Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2013 6:00:53 AM EDT
Physically, why?

Just curious.  I went to start my excursion for the first time in 7 weeks last night and it was game over.  I put it on a charger all night and it started fine a few minutes ago.

But I am curious, what actually goes bad in the battery?  Hopefully mine will be fine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Your Excursion is ruined.

Send it to me for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Fully discharging a battery does not "ruin" it.  But it does reduce its life expectancy.

Google lead-acid battery chemistry.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, you have lead and acid in there.

The acid eats at the lead and it goes into suspension and stays near the plate where it came from. When you charge the battery the lead is attracted to the plate and gets stuck back on. Now when you go to use somepower the lead is stripped off again and so forth.

Now, when a battery sits too long the lead moves too far from the plate and can not get back to it and your battery goes bad.

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#4]
There's some electro chemical hoo haa going on in there that fucks your shit up when they get totally discharged. A lot of times in the winter the specific gravity stuff gets all out of whack and it freezes up. And that's the end of that battery.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Do plants crave batteries?
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's some electro chemical hoo haa going on in there that fucks your shit up when they get totally discharged. A lot of times in the winter the specific gravity stuff gets all out of whack and it freezes up. And that's the end of that battery.
View Quote

Silly northerner, you know they don't have winters out there in New Mehico...  

I do like your explanation though.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silly Gulf Coaster. Never heard of elevation and the temperatures that go along with said elevation in the winter.

OP- Like mentioned above, it's a chemical thing.
<-----Not a chemist.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#8]
In a lead acid battery, sulfation occurs on the lead plates after the battery voltage drops below a certain voltage. This raises the battery's internal resistance, which makes current flow harder and starting suffers. If left long enough the plates will grow enough sulfur scale to short out between cells in the battery. At that point the battery is junk.

You can fix a sulfated battery with a desulfator and basically make it like New again, but one that is shorted inside can't be recovered.

For lithium cells, the chemistry goes inert below 1.8v and can't be recovered.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In a lead acid battery, sulfation occurs on the lead plates after the battery voltage drops below a certain voltage. This raises the battery's internal resistance, which makes current flow harder and starting suffers. If left long enough the plates will grow enough sulfur scale to short out between cells in the battery. At that point the battery is junk.

You can fix a sulfated battery with a desulfator and basically make it like New again, but one that is shorted inside can't be recovered.

For lithium cells, the chemistry goes inert below 1.8v and can't be recovered.
View Quote

This is the straight skinny.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

You mean it's not dead battery elves?

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#11]
The sulfuric acid is able to corrode the metal innards and shit don't work no mo.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top