Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 12/6/2013 3:40:10 PM EDT
Judge Orders Colo. Cake-Maker to Serve Gay Couples

A baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex ceremony must serve gay couples despite his religious beliefs or face fines, a judge said Friday.

The order from administrative law judge Robert N. Spencer said Masterpiece Cakeshop in suburban Denver discriminated against a couple "because of their sexual orientation by refusing to sell them a wedding cake for their same-sex marriage."

The order says the cake-maker must "cease and desist from discriminating" against gay couples. Although the judge did not impose fines in this case, the business will face penalties if it continues to turn away gay couples who want to buy cakes.
View Quote

Did not know there was a "right" to have the wedding cake of your choice, much less a "right" to force someone else to make it against their will?

Gay people shove their lifestyles down other peoples throats and then wonder why they are resented so much.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Guess not.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
In before all the gays get but hurt.

No pun intended

Edit: And that would be one great tasting sour apple wedding cake
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex ceremony must serve gay couples despite his religious beliefs or face fines, a judge said Friday.

The order from administrative law judge Robert N. Spencer said Masterpiece Cakeshop in suburban Denver discriminated against a couple "because of their sexual orientation by refusing to sell them a wedding cake for their same-sex marriage."

The order says the cake-maker must "cease and desist from discriminating" against gay couples. Although the judge did not impose fines in this case, the business will face penalties if it continues to turn away gay couples who want to buy cakes.
View Quote

Did not know there was a "right" to have the wedding cake of your choice, much less a "right" to force someone else to make it against their will?

Gay people shove their lifestyles down other peoples throats and then wonder why they are resented so much.

View Quote

It was never about anything having to do with liberty (what they wanted represented licence, not liberty, anyways).  It is about using the state to force people to consider their lifestyle as acceptable and even 'moral,' through recognitions like considering gay couples "married" and using courts and legislatures to force these sorts of things, which the marriage thing greatly facilitates.  They are using the state for some rather base purposes.  They certainly have a lot of people fooled in this regard, but I think that will decrease as we see more of these sorts of cases and similar legislation.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Edited...VA-gunnut

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd shut my doors before honoring that. I have no problems with gays but NOONE is going to tell me who I have to work with in MY buisness
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

A judge withhout cops to enforce his edicts is just a sad old man in a dress.

What the judge thinks we are:
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Be a shame if the cake maker "accidentally" used salt instead of sugar when he makes their cake.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I'd appeal. While I'd make a cake for anyone giving me money, the line has been crossed. The gov has no right to do this, none!
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Nobody can stop him from making bad-tasting cakes for gay couples.  Covert civil disobedience is still disobedient.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Why would you purchase a food product from a chef that had reason to hate you?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
F those faggots

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Ya man! Eeeeerp duuuurp.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Be a shame if the cake maker "accidentally" used salt instead of sugar when he makes their cake.  
View Quote

HAHA.  Yeah, this, FTW!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#13]
It's Denver, is anyone really surprised?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Garlic.  Lots, AND LOTS, of garlic.  Gonna force me to support your faggot lifestyle choice, eh?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Cream Cake with Hair?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd charge 1 million dollars a cake for court ordered cakes, 50% deposit required.

Fuck off tyrant "judge"
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Odd in these hard economic times that any sensible capitalist wouldnt serve anybody anytime...as long as they paid the bill.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or Saltpeter just say'n
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Give them an inch . . .
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Since denying the cake isn't a state action, I see this getting thrown out.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Odd in these hard economic times that any sensible capitalist wouldnt serve anybody anytime...as long as they paid the bill.
View Quote

Fortunately not everyone has been converted entirely into homo economicus.  There is a lot more to things than just making money.  One does not lose one's moral beliefs simply by opening a business.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#22]
That's bullshit.

You should be able to serve the customers you wish to serve.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#23]
So some state court trial judge in CO just effectively repealed the 13th Amendment.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Special cake batter

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd charge 1 million dollars a cake for court ordered cakes, 50% non-refundable deposit required.

Fuck off tyrant "judge"
View Quote

Best thought so far.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Or Saltpeter just say'n
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Saltpeter just say'n

I am intrigued by your ideas, sir, and wish to subscribe to your periodical...
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or a TON of Metamucil!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#28]
How about a little cream in that icing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why would you purchase a food product from a chef that had reason to hate you?
View Quote

I have to wonder if this will be yet another case of "no such thing as bad publicity".  I'm sure it's not intentional on his part, but this is going to drive a shit load of homosexual couples to his door for wedding cakes.

If he's too principled, he could always sub out the work, then turn around and donate his gake profits to westborough or something.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not always about the money.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fortunately not everyone has been converted entirely into homo economicus.  There is a lot more to things than just making money.  One does not lose one's moral beliefs simply by opening a business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I just dont care, you come as a customer and bring money and Ill sell it. Money mixed with politics...is unprofitable for everybody. I dont disagree with the cake shop refusing service but I fail to see any profitable upside to their decision..from a purely business point of view. It is not necessary to like or agree with your customers, just get paid for goods and services.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#32]

ACLU attorney Amanda Goad said no one is asking Phillips to change his religious beliefs.

"But treating gay people differently because of who they are is discrimination, plain and simple," she said.

View Quote

Amanda Goad is one of the dummies, and the ACLU is everything except in favor of liberty.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Forcing someone to work against their will?

I see no problem here.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#34]
There is no such thing as homophobic,........ but there sure are a lot of

Heterophobic people
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Come.and.get.it

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Special cake batter

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Eyesofsilver/media/jerkoff.gif.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/jerkoff.gif</a>
View Quote

Wouldn't they just lap it up?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cant agree, if your in business its about the money. Otherwise your not in business and its a hobby.  Both sides of the debate here are trying to mix politics and agendas with business, which makes for a poor transaction.  People should have the right to refuse to serve, however financially I wonder for this cake shop if it was worth it.  Selling a cake to a customer who pays a bill is a simple contract fullfilled by both cake and money for said cake. Bringing personal beliefs on either side into the transaction is idiotic for all involved especially the cake shop if your goal is to make money and be profitable. If that isnt your goal, then I guess thats their choice. I just dont see an upside to anything to do with this mess.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I would love to see a large group of heterosexuals overcrowd a gay bar night after night and see what happens.  And I mean wear their hetero on their sleeve.

Edit:  they should also request country music repeatedly.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm pretty sure the judge's ruling wont hold up to any actual legal scrutiny. I'm almost positive that any private person or organization has the right to contract or not contract in any way they see fit.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Make them a cake from dog shit.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Well if I had to make a cake for the gays , Id make a special one for the judge as well

Id probably just shut the doors, and tell the judge to FOAD.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Principle over profit. What a noble concept. Where would we be if that was a little more common?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Give them an inch . . .
View Quote

And they'll beg for more....
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I didn't see, is he allowed to charge double for the gay couples? He only has to sell to them right? The judge didn't say how much he had to charge.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Money isn't everything for one, and for 2, business owners reserve the right to refuse service to ANYONE. Their business, their rules.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would love to see a large group of heterosexuals overcrowd a gay bar night after night and see what happens.  And I mean wear their hetero on their sleeve.

Edit:  they should also request country music repeatedly.
View Quote

I don't think you'd see what you think you'd see in that scenario.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what the courts would do if he closed up shop and he changed professions?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I guess I just dont care, you come as a customer and bring money and Ill sell it. Money mixed with politics...is unprofitable for everybody. I dont disagree with the cake shop refusing service but I fail to see any profitable upside to their decision..from a purely business point of view. It is not necessary to like or agree with your customers, just get paid for goods and services.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK then, what say a bunch of baby-rapers come to your store to get stuff for their "marriage" to a 5-year-old girl?  Hey, you can make a profit off it!  

See how that works yet?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the judge's ruling wont hold up to any actual legal scrutiny. I'm almost positive that any private person or organization has the right to contract or not contract in any way they see fit.
View Quote

Replace "gay" with "black and tell me you still think that's true.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately no, there's a slew of "protected classes" both at the federal level and some (mostly blue) states. Last I heard, "gay" wasn't a protected class at the federal level, but it was at some states, but I'm not sure if CO was one of them. The point of all of this is to say that:

NO, you do NOT actually have the right to refuse service to anyone you like.

Freedom has been dying slowly in this country for decades.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top