs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Cursive was taught when I was a wee lad, but when I got in the Navy it was "write in all caps perfectly", which is what I still do twenty+ years later. Other than signatures, I never use it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's a sign of education and intelligence. Kinda like being able to read more than 120 words in one sitting.
View Quote

Not really.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I write fuckin curses
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Only cursive I write is my name.  If I have to write it otherwise, it takes me a little time to remember how to do the capital letters.

I can't imagine not being able to read it, though.  Learn that, if nothing else.

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#21]
They do not teach it here anymore. I would have a hard time figuring out how to write in it again myself. I have not written cursive for over 20 years. None of the jobs that I have had allow it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol.

No. You could read cursive perfectly, but if you can't comprehend the meaning behind the words, you're not intelligent.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't used it since school, back when they said we'd "need" to be able to write in it. No one could read my cursive writing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Only cursive I write is my name.  If I have to write it otherwise, it takes me a little time to remember how to do the capital letters.

I can't imagine not being able to read it, though.  Learn that, if nothing else.  
View Quote

The only one that gets me is Q. WTF is that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Learning to write cursive is a huge waste of time when kids are sucking at math and science.

I can see READING cursive being an important lesson, but writing it? Who needs it?
View Quote

Worth bold print.

Sure if your kid can go to a private school with time for fencing classes, etc.  then sure throw in cursive writing as another leg up but as a basic thing, I wish my instructors had spent more time on math. I might be ahead more than I am now if they had.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#26]
25 year old, haven't used cursive since middle school.
The only time I've needed it was writing checks. And even then I don't use it once I forgot how useless it is.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#27]
They don't teach calligraphy or Latin and Greek anymore either.

O tempora! O mores!

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Worth bold print.

Sure if your kid can go to a private school with time for fencing classes, etc.  then sure throw in cursive writing as another leg up but as a basic thing, I wish my instructors had spent more time on math. I might be ahead more than I am now if they had.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth bold print.

I went to Catholic school, we seemed to have time for all of it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I learned it in elementary school, was told I'd need it for HS and College and literally never had an assignment since elementary school that required any cursive beyond a signature.

Completely anachronistic in an age where almost everything is typed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't want your field notes in cursive because you suck at it and I can't read them.  You can suck at printing and I can still read it.

I spent a lot of time learning to write cursive in school in the 70s, I regard it as a waste of time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I graduated in 1988.

I remember learning cursive as a kid and thought it was retarded.

I never wrote cursive, however my signature is kinda cursivey
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't want your field notes in cursive because you suck at it and I can't read them.  You can suck at printing and I can still read it.

I spent a lot of time learning to write cursive in school in the 70s, I regard it as a waste of time.
View Quote

Try reading prescriptions...
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I write in cursive every time i have a card to sent to someone and all my notes at work are in cursive
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They don't teach calligraphy or Latin and Greek anymore either.

O tempora! O mores!  
View Quote

But they should, really.  Seems like to ask anything of schools today is to ask too much, though.

I personally learned cursive, and somehow that was done without sacrificing any important subjects, and still know how to write in cursive to this day (and still do write in cursive sometimes, although I write in a different script than what I was taught in school).
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember learning cursive in 2nd grade, about 20 years ago. I didn't use it at all until one day in fifth grade English class I just made the decision to write cursive from then on. I write a decent amount in my line of work and I still get a bit of satisfaction out of seeing my handwriting. Its faster for me and cuts down on writers cramp.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Cursive is obsolete. Are you reading this post in cursive? No. Well, this post is indicative of the text used for 99.5% of all business and casual written communication.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

TLDR.

I haven't written in cursive since seventh grade.  I'm 40 now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you can read it, then surely you can learn to write it simply by looking.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I remember learning cursive in 2nd grade, about 20 years ago. I didn't use it at all until one day in fifth grade English class I just made the decision to write cursive from then on. I write a decent amount in my line of work and I still get a bit of satisfaction out of seeing my handwriting. Its faster for me and cuts down on writers cramp.
View Quote
I'd agree it is faster, for taking notes etc.  The problem is that folks want to push that speed to the point where their writing is not legible.  Most people who took a lot of notes in cursive in college are terrible at it, even in their 50s and 60s.

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#40]
The idea that teaching anything takes away from being able to teach anything else is simply laughable, and says more about the person making that claim than anything about an intelligent child's ability to learn when taught by competent instructors.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'd agree it is faster, for taking notes etc.  The problem is that folks want to push that speed to the point where their writing is not legible.  Most people who took a lot of notes in cursive in college are terrible at it, even in their 50s and 60s.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm the complete opposite. It takes me longer to write in cursive than it does print.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The idea that teaching anything takes away from being able to teach anything else is simply laughable, and says more about the person making that claim than anything about an intelligent child's ability to learn when taught by competent instructors.
View Quote

I don't agree with you often, but I do on this subject.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I write in cursive every time i have a card to sent to someone and all my notes at work are in cursive
View Quote

It is used for personal communication.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cursive was taught when I was a wee lad, but when I got in the Navy it was "write in all caps perfectly", which is what I still do twenty+ years later. Other than signatures, I never use it.
View Quote

Same here.  Military killed my cursive.  Can read it, but I doubt I could write it anymore.  I still use all caps when I write.

IMO it really is unneccesary today.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Cursive is obsolete. Are you reading this post in cursive? No. Well, this post is indicative of the text used for 99.5% of all business and casual written communication.
View Quote

I wouldn't call it obsolete though. That's like saying pens are obsolete because we don't write letters anymore. And its only used in 99.5% of written communication because we make the choice not to learn/use it. Its a mark of one's education. If I signed an official document in print, I'd look like a retard. Like someone that dropped out in the 4th grade.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#46]
It went away with sir/ma'am, Mr./Mrs./Ms. etc...
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I was well trained in the 'Palmer method' of penmanship by psychotic nuns in the 1960s but I have all but lost that skill due to lack of use. Whenever I have to write something down I am shocked at how pathetic my handwriting is now. Fortunately for me those psychotic nuns are long dead or in homes somewhere....
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#48]
They stopped teaching it in schools around here several years ago .
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#49]
I can sign my name. The rest is about as useful to me as Cyrillic script is.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I became a Draftsman before the PC existed, learned to write in all caps in architect and engineering style, used an Ames lettering guide and some other type of ink stencil I can't remember the name of anymore to make the letters on the mylar and vellum paper for mechanical and electrical drawings.  Moved to CAD when the IBM PC came out, but still did a shit load of hand drafting.  

After that I became an Engineer and continued to write like that (all caps) for the better part of 30 years.  However, when I'm in a meeting and I want to take really fast notes, I still write in cursive because it's faster for me.  Growing up in grade school and high school everybody wrote in cursive, and because I still use it for notes, I can write it pretty damn fast.  However, whenever I write something for somebody else to read, I use the all caps engineering block lettering from my drafting days because it's easier for others to read, and most people with an engineering background write block letter style.

I don't think it's a big deal if they only teach kids to read cursive but don't emphasis writing it, most people type anymore, so learning to write it is probably a waste of time.  However, if you do use it regularly, it is faster than writing block style.  I still prefer typing over writing, gives my hand a cramp anymore if I write too much.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top