Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/6/2013 3:20:15 PM EDT
Cold as hell here right now and I was thinking about picking one up as they claim to be indoor/outdoor safe. Anybody still alive on here that has used one indoors
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Cold as hell here right now and I was thinking about picking one up as they claim to be indoor/outdoor safe. Anybody still alive on here that has used one indoors
View Quote
Used them in our fishcamp house and i the house for a bit.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Have used them in garages, sheds, the living room.  They work pretty well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I've also used them inside the garage. which isn't sealed up as well as my house. I'd be concerned with CO.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I use one in the garage occasionally. I lift the garage door a couple inches just in case.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Mr. Heater's have an automatic low oxygen shutdown.

Get the adapter hose to use a 20 lb. propane tank.  Using a 20 lb tank is far cheaper to run than those little 1 lb portable tanks.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Crack a window
They are safe

Ran a couple for a week without power, and have loaned them out as the same for others
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've also used them inside the garage. which isn't sealed up as well as my house. I'd be concerned with CO.
View Quote

Thats my concern as well, thats why I was wondering how the "indoor safe" part worked.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one.
Left it on in a storage room walked in and flames were coming out of the top.
Haven't used it since.

ETA. Mine is a little buddy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have one.
Haven't used it since.
View Quote

Well now, I could see where that might be an inconvenience
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one.
Haven't used it since.

It was putting out some heat though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
No fucks given.  If you feel sleepy open a window.  Fuck it.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Heated a cabin this spring with a little one, wish I had brought the big one too
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thats my concern as well, thats why I was wondering how the "indoor safe" part worked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crack a window open around a half-inch if you are concerned about it.   Unless the home is very well sealed, should not be an issue.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy a CO2 detector, place near where you will be sleeping/sitting, and have at.  If the alarm goes off, you know there are problems.  

Stay warm my friend, its fucking cold as hell in big sky country.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used mine in my home and in a 30ft 5th wheel camper with no issues.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Buy a CO2 detector, place near where you will be sleeping/sitting, and have at.  If the alarm goes off, you know there are problems.  

View Quote
CO2 eh?  Just don't breathe too much.  You might set it off.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag for interest since I am still thinking about getting an emergency heater in case of extended power failure.

I'm leaning more to a kerosene unit though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#19]
propane when burned properly (blue flame) does not emit CO. buddy heaters are safe but i would use a CO detector

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Why worry?
You have nine lives, even if it goes down to 7 or 8 that's still pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

propane when burned properly (blue flame) does not emit CO. buddy heaters are safe but i would use a CO detector  
View Quote
This

I have a tri fuel gas fireplace that can use propane or NG and has electric heat too as a backup

The thing burns so clean it doesn't even have exhaust plumbing

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I've used mine in a tent, no problems.  It has a CO2 detector built in.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#23]
In CT, I used one in the basement (mine, not Mom's ) for several years to take the edge off during winter.  I had a pair of CO detectors with digital readouts.  They never registered anything from the heater, but they did alarm when the boiler coughed.

I consider them almost completely safe for indoor use provided you have a CO detector and are not a blithering idiot.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one, got it for contingency ops... never used it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I use a portable buddy in our bedroom nightly. My wife likes to be extra warm. It takes about 20 minutes to raise the temps a few degrees. I also have the big buddy. Both are completely reliable and safe.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I posted this same thread about a year ago.  I went ahead and bought one.  Great unit. Just make sure you have a safe platform to set it on....it gets hot.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought a Portable Buddy last week and have been using it the last few days to heat a 23' 5th wheel, running off a 30 lb tank. It's keeping the RV toasty despite being in the teens outside. Don't think Mr Heater says the Big Buddy is safe for indoor use, but not sure. They claim the Portable Buddy is because of it's low oxygen cut off and its tip over cut off.

Need to buy a battery-powered CO meter with digital readout, but the RV CO meter works when I run the gennie, and it hasn't gone off. I keep a window cracked about a quarter inch, plus the RV leaks air like a sieve.

I think the Portable Buddy is safe enough, but my usual RV heater is an Olympian Wave, which I think is safer for an RV (no open flame, less O2 consumed). Main problem with the Portable Buddy is how hot it gets at the top. Can't have anything above it for several feet. The Olympian is a bit warm at the top, but not blazing hot like the Mr Heater.

The tip over cut off is a nice touch, the Olympian doesn't have this. The one on my Portable Buddy is a little more sensitive than I'd like, but it's not really a problem.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#28]

They're great.  I have the smaller version.  I actually have 2 because I bought an almost brand new one from a friend who was moving to CA and wasn't going to ice-fish anymore.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The tip over cut off is a nice touch, the Olympian doesn't have this. The one on my Portable Buddy is a little more sensitive than I'd like, but it's not really a problem.
View Quote

I like that too.  It's very sensitive and if you try to move the heater and tip even a little it shuts off.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#30]
If you try to run the Big Buddy on high, with only one 1lb propane bottle attached, the bottle will frost over and the unit will shut off.

I've used mine to break the chill in my garage a time or two.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I've looked at them, I don't think they put out the BTU's like the tank-mounted  heaters.  

I prefer to use the bigger version of this one. . http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-15k-LP-Single-Tank-Top-Infrared-Heater-CSA-TT15CDGP/202895385?N=c4lh

It'll raise the garage temp 20 degrees in about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#32]
this thread inspired me to drag mine out and fire it up.. sitting near the fireplace on low...
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Used one last year when I lost power due to sandy..

You can get a hose attachment to run larger cylinders, which I did but it made me nervous as hell.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've looked at them, I don't think they put out the BTU's like the tank-mounted  heaters.  

I prefer to use the bigger version of this one. . http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-15k-LP-Single-Tank-Top-Infrared-Heater-CSA-TT15CDGP/202895385?N=c4lh

It'll raise the garage temp 20 degrees in about 5 minutes.
View Quote

Don't use it in the house
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

No shit it is, all heaters on and it was 59 in the house and the cats water had a skim if ice
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
but my usual RV heater is an Olympian Wave, which I think is safer for an RV (no open flame, less O2 consumed).
View Quote

VERY nice heater.

Can also be used as a free-standing heater - There's a leg kit and a propane tank hose kit available for it.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#37]
No problems running my big buddy in a 30' camp trailer or the house. We have a huge bathroom but like to sleep cold so we fire it up in the mornings for showers and getting dressed. We also have a propane fueled built in fireplace, thing kicks ass but if you walk out of the house and back in you can smell the propane (which we really don't care for). We live just outside Phoenix so cold isn't a real big problem but we're pussies too
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Stinky little bastards
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Mr. Heater's have an automatic low oxygen shutdown.

Get the adapter hose to use a 20 lb. propane tank.  Using a 20 lb tank is far cheaper to run than those little 1 lb portable tanks.
View Quote

got one for emergency heat.  havn't had an emergency yet.

you can get one of those $20 brass backfill dealies at harbor freight or whereever, that allow you to back fill a 1lb bottle from  a 20lb bbq tank.  Or, you can get the long hose, just don't use the 20lb tank in your house, unless it is at its dregs, so you don't turn the house into a bomb.  

Problem w/ back filling hte 1lb tanks is that when the bbq tank gets real low, you dont get much fuel in the 1lb tanks.  

Anyway, make sure you get a little spray bottle for soapy water to make sure your joints aren't leaking.

Also, be sure to get the $9 propane filter if you ar egonna uee the tank/hose b/c the platicizers in the hose can clog up the heater and ruin it.  That filter screws in where the 1lb tank would, then you screw in the adapter hose to it, or a jumper hose that is screewed into the adapter hose on the tank.  You do NOT need a regulator on the tank, as there is one in the heater.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Holy crap, this thing puts out some heat My 28' 5th wheel was 62 when I got home. I unboxed the thing, screwed in a couple of 1# tanks and fired it up, 25 minutes later its toasty as hell in here
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I would use my buddy mr heater in the house in a pinch.  I've got a long hose that attaches it to a larger propane bottle.  Thing puts out a LOT of heat for a small heater.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I like my big buddy.  I wish there was a thermostat for them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would use my buddy mr heater in the house in a pinch.  I've got a long hose that attaches it to a larger propane bottle.  Thing puts out a LOT of heat for a small heater.
View Quote

do you use the larger bottle inside the house?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Like a lot of the others have said, just crack a window slightly and you are good to go
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#45]
From what I understand, they are supposed to  be CO safe working properly, but will consume oxygen.  That is, the oxygen level in the air will drop while they are being used.  Therefore, they recommend that you crack a window an inch to keep the oxygen level up.  The devices are designed to shut off when either the oxygen level drops too low or if they are tipped over.

I have not used one personally.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have one.
Haven't used it since.

ETA. Mine is a little buddy.
View Quote

Sounds like it was workin'... overtime!! Give that sumbitch a raise
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

VERY nice heater.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
but my usual RV heater is an Olympian Wave, which I think is safer for an RV (no open flame, less O2 consumed).

VERY nice heater.

It's a great little heater. Only reason I'm using the Mr Heater right now is that I have a little Wave 3, 1600 BTUs on low, 3000 on high. Not hot enough for the unusual cold spell we're having right now. The Portable Buddy is rated 4000/9000. Big difference. The Wave 3 is usually fine for my climate---I wanted something that would be safe and draw the least amount of propane but still keep the RV around 60 degrees. I only plan on using the Portable Buddy for really cold spells.

One advantage of the Portable Buddy is that it's quicker to start and doesn't require covering when not in use. It seems to smell more than my Wave, but it's still fairly new, hoping that will pass.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Propane, in the right fuel/air mixture will contain no CO. The problem is that rarely ever happens. Some CO will be produced, even if it's not much. However, a bigger issue might be oxygen consumption and CO2 production. Just have good ventilation and you're golden.

Here's me the other day making a hot tub.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
From what I understand, they are supposed to  be CO safe working properly, but will consume oxygen.  That is, the oxygen level in the air will drop while they are being used.  Therefore, they recommend that you crack a window an inch to keep the oxygen level up.  The devices are designed to shut off when either the oxygen level drops too low or if they are tipped over.
View Quote

Yep.

The amount of CO produced by the heater depends greatly on the amount of oxygen present. An oxygen depletion sensor ("ODS") shuts off the heater's propane supply before the O2 level drops to a level where CO production really starts to rise.

This same ODS can make the heater finicky when operated at high altitudes - It either shuts off randomly, or refuses to start altogether.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I use one in my deer shack all the time and I am still alive.  The little 1lb bottles get kind of pricey though.  Nothing like sitting in a 78 degree hunting shack when it 20 degrees and snowing outside.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top