Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, I actually saw two laps live this week

Always a little behind aren't yah

A little behind is an improvement for me
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It was a snoozer for sure.  It's a shame, because Despite Mercedes dominance, it's been a great season, IMO.

The only interesting thing was Rosberg's return to P2 and running 1 set of tires for the whole race.  It takes away from Hamilton's 2 miraculous come from behind races a bit.  The damn car is just that good.

The best thing that could happen in the last races would be to see Bottas win a GP, for me.  I like the kid.  On and off the track, he impresses me as a confident, competent guy.  He seems like he's been in F1 for 10 years.  Ricciardo impresses me in the same way.  They appear to be the future of F1, provided they are in good rides, of course.

Another general observation on F1:  I agree with Steve Matchett, the radio rules and the fuel rules are counter to what F1 has always been and should always be about.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well at least we didn't have to send out a search party
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Interesting flight back from Sochi.....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzxVvsvIQAEaoXj.jpg:large
View Quote

Coulthard plane ?

nope nope nope... ;)
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
My vote for next race...

Put the two slowest drivers (Kobiashi and Chilton) in the Mercs next race.  I bet it's still a 1-2 lockout if they manage to not crash.  

I don't know why Merc are even bothering to pay Ham or Rosberg at this point...the damn car could win races by itself... it makes last year's Red Bull domination look almost fair by comparison.. RBR only had one car that could pull out a 30 second gap on the whole field.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Eddie Jordan just ruined the pic
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably his plane.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That was a really boring race. Not a single good battle. I thought RIC and VET were going to get into it but didn't. Then I thought ROS and BOT were going to get into it but didn't.
View Quote

+1 sucked balls
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Probably his plane.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably his plane.

Eddie Jordan didn't even have a ticket, he just heard and followed the rumors...

But seriously. When EJ starts dishing it pays to listen because he's almost always right. It's crazy just how plugged in he is.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It was a snoozer for sure.  It's a shame, because Despite Mercedes dominance, it's been a great season, IMO.

View Quote

The only interesting thing was Rosberg's return to P2 and running 1 set of tires for the whole race.  It takes away from Hamilton's 2 miraculous come from behind races a bit.  The damn car is just that good.

Yep, glad it was proven that the car is the star. Would love to have seen the 2 AMG's going at it the whole time though.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My vote for next race...

Put the two slowest drivers (Kobiashi and Chilton) in the Mercs next race.  I bet it's still a 1-2 lockout if they manage to not crash.  

I don't know why Merc are even bothering to pay Ham or Rosberg at this point...the damn car could win races by itself... it makes last year's Red Bull domination look almost fair by comparison.. RBR only had one car that could pull out a 30 second gap on the whole field.
View Quote

I'm surprised ROS kept it together. he seems to get frazzled easy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Update released on Jules Bianchi.

Yokkaichi, Japan
14 October 2014, 00.00hrs local/16.00hrs BST

At the request of the family of Jules Bianchi, and in conjunction with the Mie General Medical Center in Yokkaichi, the Marussia F1 Team is able to provide the following information regarding Jules’ medical condition:

The past nine days have been extremely difficult for Jules and his family. As a consequence of the accident at Suzuka, a number of medical challenges have needed to be overcome and the situation remains challenging due to the diffuse axonal traumatic brain injury Jules has sustained.

Jules remains in a critical but stable condition in the Intensive Care Unit of Mie General Medical Center in Yokkaichi. The Bianchi family continue to be comforted by the thoughts and prayers of Jules’ many fans and the motor sport community. In particular, the many demonstrations of support and affection during the course of the Russian Grand Prix in Sochi were of enormous comfort to Jules’ parents and the relatives and friends also present at the hospital.

The family will provide further medical updates when appropriate.

Read more at http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/1042/#u0ywHlByF1DvVOFB.99
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#14]

I agree with Vettel. F1, "the pinnacle of motorsport" where the main goal is to skip qualifying and preserve fuel. They should just switch to bicycle races, Alonso would probably dominate that as well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#15]
If Vettel didn't mind burning bridges he'd be exceptionally dangerous right now.  

....To Mock the FIA he could run the crap out of what engine he's given ignoring all fuel consumption warnings and park it when he runs out.

....He could Rosberg a Williams or two to benefit his future employer.

sure there's other mischievous things as well
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm surprised ROS kept it together. he seems to get frazzled easy.
View Quote

He makes rookie mistakes but I remember when he was a rookie, he ran one HELL of a race for BMW Sauber, they told him "We want 30 qualifying laps" and he gave them 30 qaulifying laps during the race.  He just needs to learn to be a little more ruthless like his teammate.  He's your typical above average F1 driver, he's just as good as Ham, Kimi, or Seb if you put him in the right car, as has been shown this season.. he just needs to stop being nice.

I'm still upset that he took Merc's punishment for Spa.. he should have walked out of that meeting and told the media exactly what they did to him because he wrecked Bitchy McBitchington's race by not accepting getting the door slammed in his face.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If Vettel didn't mind burning bridges he'd be exceptionally dangerous right now.  

....To Mock the FIA he could run the crap out of what engine he's given ignoring all fuel consumption warnings and park it when he runs out.

....He could Rosberg a Williams or two to benefit his future employer.

sure there's other mischievous things as well
View Quote
Seb and Bernie are buddies, I don't see that happening.. Hell, I'm sure that Seb's move was at least partly the little troll's idea.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Just bumping to get some life in the thread. How about this blast from the recent past?

5 wheels, 3.3 seconds.

Sam Michael, sporting director at McLaren, retiring at end of season.

25 years ago, today.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Plumber, you got that last one in say, wallpaper size? PERFECT desktop background.  

It's the greatest motorsport rivalry of all time, summed up in one single picture.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Plumber, you got that last one in say, wallpaper size? PERFECT desktop background.  

It's the greatest motorsport rivalry of all time, summed up in one single picture.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

this work?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
this work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this work?
Thank you.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I am very suspect of this story but it reads with a very official tone.

Audi to F1 in 2016.

With Porsche taking the endurance racing helm for Volkswagen an F1 entry for Audi would make sense to compete against Mercedes. Who know, maybe BMW could be dragged back in?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Audi to F1 in 2016.

With Porsche taking the endurance racing helm for Volkswagen an F1 entry for Audi would make sense to compete against Mercedes. Who know, maybe BMW could be dragged back in?
View Quote

Cool.  Makes sense really.  The goliath that is VolkwagenAG probably spends more money on toilet paper and coffee every month than a competitive F1 season costs.

I still think they should run their team under the Lamborghini banner just to send the Tifosi into apoplexy.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Cool.  Makes sense really.  The goliath that is VolkwagenAG probably spends more money on toilet paper and coffee every month than a competitive F1 season costs.

I still think they should run their team under the Lamborghini banner just to send the Tifosi into apoplexy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Audi to F1 in 2016.

I can see it happening.  RBR will just simply turn into Audi factory racing, and the Red Bull sponsorship will travel right along.  No new team, just a new name.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#30]
good car-bad driver= winner
bad car-good driver=loser

Quoted:
My vote for next race...

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I can see it happening.  RBR will just simply turn into Audi factory racing, and the Red Bull sponsorship will travel right along.  No new team, just a new name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Audi to F1 in 2016.

If Audi returns, and they want to return to the turbo 4, I'd say it's time to open engine development to "run what you brung," and allow refueling again.  Granted we haven't had one this year, but I'm curious as to the number of incidents of tires coming off the axle before refueling was banned vs after refueling was banned.  Dumping fuel in slows down the pit stop and the tire guys can make sure they do their job properly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If Audi returns, and they want to return to the turbo 4, I'd say it's time to open engine development to "run what you brung," and allow refueling again.  Granted we haven't had one this year, but I'm curious as to the number of incidents of tires coming off the axle before refueling was banned vs after refueling was banned.  Dumping fuel in slows down the pit stop and the tire guys can make sure they do their job properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Audi to F1 in 2016.

Yeah, but how many fuel related fires in the pit lane have there been since the ban? Yep... Zero.
Sorry, but pitlane refueling scares the hell out of me, especially with the electrical power that these cars can carry now.  Go back to 2012, and see what a faulty KERS system did to Williams' garage in Spain, then think about that happening in the middle of a pit lane, during the race.  It's a pretty damn scary thought to someone that has worked on a race crew.
I think the fueling ban is about the only rule they've had in the last 10 that makes sense.
Would like to see Audi on the side of a Redbull.. F1 needs more competition in areas besides the drivers and teams... more engine and tire manufacturers can only improve things...IF the FIA backs off on the technology freezes.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah, but how many fuel related fires in the pit lane have there been since the ban? Yep... Zero.

Sorry, but pitlane refueling scares the hell out of me, especially with the electrical power that these cars can carry now.  Go back to 2012, and see what a faulty KERS system did to Williams' garage in Spain, then think about that happening in the middle of a pit lane, during the race.  It's a pretty damn scary thought to someone that has worked on a race crew.

I think the fueling ban is about the only rule they've had in the last 10 that makes sense.

View Quote

I got no problem with ending pit lane refueling.  Limiting fuel flow is really dumb.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I got no problem with ending pit lane refueling.  Limiting fuel flow is really dumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, give them a limit for the race, and let them run it however the hell they want.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I think the refueling ban is ridiculous. It allows a lot more strategy and makes the race more exciting. The races have become so predictable now. Indycar, Nascar, V8 Supercars, USCC, WEC, ADAC, BTCC, and DTM all allow refueling. But the "pinnacle" of motorsport? Nope, "too dangerous."
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#36]
oops

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Audi to F1 in 2016.

View Quote
i hope Audi doesnt do that to dr ulrich.  F1 is a losing venture for the most part.  hell, use the VW nameplate and build a W6 turbo engine.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Would like to see Audi on the side of a Redbull.. F1 needs more competition in areas besides the drivers and teams... more engine and tire manufacturers can only improve things...IF the FIA backs off on the technology freezes.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Audi to F1 in 2016.

whiner.  LeMans does just fine with refueling.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

if the FiA is so concerned about safety, why do they let the pit crews hangout and let the car pull in on them?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

LeMans stop is generally about 45 seconds to 1 minute... cannot afford that kind of time frame in F1.. and the old fueling rigs used were not the safest devices ever invented.

Also, Let me know when you bury one of your friends because of serious burns, then you can call me all the names you want asshole.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:59:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

LeMans stop is generally about 45 seconds to 1 minute... cannot afford that kind of time frame in F1.. and the old fueling rigs used were not the safest devices ever invented.

Also, Let me know when you bury one of your friends because of serious burns, then you can call me all the names you want asshole.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe they need some fueling cans like NASCAR
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
if the FiA is so concerned about safety, why do they let the pit crews hangout and let the car pull in on them?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nobody has been killed yet due to that, that I know of.  I could see them changing it if there were a need though.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not safe either.. but I'm still impressed that at least 10 people don't die at every NASCAR race... that is a fucking scary pitlane.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#44]
The FIA isn't likely to bring back refueling due to the insurance expense.  A lot of the newer venues complained about that.

It also cost big $$$ to transport that gear to the flyaway races.

It's a side consequence of filling the schedule with races run on shake-and-bake circuits in dodgy countries.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Well, looks like Marussia isn't coming to Austin either  Guess since Caterham has folded, they don't have anyone to compete against now, and they are just going to save for next season.  So that's right folks 18 cars at Austin, and Alexander Rossi gets screwed out of another chance at a drive
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Maybe Audi can get the TDI diesel on the grid and do away with these stupid "power units". How much if any input do the teams have on rule changes as the radio and fuel and engine changes they now have been stuck with ?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#47]
perhaps Audi will join F1.

here is a link to the article   http://www.racer.com/f1/item/110223-speculation-could-an-audi-f1-program-already-be-up-and-running

The report that Audi is preparing a Formula 1 effort for 2016 has stirred intense speculation, as well as reconsideration of past news for hints about possible future developments.
View Quote

to late to the party I just saw it was already posted :)

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well, looks like Marussia isn't coming to Austin either  Guess since Caterham has folded, they don't have anyone to compete against now, and they are just going to save for next season.  So that's right folks 18 cars at Austin, and Alexander Rossi gets screwed out of another chance at a drive
View Quote

Even with backmarkers I don't like to see teams or drivers miss races.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/fhuAGag.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both Marussia and Caterham are DOA and won't return unless someone steps up and buys them.

It is a real possibility that Red Bull and Ferrari will run 3 cars next year. McLaren is trying to figure out the finances (them or Bernie paying). If they back out, Mercedes is next in line for the option.

I have no idea how they will handle points,etc.

Crisis time in F1. (Lotus and Sauber are also shaky)
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Both Marussia and Caterham are DOA and won't return unless someone steps up and buys them.

It is a real possibility that Red Bull and Ferrari will run 3 cars next year. McLaren is trying to figure out the finances (them or Bernie paying). If they back out, Mercedes is next in line for the option.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw with a great product and this is what happens.
Page / 100
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top