Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/22/2013 4:43:37 PM EDT
So I go out to do some shopping and I swing by the ATM. Suddenly I discover that I can 't take out more than $240 bucks. So I call Chase to find out what the fuck their fucking problem is. Apparently, I was fucking identified as an At Risk Customer because I bought shit from fucking Target with my goddamn debit card. So Chase fucking lowered my goddamn ATM limit to $250.

I don't know whether I am pissed at Chase, Target, the fucking piece of shit hackers trying to steal my goddamn money or all three! Alls I know is that I can 't have my fucking money now because some jerkoff with a computer thought he was going to fucking score.

I knew these goddamn debit cards were bad fucking news! I refuse to get one until they flat eliminated the ATM card and forced their bullshit on everyone. Fucking bankers!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
It's for the common good
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You are lucky Chase just didn't cancel your card and make you wait for a new one.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Would you rather bitch about loosing all your money?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
should've read your email

$100 cash withdraws and $300 on purchases, they're sending everyone new cards
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]
OP: why don't you have a Chase credit card?

Their rewards are awesome

Speed
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Who shops at Target?

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea, loosing it all is the worst.

Keep it tight op.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Chase banks around me will print a new debit card on the spot...  

TX doesn't have card printers?

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Speed
View Quote

This. The wife and I both have Chase Credit Cards that get paid off at the end of the month. Great for points and we don't have to worry about the debit card restrictions.

Why do you feel Chase screwed you over, it was target and the criminals that caused this. Chase is just trying to mitigate damage to their customers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Why no credit card?

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Who shops at Target?

View Quote

40 million people in 2 weeks , apparently...
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Who shops at Target?

View Quote

MILF's

OP is a MILF

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
4/10- Not enough expletives, and rant was initiated by shopping at target
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
First world problems
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

you can get a new card printed on Sunday?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Keep it tight op.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep it tight op.

I see what you did there.

Yank a knot in it OP.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]
chase put out a notice on limits a couple days ago.......
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Of all the people you could be pissed at, I'd be pissed at the hackers but that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Debit cards dont suck.  Big banks suck.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Why do you deal with the DEVIL?

FC
AND
FBHO

LIVE IT
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
should've read your email

$100 cash withdraws and $300 on purchases, they're sending everyone new cards
View Quote

My e-mail is nothing but spam about male enhancement and online prescription drugs.

They didn't fuck me THAT hard. They cut me back to $250/$1000

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This. The wife and I both have Chase Credit Cards that get paid off at the end of the month. Great for points and we don't have to worry about the debit card restrictions.

Why do you feel Chase screwed you over, it was target and the criminals that caused this. Chase is just trying to mitigate damage to their customers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

Exactly.  I have Chase, and I appreciate the fact that they took steps to protect me and my money.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Thats what you get for using a debit card. Why would you put your money at risk when you can put the bank's money at risk?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#24]
It sucks but make it a learning experience. That's why I withdraw my cash before the holidays and put it in the safe. A hacked card, bank breach or power outage is very likely from Dec- Feb. Keep cash on hand. The 1/2% it gets in your savings account doesn't do shit for you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thats what you get for using a debit card. Why would you put your money at risk when you can put the bank's money at risk?
View Quote

But, but, Dave Ramsey said credit cards are the debbil!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#26]
They're trying to make an attempt to protect your ass...

...be thankful...
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

His money was never at risk. Fraud is covered the same as a credit card. He can walk into any chase branch during regular business hours and withdraw all the money he has.
His mistake is relying on any card, and not having cash on hand.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Isn't this the second time this has happened with Target? Fuck them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

A few years back they just activated a temp card with no name for me on the spot and mailed me a new one.

And yea, I found the old one before the new one even showed up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Was going through the checkout at Costco yesterday.  Our total was $299.99, this was after we bought some stuff earlier.  You guessed it, transaction came up denied.  I spent 45 minutes on the phone with the fine folks at Chase.  Their fraud protection dept. eventually raised my daily limit to $1000 so we could finish our shopping, which expired last night at midnight.

The thing that rally pissed me off was, she said I was notified of this fiasco.  I politely disagreed with her, and she said, "that's fine".  WTF?  I didn't receive any notification email 'til 4:52pm yesterday afternoon.

I guess "in the coming weeks" we'll get our new cards.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#31]
The hackers caused this - and Target could have protected their systems better.  

When you know you shopped at Target during the stated risk dates - did you call your bank?

I don't see Chase as doing anything wrong.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I use cash. Hasn`t let me down yet in local stores.
Plastic.... don`t use it much unless I am buying from a website or am forced to use it because the place I am purchasing from, won`t take anything else. When I do, it is a credit card and paid off by the end of the month.

I feel for you OP. Seems like more and more events are leading to our loss of freedom.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

His money was never at risk. Fraud is covered the same as a credit card. He can walk into any chase branch during regular business hours and withdraw all the money he has.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His point was banks have 10 business days to return the funds used for fraud. So say your bank account was emptied because you used a debit card for purchases rather than a credit card you could in theory wait 10 business days before your money is returned.

With credit cards they give a provisional credit until they confirm fraud and apply the creditor reverse the provisional credit depending on whether or not it was fraud.

<Used for work in debit/credit card fraud for a top 5 bank.

ETA: Chase is covering their ass considering their exposure I would say they had tens of thousands of cards exploited.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Was going through the checkout at Costco yesterday.  Our total was $299.99, this was after we bought some stuff earlier.  You guessed it, transaction came up denied.  I spent 45 minutes on the phone with the fine folks at Chase.  Their fraud protection dept. eventually raised my daily limit to $1000 so we could finish our shopping, which expired last night at midnight.

The thing that rally pissed me off was, she said I was notified of this fiasco.  I politely disagreed with her, and she said, "that's fine".  WTF?  I didn't receive any notification email 'til 4:52pm yesterday afternoon.

I guess "in the coming weeks" we'll get our new cards.  
View Quote

The stripped down timeline is this:

Target finds exploit
Narrows the date down and reports the cards to their merchant processor/Credit Card Processor
Credit Card Processor gives the banks a list of their effected card numbers
Banks manually look at each card and/or depending on size setup a monitoring strategy by throwing on strict purchase limits until they can vet, close, and reissue new cards

Don't blame the bank blame the bad guys.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Why no credit card?

View Quote

Arfcom hates credit cards...

you must be new here

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I did shop and Target during those dates, but with my Target store credit card.  I've been checking that account periodically and so far nothing has shown up on it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#37]
the fucking piece of shit hackers
View Quote

Yes.

Target and Chase were trying to help you and cover their arses.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
First world problems
View Quote

I'd be pissed too if my card was compromised. My brother's was.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]
This is why all my money is invested in bitcoins.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Did you not get the email from Chase regarding this?

I did, yesterday.

And I am quite pleased.  

I had no idea, they did, and they let me know.

I have cash in reserve, so I am not worried about it.

You shouldn't depend solely on your debit card to buy stuff.  

I've been meaning to get a new card, so this works out perfect for me.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#41]
This is also one of the reasons it's a good idea to keep a fund of emergency cash at home, just in case you can't access your accounts for a while.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The stripped down timeline is this:

Target finds exploit
Narrows the date down and reports the cards to their merchant processor/Credit Card Processor
Credit Card Processor gives the banks a list of their effected card numbers
Banks manually look at each card and/or depending on size setup a monitoring strategy by throwing on strict purchase limits until they can vet, close, and reissue new cards

Don't blame the bank blame the bad guys.
View Quote

Understood, but I would've liked to have been notified of this BEFORE they reduced my limit and left me standing at the register with no way to pay for my stuff.  I do appreciate them taking proactive measures to try to reduce fraudulent activity, however.

It was just frustrating since I was unable to get cash from the ATM, and I didn't have my checkbook with me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Exactly.  I have Chase, and I appreciate the fact that they took steps to protect me and my money.  
View Quote

Perhaps they are limiting THEIR possible losses.

Check with Chase to see if you are protected against fraudulent ATM withdrawals.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Debit card....  
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So I go out to do some shopping and I swing by the ATM. Suddenly I discover that I can 't take out more than $240 bucks. So I call Chase to find out what the fuck their fucking problem is. Apparently, I was fucking identified as an At Risk Customer because I bought shit from fucking Target with my goddamn debit card. So Chase fucking lowered my goddamn ATM limit to $250.

I don't know whether I am pissed at Chase, Target, the fucking piece of shit hackers trying to steal my goddamn money or all three! Alls I know is that I can 't have my fucking money now because some jerkoff with a computer thought he was going to fucking score.

I knew these goddamn debit cards were bad fucking news! I refuse to get one until they flat eliminated the ATM card and forced their bullshit on everyone.So i decided to use it at a store so i could get my info hacked and blame everyone else but me instead of using it to pull out cash like I had been doing my whole life Fucking bankers!

View Quote

self inflicted wound
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#46]
May be a State by State deal but the wife and I have  ATM only cards at Chase in NV.
The day they change it is the day I get a different bank.
I have heard too many horror stories with debit cards. At a minimum you are having to wait to have your money returned into your account in the Target type scenario. With a CC they have to try to collect it first.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I was at costco getting a screaming deal on a laptop - last one at the price - get to the register, chase wont transact it... fuck

luckily the wife unit had her debit card also and she hadnt done business with target in the affected date range..

wish Chase had notified me instead of just jacking my card.  I spent about an hour on the phone waiting to get a person who could help me to send a new card.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Who shops at Target?

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I just got my new one from Chase. $500 ATM limit, $3,000 daily purchase limit.

A few years ago, I was at a gun show and needed $1,000 cash (wasn't planning on buying anything originally, but couldn't pass this up). Knowing that I wouldn't be able to pull that much cash out of the ATM on-site, I called the Chase number on the back of my card.

"Hey, I need to pull $1,000 out. Can you authorize that one time?"

"Let me check over your account history...Okay, sure. Are you standing at the ATM now?"

"Sure am".

"Okay, you're authorized for a one-time ATM withdrawal of $1,000. You're still subject to the machine's max per transaction (and their fees), but you'll be able to do it."

"Thanks!"

"Anything else we can help you with?"

"Nope!"

Chase rocks, as far as I'm concerned.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top