Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:Well, tell me then, what in the hell do I "press" on an AR to do a brass check?

View Quote

The charging handle, to the rear.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So again...what do I "press" on an AR?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pressing on the front of the slide opens the ejection port enough to see if a round is in there.

This is the correct answer.

So again...what do I "press" on an AR?

This is correct.  Press check was the original term from the 1911 Manual of Arms from pre-WWI.  It was a term designated to indicate you were pressing on the front of the slide on the 1911 to allow a visual and tactile verification that the weapon was loaded.  People have been applying this term to all fire arms for a long time now...even if you can't "press" anything to do the check.  But the original inception of the term was accurate.

Words do mean something...and these words mean exactly the correct thing in the context they were originally conceptualized for.  History also means something.

Here's one for you, MORTGAGE.  If I say mortgage to ANYONE now days, everyone assumes that I'm talking about a loan for a house.  But that isn't what the original meaning of the word was.  The entomology of the word is a concatenation of two different words.  Mort - from mortality, or life; and Gage, an old english synonym for debt.  Originally a mortgage meant literally a "Life Debt", or a loan you paid on for your entire life.  But that's not how we interpret it now days.

So press check originally had a very specific meaning, but has now been generically applied more loosely for a specific task.  I see no problem with this.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]

JofoShootin
Tail Call Optimizer
Bronze Contributor
Team Member
USA GA, USA
View Quote

You are very lucky.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Brass check

Bass check

Ass check

Press check!
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is this thread still going? OP hung himself.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#7]
You can't see brass at night so you 'press'  on it to ensure it's chambered.   Duh.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here's one for you, MORTGAGE.  If I say mortgage to ANYONE now days, everyone assumes that I'm talking about a loan for a house.  But that isn't what the original meaning of the word was.  The entomology of the word is a concatenation of two different words.  Mort - from mortality, or life; and Gage, an old english synonym for debt.  Originally a mortgage meant literally a "Life Debt", or a loan you paid on for your entire life.  But that's not how we interpret it now days.

View Quote

The entire word is Old French.  Dead Pledge.  The deal dies when the pledge is fulfilled, or payment fails.  It never had anything to do with the life of the borrower.

Also, entomology is the study insects.

But you're right about press checks.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The entire word is Old French.  Dead Pledge.  The deal dies when the pledge is fulfilled, or payment fails.  It never had anything to do with the life of the borrower.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I can't spell...   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology  I could claim autocorrect got me, and it may have, but I was wrong regardless in the above quote on that.

And as far as the word's etymology is concerned, dead pledge is what I was trying to convey from memory in taking literature in college over 14y ago.  I think I was close enough for hand grenades and to get the point across .
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:41:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So I can't spell...   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology  I could claim autocorrect got me, and it may have, but I was wrong regardless in the above quote on that.

And as far as the word's etymology is concerned, dead pledge is what I was trying to convey from memory in taking literature in college over 14y ago.  I think I was close enough for hand grenades and to get the point across .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Now if we could get everyone on board with notion that banks don't give mortgages, I'd be happier.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pressing on the front of the slide opens the ejection port enough to see if a round is in there.
View Quote

Poor form, usually results in covering part of ones hand with muzzle.  Better to pull from the rear, or press from the top of the slide.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top