Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2013 9:05:35 AM EDT
“So the final conclusion would surely be that whereas other civilizations have been brought down by attacks of barbarians from without, ours had the unique distinction of training its own destroyers at its own educational institutions, and then providing them with facilities for propagating their destructive ideology far and wide, all at the public expense. Thus did Western Man decide to abolish himself, creating his own boredom out of his own affluence, his own vulnerability out of his own strength, his own impotence out of his own erotomania, himself blowing the trumpet that brought the walls of his own city tumbling down, and having convinced himself that he was too numerous, labored with pill and scalpel and syringe to make himself fewer. Until at last, having educated himself into imbecility, and polluted and drugged himself into stupefaction, he keeled over--a weary, battered old brontosaurus--and became extinct.”

Malcolm Muggeridge, Vintage Muggeridge: Religion and Society

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds familiar.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Bumped for night philosophers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Were his summation an artillery round it would reap complete mass destruction as it is powerfully made and delivered on target.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Were his summation an artillery round it would reap complete mass destruction as it is powerfully made and delivered on target.
View Quote

Agreed.  I had to read it several times to fully discern the scope of his statement.

Western civilization has become its own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Too bad that much of it seems to have been planned. Intelligent human being in a civil society, don't screw up this badly without an abundance of help. And that help is everywhere you care look, especially in the media.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a habit of seeing things like this and going to Amazon. I save it to my wishlist. Cant afford that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top