Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2013 1:25:36 PM EDT
In June of this year, unprecedented flood waters hit the Canadian province of Alberta, doing serious damage. During the emergency, all 13,000 residents of the town of High River were ordered to evacuate and the perimeter was secured by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The perimeter was maintained even after many surrounding municipalities allowed people to move back into undamaged homes and begin repairs on damaged ones.

When High River residents returned home, they found that the RCMP had kicked in the doors of thousands of houses and confiscated hundreds of guns. Not a dime in compensation for doors or guns has ever been paid, although some attempt at a process to do this has since been proposed.

A reporter with the Toronto Sun put together a piece on what happened there, and maybe why.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.....
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Do they not have an equivalent of the 4th Amendment?  Isn't this illegal under common law?  I can't imagine there is NO legal recourse in a civilized country like Canada...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
That's some fucking bullshit. Canada is a highly developed country. This is the type of shit you see security forces in Africa pull.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#4]
This is why we don't evacuate.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The RCMP have become a national embarassment.

As far as the High River incident goes... they fucking lied about it... They continue to lie.

They're the dildo's of Law enf.

I've had some professional dealing with a few RCMP...
I have no respect for them.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]
If they took firearms, then I will bet they took some other stuff too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do they not have an equivalent of the 4th Amendment?  Isn't this illegal under common law?  I can't imagine there is NO legal recourse in a civilized country like Canada...
View Quote

Their feet are being held to the fire over this... something thst makes them very uncomfortable.
Good.

Fuck those guys.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's some fucking bullshit. Canada is a highly developed country. This is the type of shit you see security in forces [s]Africa]/s] pull.
View Quote

Or any number of US states
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

cough Katrina cough
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, WTF.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to have to watch this later.  Born in AB so this has my interests
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]
fuck canada, dry
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck the RCMP
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#14]
That is fucked up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's some fucking bullshit. Canada is a highly developed country. This is the type of shit you see security in forces Africa pull.
View Quote

Or in New-Orleans
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
fuck canada, dry
View Quote

What you did there......
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
fuck canada, dry
View Quote

ginger,Al?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In June of this year, unprecedented flood waters hit the Canadian province of Alberta, doing serious damage. During the emergency, all 13,000 residents of the town of High River were ordered to evacuate and the perimeter was secured by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The perimeter was maintained even after many surrounding municipalities allowed people to move back into undamaged homes and begin repairs on damaged ones.

When High River residents returned home, they found that the RCMP had kicked in the doors of thousands of houses and confiscated hundreds of guns. Not a dime in compensation for doors or guns has ever been paid, although some attempt at a process to do this has since been proposed.

A reporter with the Toronto Sun put together a piece on what happened there, and maybe why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEQiCDYowi4
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Or in New-Orleans
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's some fucking bullshit. Canada is a highly developed country. This is the type of shit you see security in forces Africa pull.

Or in New-Orleans

Redundant.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Redundant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or in New-Orleans

Redundant.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Holy Shite! !!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoting for my iPad friends.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Friends don't let friends iPad
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Coming soon to a town near you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As far as the High River incident goes... they fucking lied about it... They continue to lie.

View Quote

I was once a prosecutor and I had the misfortune of having to deal with them all time.  They are liars and criminals.  I say this without any exaggeration.  They are the closest thing this country has to an SS.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

It seems like something that they could only get away with once. I don't really understand the why of it, but the how certainly worked on this limited (one town) basis.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Tag to watch later
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I was once a prosecutor and I had the misfortune of having to deal with them all time.  They are liars and criminals.  I say this without any exaggeration.  They are the closest thing this country has to an SS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That bad?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Everyone should watch this whole video. It's not just about some isolated thing that happened to a town in Canada ... it is a lesson in what can - and maybe even WILL - happen to us one fine day here in the States. We are just a heartbeat away from seeing this same kind of thing in our own neighborhoods.

Three vital truths come out of this experience:

1. The police are paranoid about gun owners. Everywhere. No matter what they say. And in a way they view us as an enemy.

2. Under the guise of "public safety" they can, and will, violate the hell out of our "rights", and feel justified in doing so.

3. People who think "Americans wouldn't do this kind of thing to other Americans" are woefully naive. Canadians (who aren't really so different from us) did it to other Canadians. And if you think the U. S. military, for example, wouldn't follow orders to violate your rights, you're kidding yourself.

We're teetering on the brink.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you believe the RCMP is corrupt from a causation standpoint?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#32]

You leave my guns alone eh.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because there is absolutely no accountability there.  They can do whatever they want and they can routinely get away with it.

The Commissioner of the RCMP was caught committing perjury.  The man lied before the House of Commons and nothing happened to him.  Read all about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuliano_Zaccardelli

Now can you imagine what would happen to an ordinary person if they lied under oath in testimony before the House of Commons?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's some fucking bullshit. Canada is a highly developed country. This is the type of shit you see security forces in Africa pull.  
View Quote

THEN FIGHT BACK!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If they took firearms, then I will bet they took some other stuff too.

View Quote

Correct.  

They took 7,500 pounds of ammunition.  

It was all "destroyed".  (Yeah, right .)

Why destroyed?  

It had been "compromised".  

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Hosers
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#37]
So they brought outsiders in to do the door kicking, so local troopers wouldn't face reprisal.

That sounds familiar.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

fuck canada, dry
View Quote
Nice.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#41]
That's some fucking bullshit. Canada is a highly developed country.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I guess my memory is off, because I thought we had people defending those actions back when they were occurring.

View Quote

I'd be surprised if there were no defenders of this BS.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I have never seen an organization so universally hated, to include by employees of it, as the RCMP. As an outsider, it's fairly shocking.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm going to have to watch this later
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So they brought outsiders in to do the door kicking, so local troopers wouldn't face reprisal.

That sounds familiar.

View Quote

Are the old guys back?

We need you to stand down for the next few days while we administer public safety old school style.
Thanks for your understanding.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Because there is absolutely no accountability there.  They can do whatever they want and they can routinely get away with it.

The Commissioner of the RCMP was caught committing perjury.  The man lied before the House of Commons and nothing happened to him.  Read all about it here:

Now can you imagine what would happen to an ordinary person if they lied under oath in testimony before the House of Commons?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ho Li Fark

Well at least we put Lon Hiruichi (sp?) in prison when he murdered that woman... oh wait.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow.  Just finished watching the whole thing.

Kicked in 1900+ doors?   Seized thousands of POUNDS of ammo with no records kept?

Makes the Katrina shit look weak.  I have been in High River, it is a small place compared to New Orleans.  Hell, it is small town compared to Brandon Manitoba.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tennessee has a law in place that blocks confiscation during events like these.   'Proposal stopping confiscation of guns now law.'   Surprisingly signed by a Dem Gov after the events of Katrina.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I just finished watching the entire thing. It's nothing short of an astounding abuse of power and public trust - heads should roll.

There's a whole lot of truth to the old saying that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. These same scoundrels in charge will wonder why no one of sound mind will want to evacuate during the next emergency.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Blame Canada

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top