Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
Page:  / 5
Author
on a Buffalooo...
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 3:43:00 PM
I think I'll solve the problem by just calling it "Look in the fucking hole for the thing that goes boom"

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely. -HST
Subnet
Round on the ends and high in the middle.
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 3:49:20 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By WesDesRat:
Originally Posted By Subnet:
I think it came from doing it on 1911's (you move the slide back by pressing at the front of it). It's now universal, like Kleenex.

I've never heard someone call it a "brass check".

I'm amazed it took until page two.... And of all people, Subnet... to point this out.
When I'm not post whoring here, I do own and shoot quite a few firearms, you know.
Originally Posted By FLAL1A:
Whoever pissed in your Cheerios swiped your manners, while you were savoring the taste.
Old_Painless
The Poster O'Truth
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 3:49:30 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:
Originally Posted By JofoShootin:
But I sort of do, because words mean things.

Then you should express what is really happening.
The process involves checking the chamber for the presence of a cartridge.
Thus the action can only be accurately described as a chamber check or a cartridge check.
This nomenclature also avoids the critical problem of potential confusion resulting from cartridges with aluminum or steel cases.

Or, as I have already explained, use the "Best" term, Systems Check.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it." - Capt. W. F. Call, Texas Ranger
http://www.theboxotruth.com/
Shooting Stuff Is Fun
AudiDat
In case of emergency dial 1911
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 3:50:40 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By JofoShootin:
Originally Posted By wav3form:
Who gives a fuck really.

I don't really give a fuck. But I sort of do, because words mean things. The name "brass check" relays information about what in the hell we're actually doing. And just like the name "press check" has been passed around the cargo-culted, so has the actual check and the reason for it. Now, mainly, people do it because they see other people do it but many of them have no idea why they're supposed to do it. "Oh, I just press the slide back to make sure it's not binding and make sure the slide will cycle" or some other dumbass reason. In a world of acronyms and marketing bullshit, good, descriptive, self-explanatory names are hard to come by. So I hate to see one just tossed aside for no good reason. But other than that, I guess I really don't give a fuck.

No, if you're doing a press check and you know what one is, you're doing it for a reason. Plenty of people don't need the word brass in there to remind them.
Liberalism is a disease devoid of rational thought and facts. Its crutch is emotion. - beardog30
PL#106
Enlightenme556
OFFICIAL arfcom nickname: The Butcher
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 3:51:02 PM
Chamber check is the term that I use when dynamically rocking and driving my platform to the target.
Originally Posted By Jdude:
GD is where you go to see some of the most brilliant subject matter experts in the country argue with some of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.
HuckMeat
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 4:14:26 PM
It's called a "brass check", not a "press check". The name comes from looking into the breech to see brass to double-check that a round got chambered. I started hearing people call it "press check" and at first, I thought I was just hearing them wrong. Now I see people actually writing "press check" all over the place. The best I can figure out is that someone somewhere heard a shooter say "brass check" and thought they heard "press check". Well, tell me then, what in the hell do I "press" on an AR to do a brass check?

Yes, I realize the horse is out of the barn. It's now "press check" forever. But just know that whenever you use that term, people who know better will think less of you.

No, because in the dark, with no light, you are pressing to verify the state.

No brass involved.
VA-gunnut
Because I said so, that's why!
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 4:16:27 PM
"Site Staff remembers when you could buy a keg of musket balls for $1.75"

I'm never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken.
Mister-Z
Smooth IS Fast
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 4:17:02 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Enlightenme556:
Chamber check is the term that I use when dynamically rocking and driving my platform to the target.

You are so fucking Kinetic.

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. -Theodore Roosevelt

bcauz3y
I'm a Tactical penguin
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 4:18:10 PM
Press check originated from pistols, when you press the slide rearward to visually inspect that a round was chambered.

It is used in rifle terminology for disambiguation.
The skill of gathering intelligence data is not hard to come by. The skill of acting on data intelligently is very hard to come by.

-Bcauz3y
TexasRifleman
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 10:06:07 PM
brown424
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 10:14:26 PM
even I hate 13ers
Cuddle Party Facilitator
Lumpy196
COEXIST
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 10:40:30 PM
LOL
Originally Posted By Tom-from-Michigan:
I have fired my rifles in the rain, but that is not the same as firing one after rising out of the water.
WesDesRat
Resident West Desert Rat
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 11:15:20 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Subnet:
Originally Posted By WesDesRat:

I'm amazed it took until page two.... And of all people, Subnet... to point this out.
When I'm not post whoring here, I do own and shoot quite a few firearms, you know.

I'm sorry, I can't take anyone who drives a Miata seriously....

I think OP was born after the Glock 17 was invented... so I can see why he might have no clue.
Originally posted by John_Wayne777: "Just be aware that I'll be keeping my nipple-eyes on this thread...and if anyone crosses the line I'm going to kick them in the flaccid, twisty armpit dicks."
Daytona955i
Donate your body to physics.
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/27/2013 11:22:26 PM
I think you're the only one that heard it wrong. It's a press check and it always has been.
"Mental note: Get tat of death star on backside, make starfish the exhaust port." -- Swingset
USMCINDIAN
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 12:38:38 AM
Originally Posted By WayneD:
Originally Posted By TREETOP:
Pressing on the front of the slide opens the ejection port enough to see if a round is in there.

This is the correct answer.

So again...what do I "press" on an AR?

You de-press the charging handle/latch...

Always heard press check myself...
"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death... Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut
Enlightenme556
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 12:42:18 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Mister-Z:
Originally Posted By Enlightenme556:

Tactical as fuck.
GD is where you go to see some of the most brilliant subject matter experts in the country argue with some of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.
phideaux
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 12:56:57 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By feudist:
Jeff Cooper called it a press check

^this. put your thumb in the trigger guard and press the recoil spring plunger on your 1911.
S-28
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:20:51 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By feudist:

The old man himself called it a press check, when most of the current ekspurts were still shitting thier pampers, and Disco was still new.

"Brass check" is some new term, thought up to appear as bieng original.
Sounds a bit queer as well...probably came from some hair gel wearing Metro nancy.

BOKNAAAIIIII!!!!!!
DVCAPI
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:34:59 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By whatarippa:
Originally Posted By feudist:

Way back in the 80's I believe...

I know Jeff called it a Press Check in 1986 and most today would say they way I was taught to do a Press Check on a 1911 is unsafe........

Back then a Press Check was done by place the tip of your thumb in the trigger guard and the tip of your index finger on the Recoil Spring Plug and squeeze......

This doesn't work with a full length guide rod.
DVCAPI
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:38:27 AM
Originally Posted By wav3form:
Who gives a fuck really.

I don't really give a fuck. But I sort of do, because words mean things. The name "brass check" relays information about what in the hell we're actually doing. And just like the name "press check" has been passed around the cargo-culted, so has the actual check and the reason for it. Now, mainly, people do it because they see other people do it but many of them have no idea why they're supposed to do it. "Oh, I just press the slide back to make sure it's not binding and make sure the slide will cycle" or some other dumbass reason. In a world of acronyms and marketing bullshit, good, descriptive, self-explanatory names are hard to come by. So I hate to see one just tossed aside for no good reason. But other than that, I guess I really don't give a fuck.

Well just because you see Brass when you check, how do you know it's a loaded cartridge, not one the failed to eject..........
DVCAPI
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:43:56 AM
Originally Posted By whatarippa:

Possibly earlier.

Marines have been doing "brass checks" at least since the Vietnam war because I remember reading it in a memoir in high school. And Marines were still calling it "brass check" when I went through MCRD and in the fleet in the 90s. I have no idea when this "press check" took hold, maybe it was Cooper in the 80s. Don't know, don't really care. Call it what you want. But know that it makes you sound dumb to people who know better.

If LTC John Dean (Jeff) Cooper USMC (ret) called it a Press Check, I'll take that Marine over yours.............

He wrote the Book on the Modern Manual of Arms for fighting handguns. I'd have loved to see you tell him it was dumb.......
DVCAPI
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:48:25 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
Originally Posted By OKnativeson:
press check is a 1911 term that is now universal for all arms.

This.

Know how I know the OP doesn't shoot 1911?

The popularity of full length guide rods and the act of putting something inside the trigger guard without wanting to fire the gun has largely done away with the practice. But, a PRESS check is when you hook your left thumb on the trigger guard and PRESS the slide back with your index finger on the recoil spring cap.

Taylor and Cooper both taught this method.

And some people Freak da Fook out when you do it that way......

I was told it was wrong to do that way a few years back at Gunsite.......

I replied to the RO that JC, himself, taught me to do that.......
Orion67
5.56. Faster than 911 - USMC/USAF Vet
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:50:37 AM

Yes he did. I learned the technique as a "press check" when using a 1911. Ronnie was president then.

Never heard of a "brass check" until this thread.
When The Enemy is in Range, So Are You!!
When In Doubt, Empty The Whole F@#kin Magazine
Bacon! 'Cause, Bacon.
DVCAPI
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:56:02 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By 23pistol23:
Originally Posted By Subnet:
Originally Posted By 23pistol23:
No no no. You chamber a round, then drop the mag to see which side the top round is on.

Then you try to remember which side the top round is when only 29 are loaded.

Learned that from Magpul Dynamics.
You drove this thread into my Subscribed workspace.

I thought a press check is what Haley does when he shoots from behind a car.

1) Pull CH back. Stick finger in and feel something.

2) Hit forward assist about 8.7 5.76 times.

3) Bounce up and down with rifle turned 87 90 degrees.

4) Shoot at a hole in cardboard, If you miss the hole you will be able to see your fuck up. Unless you miss the fuckup area too. Then you argue that it went in the hole.

5) ???

6) Profit

FIXED..........
Taboot
Goldmember
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:56:55 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
It's been called a press check for as long as I can remember.

Brass Check? Never heard of her.
Same here.
vidi vici veni

In summer, there's fishing and fucking. And in winter, the fishing is bad. - Kimi Raikkonen

Connecticut. The Constitution State, my ass.
SlowshooterJay
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 2:02:28 AM
we should do OP check.
Orion67
5.56. Faster than 911 - USMC/USAF Vet
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 2:21:43 AM
Originally Posted By whatarippa:

Possibly earlier.

Marines have been doing "brass checks" at least since the Vietnam war because I remember reading it in a memoir in high school. And Marines were still calling it "brass check" when I went through MCRD and in the fleet in the 90s. I have no idea when this "press check" took hold, maybe it was Cooper in the 80s. Don't know, don't really care. Call it what you want. But know that it makes you sound dumb to people who know better.

Never, not in just under 9 years as an 0311 in the Corps (I extended) did I ever hear nor was I taught, any term or technique called a "Brass Check". Not at MCRD San Diego, not at Infantry Training School at Camp Pendleton, not while pulling Barracks Duty on Guam, not in Lima 3/9, not as Range Personnel at Range 214 at Camp Pendleton, and not with Kilo 3/1 13th MEU(SOC). Not EVER! And my NCO's and Senior NCO's had been in Vietnam. My Senior was a Nam Vet, my PMI was a Nam Vet, my Platoon Sgt. at ITS was a Nam Vet, etc. I graduated from Boot in November of 1985.

Many a time I heard "check the chamber" or "inspect the chamber" but never did I hear "brass check". There was not any formal or informal words or commands that corresponded to ensuring a round was chambered in an M-16.

The term "Press Check" has been in use for at least 30 years or more (probably much more, I did not really start reading Cooper until High School 81-85) and as someone stated above, it was the term used to describe the practice of ensuring a round was in the chamber of your 1911 (usually right before stepping in to harms way, or right before holstering and beginning ones forays into the world). As a Marine, whenever I was armed with a 1911 and the single time I had an M9, the chamber was empty. On Guam, where only four of our posts had pistols, the magazines were kept in the pouches and the gun was carried sans mag. I never "Press Checked" any handgun I carried as a Marine.

What was your MOS?

When The Enemy is in Range, So Are You!!
When In Doubt, Empty The Whole F@#kin Magazine
Bacon! 'Cause, Bacon.
ARMALITE-FAN
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 2:55:52 AM

70's
Kali_Refugee
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 3:20:01 AM
Brass check? No brass no ammo Sgt! *braces to get hit under the pretense of it being for a un-expended ammo check*

Oh wait you mean check to see if I have a round in the chamber and my bolts all the way forward? PRESS CHECK
LinggrrLonggrr
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 3:20:32 AM
nut check
NwG
The Inky Darkside
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 3:29:07 AM
[Last Edit: 11/28/2013 3:29:49 AM by NwG]
I got this really cool new phone.. You don't even have to be in your car!!

It's got this bitchin battery pack that looks like a suitcase full of coke or money or something.

It only cost me $6,999.99 and is the lightest on the market at 23 pounds!
look close in the background you can see the top of a 155mm DCIPM round. There are pics involving this, they will not be posted.. If you have an imagination think Slim Pickins meets suicide girl.
LowBeta
boson's mate
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 3:33:17 AM

Yarrrr.
God sometimes subcontracts -- A funny guy
BusMaster007
"Firearms Enthusiast"
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 3:37:44 AM
Skin it back, you mooks.
You'll know what to do when you see it.
Fuck.
Is it really that complicated?
phở kobama
Bohr_Adam
Bootlicking Statist
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 3:38:15 AM
[Last Edit: 11/28/2013 3:42:54 AM by Bohr_Adam]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By 23pistol23:
No no no. You chamber a round, then drop the mag to see which side the top round is on.

I love you, man.

I didn't think this thread could get any better.
That there were multiple people posting under snowleopard's account is a definite. Whether or not those people all inhabited the same body is open to conjecture.
- Mech2007
BusMaster007
"Firearms Enthusiast"
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 3:40:36 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

I love you, man.

I didn't thing this thread could get any better.

Me, nether...
phở kobama
Bohr_Adam
Bootlicking Statist
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 3:43:16 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By BusMaster007:
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

I love you, man.

Me, nether...

Quoting is not authorized until typos are corrected.
That there were multiple people posting under snowleopard's account is a definite. Whether or not those people all inhabited the same body is open to conjecture.
- Mech2007
NwG
The Inky Darkside
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 3:43:28 AM

I love you, man.

Never seen the guys with "29" written one one side and "30" on the other in sharpie? I've seen a bunch, cracks me up
look close in the background you can see the top of a 155mm DCIPM round. There are pics involving this, they will not be posted.. If you have an imagination think Slim Pickins meets suicide girl.
BusMaster007
"Firearms Enthusiast"
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 3:46:42 AM
[Last Edit: 11/28/2013 3:47:23 AM by BusMaster007]
Originally Posted By BusMaster007:

I love you, man.

Me, nether...

Quoting is not authorized until typos are corrected.

OK, guilty.
In the meantime...PRESS CHECK is correct.

phở kobama
Bohr_Adam
Bootlicking Statist
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 3:47:30 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By NwG:

I love you, man.

Never seen the guys with "29" written one one side and "30" on the other in sharpie? I've seen a bunch, cracks me up

I'd never heard of it until one of the infamous forward assist threads, where people were dismissing the whole idea of doing a press check on an AR, and offering that Rube Goldberg bullshit as the alternative.

- Mech2007
44Punk
In Over His Head
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 10:47:15 AM
Why would I give a fuck of what people think of me?
We are professionals. They aren't alarms, they are calls to action. We don't freak out, we don't get scared. We look at what they are telling us and we get to work. -CBRNE Instructor
ILoveGauge
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:42:23 PM

I believe you press check the muzzle break.

Mister-Z
Smooth IS Fast
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:45:02 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Enlightenme556:
Originally Posted By Mister-Z:

Tactical as fuck.

I'm sort of disappointed. I figured you for operator as fuck.
Tactical as fuck is so............. podunk.

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. -Theodore Roosevelt

wingnutx
Super Karate Monkey Death Car
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:45:13 PM
Its a perfectly cromulent term.
Bariatric Pogrom Specialist

Mods, do something about this weirdo harassing me
_RAGNAR_
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:52:00 PM
It's called a "brass check", not a "press check". The name comes from looking into the breech to see brass to double-check that a round got chambered. I started hearing people call it "press check" and at first, I thought I was just hearing them wrong. Now I see people actually writing "press check" all over the place. The best I can figure out is that someone somewhere heard a shooter say "brass check" and thought they heard "press check". Well, tell me then, what in the hell do I "press" on an AR to do a brass check?

Yes, I realize the horse is out of the barn. It's now "press check" forever. But just know that whenever you use that term, people who know better will think less of you.

I'm not sure how long you've been alive or how long you've been doing the gun thing, but as others have said Cooper, if he didn't invent the term was probably using it before you were born.

Brass check ? Nobody has ever heard of that

It's a chamber check and cooper did it as a "press check" on the 1911

Personally we teach "check condition of readiness" which is a chamber and magazine status check.
thorshammerblow
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:56:10 PM
I always referred to it when 'press checking' a 1911.
Enlightenme556
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:56:49 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Mister-Z:
Originally Posted By Mister-Z:

Tactical as fuck.

I'm sort of disappointed. I figured you for operator as fuck.
Tactical as fuck is so............. podunk.

xanadu
Pater Familia
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 9:50:06 PM
[Last Edit: 11/28/2013 9:51:39 PM by xanadu]
JMB says - everyone here is wrong...

Jeeze, I've never seen so much squabbling over simple thi... wait, nevermind
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" - Rudyard Kipling
NC_Preacher
Skeptic
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 10:26:22 PM
I noticed the OP logged in today, but hasn't posted in this thread in a while...

Think he is embarrassed?
Every time you let a typo slide, the errorists win. Fix them. Do it for America.
Epic_Ed
Tier 1 tactical bad ass
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 10:33:10 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By wav3form:
Who gives a fuck really.

pavlovwolf
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2013 11:20:11 PM
It's always been a press check on a 1911 as far as I know. That's what my dad called it, and he was a marksmanship instructor at Ft. Benning, with both the Garand and the 1911 during the Korean War, and left there and was an FBI agent from the mid 50s until the mid 60s.

The other thing, is that he always did his from the rear on a 1911, and never under or over the slide in front of the trigger guard. The method he used, and was taught , was to place the hand on the rear of the slide with the thumb of your checking hand over the back of the thumb of your griping hand, or, on the beaver tail, with your check hand stopping behind the ejection port but mostly over the rear sight, and using the rear sight for leverage.

That way, you can't have your hand over the port or in front of the barrel under stress. All you do at that point is squeeze, and the slide will open the ejection port enough to see a round if one is in there, but it cannot go far enough back that it will eject the round, no matter how hard you do it, because you're only squeezing to open the slide, and that limits it's movement.

You can't mess it up that way.

For a Garand, or M14, or anything like that, I couldn't tell you what he called it. It never came up, other than " Check to see if it's loaded, " and you just pulled back a bit on the bolt handle to see the brass.
Don't go ninj'in nobody that don't need ninj'in
Page:  / 5