11/20/2014 4:05:39 PM
11/19/2014 7:25:58 PM
Page:  / 3
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 12:57:24 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Spectre210:
Originally Posted By artman54:
You don't tip college professors....never heard of it and they get paid to teach not tipped......
Lighten up Francis....it's a joke.

Sometimes it is very difficult to distinguish between stupidity and a "joke".
Ever tighter grows the noose around the neck of the law-abiding.
FredMan
Scallywag
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:01:03 PM EST
System Message is going to implode.
It's like putting on crampons and walking through a room full of puppies.
AR45fan
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:01:45 PM EST
Would you accept a pill bottle with a bud in it?
Bigshot64
Efficient Recidivist
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:07:52 PM EST

"Guard well the west gate"
Tennessee Squire
Grand Knight of Asshattery

Official NorCal_LEO nickname "jellyroll"
AR4U
Scanning Probe Jockey
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:10:15 PM EST
A shiny, HCN-laced apple left on the desk.
"During the second 100 days, we will design, build and open a library dedicated to my first 100 days." -Barack Obama, May 9 2009
rxdawg
Friendly neighborhood drug dealer
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:14:31 PM EST
If they cut tuition to $2.15/hr I might consider it.
Women and children can afford to be careless, but not men.
ViciousOutlaw
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:14:37 PM EST
Tipping professors is a brilliant idea!

Professors at any competitive university are hired and paid based off of their research and the amount of grants they can get the university. Professor wage/ rank is a result of market forces, but not student market forces. Consider students only a small side product that universities produce.

Fucked up right?

Tipping would actually incentivize all professors to give a damn about their students and make a concerted effort to teach and teach well.

I have had some great teachers. I have had some shit ones. I would love to reward the good ones.

VO

sigp226
freedom hating neocon war mongering bankster
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:21:56 PM EST
Your tip will depend on whether I get my 4.0 on time.
Next time you go to the next James Bond movie, you imagine him going on that mission armed with a sternly worded letter from The United Nations - Bill Whittle

Conqueror of the Test Post Forum.
Old_Painless
The Poster O'Truth
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:22:00 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Inspired by several threads - one about tipping, and one about whether or not college students are really the "customer" (since they pay tuition) - I was wondering what level of tipping y'all think would be appropriate for a college professor.

I've got a tip for you.......Get a real job.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it." - Capt. W. F. Call, Texas Ranger
http://www.theboxotruth.com/
Shooting Stuff Is Fun
DK-Prof
PsychoPolitical Master & King of the PureSkins(TM)
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:22:53 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By ViciousOutlaw:

Professors at any competitive university are hired and paid based off of their research and the amount of grants they can get the university. Professor wage/ rank is a result of market forces, but not student market forces. Consider students only a small side product that universities produce.

Fucked up right?

Tipping would actually incentivize all professors to give a damn about their students and make a concerted effort to teach and teach well.

I have had some great teachers. I have had some shit ones. I would love to reward the good ones.

VO

Thank you. That's the pont I am (partly) trying to make.
This isn't a democracy, it's a cheerocracy !
DK-Prof
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:23:21 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Old_Painless:
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Inspired by several threads - one about tipping, and one about whether or not college students are really the "customer" (since they pay tuition) - I was wondering what level of tipping y'all think would be appropriate for a college professor.

Heaven forbid. Real work sounds terrible.
KingRat
Free Hrairoo!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:24:36 PM EST
Crazy neighbors - Filling the gap until the zombies arrive.
AR4U
Scanning Probe Jockey
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:24:39 PM EST

Fucked up right?

VO

One major problem with this in my experience is that college students, by and large, wouldn't know a decent education if it mushroom-stamped them on the forehead. The best educators often receive poor evaluations, and the laziest (but easy, friendly) educators do well.
"During the second 100 days, we will design, build and open a library dedicated to my first 100 days." -Barack Obama, May 9 2009
EchoHouseBravo
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:25:47 PM EST
Well what was the typical deed? I mean you're supposed to tip your prostitute, or gigilo, right? I don't have experience with it, so I'm no SME...
AR4U
Scanning Probe Jockey
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:27:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By Old_Painless:
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Heaven forbid. Real work sounds terrible.

30calTBLkid
Taste the rainbow, bitches!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:27:58 PM EST

Or maybe like a stripper? If the class is particularly good, students can just get up an shove a dollar bill down my pants or something?

Oh, you.
FUCK BOB COSTAS
Windustsearch
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:32:26 PM EST
Don't get uppity or we'll take away your assistants and make you teach more classes and grade all the papers. We can also put a cap on the cost of your books.

Ret_Puddle_Pirate
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:33:31 PM EST
Are you REALLY hinting DK, that Mods and Admin should be tipped by GD?

MagKnightX
I like to watch you
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:33:39 PM EST
Do you really want to rely on being payed by broke-ass, ramen-eating college students?
Fiat iustitia et pereat mundus
---
Fighting for the right to fight the right fight for the Right!
EchoHouseBravo
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:34:12 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By MagKnightX:
Do you really want to rely on being payed by broke-ass, ramen-eating college students?

Lets be honest... Mommy and Daddy are footing the bill.
badfish274
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:35:21 PM EST
How about a game of just the tip?
Thank you, whomever bought me this team membership.
dpmsguy
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:36:18 PM EST
I am going to revise what I was going to post. I really hope this is not serious.
ReconB4
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:39:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/4/2013 1:39:34 PM EST by ReconB4]
I can't respond to anything where someone actually typed ya'll
DK-Prof
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:41:14 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By ReconB4:

I figure it's that type of folksy mannerisms that will get me some big tips.
Paul
Self aware sack of star stuff
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:42:10 PM EST
My last class for the semester is tonight ... and there are at least three cuties in the class so I went with inappropriate touching.
Celebrating the Second Amendment One Fine Firearm at a Time

Cali
for
NRA
blackscribe
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:42:10 PM EST
Traditionally, it's the other way around. One of the Ivy League schools has something about needing to provide wine and cheese for the students during their final. I had an old-school English prof from there that did just that for our final. Also, it was awesome in other ways. It didn't count for a grade, but that's when you found out *why* he wanted the majority of assignments done in your own handwriting: he compared the handwriting on the final to the earlier assignments to see if the students were the actual authors. I think we had about three folks that had a 'come to Jesus' moment (or a 'come to the Liberal Devil' moment) while I enjoyed some excellent refreshments. That guy did all sorts of stuff that was expressly against the law/campus policies (contract grading, having others grade for him, etc.) and I *loved* his class. It's one of the very few required liberal arts electives that I actually enjoyed.
dbrowne1
Zero Force Member
Hometown Dealer
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:42:58 PM EST
I thought you got paid to bring in grant money and publish stuff in the "literature?"

Nobody cares about teaching.
DK-Prof
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:45:31 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By dbrowne1:
I thought you got paid to bring in grant money and publish stuff in the "literature?"

Nobody cares about teaching.

Exactly.

But my point is that perhaps a tipping jar would make me care.
AeroE
I Was Free Born
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:45:31 PM EST

I've given a few profs extremely generous "tips" and mostly they weren't received with grace.

I yelled at only one or two. Crushed one in his office when I told him he was the sorriest excuse for an instructor that I had experienced; I thought he was going to cry. Drug one smart ass grad student (Indian, dot not feather, trying to teach his first course) down the stair well to the dean's office after he popped off about going down there. The Pakistani students in the class threatened to kill him, so I was pretty well good to go.

It is not easy to explain Liberty to those that are not familiar with Liberty. Kevin Jamison, on explaining firearm regulation to a Massachusetts lawyer. Jeff City, Mo 18 Apr 13.
Kharn
Mushroom Cloud Measurer
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:48:03 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:
I'd vote for inappropriate touching, but I can't think of a single Prof I wanted to nail.

I had one. But she was married to a different professor of mine, and I barely passed his class as it was.

Kharn
Eagle157
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:48:29 PM EST
With the price of tuition as high as it is, the college should be tipping my kids for attending.
LoBrau
The Virginian
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:48:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By ReconB4:

I figure it's that type of folksy mannerisms that will get me some big tips.

Not if you keep misspelling"y'all."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
The best defense is an indiscriminate offense.
beardog30
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:49:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/4/2013 1:51:57 PM EST by beardog30]

Especially fuzzy foreigners that have jobs in the gilded halls of academia.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
12a10
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 2:04:06 PM EST

Fucked up right?

VO

If only that was true. Market forces work for some of the disciplines but not for others. if you want to make good money get a PhD in Marketing, Finance, Law, Medicine etc. If you want to make a lot less go into History, Sociology, Anthropology, English etc.

Heck, an assistant professor in computing with no experience will get more than a nationally recognized full professor in anthropology.

a just world? Not really, but it is reality.

And all things considered accepting a tip would be really unethical, so sad.
KingRat
Free Hrairoo!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 2:05:16 PM EST
I believe that the use of redneck colloquialisms combined with a fondness for muscle cars may forfeit Euro privileges. Hah! He's stuck here with the rest of us.
Crazy neighbors - Filling the gap until the zombies arrive.
macman37
The One Man Wrecking Machine
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 2:08:50 PM EST
Here's my tip: Don't pet barking dogs.
Let's Go Red Wings!

Beautifying the world one logo at a time since 1993.

Ronin graphic design expert.

Soli Deo Gloria
dbrowne1
Zero Force Member
Hometown Dealer
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 2:09:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/4/2013 2:09:48 PM EST by dbrowne1]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By AeroE:

I've given a few profs extremely generous "tips" and mostly they weren't received with grace.

I yelled at only one or two. Crushed one in his office when I told him he was the sorriest excuse for an instructor that I had experienced; I thought he was going to cry. Drug one smart ass grad student (Indian, dot not feather, trying to teach his first course) down the stair well to the dean's office after he popped off about going down there. The Pakistani students in the class threatened to kill him, so I was pretty well good to go.

I'm surprised you had anyone who could actually speak English in an engineering program. Did you have to yell at them in foreign tongues, or did you just use hand gestures?
Snips
COINTELPRO Agent
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 2:14:07 PM EST
Tips should be based on the tipping customs of the professor's country instead of the country he's currently in.
"Some people claim to want to hear others views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - Shenanigunz
mcgredo
I Have A Plan!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 2:16:00 PM EST
There is no such thing as inappropriate touching by coeds.
AR45fan
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 2:25:13 PM EST
Actually, come to think of it, teachers frequently receive tips from satisfied patrons. Every Chstmas I get gifts, including a god amount of Panera/Starbucks/Applebees/etc. gift cards from the parents of my students. I don't ask for them or expect it, but I get them.
DK-Prof
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 2:43:51 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Snips:
Tips should be based on the tipping customs of the professor's country instead of the country he's currently in.

Dang.
ByNameRequest
Humble yet lovable
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 2:43:57 PM EST
No way.

I've learned that the job of professors is to write conduct research on subjects that no one cares about in the slightest, and publish them in places that 11 or 12 people in the field have ever heard of. (1)

(1) see page 349, "The Avian Zoological Imperative in the Keynesian Re-Valuation of Dresser Drawers Upon Closing Action by Pseudo-Trans-Gendered Red Coats", The Royal Copenhagen Snuff Journal of Economics and Borscht Recipes, December, 2013.
Do not trust even your own brother, have no friends, no confidants...when you sleep, guard your own heart, for on the day of misfortune no man has true followers. --Amenemhet I
DK-Prof
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 2:46:24 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By ByNameRequest:
No way.

I've learned that the job of professors is to write conduct research on subjects that no one cares about in the slightest, and publish them in places that 11 or 12 people in the field have ever heard of. (1)

(1) see page 349, "The Avian Zoological Imperative in the Keynesian Re-Valuation of Dresser Drawers Upon Closing Action by Pseudo-Trans-Gendered Red Coats", The Royal Copenhagen Snuff Journal of Economics and Borscht Recipes, December, 2013.

Btw, I think the 11 or 12 estimate is generous.
basselope22
A gun is just a tool to throw rocks faster.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 2:55:21 PM EST
A handshake and a "I enjoyed your class" is the most you crazy bastards will get out of me.

"The person who loves everybody and feels at home everywhere is the true hater of mankind. He expects nothing of men, so no form of depravity can outrage him."
wild_Texas
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 3:09:19 PM EST
There have been a few college instructors I wish had a suggestions box in their class. If there had been a tip jar I am fairly certain it would have ended up with fecal matter in it.
DK-Prof
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 3:11:52 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By wild_Texas:
There have been a few college instructors I wish had a suggestions box in their class. If there had been a tip jar I am fairly certain it would have ended up with fecal matter in it.

On the teaching evaluation forms at most schools, there's usually a section for comments, so that's sort of like a suggestion/feedback box.

We call it " the part that nobody reads"
Frog_Legs
COLA Warrior Troubadour
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 3:28:05 PM EST
Oh, so it's tips you want. Ok…..

Buy low, sell high and avoid the margin.

Don't eat the yellow snow.

Your welcome…….
No trees were destroyed in the preparation and delivery of this message. However, billions of electrons were seriously perturbed.
Jarhead_22
Passing you on the OODA loop
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 3:36:54 PM EST
fucking incomprehensible foreigner

We've all had to deal with that guy.
Do not attempt. Professional driver on a closed course.
Screechjet1
Apex Poster
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 3:40:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By FluffyTheCat:

College professors are useless, over paid, commie fucks. They ought to refund part of their salary to their students.

That hurts me, right in the feels.

I didn't think Swedes had feelings
"Only poets make strategy without budgets." -Douhet
dbrowne1
Zero Force Member
Hometown Dealer
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/4/2013 3:48:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By wild_Texas:

On the teaching evaluation forms at most schools, there's usually a section for comments, so that's sort of like a suggestion/feedback box.

We call it " the part that nobody reads"

We always had fun with those forms. One of my law school profs was a borderline elite marathon runner, but was probably 130lbs soaking wet and kind of looked like Harry Potter. So we'd put things like this on his evals:

Strengths: Wizard dueling; running really far
Weaknesses: Forearms

Page:  / 3