BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 2:01:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Once you understand the link between minimum wage and unions you'll realize that will never happen.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-BGi4NIFww

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just make it $50 an hour and get it over with. Enough with the incrementalism.

Once you understand the link between minimum wage and unions you'll realize that will never happen.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-BGi4NIFww

Right now,Estonia has the lowest debt:GDP ratio in the EU. The Prime Minister during the era of most growth was only 32 when he got the job and attributes only having read a single book on economics for that,Friedman's Free to Choose.

Might wanna consider mailing some copies to Congress

Of course,they'd have to read it to find out what's in it
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 2:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I guess Seatac and Seattle want to be the next Detroit, they might even beat NYC at this rate.
View Quote

NYC's new mayor will one up them. 18 per hour.  Expect it in about 30 days.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 3:13:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Too bad no one gets pissed at the real reasons.

Thanks to the fed and their "keeping prices stable" all these fucking years.The loss of purchasing power of the dollar hasn't been so good,and you can bet the farm it wont be getting better.

"The U.S. Congress established three key objectives for monetary policy in the Federal Reserve Act: Maximum employment, stable prices, and moderate long-term interest rates."

The whole system is so distorted there is no fixing it.We are screwed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am really excited for this. Not because it is a good law, but I am so curious at how it will play out. I would love to see these hotels raise their prices, fast food raise their prices, and when people completely stop doing any sort of business around seatac in a 5 mile radius. I've never been so excited to watch the world burn as I am at this $15/hr flipping burger economy. It will implode and I will laugh. Good thing they can't force the airport to increase wages. That would fuck us pretty hard.
View Quote

It looks like Sea-Tac and maybe even San Francisco will be a microcosm of unintended consequences. It will also be interesting to see what laws and regulations they come up with to prevent things like layoffs and a mass exodus to make this minimum wage work.  May they live in interesting times, as the old saying goes.  I'm betting it will be a how-to Gide for what not to do, but the the ones that make the rules won't see it that way.  Ever.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Il laugh if all these places 1099 everyone and pay flat rates for production.  8 cents per burger fliped.  three dollars per hotel room cleaned.  

Im kinda surprised more jobs dont work on production based pay anyways.  
View Quote

Because the IRS would prohibit that. They would reclassify them as employees and the business would have to pay penalties on "under reported" payroll taxes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Twenty years on the job, countless Certifications, endless classes and training, hundreds of hours of hazmat, terrorism response, aircraft response, Emergency Medical, constant PT to maintain the necessary fitness level, Hours crawling around in 500 degree burn buildings in zero vis to keep my skills up,

and I'm worth $5 bucks an hour more than the pimply faced highschool kid down the street down the street making my egg McMuffin?

Nothing against him, but damn......
View Quote

Lots of idiots at my former LE dept that thought they would get a proportional raise when the minimum wage increased.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#8]
You want to know when your country is fucked?

There's a ton of people out there who believe that health care should be "free". This, of course would mean that our highly skilled people in the medical professions like doctors, nurses, and all the supporting lab staff, etc. would be paid nothing. If it's "free" then how does one stand to get compensated. The $ has to come from somewhere. These same people, who think that people in the medical professions should work for scraps are the same people who believe that the guy who watches for the green light on the fryer, or one who assembles the sandwich by looking up at a chart to see where to squirt the mustard with the pneumatic, pre-measured mustard gun is worth 30k a year.

We are fucked.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#9]
The area will become a wasteland full of drug dealers and prostitutes in a matter of months.  There will be no retail, no restaurants, no gas stations, nothing.  I know of only a handful of small businesses that could survive in such a business climate and they would have the better sense than to locate in such a diverse and interesting urban setting.

Whoops.  This small area will see a loss of jobs and then the $15 wage will just cause increased costs for consumers.  It will then be applied to a real honest to goodness city and the results will be as I originally posted.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The fallout will be hilarious.
View Quote

I'm happy this is being implemented on a local scale. That way maybe, just maybe, the softheads will see what a retarded idea it is on a national scale.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Interesting:

There are a couple reasons why it makes sense to target a jurisdiction with an airport as its dominant employer. First of all, it's difficult for the businesses that make the planes run on time to leave, or lay off workers. Airlines already winnowed their staffs down to the bone anyway during the recession, and can't cut further without serious consequences. That's why the ballot measure's proponents don't worry about a higher wage having an adverse effect on employment over the long term, like it might if imposed on a wider scale: Higher wages have been linked to lower turnover rates, which lessens the cost of training new workers, and establishing a higher floor for everyone would mean contractors wouldn't need to compete by paying their workers next to nothing.

And second, most of the costs can be passed on to travelers, making the wage hike essentially a cash transfer to the SeaTac area from the rest of the world. According to an analysis by the community group Puget Sound Sage, visitors account for 68 percent of the revenues of companies subject to the ballot measure, which could cover the $40 million extra in wages by increasing fees by between 0.5 percent and 1.5 percent.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When they go up to $15 an hour and gov't welfare monies dry up because they are making too much a bunch will quit anyways.  They don't want to make over a certain amount.
View Quote

And then a bunch more will quit because they'll be working like slaves.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think he was being funny. My dad "taught" me to drive when I was 8. This device turns the wheel, this one makes it move, this one makes it stop. Don't hit anything. Pretty simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Twenty years on the job, countless Certifications, endless classes and training, hundreds of hours of hazmat, terrorism response, aircraft response, Emergency Medical, constant PT to maintain the necessary fitness level, Hours crawling around in 500 degree burn buildings in zero vis to keep my skills up,

and I'm worth $5 bucks an hour more than the pimply faced highschool kid down the street down the street making my egg McMuffin?

I had to take four college courses, graduate with a Bachelor's degree and teach full time to be qualified to teach Driver's Education in Texas.  About 15 years ago, the State decided ''if you are a parent, then you can teach your own kid to drive...'

WTF?

How in the hell did knocking a girl up equate to the skills needed to teach a Driver's Education course of 40 hours classroom/lecture/rules and 30 hours in-car/behind-the-wheel?

So, yeah, I feel ya here.

TRG

Drivers ed is a huge waste. Parents should be doing it anyway. I never took it. Didn't need to. I drive fine. I fly jets too. Yup, initially my dad taught me that too.

I think he was being funny. My dad "taught" me to drive when I was 8. This device turns the wheel, this one makes it move, this one makes it stop. Don't hit anything. Pretty simple.

My father also taught me to drive. I grew up in the countryside and driving was a necessary skill to haul wood, feed for animals, haul hay.

As a Driver's Ed teacher I met hundreds of kids who had never been behind the wheel, had no idea how to calculate a correct following distance, identify blind spots and use turn signals at the correct distance.

FWIW,  we are spending 12 years teaching kids how to diagram a sentence and solve for "x" in an equation, but the number one skill needed (safe transportation of your ass) to hold a job is assumed to be innate.  

About 10% of the kids in my class did not need to be there.  The other 90%, while they believed they could drive, had very serious gaps in their skillset behind the wheel, much less their legal knowledge of traffic laws and liability issues.

They've now done the same thing with computer skills in Texas.  No longer are students required to take any technology courses to graduate.  It is just assumed that everyone knows how to use a computer to the skill level needed to get a job.

I have Freshmen students asking me what is a USB card and how do they save their document to it...

TRG
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
maybe not but you sure as hell could pay them based on production even without 1099 contract scenario.  
---------------------------------------------------

Yes, as long as that production based pay met the hourly minimum wage requirements.  

(BTW, I'm not arguing in favor of ridiculous minimum wage rates, or even minimum wage itself.  I'm just talking about what would get you in a sling over it when the DOL gooberment thugs whip out the FLSA, or whatever the local equivalent is.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no way you could treat a burger flipper as independent contractor except for a food truck guy, maybe.  Hotel employee? Maybe you could fire all of the cleaning staff, and hire a maid service.
maybe not but you sure as hell could pay them based on production even without 1099 contract scenario.  
---------------------------------------------------

Yes, as long as that production based pay met the hourly minimum wage requirements.  

(BTW, I'm not arguing in favor of ridiculous minimum wage rates, or even minimum wage itself.  I'm just talking about what would get you in a sling over it when the DOL gooberment thugs whip out the FLSA, or whatever the local equivalent is.)

Someone gets it. There is no free market anymore.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well.....I THOUGHT Washington would be a nice place to move out to and live.

I thought wrong. The liberal leeches are already entrenched.
View Quote

This is a fucking airport. . . it affects like the 2,000 people who were not already making that.

We prefer our residents have a basic level of reading comprehension before you move out this way.

I'm with you guys in the sense it's retarded to pay burger flippers 15 bucks an hour, but this is an airport it's not some extreme social experiment on a major metropolis. Twisting this situation around (most of you based on the thread title) is just as fucking stupid and as sleezy as what the moonbats do. I can promise you life as usual will go on in Seatac and those 1500 people this affects will get a couple bucks extra an hour. This is hardly news.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know it's not realistic and self-punishing, but it would be so awesome in my fantasy world if the businesses impacted by this turned their businesses into blighted properties, cash into gold shops or used furniture stores.

More seriously, I did not realize that municipalities had the power to regulate minimum wage.  I've always assumed that was only within the purview of the state or federal gov't.

In any case, I predict a fast food commodity-retail/service desert in Seatac.

View Quote

You didn't realize that minimum wage varies by state?
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Because the IRS would prohibit that. They would reclassify them as employees and the business would have to pay penalties on "under reported" payroll taxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Il laugh if all these places 1099 everyone and pay flat rates for production. 8 cents per burger fliped. three dollars per hotel room cleaned.

W2 status should be abolished. Employees should be responsible for 100% of their payroll taxes, not the employer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is a fucking airport. . . it affects like the 2,000 people who were not already making that.

We prefer our residents have a basic level of reading comprehension before you move out this way.

I'm with you guys in the sense it's retarded to pay burger flippers 15 bucks an hour, but this is an airport it's not some extreme social experiment on a major metropolis. Twisting this situation around (most of you based on the thread title) is just as fucking stupid and as sleezy as what the moonbats do. I can promise you life as usual will go on in Seatac and those 1500 people this affects will get a couple bucks extra an hour. This is hardly news.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know, don't you, that Seatac is a city? That this law is the City of Seatac, and does NOT actually effect the airport, which is also called Seatac?
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

From each according to their ability, to each according to their need.  It's more fair and progressive that way, you see now don't you comrade PR361?  Or do you and your family need more visits from the Internal Revenue Service?
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd love to be there in about 16 months when tax returns are due and they realize they aren't getting near as much back. Or they don't qualify for half the grants for school any more. Or the kids don't get free lunch anymore. Or their Obamacare subsidy is less.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well that's one way to get a Starbuck's employee with a Master's in 13th Century Basket Weaving over the $12/hour hump.
View Quote

. . . . " and  out  the  door " .
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You do know, don't you, that Seatac is a city? That this law is the City of Seatac, and does NOT actually effect the airport, which is also called Seatac?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fucking 13'er. . . I do know, and posted an article on page 2 stating as such. You should read what the legislation entails because this DOES effect the airport, and pretty much ONLY the airport workers . . . This is the shit I'm talking about.   Again I know reading is difficult these days but I suggest you read what was posted on page 2.

Here's a snippet from CNN;

"The SeaTac initiative will raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour for hospitality and transportation workers in and near Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. The current minimum wage in Washington State is $9.19."

Seatac population is roughly 27,000. . . . those affected by this legislation number roughly 1,500.

This is not a monumental event, it's a piece of legislation for an extremely small city targeting roughly 20% of said small city population.

Those extrapolating this to match their own political agenda are grasping at straws. This is non-news made into news by both sides of the political spectrum. Liberals will decry this a huge success and the ARF GD will predict doom of apocalyptic levels. . . . neither will happen because 1500 people working in an airport getting 15$ an hour won't have an effect on the local economy in any profound way on any quantifiable level. Especially considering those footing the bill will, for the most part, be people who are from out of town.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

fucking 13'er. . . I do know, and posted an article on page 2 stating as such. You should read what the legislation entails because this DOES effect the airport, and pretty much ONLY the airport workers . . . This is the shit I'm talking about.   Again I know reading is difficult these days but I suggest you read what was posted on page 2.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't think you are understanding or fully reading your own link correctly.  The court just decided the SeaTac city ordinance to raise minimum wage does NOT apply to the airport property, as it is a different government entity run by the Port of Seattle.  So while the initiative was intended to cover workers at the Airport, it does NOT.  

Quoted:

"The SeaTac initiative will raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour for hospitality and transportation workers in and near Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. The current minimum wage in Washington State is $9.19."

Seatac population is roughly 27,000. . . . those affected by this legislation number roughly 1,500.

This is not a monumental event, it's a piece of legislation for an extremely small city targeting roughly 20% of said small city population.

That is how the initiative was written, but the court just said it didn't apply to the Airport or workers AT the airport.
Another snippet from your article.  

On Friday, in response to a lawsuit backed by the airlines and the restaurant industry, the King County Superior Court ruled that the measure could only apply to the 1,600 people who work at hotels and car services outside the airport. That cuts out 4,700 people who work within the airport itself, which is technically a separate jurisdiction belonging to the Port of Seattle -- not subject to the voters' desires.

Oh, and your math skills suck.  1,500 out of 27,000 is not 20%, it is less than 6%.....
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't think you are understanding or fully reading your own link correctly.  The court just decided the SeaTac city ordinance to raise minimum wage does NOT apply to the airport property, as it is a different government entity run by the Port of Seattle.  So while the initiative was intended to cover workers at the Airport, it does NOT.  

That is how the initiative was written, but the court just said it didn't apply to the Airport or workers AT the airport.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

On Friday, in response to a lawsuit backed by the airlines and the restaurant industry, the King County Superior Court ruled that the measure could only apply to the 1,600 people who work at hotels and car services outside the airport. That cuts out 4,700 people who work within the airport itself, which is technically a separate jurisdiction belonging to the Port of Seattle -- not subject to the voters' desires.

This.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The area will become a wasteland full of drug dealers and prostitutes in a matter of months.  
View Quote

It already is, it was like that years before it became a city and it will be like that for years to come.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Good.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

W2 status should be abolished. Employees should be responsible for 100% of their payroll taxes, not the employer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Il laugh if all these places 1099 everyone and pay flat rates for production. 8 cents per burger fliped. three dollars per hotel room cleaned.

Not unless they're free to set their hours and how they preform their tasks........ When I was a independent trucker, the Company I sub-hauled for couldn't tell me how to do my job....

If they could, then I was an Employee, not a Independent Contractor.... Companies that use a lot of Independent Contractors are very careful to not cross that line......

Because if they do the Feds & State will come after them for unpaid payroll taxes...........
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

1600 employees is an understatement.  It doesn't include all of the other people that will need a raise at higher level positions.
View Quote
That's a big assumption.

Very few people have contracts that are based on minimum wage + $X.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, because Madison is the best way to judge the entire state of Wisconsin.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Good, I hope they enjoy $0/hr.
View Quote

And all the free shit we will have to pay for, not to mention unemployment benefits, less stress, etc., etc.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top