Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Was told about it in the academy, not necessarily a teaching moment, just mentioned in a block of patrolling instruction. Never done it and never seen it done in real life.

I don't really buy into it. Hard to get prints off a dirty car. Plus let's say I get wacked while stopping a red mustang, what are my buddies going to do, stop every red mustang in town and dust for prints???

And regarding the trunk, as someone mentioned most cars have internal trunk releases now.

But if someone gets butthurt over a cop's print on your trunk or taillight, that's some petty shit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do it. Got a problem, don't get stopped.
View Quote

Heh that's what I was thinking.  Don't get stopped for traffic violations and you won't have to worry about it.

But all kidding aside, after reading the explanation of why ... this practice doesn't bother me.

if anything i just wish it wasn't something they had to worry about in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cop touches my truck is going to have to clean his hands...I never wash the darned thing.
View Quote

This and watch out for all that rusty metal officer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cop touches my truck is going to have to clean his hands...I never wash the darned thing.
View Quote

I am in the same boat - poor guy would probably end up suing me for assaulting an officer!  
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
While I love a god JBT thread is it really a good idea to be advertising this info?

Seems like a small step to wipe down your tail lights after doing something unspeakable....
View Quote

If they're sitting there deciding whether to clean off their tail lights, they're as good as caught already.   I wouldn't worry.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Drive a truck
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Heh that's what I was thinking.  Don't get stopped for traffic violations and you won't have to worry about it.

But all kidding aside, after reading the explanation of why ... this practice doesn't bother me.

if anything i just wish it wasn't something they had to worry about in the first place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do it. Got a problem, don't get stopped.

That isn't going to work. If they want to pull you over they'll find a reason. Plenty will make something up such as claiming you went over the line.

I really don't care if they touch my car though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a female officer do that to me when I got pulled over in PA with temp AZ tags (rolling stop). She was suspicious because of the odd plates, but after she verified it I got off with a warning.

ETA:

People are really bothered by the practice? Of all the things to bitch about....

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I got pulled over a few months ago and he put his hand on the left rear panel of my mini-van.  I chuckled.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They taught us that in MP school in 1981. I can't believe someone would be upset about it. Why would it bother someone? Stupid.
View Quote

Depends on the Car and how much they have in a Custom Paint job........

Like another poster pointed out, I hung around people with custom cars & bikes....

You don't touch a Man's Car without permission......
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Stop, please. You just just make yourself look stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before some nut says its illegal for cops to touch your car without a warrant

Gr

Actually, the recent GPS decision could affect this practice.

IIRC, the ruling was if the government "trespasses" upon the vehicle then it's illegal.

Stop, please. You just just make yourself look stupid.

I'm going to assume you haven't spent much time in court dealing with defense lawyers and suppression hearings. They can come up with some humdingers. Who are the judges? Former defense lawyers in some instances.

Nor is it a terrible process to think things through once in a while. If the actual installation of a GPS tracker (not the tracking itself, the installation) without a warrant is illegal (see US v Jones 2012) then one could make a weak argument that "installation" of evidence upon a vehicle that was used later might be suppressed. Sure, it's weak but think of it this way, can you install an infrared beacon on a car during the same traffic stop? How about florescent powder?

Touching the tail light has little to do with officer safety, its to track the culprit of a crime that hasn't occurred yet (therein lies the rub).

Again, I admit it's a stretch, however the pendulum is swinging towards privacy over government interests.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A lot of cops do it.   It was kind of a secret I thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard this and been taught this, maybe 5% of the guys actually do it.  They probably only do it out of habit.

A lot of cops do it.   It was kind of a secret I thought.

Nothing is secret on the internet.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'd never heard of it, and I have ten plus years in law enforcement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's really not.  I've had cases break one way or another on a single finger print or less.

It's common knowledge so the point is moot.

Seriuosly, all you have to do is watch all the Police videos on tv with traffic stops...unless I am SERIOUSLY underestimating the observation skills of a lot of people, I picked up on the trunk touch at 12 or 13 yrs old( which was about 15 years ago)..[shrug]
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]
My brother is a cop and he mentioned it once. I noticed it once after I was pulled over for speeding. One of those huh moments.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I get some shit from the new guys for doing it. My reason is to keep me sharp. Whether it is grandma in her minivan or a case o' thugs in a hooptie (sp), there is that brief moment before making contact where I touch the trunk and remind myself to stay frosty. It sounds cheesy as shit, but it works.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm going to assume you haven't spent much time in court dealing with defense lawyers and suppression hearings.
View Quote

Probably longer than you've been out of diapers.

SCOTUS has almost 100% come down on the side of officer safety and if pushing down on the trunk to see if someone is in there(as has been the case many documented times) is the reason there is no way they ever rule against it.   Besides you misread the rulings on the GPS cases. There is no expectation that a vehicle in public can't/won't be touched.

Yeah, I've seen lawyers float some dumb long shot suppression requests.....and they usually get shot down just as quickly as the judge can stop rolling his eyes.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Unless I have a Bugatti Veyron, I don't care if they finger it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I keep highly deadly neuro-toxins which absorb readily through the skin smeared all over the rear of my car.
Unfortunately, I have to reapply it after each rain.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you have a dashcam, a MDT you've put the plate into, etc. ... then whether you smack a print on the trunk probably isn't going to be the deciding factor these days.

Also, I don't really give a shit if a cop wants to stick his fingers on my trunk lid. Knock yourself out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cop killers have been caught because of that trick.

They are also checking to be sure the trunk is closed, and someone isn't going to pop out behind them.

Yes this is COPS 101.

If you have a dashcam, a MDT you've put the plate into, etc. ... then whether you smack a print on the trunk probably isn't going to be the deciding factor these days.

Also, I don't really give a shit if a cop wants to stick his fingers on my trunk lid. Knock yourself out.

What is the house icon under your name?
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

has this ever happened?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cop killers have been caught because of that trick.

They are also checking to be sure the trunk is closed, and someone isn't going to pop out behind them.
has this ever happened?

Yes, I recall reading about such incidents. I think its a rare thing, but it does happen.

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Do they wipe their fingerprints off afterwards if you don't kill 'em?  
View Quote
No--and what happens when they pull over the next car, didn't get a chance to call it in before they get murdered?  That's right, you get to ride the needle highway because you have a dead cop's fingerprint on your trunk!

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess I don't get pulled over enough for it to bother me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've seen videos of K-9s scratching all over vehicles. I would have a problem with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh noes! a cop touched your car!

Really don't have a problem with this.

I've seen videos of K-9s scratching all over vehicles. I would have a problem with that.

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The 'Making sure hte trunk is closed group,'must not know that for the last decade, all trunks have had internal releases.  They even have glow in the dark pull handles.  Its for the children,  would not want them getting locked in the trunk while playing tag.
View Quote

Yep... But some people's kid's still continue to play games.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't guess it's much of a problem.

How bad could powdered sugar be for paint, anyways?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm kinda surprised some dickhead hasn't reported his car stolen and made them dust for prints knowing who will show up.
View Quote

And they will check the logs and the dash cams and see who the driver was. And wouldn't the dickhead be surprised when he gets the letter from the DA asking to see him about the False Police Report??
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My prints aren't in the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm kinda surprised some dickhead hasn't reported his car stolen and made them dust for prints knowing who will show up.

My prints aren't in the system.

It's a good bet that if you are a policeman they are.  See what he's suggesting, that after they find the stolen car, then a policeman will be a suspect.  

Of course said dickhead would need to figure out where to leave his car, or burn it up or something.  Unless he thinks that getting pulled over by the police who think they are making a stop in a stolen car and then finding the RO driving that car would make for an entertaining few hours.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Taught in some Academies.  You can always tell the new guys cause that actually do it.

View Quote

I've been doing it for 10 years now.
When do I stop being a "new guy"?
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Like another poster pointed out, I hung around people with custom cars & bikes....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They taught us that in MP school in 1981. I can't believe someone would be upset about it. Why would it bother someone? Stupid.

Real simple..

1) Dont get stopped

2) Dnt drive the car on the road then

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard.  

Yeah.  I bet a lot of criminals ride around with an extra dude in the trunk with an AK just in case they get pulled over by the fuzz.    

Or put a light coating of Vaseline on the light after you wash your car.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard.  

Yeah.  I bet a lot of criminals ride around with an extra dude in the trunk with an AK just in case they get pulled over by the fuzz.    

Quoted:
While I love a god JBT thread is it really a good idea to be advertising this info?

Seems like a small step to wipe down your tail lights after doing something unspeakable....
Or put a light coating of Vaseline on the light after you wash your car.  

I watched a dash cam video in a training class of that very scenario, the officer involved didn't make it home that night. That video still haunts me to this day.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I mushroom stamp the trunk lid.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I always drive through the car wash after I murder a cop at a traffic stop in my POV, so no worries here.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I keep highly deadly neuro-toxins which absorb readily through the skin smeared all over the rear of my car.
Unfortunately, I have to reapply it after each rain.
View Quote

Well now we know why the crawdads went away down at the crick.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You dont do that anyway?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess I'll  have to start dragging my brown eye all over the bed of my truck.  No big deal, I'll just add it to the list.

You dont do that anyway?

Wait til he finds out what our hands have touched. He wont want to wipe his browneye on it anymore...
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Wait til he finds out what our hands have touched. He wont want to wipe his browneye on it anymore...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess I'll  have to start dragging my brown eye all over the bed of my truck.  No big deal, I'll just add it to the list.

You dont do that anyway?

Mmmm, bare-handing a sweaty meth addict my favorite.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You dont do that anyway?

MDT, air modem.. but no box of tissues.

It happens.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I wonder if my car would confuse the trick

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't guess it's much of a problem.

How bad could powdered sugar be for paint, anyways?

.  Got me too
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#40]
They also piss on the rear tire to establish dominance.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#41]
hmm didnt kbow that.  if i get pulled over in the future and see them do that im goibg to get out and wipe off the spot they touched befire i take off just to make them curious.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's really not.  I've had cases break one way or another on a single finger print or less.

I've heard of it since I was a kid growing up in a LE family 10-20 years ago (when dashcams werent as ubiquitous as they are today it was probably more useful). However I know many folks that know about it too that didnt have such an upbringing. It's not a secret especially with the advent of the net. Google it and it comes up.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Seriuosly, all you have to do is watch all the Police videos on tv with traffic stops...unless I am SERIOUSLY underestimating the observation skills of a lot of people, I picked up on the trunk touch at 12 or 13 yrs old( which was about 15 years ago)..[shrug]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does nothing anyway with newer cars the trunk can be latched there's a fucking glow in the dark release handle in there anyway.

ETA: Someone beat me to it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
hmm didnt kbow that.  if i get pulled over in the future and see them do that im goibg to get out and wipe off the spot they touched befire i take off just to make them curious.
View Quote

I wouldn't suggest that.

Drive away first.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm not new....I still do it.  Well when I actually do traffic....which is almost never.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taught in some Academies.  You can always tell the new guys cause that actually do it.

I'm not new....I still do it.  Well when I actually do traffic....which is almost never.

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You took my comment as criticism when in truth it was more about the pitfalls of complacency.

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been on for 18 years and still do it.

I must be a new guy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

In addition to touching the trunk I also give them a little "boop" on the nose before cutting them loose.  It's been well received so far.

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I must be a new guy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must be a new guy.

Noooooooob.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
In addition to touching the trunk I also give them a little "boop" on the nose before cutting them loose.  It's been well received so far.

http://i44.tinypic.com/szdc0i.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i44.tinypic.com/szdc0i.jpg
I gotta start doing that!

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top