BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I guess "in the country" means something different to me, cause this sounds .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I swore up and down I'd never live in an HOA ...Then earlier this year I lost my house in a Tornado..5 months later wy wife and I can't agree on a new house after months of looking ...we finally found ONE in the country that we both liked..we were both so happy we barely noticed it was in an HOA ..So far so good..hadn't heard a peep from them yet...not even any contact info

I guess "in the country" means something different to me, cause this sounds .

2.5 acres , septic tank, well water, gophers and scorpions and 2 lane roads all over the place...its not a farm..but yes its in the country
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Your love of statism has already been verified in the Snowden thread, so this is no surprise coming form you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Honey pack your shit, we are moving."

"I'm sorry, but the HOA does not permit one to move from this neighborhood."  

Some HOAs wont sell without approving the buyer.

Check your fine print.

No sympathy.

Your love of statism has already been verified in the Snowden thread, so this is no surprise coming form you.

You couldn't figure out I was ing in that thread? I'm glad someone read my jibber jabber. That thread's a lost cause purse swinging fest that needed some comic relief.

Anyways, unfortunately, our modern civilized "I'll sue you" society has lead to many unfortunate restrictions implemented at every level of our lives.

The HOA sounds like they own the street in question, in which case, they are fully justified in taking whatever action protects the HOA. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

If they dont own the street, then it's still a dick move, but there might be something of a CoC within the HOA itself that they could for you for an fraction of.

I'd imagine it depends on what the local and state laws say about the limits/reach of power of HOAs.

ALWAYS read the HOA contract before you decide to purchase a house. ALWAYS read the HOA agreement before you sign it (if you decide to in the first place. I don't believe they can force you to be a member). ALWAYS read the fine print.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I normally hate HOAs but I don't see a problem with banning kids from playing in the street
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Old people sitting on the board is the problem.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Statist people like statist neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Cul-de-sacs are good for that.  And bike riding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why on earth would you want your kids to play in the street?

Cul-de-sacs are good for that.  And bike riding.

winner, winner...chicken dinner

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Children shouldn't be playing in the streets anywhere.
Especially on my street people fly down them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someone should ban speeding.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for the children.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Check your fine print.

No sympathy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Honey pack your shit, we are moving."

"I'm sorry, but the HOA does not permit one to move from this neighborhood."  

Check your fine print.

No sympathy.

This. I used to live in Lakewood Ranch, different development and HOA though. They do indeed get to decide who you can sell to. All of them are ridiculous. Mine had a rule that you couldn't own more then 3 goldfish, or 1 bird, amongst other idiotic rules.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's to protect the HOA from lawsuits because the people there are to stupid to tell their kids not to play in the road.
At the end of our street is a park but all the kids just stand in the fucking road and try to stare you down if you try to drive down the road.
I've had it out with their parents on several occasions.  
My daughter won't play with the kids on our street because in her 10 year old mind, they are idiots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!

It's to protect the HOA from lawsuits because the people there are to stupid to tell their kids not to play in the road.
At the end of our street is a park but all the kids just stand in the fucking road and try to stare you down if you try to drive down the road.
I've had it out with their parents on several occasions.  
My daughter won't play with the kids on our street because in her 10 year old mind, they are idiots.

DING!  This is no doubt the reason - covering their ass from the inevitable lawsuit.  Our HOA did the same thing years ago.  I was on the Board, andvotedno - we played in the street when I was a kid all the time, but we did have the brains to realize that cars had the right of way - but the specter of getting sued and having that liability passed on to every other owner was the driving factor.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I see that you're from LA.  This isn't your hood is it?  And if so, can I come visit?  

http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/images/katrina_dogteam_900px.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  HOA's can be good if they are run by competent folks.  My 'hood has an HOA and I have no problem with it.  It's run by mostly good friends of mine that are good folks.  Of course, we have a couple of retards (3, to be exact) in the 'hood that want stupid rules (Oh, the stories I could tell lol), but those folks can't get anything done because they can't get the votes.

The fact that you even have to entertain their stupid ideas is ludicrous, IMO.  Imagine if they were to sway a few others to their side, and one of your friends moved out of the hood?  Then it would be hell and you could do nothing about it.

In theory, I see what you are saying.  In my 'hood, though, it would be tougher than that.  There are about 40 families that are pretty close friends and it doesn't look like anyone is going anywhere anytime soon, if ever.  So there is that.  It also takes a full vote to change anything, so some committee can't just start changing rules.  That vote can only take place at the annual meeting.

I guess the bottom line is that if the HOA is set up properly, it can be a good thing for the community regarding property values and be prevented from a takeover by a small group of 'tards.  My 'hood is run by a large group of drunks.  So we're gtg

I see that you're from LA.  This isn't your hood is it?  And if so, can I come visit?  

http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/images/katrina_dogteam_900px.jpg

That is great!
I grew up on a block where we painted a 100 yard football field on the street and not a sinlge parent cared or complained as we had 51 kids.
People who attempted to drive through quickly learned not to turn down our block.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Such is life. Know what you're getting into before you move in.....

I am on my condo board just to level set stupid ideas. The amount of little hitlers running around everywhere in life would astound you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that you even have to entertain their stupid ideas is ludicrous, IMO.  Imagine if they were to sway a few others to their side, and one of your friends moved out of the hood?  Then it would be hell and you could do nothing about it.

I am on my condo board just to level set stupid ideas. The amount of little hitlers running around everywhere in life would astound you.

micro tyranny.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

micro tyranny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

micro tyranny.

Things recently proposed (serious):

* a pet registry (so as to bill all pet owners every time one has an accident in the hallway)
* force all units to replace hardwood floors with carpeting
* security cameras everywhere (to be managed solely by the person who volunteered to pay for the Costco security package)
* replacing the traditional buzzer system with smartphone capable clients (nice in practice, bad for security and bad for the 50% population who is over 60)

Last year, a non-board member who lives below me called the property management firm and asked them to tell me I need to lose weight because she can hear me walking upstairs. I am 220lbs. She is 300lbs+. Property management company politely declined to do so on her behalf, but I know the owner, and he told me anyway.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Going to be real hard, I don't live in it... I own my own land, I mow my own weeds with a tractor and look at the snow, cause I have Jeeps and don't need to shovel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The HOA next to me thinks we should live by their rules.....

It's funny until they foreclose on your house for $300.

Going to be real hard, I don't live in it... I own my own land, I mow my own weeds with a tractor and look at the snow, cause I have Jeeps and don't need to shovel

what do they do when you refuse to obey their illegal demands?

and for the original story... interesting. they have bylaws to prevent children from playing in the street, but none to control the speeding?
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top