Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 2:19:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You put a manual valve in the fuel line and open it just enough to deliver enough fuel to the carb that it doesn't starve or flood then you limp it home. It will run like crap but it will get you home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your nostalgia for carburetors is unfortunate, fuel injection is highly superior. Although I do wish the high beam control was still a foot switch.

How high do you rig a Jerry can for proper fuel psi when the fuel pump pukes out on an EFI vehicle?

How do you rig a replacement float for proper fuel delivery when the needle valve/float craps out on a carbureted vehicle?

You put a manual valve in the fuel line and open it just enough to deliver enough fuel to the carb that it doesn't starve or flood then you limp it home. It will run like crap but it will get you home.

Or...

Route the fuel line to the windshield washer pump, then to the carb. It's a PITA to hit the washer button every Min or so, but it's better than hoofing it.

Link Posted: 12/21/2013 2:35:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I am only 36 but I remember it well.

Dad drove a 50's chevy pickup when I was a kid.

Old Blue we called her.

For nostalgia

Link Posted: 12/21/2013 3:08:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
sadly i still do this out of habit knowing full well the computer controls all that shit now.
View Quote

Me too (sometimes).  Learned to drive in the 80's in cars that were mainly 70's vintage.

Took my driver's test in one of these in 1986

1972 Plymouth Fury II (the only way it would have handled more like a river boat is if it had a paddle wheel).

Link Posted: 12/21/2013 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wide block 318? I had a 1957 Plymouth with a 301 that looked just like that.

I forgot they called it the "Poly" That is cool as hell. Let see some pics of the car

Here's my 57
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3017/3079411292_091db38454_o.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3098/3084869449_7a24becb0f_o.jpg
View Quote

That's a beauty!  I have a friend that tried to corner the market on 57 and 58 Plymouths, he had one red 58 driver and at least four complete parts cars.

Here are a few shots of mine...carpet was being replaced is the reason for the mess

Link Posted: 12/21/2013 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

while I agree with you on the scan tool part, all the things your complaining about are late 70's and early 80's aberrations  with the exception of points and vacuum advance, go back to late 60's and you have what 3 vacuum lines? brake booster, dist, and trans for a auto....

speed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cars were easier to work on and had more "personality" back then.

Not as reliable as now.

No more putting a screwdriver in the carburetor to open the choke, or popping off the distributor cap to wipe the moisture out of it so it would run.

No hell they weren't. Miles of vacuum hoses and rubber fuel lines to break down and deteriorate, distributors and point ignitions, plug wires to break down and leak, vacuum timing advance, variable Venturi carbs, electronically controlled carbs, all junk.

Today, ten or fifteen minutes watching the data stream on a scan tool will tell me more than a timing light and a dwell meter ever will.

while I agree with you on the scan tool part, all the things your complaining about are late 70's and early 80's aberrations  with the exception of points and vacuum advance, go back to late 60's and you have what 3 vacuum lines? brake booster, dist, and trans for a auto....

speed

One vacuum line to the brake booster.    Ooops.. ETA: I guess two, I have a short one for reference to the pressure regulator.

Link Posted: 12/21/2013 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
wait for glow plug light to go off- hit starter.

On my GM diesel, you are supposed to "set the fast idle" when starting cold.  Key on - push pedal down once- hit starter.

The things you learn when you read the manual.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sadly i still do this out of habit knowing full well the computer controls all that shit now.
wait for glow plug light to go off- hit starter.

On my GM diesel, you are supposed to "set the fast idle" when starting cold.  Key on - push pedal down once- hit starter.

The things you learn when you read the manual.  

Changed the timing belt on my Jetta, yesterday.  Pulled out the manual, to refresh my memory on adjusting the injection pump timing after replacing the belt, and one of the first steps was to make sure that the cold start control was fully off.

Cold start...

Cold start...

No wonder the dang thing has been harder to start since the weather turned cold.  

On the 1982 Rabbit, the cold start control was blatantly obvious on the dash.  On the 1985 Jetta, they tried to hide it, and I completely forgot about the dang thing after not needing it over the summer.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've used a pump like for the tractors.  They're a damn good idea.

I want a cherry '69 Camaro with modern fuel injection and ignition.

What I don't want is to fly another flipping airplane with a pressure carb and manual boost pump.  Three hands are required, four wouldn't be too many.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell, I remember when you had to pump the handle on the gas pump.

http://0.tqn.com/d/landscaping/1/0/Q/V/OK_gas_pump.jpg

I've used a pump like for the tractors.  They're a damn good idea.

I want a cherry '69 Camaro with modern fuel injection and ignition.

What I don't want is to fly another flipping airplane with a pressure carb and manual boost pump.  Three hands are required, four wouldn't be too many.

Been a couple decades since I started one, but if my memory isn't off...

Mags off.  Throttle off.  Mixture off.  

Pull the prop through two complete rotations, to make certain a lower cylinder doesn't have a hydraulic lock.

Pump the wobble pump until you have 5 psi of fuel pressure.

Four shots of prime (two if the engine is warm).

Mixture full rich.  Prop full coarse.  Throttle cracked.

Doublecheck the fuel pressure and hit the wobble pump if needed (as I recall, the primer would bleed off some of the pressure).

Hit the starter (kinda wish I had the pleasure of dealing with an inertial starter, but the plane had been upgraded) and count the blades, then turn the mags on (after the fourth blade went by, as I recall).

Wait for oil pressure and for the engine to warm up a bit, then push the prop lever full forward, adjusting the throttle as necessary.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that one pump sets the choke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pump once to set the choke, not 2-3 times.
It was more about letting the accelerator pump squirt a little extra fuel in there, if you needed it. I had a 450cfm Holley race carb (no choke) on my '68 F-100 (240 I6, with an Offenhauser intake). 3 pumps would do it, and you just had to hold the idle up with your foot for a couple of minutes.  

My '89 YJ (Motorcraft 2bbl conversion by yours truly) had a manual choke. Once to the floor, hold it, pull the choke, off the gas, start it. Fired every time, even in the middle of winter. Putting the pedal down before pulling the choke put the throttle on fast idle. You could slowly open the choke back up, but the idle screw remained on the fast idle step. You just whacked the gas real quick to drop the idle.

My 65 Galaxie 500 (428, 4bbl Motorcraft) had an automatic choke. Needed 2-3 squirts to get it started on a really cold morning, but was otherwise idiot-proof. I did have to adjust the choke twice a year.

I understand that untuned cars need that.
Bah.  

I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that one pump sets the choke.

Yep.  Since it was driven last, the choke coil has cooled off.  Hitting the go pedal pops the choke plate back closed and set the idle up again until it runs long enough to turn the choke back off.  Unless carb's choke system was modified.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I understand the nostalgia with carbs--trust me (old cars are my  hobby)--but fuel injection and modern motors are vastly superior, though more difficult to work on.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fuel injection sucks when its really cold.

I could get my carb motor going before the FI motor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your nostalgia for carburetors is unfortunate, fuel injection is highly superior. Although I do wish the high beam control was still a foot switch.

Wait...what?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
carb, manual choke and a manual transmission will 100 percent keep your car from being stolen today.

View Quote

You just described my '68 Camaro SS.  Unfortunately, it still has high steal-appeal.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I remember it like it was this morning. Because it was.

Except its 30sec of cranking and then 3 pumps and a crank to fire

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/supercobrajet/68/100_3666.jpg
View Quote

You know, I fixed that problem.  It has a lot to do with today's gasonline, which is designed more towards high-pressure, enclosed fuel-injection systems.  Today's fuel simply boils out of parked, hot carbs or evaporates out of cold ones if it sits too long.

My solution was ugly, but it works freakin' fantastic.  I have an old car that was a bear to start (mostly because I don't drive it every day), and every time I tried to start it, it required a good minute or so of cranking to get the mechanical fuel pump to pump enough gas into the carb and accelerator pump.  Too much wear and tear on the starter and ring gear, and don't like the battery drain.

I bought an electric fuel pump and mounted it in the back of the car, just in front of the fuel tank, and plumbed it in parallel with the regular fuel line, with a check valve on the line coming from the tank that goes to the mechanical (engine) fuel pump.  I wired the pump to a relay and a momentary switch on the dash.  I get in, turn the key to run or acc (which arms the relay), and hit the momentary button.  The electric fuel pump runs, and fills the carb--in fact, you can hear it when the bowls fill and the floats shut off fuel.  Single pump on the gas pedal to give the engine a shot of fresh fuel, and start 'er up.  

It has SERIOUSLY cut down on my start times when she's been sitting for a while.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My 96" Shovelhead kick start only......

Hold the throttle open and kick it 3 times holding the kill button.

Turn the gas on and give it a couple of squirts of gas, pull the choke on.

Bring it around to a compression stroke....

1 or 2 Kicks and it fires up, hold the throttle open a touch till it will idle on it's own.

Remember to take the choke off once it warms up....

If the exhaust note flattens, rev the motor a few times to clear the plugs out.
View Quote

Of course, this won't work on S&S Super "B" carbs.  No accelerator pump (for a throttle twist).  Gotta use the tickler underneath the carb...
I'm guessing you're running a Super E or G?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm 34, and I was fortunate enough to spend my formative driving years in a state with a HUGE car culture, that doesn't use road salt (California). So I had the pleasure of daily driving mid-late 60's cars and trucks for a little bit of nothing, as a teenager. In that kind of environment, you can keep an old car running as long as you're willing. Seriously, you'll get tired of the car, before you're forced to park it because it's unsafe due to rust.    

Having owned everything under the sun, old and new, I think it's safe to say this:

1. Older cars (pre-smog era...that's a necessary disclaimer) are MUCH easier to work on.
2. Older cars needed to be worked on A LOT more often, which makes #1 pretty handy.
3. Newer cars are much more difficult to work on.
4. Newer cars don't need to be "fixed", as often.

I owned a 1965 Galaxie 500 and a 1968 F-100 in 1997, when I was 16 years old. If I was 16 years old today (in Ohio, which makes it worse), that would mean owning a pair of vehicles made in 1981 and 1984, respectively...if we're talking about vehicles made 32 and 35 years ago.

These (even then) were MUCH harder to work on, and if I was an 18 year old in Ohio, I'd have the added problem of structural damage due to corrosion, to add to my woes. Honestly, if you're 18 and living in Ohio now, you probably don't have the option of buying a shitbox from 1981. It'll be more like 1991, and it will still be a rusted out abortion of a vehicle, and even HARDER to work on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 31.  No I don't.
I'm 33.  I do.

The only thing I really miss about those older cars is how it wasn't a pain in the ass to access commonly replaced parts.  I swear, some of these newer cars have to be designed to fuck with people who do their own maintenance and basic repairs.  

I'm 34, and I was fortunate enough to spend my formative driving years in a state with a HUGE car culture, that doesn't use road salt (California). So I had the pleasure of daily driving mid-late 60's cars and trucks for a little bit of nothing, as a teenager. In that kind of environment, you can keep an old car running as long as you're willing. Seriously, you'll get tired of the car, before you're forced to park it because it's unsafe due to rust.    

Having owned everything under the sun, old and new, I think it's safe to say this:

1. Older cars (pre-smog era...that's a necessary disclaimer) are MUCH easier to work on.
2. Older cars needed to be worked on A LOT more often, which makes #1 pretty handy.
3. Newer cars are much more difficult to work on.
4. Newer cars don't need to be "fixed", as often.

I owned a 1965 Galaxie 500 and a 1968 F-100 in 1997, when I was 16 years old. If I was 16 years old today (in Ohio, which makes it worse), that would mean owning a pair of vehicles made in 1981 and 1984, respectively...if we're talking about vehicles made 32 and 35 years ago.

These (even then) were MUCH harder to work on, and if I was an 18 year old in Ohio, I'd have the added problem of structural damage due to corrosion, to add to my woes. Honestly, if you're 18 and living in Ohio now, you probably don't have the option of buying a shitbox from 1981. It'll be more like 1991, and it will still be a rusted out abortion of a vehicle, and even HARDER to work on.

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have never  once needed starting fluid.  That is with carbed 4,6, and 8 cyl British and American vehicles.

Oh, and get back to us in 35 years and tell us how easy it is to get all the shit it takes to keep that wonder-injection working.

They do not even make new computers for vehicles 5+ years old now, good luck in a few decades with your hacked  in vietnam rewired jobs.

I can get brand new ignitions and carbs today for 50 year old engines.  Sometimes simple has a beauty all its own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If only they had a little box that could set the timing of the spark and the fuel/air mixture to the proper stoichiometric ratio for combustion upon starting the vehicle...

And if something wasn't right you could plug another box into the first box and it would give you an indication of what was wrong with it...

EFI>Mechanical FI>Spraying starting fluid into the intake>carburetor

I have never  once needed starting fluid.  That is with carbed 4,6, and 8 cyl British and American vehicles.

Oh, and get back to us in 35 years and tell us how easy it is to get all the shit it takes to keep that wonder-injection working.

They do not even make new computers for vehicles 5+ years old now, good luck in a few decades with your hacked  in vietnam rewired jobs.

I can get brand new ignitions and carbs today for 50 year old engines.  Sometimes simple has a beauty all its own.

(cough) F.A.S.T. (cough)
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Holley was an OEM carburetor manufacturer. I've been running their carbs for 20 years and I've never had that problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck a holley, The ONLY 2 engine fires I have had was from stuck floats on those fanboy carbs.  Snatched them off and installed properly designed carbs  (OEM) and never a problem since.

Holley was an OEM carburetor manufacturer. I've been running their carbs for 20 years and I've never had that problem.

30 for me.  I used Demons now...but same design.  Holleys are about as simple as you can get.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Wait...what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait...what?
Yeah, that was like opposite world.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That was another good thing about them, they should bring that back. Way better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was another good thing about them, they should bring that back. Way better.

Why not get both?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Of course, this won't work on S&S Super "B" carbs.  No accelerator pump (for a throttle twist).  Gotta use the tickler underneath the carb...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 96" Shovelhead kick start only......

Hold the throttle open and kick it 3 times holding the kill button.

Turn the gas on and give it a couple of squirts of gas, pull the choke on.

Bring it around to a compression stroke....

1 or 2 Kicks and it fires up, hold the throttle open a touch till it will idle on it's own.

Remember to take the choke off once it warms up....

If the exhaust note flattens, rev the motor a few times to clear the plugs out.

Have a Super B on my XLCH, but yes, my Shovel has a Super E........
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You know, I fixed that problem.  It has a lot to do with today's gasonline, which is designed more towards high-pressure, enclosed fuel-injection systems.  Today's fuel simply boils out of carbs if it sits too long.

My solution was ugly, but it works freakin' fantastic.  I have an old car that was a bear to start (mostly because I don't drive it every day), and every time I tried to start it, it required a good minute or so of cranking to get the mechanical fuel pump to pump enough gas into the carb and accelerator pump.  Too much wear and tear on the starter and ring gear, and don't like the battery drain.

I bought an electric fuel pump and mounted it in the back of the car, just in front of the fuel tank, and plumbed it in parallel with the regular fuel line, with a check valve on the line coming from the tank that goes to the mechanical (engine) fuel pump.  I wired the pump to a relay and a momentary switch on the dash.  I get in, turn the key to run or acc (which arms the relay), and hit the momentary button.  The electric fuel pump runs, and fills the carb--in fact, you can hear it when the bowls fill and the floats shut off fuel.  Single pump on the gas pedal to give the engine a shot of fresh fuel, and start 'er up.  

It has SERIOUSLY cut down on my start times when she's been sitting for a while.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember it like it was this morning. Because it was.

Except its 30sec of cranking and then 3 pumps and a crank to fire

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/supercobrajet/68/100_3666.jpg

You know, I fixed that problem.  It has a lot to do with today's gasonline, which is designed more towards high-pressure, enclosed fuel-injection systems.  Today's fuel simply boils out of carbs if it sits too long.

On my '73 K5 with a 454, I have a electric pump back by the tank running to the manual fuel pump on the engine. The electric pump will push fuel through the manual pump and fill the carb....
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

30 for me.  I used Demons now...but same design.  Holleys are about as simple as you can get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck a holley, The ONLY 2 engine fires I have had was from stuck floats on those fanboy carbs.  Snatched them off and installed properly designed carbs  (OEM) and never a problem since.

I kinda liked Predator carbs for performance applications back in the day. They were simple as a rubber mallet.

Are they even in business?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

(cough) F.A.S.T. (cough)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If only they had a little box that could set the timing of the spark and the fuel/air mixture to the proper stoichiometric ratio for combustion upon starting the vehicle...

And if something wasn't right you could plug another box into the first box and it would give you an indication of what was wrong with it...

EFI>Mechanical FI>Spraying starting fluid into the intake>carburetor

(cough) F.A.S.T. (cough)

Yup. Or Megasquirt, Holley EFI, MSD Atomic EFI, Edelbrock, Electromotive, Dynatek, AFI... I could keep going, it's a pretty big industry.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
On my '73 K5 with a 454, I have a electric pump back by the tank running to the manual fuel pump on the engine. The electric pump will push fuel through the manual pump and fill the carb....
View Quote

I was afraid to go that route, because I wasn't sure how free-flowing the electric pump would be when shut off.  I split my tanks "out" line in two, put a check valve on one side and the electric fuel pump on the other, and then tied them both back into the fuel line.  The check valve keeps fuel coming out of the electric pump from going straight back into the tank, while offering minimal restriction for the mechanical pump to pull through.

Maybe I overthought it...LOL

Just embarassing being a car guy, and having to wait for the carb to fill.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yup. Or Megasquirt, Holley EFI, MSD Atomic EFI, Edelbrock, Electromotive, Dynatek, AFI... I could keep going, it's a pretty big industry.
View Quote

Yep.

The only thing holding me back is cost.  Complete systems cost as much as 6-71 blowers.

I'm honestly very tempted to modify an old Crower BBC FI setup--calliope stacks--to EFI...but man, that cost...
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was afraid to go that route, because I wasn't sure how free-flowing the electric pump would be when shut off.  I split my tanks "out" line in two, put a check valve on one side and the electric fuel pump on the other, and then tied them both back into the fuel line.  The check valve keeps fuel coming out of the electric pump from going straight back into the tank, while offering minimal restriction for the mechanical pump to pull through.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run the electric all the time, with the mechanical pump. One pushes better, the other pulls better......

Have a separate switch to turn the electric pump off..........
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep.

The only thing holding me back is cost.  Complete systems cost as much as 6-71 blowers.

I'm honestly very tempted to modify an old Crower BBC FI setup--calliope stacks--to EFI...but man, that cost...[img]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I'm honestly very tempted to modify an old Crower BBC FI setup--calliope stacks--to EFI...but man, that cost...[img]

When you do something that cool, you save up and just ignore the cost.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I have two cars that it is still necessary to set the choke, 69 AMX and 74 Javelin.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Believe it or not my first car was a 1935 Chevrolet Master DeLuxe four door sedan with suicide doors front and back.  It also had  a 206 cubic inch inline water cooled six cylinder and one downdraft carburettor with a hand choke, hand throttle and foot throttle.  If the water pump started to leak there was a nut to put your water pump pliers on to tighten the packing around the shaft of the pump.  Tire were 6.500 X17.5' artillery wheels and a turret top.  The body of the car was mounted to a wooden stucture including the doors.  Mohair upholstery and nickel plated everything including fender mounted headlamp that were about a foot in diameter.  Running boards mounted between the large rolling fenders.  Front suspension was knee action shockabsorbers in front and semi-elliptical springs in back that were enclosed and could be greased so they wouldn't squeak.  The brakes were mechanical ... that is right no hydraulics or power booster!  An emergency stop took about a block at 30 mph.  a single taillamp on the left rear.  Three speed floor mounted shifter and a radio that had "H" shaped antennas under each running board.

If the battery was up to par, starting was easy.  Make sure the hand brake is on and the transmission is in neutral.  Pull the choke all the way out, pull the throttle out about 1/2 inch, pump the gas pedal half a dozen times, throw the ignition switch to "ON" and push and hold the "start" button until it starts.  If the battery was to low it got more interesting.  Pull the choke all the way out and leave the throttle closed, insert the crank in the hole under the radiator and engage the crosspin in the crankshaft, turn the engine over 5 or 6 times, now go pump the gas pedal 5 or 6 times, pull the throttle out 1/2", leave the choke as is, turn the ignition to "on", and go turn the engine crank handle clockwise making sure all your fingers and thumb are on the right side of the handle.  If all goes well it will start on the first or second turn of the crank, maybe the third turn.  If it was winter when you were doing this and it is cold and you didn't change to No.10 weight or lighter oil you might net get enougn speed up to maintain compression for the engine to start.

Yes!  I have started it that way with the crank.  That is how it is done.

It had black fenders and maroon body and would hit 75 mph on the flat without overheating.

1935 Chevrolet Master DeLuxe Photo
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have two cars that it is still necessary to set the choke, 69 AMX and 74 Javelin.

<a href="http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/DamascusKnifemaker/media/Cars/IMG_4022c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb435/DamascusKnifemaker/Cars/IMG_4022c.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/DamascusKnifemaker/media/Javelin/IMG_2376c_zps0b6fe72a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb435/DamascusKnifemaker/Javelin/IMG_2376c_zps0b6fe72a.jpg</a>
View Quote

I think I have a set of Minnesota license plate that reads:  AMX 390
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, same here. 1970 Chevy C-10 manual choke. Loved that truck! Consequently it was the last Chevy vehicle I will ever drive.
I happen to see one just like it recently in a movie called "Seems like a good notion" with Paul Newman....
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/DamascusKnifemaker/media/Cars/IMG_4022c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb435/DamascusKnifemaker/Cars/IMG_4022c.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/DamascusKnifemaker/media/Javelin/IMG_2376c_zps0b6fe72a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb435/DamascusKnifemaker/Javelin/IMG_2376c_zps0b6fe72a.jpg</a>

I tried to IM you but your in box is full. Are you interested in getting rid of those plates?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yep.

I'm honestly very tempted to modify an old Crower BBC FI setup--calliope stacks--to EFI...but man, that cost...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Oh I know, I bought a Holley HP system last year. I was hoarding summit gift cards for a longgggg time though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I tried to IM you but your in box is full. Are you interested in getting rid of those plates?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I deleted a few messages if you want to try it again.  I will have to look for them, but, I am pretty sure I know where they are.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

YOu didn't need an electronics tech on the side of the road to diagnose a carb problem, so I reject your narrowmindedness.

/hotrodder

//electronics tech

///uses carburetors
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

YOu didn't need an electronics tech on the side of the road to diagnose a carb problem, so I reject your narrowmindedness.

/hotrodder
//electronics tech
///uses carburetors
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/hotrodder
//electronics tech
///uses carburetors

I'm of two minds about this.  I've repaired carbs on the road, no problem.  Had tools and parts in the trunk.  So, that's good.

I've never had a FI car break down on me for anything related to fuel delivery/ignition.  So...that's awesome.

I play with old cars--and love them to death--on a weekly basis.  
My daily driver is FI.

And while I love the musclecars of yore...Truth be told, they weren't as impressive as today's musclecars.

We have FI V6 engines that put out as much HP as yesterday's big blocks...and get over 25 mpg, and literally never require work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#36]
OP I know exactly what you mean and I'm only 28

some of our older (1984 through 1986) MB-2 aircraft tow vehicles require a couple pumps on the gas pedal to get them going.

They also have the floor switch for the hi beams as well

explaining these things to people roughly under age 24 can be entertaining
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Wait...what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait...what?
Electronics for the FI do not like the cold.

Relays for one.

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:04:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Relays for one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait...what?
Relays for one.

On what kind of vehicle and at what temperature? The manufacturers have been doing extreme temperature torture tests to address such issues for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#39]
They were easier to work on, but, then again, you had to work on them more often.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Cars and trucks were certainly prettier then.... More class and chrome,real steel and iron....and lots of rust.

I don't really miss the days of points and float levels,mechanical chokes and vac-advance......early attempts at electronic ignition were often full of rude surprises like HEI modules just popping for no good reason.

My dodges all he a spare ballast and control box in the glove box....my GMs always had a spare module and a .....what was it?  5/32 nut driver?

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

What I miss are the wing windows on my old Fords. Smoker's best friend...
View Quote
I had separate little cranks for the smoker's window on my 67 Fury III
I miss that old chrome yacht

Some of the classier cars back then had power windows ,where,when you'd toggle the windows down, the smaller triangular smoking windows would drop first, followed by the larger main window

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Beautiful!!

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#43]

No hell they weren't. Miles of vacuum hoses and rubber fuel lines to break down and deteriorate, distributors and point ignitions, plug wires to break down and leak, vacuum timing advance, variable Venturi carbs, electronically controlled carbs, all junk.

Today, ten or fifteen minutes watching the data stream on a scan tool will tell me more than a timing light and a dwell meter ever will.
View Quote

The parts I highlighted in bold were ONLY during the 'transition years' where the auto makers were trying to meet emissions standards without the advantage of fully integrated engine control.  This was mostly between 1971 and 1985.  If you look at cars prior to that, none of that stuff (which was junk) existed.

And cars were simple to work on.  Which was a good thing, because they needed it a LOT!
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

No
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just tried explaining this concept to my nephew. Total foreign concept. I feel old, and cars were better then.

No
Hes half right.

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#45]
... There is something nostalgic about twin Holley double pumpers top a plenum ram
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Carburator nostalgia?  Not just no, but hell no.  Don't miss those tempermental inefficient worthless devices at all.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
On what kind of vehicle and at what temperature? The manufacturers have been doing extreme temperature torture tests to address such issues for a long time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait...what?

Relays for one.

All of them.

Even FI snogos are having a hard time when the temps get low.

A warm battery helps big time but there are times the electronics just don't like the cold.

Link Posted: 12/25/2013 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

RTFM to change the plugs on a '69 Mustang with a 428CJ engine... Unbolt the motor mounts and lift the engine to get at them.......We found an easier way on our Drag Car.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 31.  No I don't.
I'm 33.  I do.

The only thing I really miss about those older cars is how it wasn't a pain in the ass to access commonly replaced parts.  I swear, some of these newer cars have to be designed to fuck with people who do their own maintenance and basic repairs.  

RTFM to change the plugs on a '69 Mustang with a 428CJ engine... Unbolt the motor mounts and lift the engine to get at them.......We found an easier way on our Drag Car.......

Back around '82 my brother had a '69 GT500.  I simply unbolted the master cylinder from the booster and swung it to the side without disconnecting the brake lines.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Remember when some cars had the starter button under the accelerator?
View Quote

That was to down shift out of overdrive  The starter button was to the right,
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top