User Panel

Page / 100
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that nose.
View Quote

That's just what they assume they'll look like, no one knows for sure till the teams unveil them  Remember all the teams find someway to skirt the rules
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Happy 45th Birthday Michael get well soon
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

i want alonso to finally get #3, but if he cant then i hope for kimi to get #2.

anyone but vettel at this point. i watch F1 as a religion. it is really the only form of sport i care about and invest a lot of time in.

for the first time in 10 years of F1 viewing i failed to watch a race. actually i stopped watching after Vettel tied it up in india. i just did not care after that.

and they keep pushing out the old glorious race tracks in favor of these new stadium style yawn fest circuits. now all the gimicky points systems, kers,drs. its getting to be F1 is more and more like WWF/Nascar.

costs are out of control and teams you want to see flurish are dead in the water and you really only have a few guys who have a legitimate shot at winning.

all the efforts to make it more exciting seem to, in my mind, be making it more stale and dull.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a Mercedes-AMG fan, but my money is on the Iceman this year. He will beat Vettel & take the championship.

anyone but vettel at this point. i watch F1 as a religion. it is really the only form of sport i care about and invest a lot of time in.

for the first time in 10 years of F1 viewing i failed to watch a race. actually i stopped watching after Vettel tied it up in india. i just did not care after that.

and they keep pushing out the old glorious race tracks in favor of these new stadium style yawn fest circuits. now all the gimicky points systems, kers,drs. its getting to be F1 is more and more like WWF/Nascar.

costs are out of control and teams you want to see flurish are dead in the water and you really only have a few guys who have a legitimate shot at winning.

all the efforts to make it more exciting seem to, in my mind, be making it more stale and dull.

Damn I would swear that you infiltrated my brain and stole my words.
I also think so many of the changes that were put in place years ago were to do one thing to stop Ferrari's dominance of the sport.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a Mercedes-AMG fan, but my money is on the Iceman this year. He will beat Vettel & take the championship.

I agree with some of what you said.  However, we have had some good, competitive seasons recently.  For example, Vettel may have won 2012, but it was one hell of fun season to watch.  7 different winners in the first 7 races, 8 different winners on the year. Only 3 points separated Vettel and Alonso in the end.  2010 was competitive, with only 4 points separating VET and ALO at the end of the season.  They each had 5 wins in the season.  Just a couple of minor moments of good luck for ALO and/or bad luck for VET, and Alonso would have 4 championships and Vettel only 2.  

'11 and '13 were simply dominated by RBR/Vettel, no question.  Though, such team/driver domination is not exactly a new phenomenon in F1

As far as KERS & DRS (and the goofy 2 compound tire rule), I agree that it is an artificial addition to the racing.  When they were first talking about it, I was rolling my eyes in disbelief.  I still think it's overly contrived, but I have to admit, it has seemed to increase the amount of passing and has had a great effect on the problem we used to see where a faster car would be stuck for an entire stint, if not the entire race, behind the car in front because of the loss of downforce when attempting to pass.

I'd like to see them simplify the cars and reduce the importance of aerodynamics.  Perhaps smaller, simpler rear wings and front spoilers.  Similarly, I think NASCAR would be better if they cut 4" off the front spoiler and run a 2" tall rear spoiler.  Raise the cars up off the track a couple inches, ditch the plates altogether and run wider, stickier tires.

I don't know if the points system has changed the results.  It would be interesting to go back and calculate the recent seasons using the old points system and see if there is a big change in the outcomes.

I hope that the effect of the new rules is a season more like '12.  In the end though, the best teams will still be the best teams and they will rise to the top.  If they play their cards right, Ferrari could move back to the top again.  They have 2 of the fastest drivers of this generation of F1.  If they can work together and help the team put together the car, and if Ferrari gives them a competitive ride, it could be a hell of a season for us Tifosi.

Sorry for the rambling.    I hate the off-season...

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the rambling.  I hate the off-season...
View Quote

I hear ya. If it wasn't for SHOT Show I'd go mad.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Lotus to skip first pre-season test.

I can't help but think this has something to do with their money issues.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thought Pastor was to fix all of that
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Money maybe didn't get there soon enough?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wish Renault would buy that team back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#10]
In  Hopefully we will get some passing for the lead on the track.  Go Kimi.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good for him.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Massa has a job
Good for him.    

yes very happy for him

glad to hear Schumi is doing better

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No Pastor will just throw them under the bus every time he fucks up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did forget that Lotus owes Kimi $15mil so that would eat into anything they get a hold of.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I watch this video a couple times a year.  Just awesome!

Skip to 5:30 if you don't want to watch the recap up to the last few laps.

eta:  Post some epic F1 videos!

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Driver Numbers have been set (most of them):

1 for 2014 and 5 for career Sebastian VETTEL (DEU)

3 Daniel Ricciardo

44 Lewis HAMILTON (GBR)

6 Nico ROSBERG (DEU)

14 Fernando ALONSO (ESP)

7 Kimi RAIKKONEN (FIN)

8 Romain GROSJEAN (FRA)

13 Pastor MALDONADO (VEN)

22 Jenson BUTTON (GBR)

20 Kevin MAGNUSSEN (DEN)

27 Nico HULKENBERG (DEU)

11 Sergio PEREZ MENDOZA (MEX)

99 Adrian SUTIL (DEU)

21 Esteban GUTIERREZ (MEX)

25 Jean-Eric VERGNE (FRA)

26 Daniil KVYAT (RUS)

19 Felipe MASSA (BRA)

77 Valtteri BOTTAS (FIN)

17 Jules BIANCHI (FRA)

TBA Max CHILTON (GBR)

TBA 1MALAYSIA RACING TEAM SDN BHD

TBA Caterham
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm... #87 is still available.

Arfcom needs an F1 team.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Ol' Pastor is 13 lol
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ol' Pastor is 13 lol
View Quote

They should have given him 11 or 88 so you can still read it when the car is upside down....
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Watch while it's still up.

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I did forget that Lotus owes Kimi $15mil so that would eat into anything they get a hold of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recall reading somewhere that Pastor's $$$ comes with the condition that it not be used to dispose of debt.  It can only be used to fund 2014 Season expenses.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Getting rid of the old numbering system is stupid.  Teammates ought to have consecutive numbers.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Getting rid of the old numbering system is stupid.  Teammates ought to have consecutive numbers.
View Quote

Like in every other major form of racing, oh wait...
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Max Chilton is back at Marussia.
Hell if I know why.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/ntK_vTSdjCY
View Quote
Thank you for that!  Hadn't been able to find it.

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I watch this video a couple times a year.  Just awesome!

Skip to 5:30 if you don't want to watch the recap up to the last few laps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSnzNXR03zY

eta:  Post some epic F1 videos!

View Quote

in todays racing there is about 3 drive throughs, a pit lane start or next race, and 10sec add on penalty.

but then again in todays racing you just need to wait for the next DRS zone and you can pass while the other driver can not defend.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hell if I know why.
View Quote

Because he's the only rookie to ever finish every race. That kind of consistency is rewarded.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Because he's the only rookie to ever finish every race. That kind of consistency is rewarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell if I know why.

Yep, finished every race, and helping them cement 10th in constructors counts for a lot.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yep, finished every race, and helping them cement 10th in constructors counts for a lot.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell if I know why.

I was thinking he was the last finishing driver in just about every race, but he did beat van der Garde quite a few times.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone else think the new formula sucks?
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

just watched the whole doc.

thanks for that
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone else think the new formula sucks?
View Quote

I'd prefer to....you know.....watch some racing before I comment.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#32]
id like to see less aero, less kers, no drs and let drivers drive the car. no goofy points systems and less of the nascar/wwf type stunts to spice up viewership etc.

keep it pure, fast and safe.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

thanks for that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for that

I finally got to watching the full thing. Well done, but bounces around quite a bit. Worth watching if you have the time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Damn hate to hear that, he was a fixture at the races, and I kinda got used to seeing him in the Mclaren garage
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Damn hate to hear that, he was a fixture at the races, and I kinda got used to seeing him in the Mclaren garage
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Aww shit! I always liked hearing him speak after races, seemed like he would be a good dude to get drunk with.  

RIP Mr. Button.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:28:13 AM EDT
[#37]
More Schumi news....

Not good.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
More Schumi news....

Not good.
View Quote

Reminds me EXACTLY of the situation involving Vladmir Konstantinov (the former Red Wing).

Konstantinov was probably the best Defenseman in Hockey when he had that car crash (better than even Nick Lidstom IMO).  In a coma for weeks with a bunch of indeterminate reports.  Still in a wheelchair, as far as I know.  

Sad story in both cases.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
More Schumi news....

Not good.
View Quote

That close to the edge for so many years of his life--all to be taken away skiiing. A damned shame.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#40]
In other news:

Ron Dennis back at McLaren.  

The future of McLaren’s team principal Martin Whitmarsh is in question tonight after former team boss Ron Dennis retook control of the company as CEO, promising changes to make the team win again.  In a statement issued by the team this evening Dennis said that he would conduct a thorough review of track activity, after McLaren last year registered its worst performance since 1980 with not a single podium finish.

At the end of last year Dennis and Whitmarsh were engaged in a struggle for power, but a shift in shareholder sentiment seems to have swung things back Dennis’ way...  The news makes it unlikely that there will be a place for Fernando Alonso at the team, as had been mooted last year. He and Dennis fell out spectacularly in 2007.
View Quote

Lotus nearly $200 million in debt.  

Amid increasing rumours about the financial viability of the Lotus F1 team, the team’s owner (via his Genii Capital concern), Gerard Lopez, has confirmed the team’s significant debt and spelled out that the investment discussions with the mysterious Quantum Motorsport group are dead. He added that Kimi Raikkonen, who walked out on the team two races from the end of the season, had “got part of his salary, and he will get the rest.”

Asked about a “brain drain” of engineers away from Lotus over the winter, Lopez said that the team had gone down by 80 people but has managed to recruit new engineers from many of his rival teams, “Last year, we worked on three projects simultaneously. Overall, we had 580 people. Now we concentrate on the 2014 car and therefore the workforce came down to around 500. We have lost some engineers to the competition. But we got about five new engineers from them; from Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes.  

Asked why the Renault engine deal had not yet been announced, Lopez said that the team has been working on collaborations on hybrid solutions taking it beyond a simple customer engine supply deal and this had complicated and delayed the agreement and negotiations between them. He did not offer any time frame for this to be resolved.
View Quote

Why would they decide to redesign their ERS if they're suffering from a lack of tech resources?  That smells like bullshit...
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

More Schumi news....

Not good.
View Quote
Damn it...  I was so glad he made it through his career unscathed.   I went through the deaths of 2 of my favorite racers, Earnhardt & Senna and several others who I really admired.  Davey Allison, Neil Bonnett, Alan Kulwicki, Adam Petty, Dan Wheldon, etc...

I'm hoping for a miracle.  I thought he might end up being a team owner or principal eventually.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

In other news:

Why would they decide to redesign their ERS if they're suffering from a lack of tech resources?  That smells like bullshit...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In other news:

The future of McLaren’s team principal Martin Whitmarsh is in question tonight after former team boss Ron Dennis retook control of the company as CEO, promising changes to make the team win again.  In a statement issued by the team this evening Dennis said that he would conduct a thorough review of track activity, after McLaren last year registered its worst performance since 1980 with not a single podium finish.

At the end of last year Dennis and Whitmarsh were engaged in a struggle for power, but a shift in shareholder sentiment seems to have swung things back Dennis’ way...  The news makes it unlikely that there will be a place for Fernando Alonso at the team, as had been mooted last year. He and Dennis fell out spectacularly in 2007.

Amid increasing rumours about the financial viability of the Lotus F1 team, the team’s owner (via his Genii Capital concern), Gerard Lopez, has confirmed the team’s significant debt and spelled out that the investment discussions with the mysterious Quantum Motorsport group are dead. He added that Kimi Raikkonen, who walked out on the team two races from the end of the season, had "got part of his salary, and he will get the rest.”

Asked about a "brain drain” of engineers away from Lotus over the winter, Lopez said that the team had gone down by 80 people but has managed to recruit new engineers from many of his rival teams, "Last year, we worked on three projects simultaneously. Overall, we had 580 people. Now we concentrate on the 2014 car and therefore the workforce came down to around 500. We have lost some engineers to the competition. But we got about five new engineers from them; from Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes.  

Asked why the Renault engine deal had not yet been announced, Lopez said that the team has been working on collaborations on hybrid solutions taking it beyond a simple customer engine supply deal and this had complicated and delayed the agreement and negotiations between them. He did not offer any time frame for this to be resolved.

That's a shame.  They definitely bring something to the sport and had a realistic chance at being competitive.  I hope they can get their shit together.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Damn it...  I was so glad he made it through his career unscathed.   I went through the deaths of 2 of my favorite racers, Earnhardt & Senna and several others who I really admired.  Davey Allison, Neil Bonnett, Alan Kulwicki, Adam Petty, Dan Wheldon, etc...  

I'm hoping for a miracle.  I thought he might end up being a team owner or principal eventually.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More Schumi news....

Not good.

And let Us never forget Greg Moore...  

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Used to follow F1 religiously...was a big Kimi fan when he was in the McLaren and fighting Alonso in the Renault.  Started watching a little again last season, and will definitely follow this season now that these two are in the same car.  Would love to see Kimi take another title in the Ferrari, but as long as he regularly beats Alonso I'll be happy
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#45]
McLaren fails FIA tests and may miss Jerez which prompted Dennis coup d’etat

http://grandprix247.com/2014/01/17/mclaren-fails-fia-tests-and-may-miss-jerez-prompting-reshuffle/

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:19:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://grandprix247.com/2014/01/17/mclaren-fails-fia-tests-and-may-miss-jerez-prompting-reshuffle/

View Quote

Bring on Ross Brawn! I'd love to see he and Button five it another go.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/24/article-1222753-06E68EF3000005DC-324_468x327.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/24/article-1222753-06E68EF3000005DC-324_468x327.jpg

Ross Brawn probably wouldn't work well with Ron Dennis.  Too corporate.

Ron-Speak Alert!

In a statement, Dennis said the company's shareholders had "mandated me to write an exciting new chapter in the story of McLaren, beginning by improving our on-track and off-track performance".

He added: "Over the coming weeks, I intend to undertake a thorough and objective review of each of our businesses with the intention of optimising every aspect of our existing operations, while identifying new areas of growth that capitalise on our technologies, and where appropriate further investing in them.

"During February, I will articulate a new Group strategy and implement the organisational structure best suited to achieving it."

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Pic will not be with Caterham in 2014.

Rumor has it he'll be replaced by Kobayashi?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Pic will not be with Caterham in 2014.

Rumor has it he'll be replaced by Kobayashi?
View Quote

The Kobayashi rumor popped up on Twitter a month ago.Kind of makes you wonder what actually goes on behind closed doors.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#50]
In case anyone was wondering.

Page / 100
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top