Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/24/2013 7:05:59 PM EDT
I never heard of Jennings.  A local shop has a few used Jennings Bryco 59 pistols for sale for less than $200 each.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It wasn't founded by John Moses Browning or Sam Colt

I'm certain of that
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Junk. Coworker brought one in .380 to work to show me. The trigger is stupid heavy. I thought it had some safety that I missed. Nope. Just took 25 lbs to break.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
"Ring of Fire"
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Attention OP: Garbage.  That is all.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Hood rat guns.

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Formed after the 1968 GCA. Known as the "ring of fire" guns. They have changed hands several times but the design hasn't changed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Has to be satire....they are notorious. Like a serial rapist on the loose since they were invented....destroying everyone they come in contact with LOL.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Throw-away guns or "body" guns as I like to call them, because they are cheap enough out of a trunk to leave on a body
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
You might have heard of a "Saturday night special"
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd rather have a Nagant revolver.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Pot metal POS
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#12]
1990's junkers
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#13]
The Jennings I have is a POS. It fails to eject every third round and stove pipes regularly. For some reason though I just can't bring myself to destroy the damn thing. I must be stupid.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Jennings I have is a POS. It fails to eject every third round and stove pipes regularly. For some reason though I just can't bring myself to destroy the damn thing. I must be stupid.
View Quote

Take it to one of those retarded "buyback" things.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Attention OP: Garbage.  That is all.
View Quote

This.  They are also likely the in the running for the #1 most often used firearm in crimes in the united states.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Saturday night special, the 380s work fine if you can deal with terrible ergonomics and bad trigger. The 22lrs jammed more than they fired.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#17]
You'd be better served by carnival give-away .32 revolvers from back in the day.  Those tend to shoot, but the timing of the cylinder being off tends to cause these little crescent-shaped scars on the shooter or anyone else standing around.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Man named Jennings started making cheap pot metal last ditch pistols. Somewhere along the line it became Bryco or Bryco-Jennings. There was a civil suit against Bryco in California when an idiot had a ND with a Bryco pistol. The jury gave out an award large enough to bankrupt Bryco.

Along comes Jiminez, a person that worked at Bryco, and he buys up the Bryco name. He starts Jimenez Arms in Nevada, and is still selling them today. The Cobra, Lorcin,  and Raven pistols are very similar if not the same design as the Brycos.

They are basically a pistol shaped carrying case for ammo, and can occasionally be used as a single shot handgun.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live 200 miles from Vegas. It would cost me more to drive there than the buy back would be worth. I need to just put the thing in my forge and then flatten it in my 25lb Little Giant power hammer.

Maybe I'll get froggy and take pictures and post the results tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"Ring of Fire"
View Quote

The Ring of Fire gun companies were Jennings, Raven, Davis, and Lorcin. George Jennings started the whole thing, IIRC with Raven Arms. They were all related through family or marriage. They made cheap guns with mostly zinc frames and slides. Raven was destroyed in a fire. Bryco-Jennings was shut down by a lawsuit that bankrupted the company. One of them had zero security and the feds got involved when a bunch of their guns were untraceable. An ATF investigator went to the plant and walked in, unquestioned, and proceeded to do whatever he wanted. They caught one of the employees who was stealing pistols by the case and selling them out of his trunk in California. I think that was Lorcin.

The guns were crap, but they were cheap. Not everyone can afford the good stuff
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

You're going to get more than it's worth, guaranteed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Suicide specials.
Only need to work once....

-Lee
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Jennings, Bryco, Jiminez, etc. are all crap.

Question: could a reliable compact handgun (like the J-22) be profitably sold at the sub $200 price point using modern design and manufacturing techniques?
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Question: could a reliable compact handgun (like the J-22) be profitably sold at the sub $200 price point using modern design and manufacturing techniques?

There use to be a company called Sterling, that made a small 22 similar to the Jennings. Local history claims that Sterling lived in my hometown in Kansas, and that he designed the pistol himself.  We have had two different Sterlings come into the shop, but I never had a chance to fire them. Handling them, I got the impression the Sterling was made to a better tolerance and with better material.

The only other small pocket 22s I know of are the Beretta and the Taurus clone of the Beretta. Neither being sub $200

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#25]
The JA-NINE was good enough to kill former TN Titans quarterback Steve McNair.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There use to be a company called Sterling, that made a small 22 similar to the Jennings. Local history claims that Sterling lived in my hometown in Kansas, and that he designed the pistol himself.  We have had two different Sterlings come into the shop, but I never had a chance to fire them. Handling them, I got the impression the Sterling was made to a better tolerance and with better material.

The only other small pocket 22s I know of are the Beretta and the Taurus clone of the Beretta. Neither being sub $200

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screen name is fitting for this topic lol.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'd rather have a Nagant revolver.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

E&R Machine Inc. was incorporated in the state of New York in April of 1961 with Eugene Sauls as President and Robert Lindke as Treasurer, each owning 50% of the company. The company' s first place of business was a small 900 sq ft building in Lockport, NY. By 1963, the business had outgrown the original building and they rented 5,000 sq ft of floor area in Gasport, NY.

Their business continued to grow and late in 1971, they contacted Sterling Arms in Buffalo, NY, about becoming the licensed manufacturer of their products. Sterling had been in business about three years and were having trouble with machining. E & R set up a plant at 4436 Prospect Street, Gasport, NY, to handle the manufacture of firearms for Sterling in 1972.

In December of 1973, E & R purchased all the stock of Sterling Arms Corp. making Sterling a wholly owned subsidiary of E & R. In 1975, Eugene E. Sauls, President, bought the 50% ownership of Robert Lindke and became sole owner of E & R Machine. In April of 1978, both E & R and Sterling were moved from Gasport to the new facility in Lockport.

Eugene Sauls owned and operated E & R Machine, Inc. until 1991 when he retired and sold the business to his son, Garry. He also owned Sterling Arms Corporation from 1972 until he closed the handgun manufacturing business in 1984.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.mexicoarmado.com/attachments/semi-automaticas/452522d1367550804-cachas-de-la-sterling-22-lr-stainless-son-compatibles-con-la-25-auto-sterling22e06274.jpg

slide looks a lot like a ppk
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
http://www.mexicoarmado.com/attachments/semi-automaticas/452522d1367550804-cachas-de-la-sterling-22-lr-stainless-son-compatibles-con-la-25-auto-sterling22e06274.jpg

E&R Machine Inc. was incorporated in the state of New York in April of 1961 with Eugene Sauls as President and Robert Lindke as Treasurer, each owning 50% of the company. The company' s first place of business was a small 900 sq ft building in Lockport, NY. By 1963, the business had outgrown the original building and they rented 5,000 sq ft of floor area in Gasport, NY.

Their business continued to grow and late in 1971, they contacted Sterling Arms in Buffalo, NY, about becoming the licensed manufacturer of their products. Sterling had been in business about three years and were having trouble with machining. E & R set up a plant at 4436 Prospect Street, Gasport, NY, to handle the manufacture of firearms for Sterling in 1972.

In December of 1973, E & R purchased all the stock of Sterling Arms Corp. making Sterling a wholly owned subsidiary of E & R. In 1975, Eugene E. Sauls, President, bought the 50% ownership of Robert Lindke and became sole owner of E & R Machine. In April of 1978, both E & R and Sterling were moved from Gasport to the new facility in Lockport.

Eugene Sauls owned and operated E & R Machine, Inc. until 1991 when he retired and sold the business to his son, Garry. He also owned Sterling Arms Corporation from 1972 until he closed the handgun manufacturing business in 1984.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude! I had one of those! My sister stole it from me, she thought it was cute. Actually not a bad little plinker. Wouldn't trust my life to it. But fun.

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Remember how in the old 1950's Superman TV series after the bad guy's gun ran empty, he would throw it at Superman? With Jennings pistols, you throw them first. Very effective.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I had a Bryco .380.

A co worker said he had an old pistol his father had given him, it had been stuffed in a closet for years and he just wanted to get rid of it.  He offered it to me for free.  At the time he didn't know the manufacturer or caliber but thought it was a .38.  I said I'd take it thinking some old S&W maybe.  When he brought it to work the next day I found it was an old Bryco .380 that was so corroded with green crud that the slide would not retract.  I brought it home and soaked it in kerosene for a couple of days until it all loosened up.  

After cleaning and lube I thought I'd shoot it.  My first surprise was the cost of .380 ammo was more expensive than either 9mm or .45 so I just bought one box.  I soon found out that it was a single shot pistol anyway.  The extractor was a stamped piece of steel that had rounded off at the claw.  I figured that was that as I doubted anyone had parts for this gun that was now out of production.  I was wrong as I actually found the extractor and spring for about $5.00 through Numrich (the shipping was more than the parts).

I installed the new parts and the pistol worked perfectly through the box of ammo.  The problem that day was as soon as I had shot the first mag my buddy asked me what happened to my hand.  When I looked down my hand was bleeding from a couple of cuts between my thumb and forefinger.  The slide had cut me like a knife.  I put on a glove to shoot the rest of the box of ammo.  

Seeing as how the gun was striker fired and the safety was plastic there was no way in hell it could be carried with one in the chamber and the weight would have made it a bad choice as a carry weapon anyway.  It wasn't accurate enough to be a range gun and too weak a caliber for home defense so it essentially had no real value to me.

It sat in my safe until I cleaned out a lot of unused guns and took them down to the LGS to trade.  They took the Bryco and I laughed when they put a $175. price on it and stuck it in the case.  When I returned a couple of days later someone had bought it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Send me the slide, I can probably fix it with a hand file and two or three minutes of work

Back in the early '90s (when I had an FFL), I sold the old Jennings .22s by the dozens.  $60 NIB with three mags.  Never had a single one come back.  Not one.  I've owned probably half a dozen of them for personal use/carry, from the old wood gripped ones with the crappy sliding safety that wouldn't stay engaged, to the next gen ones with the decent rocking safety.  I've given them away as Christmas gifts to family members-- they make decent nightstand guns.  Hell, I gave my mother a chromed one with the white "pearl" grips and had them engraved

So long as I kept them clean, they would feed anything, and I mean ANYthing!  And considering the rudimentary sights, they were decently accurate.  Frankly, I find it strange that so many people have so many stories regarding how crap they are.  Of course, I hear the same about Hipoints, and those have a strangely good reputation with most of the people who actually own them.

Of course, I used to hear the same shit about Delton rifles.

The newer iterations of the marque have had some verifiable problems, but the ones I've encountered have been magazine issues, or users failing to clean the fuggin' things.  Cheap pistol uses cheap ammo, right?  And cheap .22 tends to be DIRTY!!!  The last one I worked on was so filthy and crusted that you couldn't get an unfired round to drop fully into the chamber with the slide removed and the pistol held vertically.  Good solid cleaning and, HOLY SHIT!  Suddenly the pistol was firing every time  Admittedly, only with one of the mags.  As I said, some of the new mags are problematic.

Full disclosure, I've never dinked with any of the the newer .380s or 9mms, and I've mostly been unimpressed with the finish on any of the Brycos (the old Jennings, and, hell, even the Ravens had decent finishes on them considering the price point).  

While I wouldn't pay $200 for a Jennings .22 (or for a Hipoint of any caliber, for that matter) if I could find one in decent shape for $100 or so, I wouldn't hesitate to grab it up.

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#35]
They are not "guns", they are "evidence".
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I've owned one... my brother bought it at a gun show because he thought he was getting a steal, and I felt so bad for him I bought it off him (I'm a nice guy like that... sometimes).

I shot a few mags through it before the trigger bar broke. Repaired it, then sold it to another schmuck.

They have a bad reputation for a reason
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#38]

They are cheap throwaway guns made from zinc, mostly owned by the FSA.
If Obama had a son he would own a Jennings.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I seen one today on Armslist for $150 used the only thing I could think of was how I used to see them all the time for $39.95.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#40]
A guy snuck one into the Prince William county jail a year or two ago that he had shoved up his cornhole. Literally resulting in a shitty pistol .
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 12:58:37 AM EDT
[#41]
IIRC, it all started with the original Saturday Night Special.  The Raven Arms .25 ACP and the '68 Gun Control Act.  The Ring of Fire story is about half way down the page.

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/raven.html

My GF got this one from her ex-husband.

At any rate, I sold off that Raven for $150 w/ 2 boxes of ammo.  All I can say about it is that it worked flawlessly when I tried it. Don't worry, I up graded her to a Charter Arms .38 special revolver.  

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 1:02:53 AM EDT
[#42]
$200? thats way too much
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 2:06:02 AM EDT
[#43]
If you have a J-22 or a similar pistol.
There is a J-22 thread in the handgun section.
There are some tips and tricks there that MAY help you get your J-22 to function properly.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 3:34:49 AM EDT
[#44]
How in the world do you get that up there
Quoted:
A guy snuck one into the Prince William county jail a year or two ago that he had shoved up his cornhole. Literally resulting in a shitty pistol .
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2013 4:38:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
IIRC, it all started with the original Saturday Night Special.  The Raven Arms .25 ACP and the '68 Gun Control Act.  The Ring of Fire story is about half way down the page.

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/raven.html

My GF got this one from her ex-husband.

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz55/ma96782/Real%20Weights/RealWeights006.jpg

At any rate, I sold off that Raven for $150 w/ 2 boxes of ammo.  All I can say about it is that it worked flawlessly when I tried it. Don't worry, I up graded her to a Charter Arms .38 special revolver.  

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

These were great guns for "tourist" in Mexico.  Dropping a $59. Raven off the bridge on the way back didn't hurt very much.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 4:43:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I live 200 miles from Vegas. It would cost me more to drive there than the buy back would be worth. I need to just put the thing in my forge and then flatten it in my 25lb Little Giant power hammer.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb435/DamascusKnifemaker/IMG_2823c_zpsbcc5e006.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb435/DamascusKnifemaker/IMG_2823c_zpsbcc5e006.jpg

LoL ! !

DOOOOOOOO-IIIIIIIIIT !!

(nice shop btw )

Link Posted: 11/25/2013 5:49:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Top tier hardware.  I would rate it one step above the likes of FN, HK, Colt, etc.....
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I bought a Jennings at a LGS when I first turned 21.  Total POS.  Brand new it cost about $100 and even that price is a rip off.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#49]
I have  J-2. Found it in a box of stuff, don't know where it came from. I'm scared to shoot it, looks like a POS.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 6:17:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Man named Jennings started making cheap pot metal last ditch pistols. Somewhere along the line it became Bryco or Bryco-Jennings. There was a civil suit against Bryco in California when an idiot had a ND with a Bryco pistol. The jury gave out an award large enough to bankrupt Bryco.

Along comes Jiminez, a person that worked at Bryco, and he buys up the Bryco name. He starts Jimenez Arms in Nevada, and is still selling them today. The Cobra, Lorcin,  and Raven pistols are very similar if not the same design as the Brycos.

They are basically a pistol shaped carrying case for ammo, and can occasionally be used as a single shot handgun.
View Quote

The success of those lawsuits prompted anti-gun cities and even HUD to try to sue gun companies out of existance  -  effectively circumventing the 2nd Amendment.  The goal of those suing gun companies was: "you can own a gun, but no one will make it or sell it to you for fear of liability."   Think what would happen if we applied that strategy to manufacturers of motorcycles, alcohol, cars, big gulp drinks - really anything that could be associated with accidental or negligent injury.

In order to stop these abusive and unconstitutional lawsuits against gun companies, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act was passed with the assistance of corporate America:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_of_Lawful_Commerce_in_Arms_Act

BTW, the Brycos, Jennings, and imported RG guns are complete garbage.  They are actually a rip off in that there ARE inexpensive small caliber guns that work (like the Makarov for one.  The Beretta 22 and 25 or the CZ 82  are other examples).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top