Site Notices
11/27/2014 12:14:39 AM
Author
Team Inky
Posted: 11/19/2013 5:00:53 AM EST
Physically, why?

Just curious. I went to start my excursion for the first time in 7 weeks last night and it was game over. I put it on a charger all night and it started fine a few minutes ago.

But I am curious, what actually goes bad in the battery? Hopefully mine will be fine.
FreeFloater
0─╥ | Right of center, left of arfcom
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 5:03:37 AM EST
Your Excursion is ruined.

Send it to me for proper disposal.
Danner130
Fort Worth, TX
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 5:05:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2013 5:05:50 AM EST by Danner130]
Fully discharging a battery does not "ruin" it. But it does reduce its life expectancy.

Google lead-acid battery chemistry.
"This is an environment of welcoming, and... you should just get the hell out of here!"
- Michael Scott
RaisedByWolves
Poast woah!??
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 5:07:47 AM EST
OK, you have lead and acid in there.

The acid eats at the lead and it goes into suspension and stays near the plate where it came from. When you charge the battery the lead is attracted to the plate and gets stuck back on. Now when you go to use somepower the lead is stripped off again and so forth.

Now, when a battery sits too long the lead moves too far from the plate and can not get back to it and your battery goes bad.

Aint no way you're puttin all the monkeys back in that can of worms.
RightwingNutjob
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 5:10:53 AM EST
There's some electro chemical hoo haa going on in there that fucks your shit up when they get totally discharged. A lot of times in the winter the specific gravity stuff gets all out of whack and it freezes up. And that's the end of that battery.
Freedom > Freeshit
Windwarrior
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 5:13:44 AM EST
Do plants crave batteries?
There is no road to peace that does not pass through war.
dlshady
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 5:15:49 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By RightwingNutjob:
There's some electro chemical hoo haa going on in there that fucks your shit up when they get totally discharged. A lot of times in the winter the specific gravity stuff gets all out of whack and it freezes up. And that's the end of that battery.

Silly northerner, you know they don't have winters out there in New Mehico...

I do like your explanation though.
KB7DX
Using RF to speed global warming
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 8:13:16 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By dlshady:
Originally Posted By RightwingNutjob:

Silly northerner, you know they don't have winters out there in New Mehico...

I do like your explanation though.

Silly Gulf Coaster. Never heard of elevation and the temperatures that go along with said elevation in the winter.

OP- Like mentioned above, it's a chemical thing.
<-----Not a chemist.
...behind every blade of grass...
TheOtherDave
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 8:29:38 AM EST
In a lead acid battery, sulfation occurs on the lead plates after the battery voltage drops below a certain voltage. This raises the battery's internal resistance, which makes current flow harder and starting suffers. If left long enough the plates will grow enough sulfur scale to short out between cells in the battery. At that point the battery is junk.

You can fix a sulfated battery with a desulfator and basically make it like New again, but one that is shorted inside can't be recovered.

For lithium cells, the chemistry goes inert below 1.8v and can't be recovered.
Never make another person a priority when they merely see you as an option...

"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
MikefromTX
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 9:19:34 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
In a lead acid battery, sulfation occurs on the lead plates after the battery voltage drops below a certain voltage. This raises the battery's internal resistance, which makes current flow harder and starting suffers. If left long enough the plates will grow enough sulfur scale to short out between cells in the battery. At that point the battery is junk.

You can fix a sulfated battery with a desulfator and basically make it like New again, but one that is shorted inside can't be recovered.

For lithium cells, the chemistry goes inert below 1.8v and can't be recovered.

This is the straight skinny.
DriftPunch
Stone Waste of White (It's Ed Mustafa not Kony)
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 9:22:35 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

You mean it's not dead battery elves?
Democrats: Removing the hurts from stupid for 40 years
dramsey2k4
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 9:27:12 AM EST
The sulfuric acid is able to corrode the metal innards and shit don't work no mo.