Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2013 3:06:50 PM EDT
So I just bought a pack of locks because I was able to make my Ruger lock that came with my 10/22 work for locking a can with the latch partially out. But there isn't enough space on the ones I just bought What kind of creative ideas does arfcom have?

There will be a thread about the purpose of this project at a later point

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh, lead wire seal?  Doesn't lock it but makes it tamper proof. Zip ties do the same thing
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I found at my local army navy store a steel latch you clamp on the ammo can and you throw a lock on it.  Keeps it from opening.  Let me see if I can find a pic.

Just google ammo can lock.

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Uh, lead wire seal?  Doesn't lock it but makes it tamper proof. Zip ties do the same thing
View Quote

Needs to be locked because someones been putting their grubby little hands into what I'm locking in it

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Needs to be locked because someones been putting their grubby little hands into what I'm locking in it

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Say, when did you start storing battery acid in your ammo cans?

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
or get a sheet metal gun cabinet, lay it on floor flat and fill with ammo cans.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I found at my local army navy store a steel latch you clamp on the ammo can and you throw a lock on it.  Keeps it from opening.  Let me see if I can find a pic.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Ammo-Can-Lock-System-fits-50cal-5-56-60mm-40mm-20mm-Ammo-Box-/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/y5sAAOxyffZSZR-2/$(KGrHqN,!nUFJD6YkwmPBSZR-2M0Iw~~60_35.JPG

View Quote

Pic is incorrect!
you need to lock the latch to the bottom of the box.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a hell of a good idea!

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The kid been using your Fleshlight?
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Needs to be locked because someones been putting their grubby little hands into what I'm locking in it http://

Oh dear god. . .

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Pic is incorrect!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Ammo-Can-Lock-System-fits-50cal-5-56-60mm-40mm-20mm-Ammo-Box-/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/y5sAAOxyffZSZR-2/$(KGrHqN,!nUFJD6YkwmPBSZR-2M0Iw~~60_35.JPG

Pic is incorrect!

I disagree, latch doesn't look like it keeps top from pivoting up, it looks like it keeps the latch from being pulled out.     (I don't have any of these, just my understanding from the pic)

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a easy way to lock them but you will have to drill one small hole. It will be hidden from sight if that's your worry.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a easy way to lock them but you will have to drill one small hole. It will be hidden from sight if that's your worry.
View Quote

well tell us
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Hold on I'll need to take pics. Back in ten
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Adding link to buy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I disagree, latch doesn't look like it keeps top from pivoting up, it looks like it keeps the latch from being pulled out.     (I don't have any of these, just my understanding from the pic)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pic is incorrect!

You are correct, the latch can't be pulled out because there's a button that goes through the hold in that piece of l shaped steel with a lock on.

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hold on I'll need to take pics. Back in ten
View Quote

Hurry up dude I want to see the pics.  Worse then a damn safe thread.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok here is how it looks "unlocked"

Lid opened

"patented locking mechanism"

Ready to lock

I was too lazy to get keys and put actual lock on, you get idea

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Aaaand that can is no longer waterproof. I like the lock bar one. Going over the top looks right, if it was underneath it would just pivot out with the latch. Up, it prevents the latch from pulling out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't need it to be waterproof, it's bolted to a motorcycle to hold my rain suit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

See that wire loop in  the pic? It might take a few attempts to find a padlock that works, but lift that loop until it blocks the latch plate. Now put a padlock between both that and the hole in the latch plate. Simple, and the only cost is the padlock(you might already have one).

ETA-Yes, the wire loop is easy to cut with a dremel, hacksaw or a good pair of wire cutters in a strong hand, but this method will provide a safe lock against any children in the house, if that is your concern.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't need it to be waterproof, it's bolted to a motorcycle to hold my rain suit.
View Quote

Ok smarty pants. What are gonna do when your rain suit gets wet?
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#22]
You could make that pretty damn easy and cheap.  Get some metal and bolts from tractor supply or rural king.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Aaaand that can is no longer waterproof. I like the lock bar one. Going over the top looks right, if it was underneath it would just pivot out with the latch. Up, it prevents the latch from pulling out.
View Quote

The way he did it, yes, the can is no longer waterproof.  But put a washer on the inside, with a rubber washer underneath, and a THIN nut on the outside, and you'd probably get it pretty damn watertight again.

I still like the other solution better, but you -could- restore the watertightness with his method.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I made my own, similar to the one pictured, that is a U shaped piece of flat steel basically combines the 2 ways the one pictured can be installed.  I just used a carriage bolt with a hole in it for the lock.  I can take pics, but it's REALLY simple.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I have modified a few .50cal ammo cans to be lockable and still waterproof using a u-bolt, extra nuts and washers, and sealant. I think I made a post about in in SF, I'll see if I can dig it up.

ETA: It must have been banished to the archives, but here is a picture of the end result.

Since you want to be able to lock a can without modifying it, you could try to build up a steel cable with two loops on the end and wrap it around the can through the handle and put a padlock through the cable ends.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#26]
For the record I rode 125 miles in pouring rain and left the bike out in the rain overnight, no water inside the next morning.

I had 30 cal cans before and used sealant and an eyebolt and never had a leak
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#27]
They still eating your food OP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top