Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/7/2013 12:45:22 PM EDT
I have Googled, and I still don't understand. How is 'mining" done, how do you "secure" it, spend it etc.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I typically find bitcoins under vending machines, or under the washer/dryers in the laundromat. (MINING)

Then I bury them in a mason jar in my yard. (SECURE)

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I typically find bitcoins under vending machines, or under the washer/dryers in the laundromat. (MINING)

Then I bury them in a mason jar in my yard. (SECURE)

You're welcome.
View Quote

Well, that answers everything
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have Googled, and I still don't understand. How is 'mining" done, how do you "secure" it, spend it etc.
View Quote

It's so fucking stupid no one can explain it and only the real smart computer geeks try to convince you to buy it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag because I don't get it either.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, seems illegal and shady to me.  A way to move drug money.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Another fiat currency, with extra fiat.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
It is a digital currency kept secure by seeding transactions. You don't "trade" bitcoins so much as an infinite number of computers on the bitcoin network process the transactions keeping it secure. Bitcoins are stored as encrypted bits of code. This can be stored on a computer or a USB drive. If you lose your password or the container is destroyed the bitcoins are gone, much like losing your wallet while fishing in the ocean or forgetting your bank account number if there is no name on the account. Bitcoins only have value because people use them as a medium of exchange, just like every other currency not backed by precious metal.

ETA: "mining"

Bitcoins are mined by solving things with computer power. The problems get more complex as more coins are mined to the point where only so many Bitcoins exist. Since bitcoins are a digital currency this is fine because you can in theory pay someone .0000000001 bitcoins for something.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless you already have a super computer in your home . It's not  worth mining .
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]
It's really simple:

Step 1: Buy bitcoins with real money.
Step 2: ?????
Step 3: Profit

Step 2 is the most important part of the process.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

All transactions can be tracked. I'm not a fan of it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's my understanding and I may be very wrong:

A bitcoin is based on a number that, when encrypted under a specific complex encryption algorithm gives you a result that starts with a specific value such as 0.

Think of it like prime numbers, it's easy enough to verify that a number is prime as you only have to try that one, but to find a prime number, you've got to check each number after the previously known prime against the algorithm that checks if something is prime. To find a new one, you need an increasing amount of computing power. This is my understanding of how new bitcoins enter the world. There is some sort of data that causes the bitcoin to change once it's used in a transaction and it's somehow based on the next recipient of the coin.

Edit: I don't think the transactions can be tracked from person to person, but that the state of the bitcoin changes with each transaction. Once a bitcoin is "spent" it cannot be spent again as a record of its existence is somewhere in the network. The bitcoin copy with the most changes is the valid one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can only be tracked as transactions since nothing says "John Doe's bitcoin account" on it. Granted an investigation could find your bitcoin information and tie it to you, but the same thing can happen in any exchange if the person is stupid.

Example: Bill buys an unregistered machinegun with bitcoin. The feds track it. They get that bitcoin 3nefrhq324jht3 was transferred from wallet uil1h34u23u4h to wallet o4pji52j3452. They have nothing unless they also have an email saying "hi I'm Bill and I want your machinegun, I'm sending my bitcoins from o4pji52j3452 and you will mail my gun to 123 I'manidiot street."

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is a digital currency kept secure by seeding transactions. You don't "trade" bitcoins so much as an infinite number of computers on the bitcoin network process the transactions keeping it secure. Bitcoins are stored as encrypted bits of code. This can be stored on a computer or a USB drive. If you lose your password or the container is destroyed the bitcoins are gone, much like losing your wallet while fishing in the ocean or forgetting your bank account number if there is no name on the account. Bitcoins only have value because people use them as a medium of exchange, just like every other currency not backed by precious metal.

Bitcoins are mined by solving things with computer power. The problems get more complex as more coins are mined to the point where only so many Bitcoins exist. Since bitcoins are a digital currency this is fine because you can in theory pay someone .0000000001 bitcoins for something.
View Quote

How do you seed transactions?

Is it anything like when they were asking people to sign up and leave their computers on and connected when not in use to do some large math (something to do with space I think) problem only you earn a little bit of "pay" for it?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Is it anything like when they were asking people to sign up and leave their computers on and connected when not in use to do some large math (something to do with space I think) problem only you earn a little bit of "pay" for it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Transactions are distributed through the network. It's not like online banking where the transaction goes from one computer (yours) to a transaction handler (the bank) and placed in an account. Bitcoin randomly distributes the transaction computing among all Bitcoin users.

Pretty much, although the little bit of pay is now a lot of pay and the computer power needed now is massive. Whether Bitcoin value is from actual invested value in the system by users or mostly speculation is anybodies guess and probably a mixture of the two.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sure you've heard of folding@home right?

It works in sort of the same way. Processors are harnessed to do maths and at the end it spits out a thingy.

In this case, the thingy is a "bitcoin".

Mining is done by dedicating processors to do the maths.

At this time, it will cost you more to power the processors than you will make. In other words, negative ROI.

So instead, you can go buy bitcoins at the bitcoin market and have something to show for your money.

That there is my take on it.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article43454.html

Bitcoin Price Crash Towards Zero? The Ponzi Scheme Bubble Plays Out as Designed

The Bitcoin price last traded at USD 790 (this morning) which
represents a 37% price crash against its trading high of 1242,
vaporising the wild dreams of just a few days ago where some reported
that the virtual money could be destined to go as high as 1 million!
Whilst never realising the difference between what is virtual and what
is real, instead in large part bitcoin pumper's remain in denial as many
have been seduced by the golden coin image to imagine that bitcoins and
gold are the same or similar when the reality is the exact opposite.
Bitcoins is fairy dust, it is perceived as being very valuable but a
small gust of reality is enough to make it disappear.

View Quote

Bitcoins is DESIGNED to play out as a ponzi scheme bubble to
enrich those that created it as they mined over a million bitcoins
(current 12.1mln bitcoins) relatively easily (initially low processing
power required), with future supply increasingly limited as much greater
processing power is required to mine more blocks which coupled with the
media frenzy has helped push up the price which the designers and early
adopters can offload into and onto unsuspecting fools. This is a ponzi
scheme where only the designers and initial miners win hugely, that I
suspect will lead to criminal prosecutions.

Meanwhile, over the past 24 hours the blogosfear, mainstream press and
the sales men have been busy writing reams of commentary on the bitcoin
crash AFTER the event, AFTER the bitcoin crash, and many can be seen
floundering like fish out of water as to what direction bitcoins are
likely to take going forward as they delve into double speak i.e.
implying that the price could continue falling or then again might be a
great opportunity to buy, the broadcast news is full of such double
speak by the media whores that populate the likes of CNBC, you know who
they are!

So whilst the media was painting a picture of bitcoins soaring into the
stratosphere, I made it clear in my article of just over a week ago as
the bitcoin price homed in on its 1242 high as to why bitcoins were a
ponzi scheme destined to collapse and what bitcoin holders should do
IMMEDIATLEY.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

There is SETI and there is Folding, @Home.

Yes, you leave your computer on to talk to space aliens, or to fold proteins to find a cure for cancer.

Same concept, and in the beginning you'd earn bitcoins, but now? You won't earn bitcoins. Nor will you in the future.

You can pay a lot of money for mining gear and pay a lot of money in electric bills, in return you'll get a tiny fraction back. Losing proposition.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#18]
God really you people still don't get it?   you mean the 87  threads on this topic didn't explain it so your Neanderthal brains could comprehend ?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Bitcoins is DESIGNED to play out as a ponzi scheme bubble to enrich those that created it as they mined over a million bitcoins (current 12.1mln bitcoins) relatively easily (initially low processing power required),

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bitcoins is DESIGNED to play out as a ponzi scheme bubble to enrich those that created it as they mined over a million bitcoins (current 12.1mln bitcoins) relatively easily (initially low processing power required),

In all reality, he's probably spot the fuck on.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
God really you people still don't get it?   you mean the 87  threads on this topic didn't explain it so your Neanderthal brains could comprehend ?

View Quote

I don't get it.  Still,don't.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Its imaginary money created and used by 40 year old virgins.
Youre welcome.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#23]
1 Bitcoin = 10 Beanie Babies
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry I stoopid, I will shut up and go to my corner and be quite
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is one thing that I don't get about it...
And that is, what makes them have any value at all?
If people stop buying it, decide they don't like it, or want something else instead, then they're fucking worthless.
If BigDaddyGov says so, I'm sure they can be made worthless by some decree or another.
When you mine for precious metals, say gold, then at the end of the day you still have gold.
When you drill for oil, you have oil.
When you mine (or buy) bitcoins... you have bitcoins. This is literally an encrypted nothing that has value right now because crazy people say it does.
And when they change their minds...  you're left with a literally encrypted nothing.
Buy stock in gold mining or oil drilling operations. Instead of buying bitcoins, buy silvercoins, and goldcoins.
At the end of the day, you'll actually have something.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#26]
My question is, where does the money originate? I saw where some one bought a Tesla with bit coins, where did the money come from?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Ah, it's possible to be partly a Ponzi scheme, but it can also be a non-fiat, non-national currency w/o external manipulation, ie, pumping.  One of the reasons the price has gone so high is that folks are using it to evade Chinese currency controls.  There's only a billion Chinese, all trying to keep what they've got from the Party.

So, it has made early adopters rich (those that didn't throw away their harddrives), but it is becoming an international currency.  As such, its value floats on the open market, and b/c it is new, fluctuates wildly.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#28]
My comment from one of the myriad of other threads:

So, someone is turning electricity into heat, and someone else decides that has value, and awards them an electronic token, and then another group of someones decide if that token has any worth as exchange for goods and services.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  There is one thing that I don't get about it...

If people stop buying it, decide they don't like it, or want something else instead, then they're fucking worthless.

If BigDaddyGov says so, I'm sure they can be made worthless by some decree or another.

When you mine for precious metals, say gold, then at the end of the day you still have gold.

When you drill for oil, you have oil.

When you mine (or buy) bitcoins... you have bitcoins. This is literally an encrypted nothing that has value right now because crazy people say it does.

And when they change their minds...  you're left with a literally encrypted nothing.

Buy stocks in gold mining or oil drilling operations. Instead of buying bitcoins, buy silvercoins, and goldcoins.

At the end of the day, you'll actually have something.
View Quote

Just replace every reference to bitcoins in your paragraph above w/ the phrase "US Dollars".  Non-fiat currencies are inherently worthless - they only have such value as society ascribes to them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

My question is, where does the money originate? I saw where some one bought a Tesla with bit coins, where did the money come from?
View Quote

That Tesla dealer turned around (rather quickly I'm sure) and dumped the bitcoins on the "bitcoin ebay".

Some schmucks bought them all, giving the Tesla dealer cash for it.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

The coins themselves are created as rewards for mining.

The value comes from people's willingness to use it as a medium of exchange.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Just replace every reference in your paragraph above w/ the phrase "US Dollars".  Non-fiat currencies are inherently worthless - they only have such value as society ascribes to them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just replace every reference in your paragraph above w/ the phrase "US Dollars".  Non-fiat currencies are inherently worthless - they only have such value as society ascribes to them.

But I can go to Wegmans with my US Dollars and buy motherfuckin' food. I can pay my rent. I can buy gasoline, oil, gold, ammo, clothing, etc.

Isn't that the entire point of money?

Let me tell you what Wegmans is going to say to me if I offer them a $1000 bitcoin for a gallon of milk: "Dafuq is that?"

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
The same way you can buy stuff with dollars. Everyone using them believes they have value. A dollar is a piece of paper not backed by anything but the belief in the continued existence of the United states government. A bitcoin is a snip of code backed by it's security and people using it as a medium of exchange. Either one can become worthless overnight if people stop using it as a trusted medium of exchange.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A small number of people, in the scheme of things...

And you know how fickle they are.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
But I can go to Wegmans with my US Dollars and buy motherfuckin' food. I can pay my rent. I can buy gasoline, oil, gold, ammo, clothing, etc.

Let me tell you what Wegmans is going to say to me if I offer them a $1000 bitcoin for a gallon of milk: "Dafuq is that?"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does Wegmans take Euros or Pesos or Yuan?

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Bitcoins is DESIGNED to play out as a ponzi scheme bubble to enrich those that created it as they mined over a million bitcoins (current 12.1mln bitcoins) relatively easily (initially low processing power required), with future supply increasingly limited as much greater processing power is required to mine more blocks which coupled with the media frenzy has helped push up the price which the designers and early adopters can offload into and onto unsuspecting fools. This is a ponzi scheme where only the designers and initial miners win hugely, that I suspect will lead to criminal prosecutions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Bitcoin price last traded at USD 790 (this morning) which represents a 37% price crash against its trading high of 1242, vaporising the wild dreams of just a few days ago where some reported that the virtual money could be destined to go as high as 1 million! Whilst never realising the difference between what is virtual and what is real, instead in large part bitcoin pumper's remain in denial as many have been seduced by the golden coin image to imagine that bitcoins and gold are the same or similar when the reality is the exact opposite. Bitcoins is fairy dust, it is perceived as being very valuable but a small gust of reality is enough to make it disappear.  

Bitcoins is DESIGNED to play out as a ponzi scheme bubble to enrich those that created it as they mined over a million bitcoins (current 12.1mln bitcoins) relatively easily (initially low processing power required), with future supply increasingly limited as much greater processing power is required to mine more blocks which coupled with the media frenzy has helped push up the price which the designers and early adopters can offload into and onto unsuspecting fools. This is a ponzi scheme where only the designers and initial miners win hugely, that I suspect will lead to criminal prosecutions.

Meanwhile, over the past 24 hours the blogosfear, mainstream press and the sales men have been busy writing reams of commentary on the bitcoin crash AFTER the event, AFTER the bitcoin crash, and many can be seen floundering like fish out of water as to what direction bitcoins are likely to take going forward as they delve into double speak i.e. implying that the price could continue falling or then again might be a great opportunity to buy, the broadcast news is full of such double speak by the media whores that populate the likes of CNBC, you know who they are!

So whilst the media was painting a picture of bitcoins soaring into the stratosphere, I made it clear in my article of just over a week ago as the bitcoin price homed in on its 1242 high as to why bitcoins were a ponzi scheme destined to collapse and what bitcoin holders should do IMMEDIATLEY.

I would not be surprised. The creator is a very shadowy enigmatic individual.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can come to the local market in my town and buy bread, sweets, hummus, vegetables, and other products using Bitcoin. If you live in a remotely urban area you can find someone that will sell you clothes, ammo, oil or gasoline for bitcoins.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay?  And?

How many people accepted paypal when it first came out?

How many people accept it now?  Can you buy your groceries with it today?

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'd probably do that with any non-US currency.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:  Unicorns farting rainbows.

The cyber equivalent of magic beans tulip bulbs.
View Quote

FIFY.

Ok, we know that in prison, cigarettes become currency, right?  They're held onto even by non-smokers.  The non-smoker hoards cigarettes not to help his buddy out - he only hangs out w/ non-smokers.  The non-smoker hoards cigarettes b/c they've become money.

A bitcoin is a decrypted mathematical puzzle.  It has value simply b/c folks that understand it say it has value, & are willing to part with other things of value for one.

We value gold.  If you go to 7-11, and offer the cashier a tiny hunk of gold for your coffee, Ahmed will laugh at you.  That type of currency is not accepted there.  But go down to the jeweler's, and he'll give you cash for it.  Why?  B/c the jeweler happens to value gold.  It's just a base metal w/ no intrinsic value, and it's not accepted everywhere.  Bitcoin is a currency that isn't accepted everywhere, but does have a value within its exchange area - the internet.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the point, not necessarily for black market but an attempt to keep dear leader from monitoring transactions and tying them to people.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I tried reading the wikipedia article on bitcoins. No clue.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to whose laws?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Perfect, thank you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Alternate form of exchange that is just as legit as FRN's.

Actually a little more. At least they cannot inflate Bitcoins.

It has a lot of people really, really, pissed off.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Alternate form of exchange that is just as legit as FRN's.

Actually a little more. At least they cannot inflate Bitcoins.

It has a lot of people really, really, pissed off.
View Quote

The Chinese government is more pissed off at Bitcoin than anyone else at the moment.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another way of saying that would be moving money unmolested.  In other words moving money without the government's knowledge.  

You keep those shackles resting lightly...
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top